28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 2:22 AM by poison_pawn RSS

Why IWnet will never work for PC

Because there is no control over (no supervision) the playing field.

This is why there is not much of a sense of "team work" anymore; (very few of us older gamers still know what that means)

The newer gamers, see the Internet gaming community, as just another console community.

It's every man for them selves, It's all about MY stats: screw the team.

And there are no consequences for bad behavior; it's like the teacher left the room; and said you all behave...did you?...really? (I know there are exceptions to any rule; but how much authority does a hall monitor really have?)

these so called "bans" that Bancandi hands out are a joke.

they have successfully taken the bite out of the term; a ban is a PERMANENT condition, not a slap on the wrist, three day suspension.

I know this is cliche: but when I was growing up, my mother had little she could do to keep me in line; until she said those 7 magic words, wait-till-your-father-gets-home.

(and please no stories about mom's shoe; mom's shoe couldn't hold a candle to dad's belt;I'm just trying to make a point)

point being that IWnet is an unsupervised playground, that no amount of bancandi's or lag compensation can possibly balance.

And if anyone insist on using it, you will always have these types of problems.

It is what it is; uncivilized anarchy.

And all the civilized people coming here, to try and talk sense to the masses, will never change that. It just to big of a problem.

But there are dedicated servers; and a handful of us still using them.

• Re: Why IWnet will never work
    CrapDuster

IW.net or dedicated servers doesn't change what the PC community is. There are over 100,000 pc gamers signed up with only one of these cheat sites that sell a cheat for mw3 & other popular games.

I played bo, waw and mw1 recently, all 3 games still have many cheaters, You won't find the obvious cheaters like you see in the videos for bancandi http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IW_Enforcers because you can't be that obvious in dedicated servers or the admin will have no choice other than to ban you, whether you are friends or clan mates your banned,

The real problem is there are to many groups out here using cheats to win, they're not using cheats to mock the game and show how poor it's security is as we see in mw2 & mw3.

My Point. Whether i'm getting cheated on iw.net by some crazy aimbot trying to prove the anticheat system sux or I'm in some dedicated server being cheated by a group of guys who are trying to tell me it's their skill, and the server admin is telling me they are friends of this clan (no way in hell they are cheating) when they clearly are, my gaming experience is still the same. (lame)

They need to stop cheating on all pc games is the only solution. Plenty of the gamers here are cheaters. 100,000 gamers on only 1 cheat site, Do you think they all spent $29 on a cheat to jump in a dedicated server & start spinning headshots through every wall so they get banned in 2 seconds? No they didn't, They bought it to use as inconspicuous as possible & win. They're in our midst, plenty of gamers & admins claiming they got skills yatta yatta and they need to go.

I want cheaters gone not another dedicated cheating admin and clan or iw.net, they are both just as bad as another because of the community, 100's of thousands of PC gamers pay to cheat.

Do the math. 100,000 users signed up to 1 cheat site. Now all you need to do is figure out how large the pc gaming community is for all the games the site sells cheats for. If its a total of 500,000 gamers the average from the 1 site alone is 1 of every 5 PC gamers is a cheater.

You can't build a community around this bs, I stopped trying awhile ago.

Cheating has been and always will be a part of PC gaming. It can be controlled and one can adjust to it. One has too. VAC and PB truly is not effective. They help in some cases but in the end they are defeated. The only way is a well admined server.

Asshats has been and will always be a part of life and PC gaming allows them to show off their wares. Again its a well admined server.

If you find a server that you don't like then find one that you do. Support it, be part of it, take good with the bad as with anything in life.

That leaves dealing with those that squeak through the cracks. That one you know or suspect is cheating and feel nothing can be done about it. Turn all that negativity into playing a superior opponent where the odds are stacked and beat them. It can be done once you know he's cheating. Say nothing to anyone just continue to out smart the hack, make it harder and harder for him, frustrate him. And that is when he will become careless and become more blatant and will lead to mistakes and ultimately being caught.

IWnet is epic fail and for what ever reasons they decided to use it. We as a collective must stand up and and not use it regardless if others do. I see the results here in this forum. I have been a fps gamer for 11 years and have not played since November 2011 and will not until a game comes out that uses sense and where the company cares about its product and its customers. I simply will not play something that is trash and where the game uses anything less than a dedicated server.

Stormproot

On why IWNet?:

I think this is down to architecture, responsiibility and cost issues.

With peer-to-peer matching rather than dedicated server hosting there are two benefits (For IW)

1. Less expensive hardware is required to manage matches, as the 'host' is one of the peers

2. When the host goes down, it's not the fault (or legal responsibility) of IW to get it back up and running.

It's a brilliant idea - for LAN based games.

I think they went with this becuase for XBOX, XBOX LIVE does all the hosting, and on PS3 it'll be the PS3 network - so we PC players get stuck with Steam and IWNet.

A dedicated server is provided, but I think they should have released a dedi server with ranking as well. I have asked previously if dedi servers keep score - but I doubt it.

Anyways, what I would like to see is the release of a dedicated server with ranking functionality, and also to allow third party providers (such as poison_pawn) to host and admin game servers and charge a small subscription for it - to help pay for the hardware and hosting and also to provide some reward for keeping the server(s) well maintained, patched, monitored and policed.

I'm sure if this was the case, good dedi-server providers would soon emerge and we'd all have a better experience.

Personally I would not mind paying £10-20 per year for a subscription to a good dedicated server(s) that was more or less free from hackers. Another upside of a paid service is that it would effectively be a legal contract between the provider and the subscriber and the provider would have a legal obligation to keep the server free of hackers and abusive idiots.

As a business idea though - the service would need to be able to host many matches at the same time - and would need lots of variations on locked weapons and perks.

Anyway my 2p

Ya and I can put water in my gas tank and save money! That's the whole point, don't rip someone off just so they can pocket the money. That imo is the mother of all cheats. No wonder they dont care about cheats! This game should not have been sold in PC format period.How's that IWnet? You have just now been accused of hacks! Of course one can not deal with this type of cheater in my aforementioned statements. One simply uninstall's and never allow them to sell one a game ever again. BANNED!   *laffin*

Stormproot wrote:

On why IWNet?:

I think this is down to architecture, responsiibility and cost issues.

With peer-to-peer matching rather than dedicated server hosting there are two benefits (For IW)

1. Less expensive hardware is required to manage matches, as the 'host' is one of the peers

2. When the host goes down, it's not the fault (or legal responsibility) of IW to get it back up and running.

It's a brilliant idea - for LAN based games.

I think they went with this becuase for XBOX, XBOX LIVE does all the hosting, and on PS3 it'll be the PS3 network - so we PC players get stuck with Steam and IWNet.

A dedicated server is provided, but I think they should have released a dedi server with ranking as well. I have asked previously if dedi servers keep score - but I doubt it.

Anyways, what I would like to see is the release of a dedicated server with ranking functionality, and also to allow third party providers (such as poison_pawn) to host and admin game servers and charge a small subscription for it - to help pay for the hardware and hosting and also to provide some reward for keeping the server(s) well maintained, patched, monitored and policed.

I'm sure if this was the case, good dedi-server providers would soon emerge and we'd all have a better experience.

Personally I would not mind paying £10-20 per year for a subscription to a good dedicated server(s) that was more or less free from hackers. Another upside of a paid service is that it would effectively be a legal contract between the provider and the subscriber and the provider would have a legal obligation to keep the server free of hackers and abusive idiots.

As a business idea though - the service would need to be able to host many matches at the same time - and would need lots of variations on locked weapons and perks.

Anyway my 2p

There are several reputable game service providers.

Find a clan near you, that host dedicated server/s; get to know the people.

And if you like them, and trust them, join their clan; and make your yearly contribution.

We rent a server (actually several) for a total of a little less then $60/m. we have over 40 members.

I do not solicit contributions, or charge a due; there is just a donation button on our site.

Some people can afford to be more generous then others, but every one is treated with the same honor decency and respect. and the bills get paid every month.

and no one HAS to play on lagnet.

Stormproot

I hear what your saying - and agree.

My only point about a subscribed service is that because it would be run as a commercial operation this gives confidence in the quality of service provided.

I have played other online games on free servers, and the service is good - however it does take up alot of time for the admins, and ultimately as they effectively 'rule' at will there is the possibility (and I have seen it happen) where the admin(s) abuse their power - if abuse is the right term, seeing as they run the service for free.

With a subscribed service, this kind of thing would not happen simply because there is a commercial pressure to provide a good and fair service to all - nobody is going to make any money by being a crap provider.

Not saying your server is rubbish - I'm sure it's very well run, as are many others.

I guess what I'm saying is: If IW wont host ranked dedicated servers, why not release the software so 3rd party providers can do so?

CrapDuster wrote:

IW.net or dedicated servers doesn't change what the PC community is. There are over 100,000 pc gamers signed up with only one of these cheat sites that sell a cheat for mw3 & other popular games.

I played bo, waw and mw1 recently, all 3 games still have many cheaters, You won't find the obvious cheaters like you see in the videos for bancandi http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IW_Enforcers because you can't be that obvious in dedicated servers or the admin will have no choice other than to ban you, whether you are friends or clan mates your banned,

The real problem is there are to many groups out here using cheats to win, they're not using cheats to mock the game and show how poor it's security is as we see in mw2 & mw3.

My Point. Whether i'm getting cheated on iw.net by some crazy aimbot trying to prove the anticheat system sux or I'm in some dedicated server being cheated by a group of guys who are trying to tell me it's their skill, and the server admin is telling me they are friends of this clan (no way in hell they are cheating) when they clearly are, my gaming experience is still the same. (lame)

They need to stop cheating on all pc games is the only solution. Plenty of the gamers here are cheaters. 100,000 gamers on only 1 cheat site, Do you think they all spent $29 on a cheat to jump in a dedicated server & start spinning headshots through every wall so they get banned in 2 seconds? No they didn't, They bought it to use as inconspicuous as possible & win. They're in our midst, plenty of gamers & admins claiming they got skills yatta yatta and they need to go.

I want cheaters gone not another dedicated cheating admin and clan or iw.net, they are both just as bad as another because of the community, 100's of thousands of PC gamers pay to cheat.

Do the math. 100,000 users signed up to 1 cheat site. Now all you need to do is figure out how large the pc gaming community is for all the games the site sells cheats for. If its a total of 500,000 gamers the average from the 1 site alone is 1 of every 5 PC gamers is a cheater.

You can't build a community around this bs, I stopped trying awhile ago.

If you're as paranoid as you seem to be, why do you even bother playing  at all?

do you really believe that any one can eradicate evil (beside GOD, that is; and he's a little busy right now, checking out how we all act, in the face of it)

Crime will never stop, so long as there are criminal (always has been always will be; till the end) the best that can be done is to catch then and throw them in jail, and then in prison (once it has been PROVEN that they have in fact committed a crime)

If I thought thing where as bleak as you claim; I would never leave the house with out a loaded shotgun.

And i certainly wouldn't play ANY video games on line (what would be the point if 1 out of 5 players is cheating?)

And why hijack a thread about network options, with more of your hackusation?

Why not start you own thread? you could call it something like "I know you're all cheating"

So true, the game is pure crap on lagnet.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!

{bhc}max|co

i ran a mw3 "unranked" server for first 3-4 months of the game came out, tho it was fun using some "unlocked" weapons from scratch, trying to populate one of these servers was like pissing into the wind, it didnt get too far before it stunk.

as much as i hate iwnet

i like to rank up and earn my stuff ...  but finding a decent lobby  to do this is  really hard work on your time /energy/ and patience..

since i have 50mb broadband, im nearly always host , and suffer greatly from lag comp.. combine that with alobby with 1-2 haxors, and its game over for another few days.

ive tried to like this game( ive put more hours into it than mw2 and bo combined..

the game itself ( tho has some minor flaws) is a terrific game to play (decent lobby permitting) but is wasted since we dont have ranked servers.

only 3 of my clan (out of 20) bought mw3 ,only I have persevered with it this long, the rest gave up..

I know for a fact ,if there were ranked servers, more of my clan would be playing this game.

{bhc}max|co wrote:

i ran a mw3 "unranked" server for first 3-4 months of the game came out, tho it was fun using some "unlocked" weapons from scratch, trying to populate one of these servers was like pissing into the wind, it didnt get too far before it stunk.

as much as i hate iwnet

i like to rank up and earn my stuff ...  but finding a decent lobby  to do this is  really hard work on your time /energy/ and patience..

since i have 50mb broadband, im nearly always host , and suffer greatly from lag comp.. combine that with alobby with 1-2 haxors, and its game over for another few days.

ive tried to like this game( ive put more hours into it than mw2 and bo combined..

the game itself ( tho has some minor flaws) is a terrific game to play (decent lobby permitting) but is wasted since we dont have ranked servers.

only 3 of my clan (out of 20) bought mw3 ,only I have persevered with it this long, the rest gave up..

I know for a fact ,if there were ranked servers, more of my clan would be playing this game.

Aint that the truth^

The mentally challenged higher ups at Activison really need to see this thread and this forum.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!!!!

matuzz

But what about:

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

{bhc}max|co

matuzz wrote:

But what about:

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Well spotted m8, just goes to show the levels the devs go to crap on us from high above, and like sheep were supposed to just accept it..

Well as we all know iwnet failed in its basic job on mw2 ,it didnt protect us from haxors...and so it follows that iwnet on mw3 is just as bad(if not worse) ..so thier reasons for denying us ranked dedi servers are false..tplain and simply..they lied.. and yet still refuse to give us what we want

WE WANT RANKED DEDI SERVERS ON MW3

matuzz wrote:

But what about:

What that should say is

Cheat / Hack Free Games : The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you'll constantly be thrown into servers full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or have any admins who can monitor, ban cheaters, and police it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to ignore the quality of the game much more than ever before, as well as utilizing the VAC system to keep games full of hackers and cheaters.

All in all IWNET strips away a load of old features that the PC version of our games have always had before, and it allows us an infrastructure to continue to ignore the game post launch.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!!!

BringBackProperDedis wrote:

What that should say is

Cheat / Hack Free Games : The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you'll constantly be thrown into servers full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or have any admins who can monitor, ban cheaters, and police it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to ignore the quality of the game much more than ever before, as well as utilizing the VAC system to keep games full of hackers and cheaters.

All in all IWNET strips away a load of old features that the PC version of our games have always had before, and it allows us an infrastructure to continue to ignore the game post launch.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!!!

Well said

This needs a bump

Poison_pawn PCO member

{bhc}max|co

RANKED SERVERS FTW P2PFAILS RANKED SERVERS FTW P2PFAILS RANKED SERVERS FTW P2PFAILS

As much as I want hacker-free games for the PC MW community I have a complaint regarding dedicated servers vs IWnet, I have played Blops in PC and Xbox since last year and It has been hard to find dedicated servers without too much restrictions wether maps or gamemodes. I know Nuketown is a favorite but sometimes it is 75% of the servers only Nuketown 24/7 or a rotation of 3, besides you have to be careful what the restrictions are in equipment (no GL or LS, "only crouch", "only sniping") and most of the gamemodes are restricted to just a couple of them (TDM FFA or S&D) and just when you find the only server with the right gamemode and map it is full.

I also tried to play on dedicated servers for a while in MW3 to checkout the new gamemodes: Infected, Juggernaut and Gun Game, but most of the maps with a decent ping were TDM, FFA and S&D and most of them were almost empty. seriously I'm not advocating bad ports for the PC but sometimes you just want to turn on the computer and start playing a game of your favorite gamemode without too much restrictions and rotating more than 3 different maps.

Solution: Rent your own server (or get some clan mates to help pay for it) and set it up they way you want. If what you like is always full, chances are, your server will be full and you'll always have a spot to play.

bump

You know what game I miss that they need to resurrect? Soldier of Fortune (the first one). That game was fun; single and multiplayer.

Yeah I am seriously looking at changing games; COD seems to be dead.

Stormproot

I've mentioned it a few times now, I'm finding BF3 to be a complete joy to play, and the CQ expansion pack (for a more CoD-like experience) is out on June 1st

Just an idea.

-CrazyMoFo-

BF3 would be an idea, but honestly that franchise has been consolized almost as much as CoD.

I played BF2 and BF2142, and can tell you that BF3 is a MASSIVE step backwards in that franchise, and all it's restrictions are because it's a console port. The only good thing BF3 has going for it are ranked dedicated servers.

They make a big fuss about how BF3 is a PC game ported to consoles, but the ONLY thing about BF3 that they did for PC was the graphics. Every other aspect of the game, from the height helicopters can fly, to the squad commands, to the kits/classes themselves has been extremely dumbed down and simplified so the game can run on consoles.

I might be able to get past all of the consolized aspects of BF3 if it weren't for the fact that the game is buggy, and has the worst collision detection with the environment out of any game i've ever played (in any genre)

Alot of people like BF3, but for those like me who want a quality PC FPS game BF3 just doesn't cut it.

Personally I wish BF3 wasn't so consolized, I'm looking for an alternate FPS to the CoD franchise, and unfortunately the BF series seems to be the only one actually supporting PC with dedicated servers and PC features....

Stormproot

BF3 certainly seems to acheive at least one thing - it divides opinion

I agree about the console-like aspects of the restrictions with the aircraft, and also the aircraft controls themselves seem to be a bit of a hash (in the way they respond) - and designed for thumb controllers rather than a proper PC joystick. I would like to see a bit more simulation-like features in the aircraft. The jets are ridiculously easy to fly, and yet the helicopters are a total nightmare to control smoothly and have a big learning curve.

I still love it though

bump