16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 3:39 PM by MildHumble RSS

Do you like Face-Off? Fair, Unfair?

Hey guys, what do you think of the new Game-Mode face off. I am a little skeptical if it is that sucessful because of the Portable Radar. But people could just use Assassin. What do you guys think, here's a really good video on it!

• Re: Do you like Face-Off? Fair, Unfair?

i love it! great for when you just got on cod and have to warm up

I really haven't found any tactics to be unfair. The maps are so small that being detected by a portable radar or UAV won't make or break the game. You can just look around and chancs are that you'll spot each other at the same time--which means the one with the better gun skill will usually win. As for it being unfair or fair, I would have to say that it's fair--even if the other person is hiding in a corner the whole match. Now, that is not fun for you, but you can just leave the lobby after the game and find a new one. Face Off is something that is familiar but new, if you know what I'm saying. +1 if they can incorporate other gamemodes/objectives as well.

It's fair, but they should take out 1v1 and leave 2v2 and 3v3 in there.

Nothing is unfair but there are things that are just ridiculous such as: campers, spawns, dashboarders, bad hosts, etc.

I like it; it's a great gamemode to play with friends. In fact, my friend and I are 15-0.

1v1 is pointless. I dont get how people find it fun. Unless they somehow implemented a version of octogon from Halo for 1v1 then id play it all the time. But, 1v1 on these maps dont work. Like everyone says, its just one guy camping until the other dude walks by, and vice versa.

If everyone would stop quitting before the match ended I would love it even more.  I am either too good at 1v1 or people are just too into their KD and W/L ratios so they have to leave to save themselves.

nicedrewishfela

This is a serious problem. I made a commitment to not quit games (its been tested for sure), but I do have to say it seems a lot of matches end in the opponent quitting if I am in the lead. I don't win all that much, I would say maybe 50/50, but I enjoy a good challenge. There are games, however, where I put it all together and just play well. Its so frustrating when the enemy just vanishes after one or two kills. Had one KC today on Erosion. I ran to the center building from my spawn in time to watch the enemy, a sniper of course, throwing out his Portable Radar (Is there a rule everyone has to use that stupid thing or what?) and then blindly running to the ladder. I killed him with my SMG as he climbed (spraying a bit as I got stuck on the door lol). He had quit before hitting the ground. The First match I had today on Aground, I was on a roll, With 10 seconds left I was up by 5 or so... and suddenly I was back in the menu. Dashboard! No Stats for me! Sigh.

Not sure how this could get fixed... I admit I quit one match today, but the opponent began spawn sniping me on Aground. I would spawn, get shot. Spawn in the same spot, die. Not my idea of fun, and a cheap tactic. I wasn't about to give him the pleasure of a complete match on this. Beyond that, I have won big, had some close matches, and lost big... but its frustrating that more often than not, when I do take a lead, the enemy is quitting. Not sure how to fix this.

Here is how I see it.  There are people that quit because they just can't take a loss and there are people that quit because the opponent is camping or just being a tool(spawn killing, etc.)  Seeing as the former happens wayyyy more frequently than the latter I think that a punishment for quitting should be implemented.  People quit too much in this gametype. I had only one game end today with the timer being what ended it.  My first Draw in 1v1(dude had Silenced UMP with Blind Eye, Assassin, and Dead Silence.....go figure)  Other than that, every game ended in a forfeit. It's utter BS. 

If you punish quitters, people will feel less obligated to quit.  I'm not too sure about if they dashboard(still don't get how that works) but I think punishing quitters would be a good thing. 

nicedrewishfela

Agreed. I am in no way a dominating player in 1v1, but I do OK. I think the pattern I am seeing the most is the guy who goes into the game with an idea of what strategy he is going to use. When you disrupt that strategy and get a few kills on them, they head for the hills.

On LookOut tonight, played some "special" guy who had Something about QuickScopes in his name (right away you know whats going to happen lol). He immediately climbed up on the roof of the top spawn building to start the match, and ran around the roof trying to QS me. When I flanked him and took him out, I heard his Tac Insert. I killed him again as he tried to jump down off the roof.  He tac inserted again immediately, which somehow happens faster than a reload in this game? He jumped down and QS'd me as I was reloading. But after I killed him twice more on his rooftop, he jumped ship. Seems a smart player would have changed his tactics, but seems many would rather just give up and find another room to try their shenanigans.

The other thing I am seeing now is what we were all afraid of... people asking me if I want to boost. How sad are these pathetic losers? I've taken to reporting anyone who asks me, I even sent a picture of a message one of these anal warts sent me asking if I wanted to boost to BanCandy. The way I figure it... if they are asking me to do it, they most likely ARE doing it.. with someone else. I hope the Banhammer is in full effect.

As for the quitting, I just don't know what can be done about it.

codchamp

I have not tried 1 vs 1 yet. 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 are not bad. very connection dependent though. My teammates always pull host and there are at minimum 3,000 miles away. So it puts me at a very unfair disadvantage for that reason. The only thing that bothers me are the spawns. If you are playing a 3 vs 3. Kill someone, someone else will immediatley spawn behind you. Very frustrating.

yovlud

The last couple 1v1 I've played is a guy camping and quickscoping...plus for only 2 people, the connections are awful...on Erosion, I was outside one of the rooms about to walk in, and got quickscoped, and on the killcam, I was about 3 feet inside the room...this entire game is crap.

JBurn244

I'm put off by it ATM, you either run into teams of snipers or people who just try to hide.

Hidden-Legaciez

i love it, great to test your skills against other people. never lost a 1v1 or 2v2

The portable rader IMO is just a tactic to use, It's a little cheap but than again so are most kill streaks, and other players. Use assasin/sitrep if your so pissed off about the portable radars. I've lost games while useing the P.R. and I've Won Allot of games useing it aswell. I kind of find it fun. But maybe thats just me being a douche who likes to have an advantage. The whole point of Face Off is to get the advantage over your opponents though is it not?

I personally just hate the spawn killing / camping. I use the Portable radar like a frisbee. I throw it check my radar for campers. run and grab it. and keep on moving around the map.