27 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 8:03 AM by Maverick91579 RSS

Is camping really all that bad?

I hear alot of people complaining about campers, and personally they don't really bother me. I know everyone has done it a few times while playing. I mean if it gets you points then why not do it? Everyone has a different style of playing. I know that when I'm getting owned I sit back, relax, and try to get caught back up. I just want some opinions on camping; why you don't mind it or why you absolutely hate it.

• Re: Is camping really all that bad?
    CowboySr

No its fun. I bring my Martin and sing Wings songs.

Rhonus

Campers don't bother me, either.  It's an easy kill.  I have an anti-camper class set up and if I see a camper that is a little difficult to remove by conventional methods I will switch to that class.

It makes me mad cause the game is slow paced and are always waiting for you to come to them. Now it doesn't bother me much cause i will go rpg on their team dont care if my team is already winning i will do my best to piss them off with my rpg.

Not much campers in dom anyways.

IS CAMPING REALLY ALL THAT BAD?

Depends where you go and the weather really...

Srysly though, nah of course it's not. We are playing soldiers and it's kill or be killed after all...

jwaller123

It IS a playstyle. While annoying...it can be dealt with.

it's just the little guys that sit in the same corner with a tac insert the whole game and talk **** when they go 12-12.  also camping a corner during kill confirmed, really? the point of the game is to COLLECT THE DOG TAGS. go play tdm if you just wanna kill people and not play the objective. sorry its been a long day of dealing with kids in corners haha.

Yeah I agree, sitting in ONE corner the whole time is the style of camping that I hate.

zero7272

I play HC FFAi dont mind campers either but when they sit close to spawn general spawn area for example village under the caves it gets a bit irritating i mean come on Hc FFA there is cam cycle after they kill you they would wait there and watch that tree stomp for the next guy, i understand that it is a play styl but i think in certain game modes you should move off of that spot and make the game a little fun.

when ever i get chucked into a game 60% of the players will stay in one area and i will most likely come out in the top 3 or become highest score just a few steps away from getting the actual 30 kills.

That's what I'm saying, it is a playstyle. If I'm sitting in one spot for more than 5 seconds, i"m considered a camper and I can hear the player I just killed on the other end of the mic complaining about it. You gotta do what you gotta do.

ok lets be honest here, yes you can counter campers and find other ways to get around them, but in reality you shouldnt have to. you can be defensive and not be a camper. Sitting in one spot the whole game is not strategy, its just plain annoying and you end up getting low kills, even sometimes negative. The people who camp, normally arent very good anyway, so why would they care about their .3 kd? you can patrol certain areas, and be defensive, but to sit in a straight away with a sniper and wait for people to go through that way, is stupid,..

ValleyYeti

here is the way i do it....

I have about 4 or 5 spots per map that are proven to get me some kills.  I start a game by launching a javelin at a place i know people congregate.  I head to spot number 1.  i can usually net about 3-5 kills there within a minute or two.  then, because i know my cover is blown, I head to spot number two and get 3-5 more.  usually by then i can call in some air support.  i head to spot 3 and so on and so on.

Am i  a camper??  yup.  I don't find a corner and camp it out for the whole game, but if i know i can get some good kills if i stay in a spot, why the heck not.  i help my team by thinning the herd, not usually dying very much, and knocking enemy air support from the sky whenever i can.  never had one complaint from a teammate, only from an enemy that was dumb enough not to make sure an area was clear before barrelling on in akimbos raised like the undead.

i enjoy it.  if i get bored, i move on.

No your not a camper, more like an intelligent player, similar to my theory, kill a few, move on.

Stick move, stick move.

Not pretending to be all that by the way, only slightly above average here, age determines that.

ValleyYeti

if you think i am not a camper, you should see the messages i get after i get a guy 4-5 times in a game.  even though i get him in different spots every time, i am a camper because i was not out in the open running straight at him, i guess.  lol.  I really think it is the smart way to play.  stay in cover, get your kills, move to different cover, get more kills, etc, etc.....

i am glad i am not alone.

the only messages i get that are worse than the camper ones are the ones i get after repeated multikills at the hands of my javelin, especially on Dome.  the way i see it...they are the fools that continue to rush to the same spots and don't take cover when they hear my javelin roar.

Yeti

SNAP...

Best way to play for me too...

You never hear a Camper complaining about a Run and Gunner on the other team do you?

Wonder why that is?

MaxKirgan

That's been pretty much my playstyle my whole COD career. I've gotten plenty of hate mail from enemies and teammates alike about me camping. What gets me is I'm playing like that in Hardcore where people can easily spectate me and see I'm defending an area. But, because I'm not running around like a chicken with their head cut off, their screaming at me the whole match for camping. Whatever. I don't care. IMO, their jealous becaus I'm using on top of the scoreboard, 20+ kills, -5 deaths, they're way negative getting more and more pissed everytime they die.

I've even had those same teammates say to me: you don't deserve all those kills, you don't desrve to get all those killstreaks, you don't deserve to be doing that well. Why? It's not my problem you keep running back to the same place to die over and over from the same guy. I'm playing smart, calling out enemy positions, and shooting down enemy air support. Yet, I don't deserve to be doing that well.  And no, this wasn't from little kids.

I tell everybody like that I come across, if it upsets you that much, find a different lobby. I don't care what you think of my playstyle. It works for me, it has gotten me results. I'm near the top if not at the top of the scoreboard every game. I'm not changing my playstyle just because somebody has ADHD, and my playstyle is causing them to tweak out. There has been camping since Quake and Doom. There will always be camping. Get over it.

wolverinecm71

I dont mind camping in TDM but to sit in a corner and NEVER go for the objective or tags is just plain and simple lazy...why play a objective game if you are just going to kill whore?

Annoying at times, but an acceptable part of cod.

For a n00b like me, camping is a matter of survival and it helps my team win. If I run around, all I do is get shot a million times and that adds up to tons of points for the other team. I'd rather park my butt and sit for a minute, then move on to another spot and do it again. No I don't get a ton of kills this way, but I also don't get killed a ton either. Until I learn the game well enough to not get killed too many times, then I'm a camper.

a true camper to me is , ads in a corner with claymore parked infront of them, not just any corner tho a dark corner, corner with a tree or desk or crate that is what i think a camper is . i dont mind them if they get me more than once from the same spot thats my fault for being to dumb .

Just an idea but I think they should make you classify your play style. What I mean is there should be something beside your gamertag in the lobby saying if you like to RnG or Camp this way if you don't like someone's style you can proceed to another lobby with players more to your liking ..... Not sure if this was ever brought up before but I think it's a half decent idea. Also I personally change my style depending on the scenario so I think a hybrid between camping and RnG would be another good option.

i like to engage the enemy a medium to long range, taking cover a long the way.

always play domination and always patrol B flag and one other. normally i have a section of a map locked down and guess what i am a camper or wall hugger!!!

my gamertag is great TotalRushie - i can rush but choose not to.

last message i got was:

totalrushie ???? what a ***** !!!! u hug corners like i hug your mum!!!!

LargeLentils

For me it depends on the flow of the match or the lag/etc. Some matches its like my bullets don't even come out of my gun according to the killcam, in these cases I can either leave a match or change my plan- so I "camp" and I do my best to even it out again.

Some matches I like gun on gun running around and others I like to camp it up.

Yeah camping dosnt bother me ...........  i cant sit there yself an camp out  i think it boaring an pointless dont get me  wrong if im shoot ill sit there get health bk up but then im on it again ..........     an  who  in a clan   fancys helping me on my travels  i dont care what your k.d ratio is  jus looking for elite members free user welcome 2 

I occasionally camp on foundation and sanctuary.  Just cause i dont know the maps that well, and snipers love that map.  But i dont camp anymore, but like the poster before, if i dont know a map, im camping it.  learned my lesson when piazza first came out.  Camping is a play style.  By definition, most SNIPERS are campers.  I dont know about you, but i dont want a sniper on my team running and gunning.  I want him cleaning up anything i cant get.