37 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 10:29 AM by tibi2626 RSS

Define: Camping.

by my definition, this isnt camping, but im sure to some people it is.

what do you think camping is and when do you accuse people of it?

• Re: Define: Camping.

this is not camping.... this is holding down your territory  ..... he moves around and he does not sit still, to me campers are the ones he described, people that hide in corners or bushie areas waiting for people to pass by and kill them

twinkeeze

This video is almost exactly how I play.

I try to control one area of the map, patrolling if you will though I have been called a camper more then a few times.

To me I agree that a camper is somone who sits in one corner and just hopes someone comes to them and might get 5 kills in a game of TDM.

i thought people would flame because of portable radar and staying in one area...

thats what always happens lol

twinkeeze

I use portable radar alot and stay in a general area with my MK14.

I have found the only people who complain about said tactics are the ones who get chewed up by the player using them. If someone cant take that person out stay away from them, pretty simple.

I do what you do and i also get called a camper. I admit if things are not going my way in a game then yeah i will sit and camp and wait for someone to come past and get only a few kills. I also play games where im always on the run and never stop. Despite always running on large maps i can also only have a few kills. I don't particularly care what people say about my game, i have and always will play the way i want. My mood reflects the way i play and if i want to be a camper in games where im playing to reach the objective or playing a bunch of d*cks then i will.

I call it patrolling, the word says it all.

anytime you kill some one and they didn't see you they will always call you a camper

Snipingdbag

Uber camper = corner camper, someone camping a corner in a dark room generally

Camper = someone never moving from his favorite (headglitch) spot, always waiting with generally a silenced auto ar.

You own the tunnels of dome ... your annoying good

that is Not camping ... why did no one frag/ betty/ semtex?!?! Javalin??

rainmaker6

Yes I would call this camping. You are moving around a very small area with an MP7 not a sniper rifle. If the tactic you use means you would never engage someone else that used that same tactic, then I would consider it camping. You don't have to run around every minute of the game but you need to initiate some of the engagements.

ghamorra

You camped, not a bad thing though. You were active and always engaged in some sort of combat

Izjar11

All i have to say is the following:

On the video = good stuff!

On defining gamestyle = Does it matter?

In any other game mode but FFA that was borderline camping, but for FFA that was exactly how you are supposed to play. You picked about a quarter of the map and held it down, thats how you win FFA. If that was TDM or KC that could be considered camping, but for FFA that definitely wasn't.

there is no objective, so i dont think it matters where you are on the map as long as you are getting traffic and winning the game. if youre sitting in one spot and not winning, then yeah, no point because youll never win

Yea thats true, but given the fact you're getting constant traffic and you're playing FFA you werent camping. Its hard to justify you moving out of that area in the game since you rarely went more that 10 or 15 seconds without seeing an enemy.

In my honest opinion, I only call someone a camper if they are not moving, and not getting traffic. I've seen some guys sit at the same headglitch for an entire game and only manage 10 kills for an entire match. That is camping. On the flip side, I've seen guys sit in the same corner and rack up 40 or 50 kills in a game. Its hard to call that camping, because people kept coming back and its hard to say that it would've been a better decision for them to move. I camp like a mofo when I play hardcore rushers. If I'm in a general area and getting constant action, why move?

You did what someone in a combat situation should do. You held a defensible position and covered the approaches (note the plural!). If the other players couldn't work together just long enough to hit you from two angles, that's their fault. At no time did you camp. You just took a part of the map and kept it.

Camping is stationary and waiting for targets to come across a limited area with very little access. There were three entrances and the other players just didn't take advantage of that.

Good job, you can stay in one area of the map.

what reason is there to rush around the whole thing in FFA, if you get traffic then who cares. i found 24 people in 2.5 minutes, so obviously i did find traffic.

the only objective is to get kills, so why would i change to a method thats first off, less effecitve, and second, lets me get shot in the back by corner campers.

if you hold down an area, then people cant corner camp in it

rainmaker6

primordialrain wrote:

what reason is there to rush around the whole thing in FFA, if you get traffic then who cares. i found 24 people in 2.5 minutes, so obviously i did find traffic.

the only objective is to get kills, so why would i change to a method thats first off, less effecitve, and second, lets me get shot in the back by corner campers.

if you hold down an area, then people cant corner camp in it

So if someone camps in a corner and get 24 kills it's no longer called camping because there was traffic around him. Nice justification. The map is small so you got traffic, and other players typically play aggressive in that game type, but it doesn't change the fact about the tactic. People who camp want to say the only true camping is camping in a dark corner. The area you were defending was actually a small dark area. So you moved. Even corner campers move back and forth.  Camping is when you don't initiate most of the engagements. If you want to argue that camping is a legit tactic in FFA that's a different argument, but the fact is the tactic you used was to camp one small, dark area, and there wasn't an objective to keep you there.

duderew

Why do I get the feeling that you're the guy the OP is destroying by playing this way?

First of all no corner camper is racking up 24 kills in an FFA match.  At least not in any room I'm in.  It just doesn't happen.  Why?  Because corner camping isn't effective.  It's a terrible tactic that anybody who has put any kind of time into this game can defeat.  If you can't, you're a bad player. 

Second, a corner camper who moves from corner to corner is still a pure camper by definition.  What that camper does is also very ineffective, because typically they get a kill in one corner and then move to the next corner and watch the same choke point.  If they get another kill they may move but they're still camping the same point.  It's still ultimately nothing a flashbang can't take care of.

What the OP is doing in this video is completely different from any of that.  He is actively and aggressively pursuing 3 open areas through 3 different openings where there is high amounts of traffic.  And that's not including the bunker itself.  He IS looking for kills.  If you think he needs to cross firing lanes to get to the dome, or to the building, or wherever just to appease the people who are wrong about what the definition of camping is, you need to get over it and realize this guy is a far superior player...

You want to argue semantics?  Fine, this isn't camping.  You want to argue tactics?  It's clear that this is a very effective one...

rainmaker6

Been called a camper often?

Funny how campers have all these convoluted excuses why their play style isn't really camping. It's only camping if you stay in the corner the whole game and the corner has to be dark and you have to be using assassin and you have to have a silencer on your weapon and unless you do all of these things for the entire game it isn't camping. And now the new excuse to the laundry list, if I get a lot of kills it isn't camping.

Fact is you haven't refuted any of my statements. Were most of the engagements initiated by other, yes. Was there anything keeping him in that dark small area, no. Do you make a lot of excuses why your game style isn't camping, yes. Thanks for playing.

duderew

My definition of camping isn't convoluted at all.  This is what I wrote above...

"[Campers] remain stationary with their back to walls or unpopulated areas, or they lay on their belly's facing one choke point.  They're lazy, they're easy to spot, they're easy to kill, and they rarely win games."

Simple as that.  You're the one trying to broaden that definition in this thinly veiled attempt to demonize better players and justify why you lose to them.  If you feel compelled to define the way the OP played in his video as something less than "rushing" or "run-n-gun" or "engaging" or whatever, be my guest.  But to call it camping, is wrong.  And any quality player knows it.

You want me to refute your comments?  Sure.  Were most of the engagements initiated by others?  No they were not.  The OP was moving between multiple choke points looking for targets.  Did he avoid needlessly running through active firing lanes?  Yes.  And if for some reason you think he should have, just to avoid being labeled a "camper" by lesser players, then you are simply a bad player.

Was there something keeping him in that "small" "dark" area?  Well first, that's not a small area.  That bunker is one of 3 major structures on that map.  It has 3 GIANT access points.  It's also not that dark.  Compared to the daylight outside?  Maybe, but it's not all shadows in there.  There are a couple of dark corners in that bunker, but again the OP wasn't camping in any of those...  But back to your question.  Yes there was something keeping him in that large GENERAL 1/4 of the map.  That would be the fact that he was destroying the rest of the scrub players in that room flooding into that area.  There again, if you would have chosen to move out of that area just to appease you're (misguided) conscience, then you're a bad player.

Actually, I rarely get called a camper.  And this video by no means represents how I play every situation.  But it does represent how I would have played this situation.  On the occasion I do get called a camper, it's typically by an inexperienced, low quality, blowhard scrub who I'm destroying and is looking for any excuse for why that is.

This is where I would insert some stupid phrase like "thanks for playing" or "better luck next time" or something like that in an attempt to further punctuate my points...  but I'm not a dork...

Run n gun and camping are different sides of the same coin.

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=camper

Thesandman

That was not camping plain and simple. Its a term used by people who are getting outplayed by you. Check out Anthos77 videos on youtube where he plays domination and controls a certain area of a map. He poses your question and answers it through his videos.

Rushers/run and gunners are the ones who will try to tell you that you did camp. But by their definition then anything that involves not moving is camping (reloading,planting bombs,capturing flags/objectives, using reapers,AC130s,predators,steal bombers etc) or basically anything that causes you to stop momentarily.

Ya know what, if you don't like camping tough fk. Keep crying.

duderew

Anyone who calls this "camping", I would suggest, is a low quality, inexperienced, clueless player looking for an excuse for why they consistently get beat by better players.

You're looking at rock solid FFA play in this video.  You know where the action is on this map and you're hitting all the choke points to rack up kills.  Complete ownership.  Anybody who has a problem with you because you expertly played the most populated quarter of the map, is just terrible and looking for a excuse as to why they lost.

Well deserved MOAB!

Campers don't move... period.  They remain stationary with their back to walls or unpopulated areas, or they lay on their belly's facing one choke point.  They're lazy, they're easy to spot, they're easy to kill, and they rarely win games.  This video is the complete antithesis of that...

camping is anyone who stays in one spot  ( normally in their scope in a certain area for long periods)... or someone who is good at the game, normally a rager will look at the kill cam and see that you are Anywhere on the map and dismiss you as a camper lol

Not camping. Just good FFA play.

However, if this took place in TDM, you would get true campers notice how awesome this guy is doing in the bunker and try to pick off the scraps of this guy's destructive prowess. Then this guy would just get known as a camper by association since he would anchor his team's spawn close to there.

This, I dont consider camping because it s free for all... but i play Team defender most of the time, and it s pretty annoying when I am running towards the objective or try to flank the opposing team and I run by a dude in a remote area of the map, and he s sitting in a corner and kills me. now I come back to cap him and he`s in the opposing corner and so on until I rage or stop coming by. these dudes just ruin the game. this gameplay in TD i would consider camping. Nice game though...