41 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 11:48 AM by Buckeye015 RSS

Does hardcore take more skill?

blb128

So I playeed some hardcore TDM tonight for the clan ops. I was told by a few players on the other team that hardcore takes more skill. This came from a bunch of a$$clowns that noobtubed and used RPGs the entire match.

I dont understand. You can easily kill people with splash damage from noobtubes and RPGs. You can shoot someone in the leg or arm with one bullet and kill. I dont have to be good at aiming just spay and hit with one or two bullets and your dead. Big deal you dont have a HUD and they take way the killcam. Am I missing something here.

• Re: Does hardcore take more skill?

plenty of other trash threads to have a core vs hc argument. Its always the same.

iivrruummii

First thing there is such a thing called a Trophy System.

Second thing there is such a thing called Ballistic Vests.

Those things will make such a big difference in HC, because in core you really don't have to worry about it.

I play both HC and Core, I would say that each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Personally I like playing HC Dom over Dom, because it is easier to protect the Flags with GLs and Nades.

To do well in HC, you have to know more about the game than in Core.

As for if it takes more skill...I base "Skill" on how much you know and how well you apply it, so I think it takes a different type of skill to play HC than Core.

There's not really a clear cut answer on this honestly, since it's so different. Hardcore is about hiding, staring down your sights, and taking out anything that moves. Kinda similar to a real-life battle scenario. The level of camping in Core is nowhere close to Hardcore. You have to know where the enemies are before you can even think about moving. You have to play much more cautiously and strategically. If they see you before you see them, you're dead.

Core is the opposite. It's more about gun on gun, your ability to keep your reticule on a strafing enemy until you finally drop them. If they land the first bullet you can still win the gunfight if you out-strafe them, drop shot them, or are just better at holding your target. The skill sets are completely different.

My friend that only plays hardcore is the WORST core player ever. He's not used to having to actually hold a reticule on a target. I'm a core player, and I'm awful at hardcore. Too many people laying in the weeds waiting for me and I just can't stop running around, camping is too boring for me. And the fact that 1-2 bullets kills means I don't have the chance to out-manuever them and win the fight.

So, I don't really think either one takes more skill, even though I can't stand how boring and slow-paced hardcore is. Two totally different game modes.

I would say HC does have more skill, just because of the multatude of knowlege needed to play it well. yet its impossible to compare the two, its like comparing two entirely different video games.

Lol skill is the last thing that would come to mind when I think of any CoD product.

half-megatron

the only difference between the two is that HC has more campers becuase the slightest damage kills you.

Core takes way more skill than HC. Reasons why....

1) Many people in HC use explosives as you stated. Some may argue that explosives are nerfed badly, but either way, they take little skill to use. You can counter them with trophy systems, but usually when you use one of those, you're camping. That brings me to my second point...

2) Camping. Way more camping in HC modes than Core. Obviously this is due to low health. Personally, I don't have a problem with camping, as long as it isn't corner camping, but that is more common in HC too.

3) Gunfights. In HC, there are little head on gunfights. This takes skill away from the game in my opinion. I think it takes skill to shoot a target, and stay on target while shooting him/her while they are shooting you. Usually in HC, you just get hit once from the side or back, and have no time to react. Thus, takes away skill.

HC is for people who want CoD to be realistic as possible. If you want to play the most realistic settings, HC is for you. If you want to play the more skillful gametype, then I suggest Core. CoD is designed for Core, not HC.

PS: This is gonna make many people butthurt. Sorry in advance.

iivrruummii

HC SnD takes more skill than Core SnD.  Enough said.

Guy8915

You got any arguements to support this

Agreed. Like he said, enough said. But anyways, I'll support his argument.

I. The rusher to camper ratio is the same. I've played hardcore search and destroy for a LONG time (I'm a CHAMPION at it), so I know what I'm saying. Even though you have less health, your guns do more damage, and so the amount of rushers is equal in both.

2. Rushing takes more skill in hardcore snd. There is no room for error. One error leads to death. You can't just absorb damage and then run behind a wall, recover, and attack with your OP smg like you can in core. Does that take skill? No. Rushers in core are less skilled  because they are able to run around like headless chickens and not be punished.

3. Guns are more balanced in hardcore. Why? Well in core, the gun you are using determines about half of the outcomes in gunfights. Type95 vs ak47. What's going to win? The Type95 the MAJORITY of times. In hardcore it would be the like 10% of the time that your gun alone determines gunfights. It would be up to the user to determine whether or not he wins.

4. Noobtubes. Don't make this your counterargument. Most HC SND people skip the tubes and rockets because they are cheap. Using tubes and rockets in hc snd is an exploit. If people aren't using these, than hc snd takes more skill by far, if people are playing it the right way--how it is intended to be played.

5. Heartbeats and portable radars: Core has WAY more of these. Why? Because the hardcore community is 99% men, no joke (That is probably a VERY accurate estimate). Whenever I go into core SND there are all these quickscoping fa** and squeakers talking to their boyfriends. Portable radars are so cheap and force people to use assassin. They are used literally every single game in core snd. It's just free kills. People don't use them in hardcore snd because first of all, there are no little tweens), and second of all we don't have that noob radar map on our screen 24-7. We don't play pacman, we play cod.

6. Quickscoping.Why do people QS in core? Because it is easier--crosshairs, more health etc, AND once again there are no little kids in core.

7. The skill of aiming is very important in both. In hardcore, you have to be quick, sharp, and accurate to get those first shot(s) in. If you have bad aim in hardcore, you will have trouble. You can't just spray and pray, because by the time you are doing that the other player will get his first bullet into you. THEREFORE, HARDCORE TAKES FASTER REFLEXES. However in core, you have to be able maintain good accuracy, BUT you can miss and even take the first few bullets. So overall, both modes take different aiming skill sets, and thus aiming is as EQUALLY important in both, even though I think hardcore takes more aiming skill.

I could go on and on about how hardcore is better but I have to go to  work (I ACTUALLY HAVE A JOB UNLIKE YOU LITTLE TWEENS)

+'s about hardcore:

-no lil kids

- more men, VETERANS, and people in the MILITARY

-no heartbeats, portables, or mini maps

-no red dot chasing

-no OP guns

-same amont of rushers, if not more

-better community

-more competitive community

- Hardcore isn't halo like core is

-more exciting, no HUD, more realistic, more adrenaline to clutch it and etc

-I'll add more as I go on

-

NOTE: I MAY BE MISSING A FEW BIG ONES. I'LL ADD THOSE LATER, SO SEE YA LATER LIL CORE KIDS.

nicedrewishfela

This old argument again. There is no answer to it. You have good players in both. And.. they take different skill sets.

I am wondering myself how anyone puts up with core. Its so inconsistent and the guns are ridiculously unbalanced. Been playing Face-off tonight, and had a few observations. First off, I understand now why so many people have complained about the PMG9. I never, ever see it used in Hardcore, and had a match versus this guy on Lookout. No matter what weapon I used, that gun would beat it. I would get a mess of hit markers, and that would take me down. Is that skill? Seems to me it was just spraying an OP weapon. I went back and reviewed it, and my aim was true on most of the shots, Just I got hit markers and got killed in return. The other gun I noticed was the Type 95. Played against someone on Erosion, and on several occasions I would get the drop on the guy, pump him full of bullets from either my G36 or ACR only to get taken down by one burst. He even managed to kill me with it in the middle of a reload animation... My point here is that you don't tend to see this kind of thing in Hardcore, all the weapons kill and if you get tactical advantage, most of the time you will get the kill (MW3 hardcore is a bit touchy, it at times resembles core more than traditional HC).

As far as "There is more camping in Hardcore", I think thats debatable. From what I have seen in core, there is plenty of camping. Hardcore is meant to play more like an actual engagement. Good soldiers don't run blindly into the open, they move from place to place tactically, clearing their corners, using their sightlines, and moving from cover to cover. Its a slower gameplay, for sure, but it has to be.  That being said, I've still played plenty of frenetic games as well, its like any other mode, it depends on the players in the room. The advantage of Hardcore is, you can take out the campers pretty easily. They don't magically regenerate health, and you have a good chance at getting a shot on them before they take you out.

The other thing I noticed tonight was the rash of quickscopers. I don't know that I have ever been Quickscoped in a Hardcore match.. I probably have but it wasn't as obvious. In Hardcore if a sniper runs out in the open they are going to get taken out pretty quickly. Seemed I was getting hit a lot tonight by snipers who just aimed in my general direction and pulled the trigger.

The argument over skill needs to just end already. There are good players in Core, there are good players in Hardcore. There are bad players in Core, there are bad players in Hardcore. People camp in Core... People camp in Hardcore. Appreciate the fact that each game mode requires different skill sets, different strategies, and different gameplay, which is exactly why they offer people the choice.

Although I don't agree with the concept of 'skill' in this game, I'd like to point out that in Hardcore, due to the lowered amount of health, no gun is overpowered, unlike in core where you will see everybody running around with the same OP weapons.

vims1990

I support more hardcore gametypes but I don't like the way some of the HC community treat core players. The words "babycore" or "softcore" pops up every now and then which I disagree with.

Personally after playing in a number of HC clan operations including HC TDM & KC, I don't see what makes HC so much superior or more "skillful" than core. Both core & hardcore has it's advantages & disadvantages.

You don't need to have decent aim in hardcore due to low health & the pacing of the match is much slower.

Campers are going to camp regardless if you're playing core or hardcore but the "corner creepers" are certainly rampant in hardcore.

But what I liked about Hardcore is how assault killstreaks don't run rampant & the weapon variety used amongst HC players.

I saw less Akimbo FMG 9's and players using M16, PM-9 & AK-47's which is always nice to see. The pistols are great in hardcore as well.

nicedrewishfela

Agreed, I don't like when people from either game mode put down players of the other. I have great respect for good, honest core players as they possess a skill set that I don't necessarily have. But I also have respect for great hardcore players, its not so easy to dominate a match when a stray bullet can end your streak.

The argument is silly. Play what you want to play, thats why CoD offers us so many choices.

If by skill, you mean patience, absolutely.  All my experiences with HC points to a much slower paced game, and lots of matches ended before the score limit was reached.  The only way I'd ever turn to HC is when I'm really old and my reflexes are so slow that I need a much slower paced game.

hc tdm is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY different than the other hardcore modes. Trust me. Stop making false-ignorant assumptions. Hardcore takes faster reflexes.

Buckeye015 wrote:

hc tdm is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY different than the other hardcore modes. Trust me. Stop making false-ignorant assumptions. Hardcore takes faster reflexes.

Dear guy who cannot read, let me break it down for you.  See that part in my post that says "all my experiences with HC"?  See, that statement right there in my post proves it's not an ignorant assumption.  It's MY experience, not yours, mine.  Get it?

Like I said before, skill and CoD should never be used in the same sentence. 

I play HC cause it is more realistic. So what if peoples aims are worse in HC. It only takes 1 or 2 bullets to kill depending on where you hit them, and it is more realistic. I will say this much. I play pretty much HC only. Once or twice a month I play a little CTF to keep my skills up so when BO2 comes out. When I play Core my K/D tends to be better, and I will be the first to say my accuracy is horrible. Not sure if that tells you anything. I can tell you what it tells me though. It tells me that in HC I am not as accurate or as fast on the draw as a lot of people, but what it tells me about Core, is that the UMP Rapid fire makes up for a lack of quickness. I dont have quickdraw on my UMP class, and when I play capture that is the only thing I use. Not sure if this helps the debate. I do think Core is easier than HC, but you need different skill sets for both.

c4rl

It takes more patience. Those who do well in the game mode are usually patiently waiting. I find it quite boring. Though in the days of stopping power it was nice to be free to use a red perk besides stopping power without handicapping yourself.

opb81

Without reading the other replies the answer is yes and no. If you get in a true harcore game aka not one ruined by tube spam then yes the player with better gun skills will win more often than not. Since the weapon choice is pretty much evened out the player with better vision, accuracy, and target aquisition time will win most gun fights especially at mid to long range.

In reality the person who spams nades and tubes in the right place at the right time will win more often than not.

core is too easy to preserve your k/d ratio simply by running away and waiting untill you regain health if you have been shot at, in hardcore you dont get that chance you are dead.  k/d ratio is the only metric in the game that has any connection (albeit remotely) to individual skill.  1.5 k/d ratio in hctdm is a decent player, 1.5 k/d in core tdm, dime a dozen. lag and compensation notwithstanding. always up babymonitor, health regenerating, kill cams, are all to help the poor performer, and if you are already good at this game it is a nice bonus.  none of that in hardcore.  run down a hallway in core, get shot in the back, run away and live or turn around and if your gun has a higher rate of fire than the guy who shot you first you may actually win, in harcore you are waiting to respawn.  so if a person is completely new to the cod franchise, which do you think is easier to be sucessful at? i will let you decide that for yourself, but to me it is undoubtably obvious.

Ellixander

Each to their own really I dislike hardcore as its a lot slower imo and when i played hctdm or ffa on previous games they rarely went to the limit and dragged on

weapons are more balanced as usually ohk most of the time

explosives more unbalanced as its almost like a mw2 oma fest (in bad lobbies)

and its easier to kill in hc as you can usually spray at a target with minimal aim and get the kill with a lucky hit whereas in core you'd have to keep your sight on the guy for 3-5 hits

as for skill different skill sets in each....

I'm also a core player and I loathe hc but each to their own

(although I did like hchq on blops)

Well I don't play any hardcore but I think they should make rocketlaunchers and NOOBtubes the same amount of damage as is it were in a regular match or else everyone will just start to run around with noobtubes a rocketlauncher and it won't be any fun.

Everytime i see this argument, the people arguing against HC say that its nothing but campers...

I just wana say that if you are usually a CORE player then dont try TDM, it definately is a campest as the game mechanics is always gona make it so....

Instead try HC DOMINATION and you will have a blast...noone camps and there are some truely great players on there...

Ps HC takes more skill, better reflexes and awareness is needed in bucket loads...anyone saying otherwise is just plain foolish...

nightpr0wler76

BIGBANG BAZINGA wrote:

Everytime i see this argument, the people arguing against HC say that its nothing but campers...

I just wana say that if you are usually a CORE player then dont try TDM, it definately is a campest as the game mechanics is always gona make it so....

Instead try HC DOMINATION and you will have a blast...noone camps and there are some truely great players on there...

Ps HC takes more skill, better reflexes and awareness is needed in bucket loads...anyone saying otherwise is just plain foolish...

Yes, that is why they play HC game modes competitively on the MLG circuit...OH wait, no they dont't.Neither game mode takes any more skill than the other, they are just different styles of games, everyone has the EXACT SAME advantages and disadvantages of Core and HC.  HC, everyone dies quick, in core, you can live and turn on someone if they have a crappy aim.  Core has a HUD, and everyone has this advantage, in HC, there is no hud unless a spyplane is called, everyone has the same advantage and disadvantage.Neither game mode particularly takes skill, if you have a small amount of situational awarness and a tad bit of aiming ability you will do well in either game mode.  BTW, the reason they dont have HC gametypes (not just COD for the most part) in competitive games, is because its too easy to kill someone, there is a reason Halo and Core COD games are the leaders on the MLG circuit, its because you have to be able to aim and hit your target for more than one shot...

half-megatron

lmao this is hilarious!!!!

Snipingdbag

BIGBANG BAZINGA wrote:

Lmao..

THIS^^^^^ Perfectly said, well done.What Bigbang siad

Snipingdbag

I can't take a game mode where automatic guns kill 1 one bullet and tubes are free preds seriously. My first games of HC I topped the lobby with the model, as a core player throughout my cod history vs experienced hc players. HC is for people who can't aim, want easy insta-kills while remaining hiden. Though people do move more in HC dom. Tubes ruin the game mod, tactics? lmao, spamming this crap for kills is all I really saw next to tryhard camping. Spamming Ballistic vest is the only thing that makes it worth playing for rushers. Trophy system is ok for capping flags, but useless all-round to active players. The blast shield buff is a good start to a more gun based game mode.

I would give everybody 50 health instead of 30 and 1 hit neck and headshot kills, actually rewarding good aim. This would make snipers useful as well in HC, where auto ars with 700 plus fire rates kill in one hit with good range, seems pretty pointless to snipe then.

HC takes the trophy. Fed up of shooting someone to have them turn around and knife you? play HC. takes more skill, more alertness and all round better players.(DOM) the other HC modes kinda suck.

HC is for people that cant aim..

i went 30-3 in a HC ffa match with out aiming once through the sights..

i used the Mp5 rapidfire and i wasnt even using Steady aim and still won...

HC is for campers and getting your noob toob challenges done for the guns

I went 30-0 in core ffa using a silenced mp5, got a moab and everything. Too easy. Core is for campers and little kids. I go in hc ffa and nobody camps. Hmmm. HC is for men and people that have TRUE SKILL, unlike you. What are you--like 12?

atiredoldguy

Its like comapring apples to oranges.

Neither one takes more skill, its just different knd of skill.

Core is more about killing, while hc is more about staying alive.

In hc its about who can hit a target the quickest, while core is about hitting a target the longest.

The only differnce really isnt a matter of skill, but a matter of knowing how to play the game. they put a lot of on-screen comands in for the noobs that dont know what to do with equipement, or dont know when to reload . etc. This has nothing to do with the majority of players, but it is recommended to play core when you first get the game just so you know what all the buttons are for .....

I never get why people said hardcore took more skill...all you need is lag comp on your side.