29 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 12:00 PM by King_Nemba RSS

drop shots or not?

Drop shots or not? counters to this technique? Personally I never go for the head shot, center mass everytime that way i have at least a small chance of beating them to the draw if they decide to eat dirt and shoot my feet? Just curious I'm sure im just rehashing old garbage but i find it interesting

• Re: drop shots or not?

After being killed one too many times by drop-shots, I have recently made the switch. Still haven't perfected it but the method probably saves me at least once or twice a match.

Before my only counter to it was to die. A lot.

I still occasionally forget, try to knife someone and end up crouching instead.

drop shot is great, good prac is just to drop shot every encounter you can, just to get the feel, then  you can use it as needed

electricfuneralfire

The only counter to it is to dropshot. Aiming center mass doenst help, tho it seems it would becuse their head should move right down into the bullets. I think what happens is the hit boxes dont gradually move down the just go from being up to down with no in between. For example in a real life scenario (hate to use the real life thing) if some gets shot in center mass and drops down there gonna be shot in the head because their head moves right into the path of fire. But in the game you have a hit box that doent move down like someone head in a real life scenario, it goes from being up to down with no in between therefore skipping over the path of fire. Im having a hard time explaining this lol.

Noob_Lyncher

I aim center mass, and let my reflexes take hold when someone decides to drop down with their mouth open.

MaxKirgan

Dropshotters only get me the first time. After that I keep them at a distance and automatically lower my fire when I encounter them. Most of the time it ends with me getting a headshot on them and them raging on the other end of the mic. I don't really think dropshotting is a problem in of itself. To do it to get yourself out of a jam, no big deal. Base your entire playstyle around it, kinda lame. Spen $100 on a SCUF controller just to do it even more, even mre lame.

WKMMS

I wouldn't go round doing it all the time... as soon as you do it once on someone they will be expecting it the rest of the game and will usually adjust their aim accordingly.. I find it's best for when I come across an enemy and both of us are caught off guard.  I normally hipfire as I'm dropping because there's a better chance that I'm getting the first shot off and also unless he's got focus on he won't be able to adjust his aim because of the flinch.  You could also try jumping the jump then prone variation (though if you get killed while doing that you look rather foolish)

I started dropshotting when I got BF3, played for a while, and came back to MW3, since the tactical controls are closer to BF3 and I kept getting confused when switching games,  At first it became reflexive, and I would accidentally end up dropshotting even when behind low cover, resulting in me shooting the wall in front of me.  Since then I have learned to better control the technique and only use it occasionally.  I find the only occasions where it really offers an advantage is when I meet someone at a corner and accidentally sprint past, since being a smaller target really helps in that situation as they turn to look for you.  It also helps when using LMGs since they are much more accurate prone.  I rarely regret giving up the knife, since I never really used it and found i never really won the panic knife fights it is actually useful for anyway.

The best counter to a drop shot is a jump shot. When most people drop shot, they don't move their reticule up and end up getting you in the shins. The second best counter to a drop shot is obviously aiming at the lower legs. It sounds dumb but think about it. How many more times have you been drop-shotted than jump-shotted? Probably at least 10 times more. Also take into account all the final stand-ers, and the fact that your reticule jumps upwards when taking damage, there are plenty of reasons to keep your reticule low on your target.

MaxKirgan

That might be fine for Core, but jump shotting will still get you killed in Hardcore. You're better off to just lower your fire and keep them at a distance if you can help it. Definitely don't take them on head on.

I tend to aim a bit lower and never seem to have much troubles killing a drop shotter. The only thing that grinds my gear is when the little ankle bitters shot me in the foot and get a headshot. Only happens in MW2/MW3 so I know there will never be a fix coming.

Drop shot FTW.

Two of the best players I know and play with regularly are unrepentant drop shotters... one guy does it almost every kill (and he's top 300 in the world in kills... )  Whenever they get to medium/close range, they are dirt diving.

I've adapted to the tactic both defensively (aiming lower helps, as stated above, as does the standard Stalker Samba.. ) and offensively (incorporating it into my game).

I should probably use it more than I do.

JBurn244

Has saved me many times when taken by surprised. It only back fires when the person runs all the way past me though, and then I'm prone blocked facing the opposite direction...easy kill for them. Oh well, it happens.

nickpeck36

Whatever way I can win a fight I'll do it and drop shotting wins out more often then not.  As you hit the button you need to aim up abit so you aren't shooting peoples feet though that tends to happen when you can't pull it off correctly.

I love using the FAD but if you start a fight late with it, or drop shot and not aim up you will lose every damn time.  Like it or hate it, it's a viable tactic that works.

no , i dont know why they feel the need to dropshot when they are 2 inches from you dryhumping your leg on the way down it gets me more mad than the qs .

nickpeck36

lol yah I hate it too.  I only do it when you are at, say like 20 ft or so when someone runs around the corner facing you.  I won't do it 1ft from someone unless they are blindly firing and it will keep me from dying (like in those "you both run into a room into each other and not notice it right away situations).

JennacydeHq

you can always just shoot for the feet and yes it takes more bullets but if they decide to drop shot their head will be there...i've gotten a few headshots on people who think they are pro and try to dropshot me

sometimes it is an epic fail but if your quick enough when some one drop shots you at close range hit the lb button as fast as you can and youll start cooking a frag and when you die boom, just like martydom, it usually catches the shams trying to act pro off gaurd.

ogichida

I aim center mass when I game. Drop shotters usually get me once or twice, but after that I know what to expect during CQC. So in the end I get more headshots and they are already in the motion of falling to the ground so win/win.

As previously mentioned, basing your whole playstyle off of it is dumb.

If youre close enough to knife someone just do it the moment they go down it works sometimes even on final stand users.

Easiest way to counter drop shot is the halo jump and spray down. Simple counter, only bad kids complain about these two methods.

King_Nemba

Yeah, I have to agree with the guy above. Personally, the only edge dropshotters have is the level of their internet. I found myself getting killed by dropshotter because my screen doesn't show them dropshotting when they actually do it. I'm basically shooting an after-image. When that doesn't occurr, I die less. What's good is I might get taken out the first time, but then I'm aware of it's presence and do better.