31 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2012 11:46 AM by c4rl RSS

Does K/D mean you're a good player?

xFANCY_KIWIx

I say alone it doesn't. I consider myself a above averge player not MLG but better then the average player. I also think what weapon you use matters. For example it's not hard to get a good K/D while using something like the ACR or MP7. I myself have a 1.79 K/D (which i don't give a rats ass about) and a wining percent of 73% (909 wins and 341 loses). My top 5 killing guns are: 5. G36C, 4. AA-12, 3. SCAR-L, 2. USAS-12, 1. SPAS-12. KSG is also a close 6th. If you wanna look more to make sure i'm not lying or something which a lot of people tend to do on here search my GT. xFANCY KIWIx. So what makes a good player to you?

• Re: Does K/D mean you're a good player?
    rankismet

xFANCY_KIWIx wrote:

I say alone it doesn't. I consider myself a above averge player not MLG but better then the average player. I also think what weapon you use matters. For example it's not hard to get a good K/D while using something like the ACR or MP7. I myself have a 1.79 K/D (which i don't give a rats ass about) and a wining percent of 73% (909 wins and 341 loses). My top 5 killing guns are: 5. G36C, 4. AA-12, 3. SCAR-L, 2. USAS-12, 1. SPAS-12. KSG is also a close 6th. If you wanna look more to make sure i'm not lying or something which a lot of people tend to do on here search my GT. xFANCY KIWIx. So what makes a good player to you?

Once you start focusing on what other people use... I honestly lose interest in your opinion.

You like shotguns. Congrats.

Others like the guns they like.

shocked smiley #9449

K/D could mean you are a good palyer if you only play TDM or Free For All... but if your K/D is high and you have logged 300 hrs in say...DOM... that could mean oyu just sit there with assasin and camp objectives whether your team is losing or winning. I hate these scrubs that think they are good cause their k/d is high but only play DOM. They have a k/d of 2.0 with 50,000 kills and say only 1,000 flag caps. They think they are sooooo good when they just shoot the people actually palying the game moving from spawn to spawn corner to corner

alexion2k

True dat. I have around 60k kills but 15k caps and not sure how many defends, about 6k I think. My K/D is 1.53

I hate looking at the lobby leaderboard and seeing less than a 1,000 caps and 60k kills.

I guess SPM is a more realistic measure.

Somebody34910

Lol are you serious? It's easy as **** to get a high K/D in TeamDeath match and especially Free For All. Hell I've got a 4.36 in HC Free for All and above a 3.00 in Core Free For All. I consider a player decent if they play primarily Search and Destroy and can still maintain a decent K/D. Before I switched jobs and started playing more Kill Heavy modes (because they are easier to control for me even when I have a garbage team) I maintained a 2.37 and primarily only played HC Search and Destroy. K/D is definiltey not everything, but normally when I see a hih K/D maintained in mainly S&D the player tends to look like they know what they are doing. I can't even begin to recount the times that I've seen someone with a high K/D in Free For All or Team Death and them not even come within 15 kills of me.

Snipingdbag

I would consider someone a good player if he has a relatively high k/d, high spm, good amount of miles per game and good objective stats. Having a diverse killing list also helps / is more impressive like you said.

Tpmoney, if someone has a low spm and high k/d I wouldn't conder them to be a good ffa player, tdm more so, but it's better to have a high spm there to, the goal is to get 75 kills first

You can get a very very high k/d by just playing infected and leaving the game as soon as you get infected. If you get a couple of kills per game, which is easy since the enemy only has throwing knives, then your k/d will rocket up. So you can be a terrible player yet still have kd of 10 or more.

well people play the flaws of the game instead of playing the game, so kd should only really matter to you, in judgeing how well your doing IMO. if i see someone with a 3.0 kd, im not impressed normally because i know how they play ( spawn trap spawn kill etc.) so I think at this point in the game, use it to measure the skill in yourself then others

Lol, if a 3KD is your red flag for spawn killers you're way off.

Having a 3KD isn't hard to do in any game mode.

esmorgue

Do you equate spawn trapping to hacking? You seriously act as if someone wronged you horribly.

ok let me rephrase what i stated, because i was incorrect how I stated it, If i see a 3.00 kd, not that Im normally not impressed, how about I really dont give a %$^. look heres how this is going to end. if you spawn trap, then spawn trap, as much as you will keep telling yourself it takes skill, it really doesnt, and that is the fact of the matter, ask me how i know, because ive done it before, and its cheap.. i dont care what your opinion is on it. By you saying "but it does, its tactical" is not going to make me all of a sudden think its tactical, so save it. You all can play against the noobs who will sacrifice their kd and stats to put up with that none sense then they deserve it. If i see that going down i dont join the game, or ill find another game... end of story

thebiindsniper

KDR, is only considered somewhat skillful, if the gametype requires Kills (and assists) to win.  In which case, that'll be Team Deathmatch and Free For All. 

But ultimately, "Objective Pursuits" are what make the player. 

~RUGGED SAVIOR

http://www.youtube.com/ruggedsavior

madgamer420

i say a good player is all about how he plays with his teamESPECIALLY in objective game modes i could honestly care less about my kd just to prove it it is .76 lol but in objetives im top of the lst heres an example who cares about kd in domination its all about the flags i hate playing a game of sabotage and everyoneelse plays like its tdm just cuz it 20 minute games anyways i dont focu on my kd im all about templay nd objectives

twinkeeze

KDR is very easy to keep high playing TDM.

The better stat is SPM if you ask me.

I was in a lobby the other night and a guy was bragging all about his 3.0 KDR in TDM but he literally had like 300 total kills.

I looked up his SPM and he was in the 80ish range so seems to me he goes around 6-2 in every TDM sitting in a corner.

Want to see a good stat ask for someones SPM, see how active they are.

I know my SPM isnt amazing at 339 but the only thing I play is TDM.

W/L isnt everything its cracked up to be either. When I am grouped with my friends we do very well but if I play solo my W/L can take a beating. I have lost many TDM games where I alone get 30 kills but we still lose.

Just my 2 cents.

In TDM the guy going 6-2 every game is a much better player than the guy going 21-19 but guess who has the higher SPM?

Flawed logic, SPM is just what average to low KD players use to justify their KD. It's right up there with "BUT I'M AN OBJECTIVE PLAYER!".

Snipingdbag

Uhm, no.

75/6= 12.5 Kills per tdm game, per player on average. The dude with a 3 k/d averages 52 % under the average 12.5 kills, just 48 % of the normal amount of kills per player. Average k/d 3. Standard average k/d=1.

48 x 3= 1.44. above average..

Other dude averages 21 kills 168 % above the average kills times 1.1 = 1.85 above average

The dude with the much higher spm and average k/d brings more to a team on average. Tmd is about getting 75 kills first generally, not squeezing a high k/d.

Having a high k/d and high spm is the ideal mix.

You're not looking at all sides of the story.

Of course a high spm and KD are the ideal mixture. But I would much rather have the guy going 6-2 on my team simply because Mr. 21-19 died 19 times meaning he contributed 1900 points to the enemy team while the other guy only contributed 200 to the enemy team.

One player dying 19 times is a HUGE strain on the rest of the team. His dying now translates into enemy killstreaks.

Killstreaks can go one of three ways.

1. No one takes them out and they turn into more kills

2. Someone attempts to take them out which directly removes that player from the action.

3. Someone takes them out and risks dying in the process giving the enemy team yet another kill.

I don't want the guy with a 300 - 400 SPM and a .90 - 1.30 KD on my team. That player is going to die A LOT. The less my team dies in TDM the better the team is overall. I'm not the type of player who's going to get his panties in a bunch because the game lasted longer than it should have.

Snipingdbag

Killstreaks are pretty useless in mw3, against someone experienced *which people are once they can get high spms, they generally destroy more crap too to get more xp. The dude with the high spm generally brings you (20 plus kills) closer to the win every game. Blind eye & a stinger class takes out everything fast & people with high spms get a lot more support streaks going too. People with low spms and high kds, generally leave a lot too, They are useless teammates. These stats make the camper look somewhat above average, imo he is not, unless he has a win / loss to show for, but even then that's mainly clan / party based. It's relative to who you are playing, but overall I much rather have the high spm and average k/d player on my team.

Not playing to get the kills first, isn't going to work unless the other team has a better mix of high kd and high spm players. Active players just add the most to a team imo, all-round.

twinkeeze

Well I guess I fall into the average to low KD players as you put it.

I have 90k+ kills and a 2.5 KDR in TDM so I am holding my own

CowboySr

This 100%^

SylarSylar

I have a 3.05 in TDM and I play only TDM.

My SPM is 321.24. I have ~35,600 kills and ~11,600 deaths

My overall KDR is 3.03, because I have a total of 5 hours played in KC but 189 hours in TDM.

My weekly overall KD as of today is 4.45

I like to think I'm a good player.

Edit: In case anybody decides to believe that I'm fibbing, you can look me up in ELITE if you're a PS3 player. Name is the same as on the forums.

THEDentisT

A stat i like to use for TDM is your plus/minus per game. Meaning -  I take (total kills minus total deaths ) divided by games.

For example if someone has 50 000 kills 30 000 deaths over 2000 games (50 000-30000) /2000 =10 positive kills per game average. This really only works for TDM as it has no objectives other then get as many kills positive as u can.

So for example to me someone who averages 15/10 a game is better then someone who goes 8/4. Even tho the 8/4 is alot better KD. because he averages 1 kill more positive a game.

QwertyBoredom

TBH neither K/D and W/L show that your a good player since there is to much outside influence over them besides skill just for an example i can play Dom and go say 10/25 simply because two players on my team have gone 5-30 and the other team has spent the better part of the match spamming pred missiles because of it OR i can go 45/6 because my team has capped and defended two flags (therefore spawn trapping them) and i have spent all match ripping apart anyone unlucky enough to enter my LMG sightline.

as for W/L this stat is broken thats to the ammount of times you get put in a game 10 seconds from the end (anyone else feel it should only count games you have spent more than half of it in?)

Sorry to tell you, this game is not about SKILL or STRATEGY.  It's about connection and which side of the lag compensation you fall on.

twinkeeze

I dont care if you have a great connection if you cant aim it wont matter.

And as far as your statement about this game not being about strategy your wrong, an organized group in TDM using a good strategy has a HUGE edge over a bunch of random players.

My group I play with runs off legit win streaks of 40+ all the time and we NEVER dashboard. If we are going to lose we take our beating and learn from it.

I lose more often then I dont when I play TDM solo because 90% the pubs I am put with play stupid.

Sorry I find that people who say the game is all about connection are the ones who just arent that good and need an excuse.

I am not saying connection doesnt help but there isnt many multiplayer games out there where having a great connection doesnt help.

I had  a 2.44 KD with over 70k kills in TDM in Blops running on a 2meg cable ISP.

I have a 2.49 KD with 90k+ kills in TDM in MW3 and right around XMas time my cable provider opened a 100 meg package which I have been on ever since and my stats are almost identical.

vileself

I feel a good player has to be good all around. Even some of the MLG guys that Ive watched and played with arent really that great. The main things that make a person good at CoD are reaction time and accuracy. If you have a good reaction time and good accuracy then you will trump everyone else, despite your playstyle or preferred gamemodes.

I have an above average reaction time. I was told so by a professional scientist after I aced a test that was designed for the reaction times of humans. My accuracy is slightly above average but things like lag and bad hit detection will throw both of these key figures out of wack.

KDR doesnt really matter because of lag though. Some people dont experience lag so their KDRs will naturally be higher than people like me who get a lot of lag. My MW3 KDR is sitting at a pathetic 1.56 right now which is my lowest KDR of any CoD to date. Although my goal when playing these games is to NOT use the OP'ed weapons, hence why I only have under 500 kills with the ACR, less than 50 kills with the FMG9, less than 60 kills with the Striker, etc. The MP7 was my "go to gun" when it came to overcoming try hards and lag and I have 2502 kills with that gun and its my third highest in kills.

Im confident that I could play on a pro circuit level because Ive been known to outwit people and I feel Im tactically superior. My KDR might be crappy but thats because I have extensive lag and I use underpowered weapons. I also rush and I capture flags as much as possible. Im a team player, I play for the win. I gotta pee now so Im just gonna stop now.

c4rl

A good player can win games even if they go negative.