12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 11:29 AM by s1chrisENGLAND RSS

Who has virgin internet in the UK???

And do you know if Virgin is notorious for being crap for gaming, I know there is lag issues and all that jargon, but im sure its made worse by havin a Virgin media internet connection.

Does anybody suffer from this, cos its like every other game I feel Im up against the the internet and the enemy and It cant all be down to lag comp.

Any light on this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Re: Who has virgin internet in the UK???
    smokesdope

I'm not with Virgin but have noticed over the last couple of weeks lag getting worse well not worse but just trying to find a game is hell ATM .

Takes ages some times to log on and when it's searching it use to search through 70 odd games now it's down to 20? Not happening all the time but is getting more frequent. Anyone else experiencing this?

jessedart

used to have virgin, but I changed to BE cos virgin would not stop throttling my connection at peak times and BE gave me higher upload speed.

virgin are crap.

What I have noticed recently is match making is getting worse, yestderday I in a match wondering why I was getting my ass kicked so much (6-19).  after the match I checked the locations of the enemy team and it was a mixture of swedes, germans and even south africans.

Virgin Media connections are awfully bad for jitter and latency hence the lag problems. It has been stated by numerous sources that it isn't much good for gaming. If you want a better fibre connection move to infinity or if you just want dam good pings and latency hit Be* up.

indy56

I have Virgin Media myself, normally its not to bad when playing gamers in the UK, but as soon as we get players over in europe,France,Germany,Spain,Portugal, and the rest of them i am screwed,although i still have 4 bars those abroad come into most games with 2 or 3  bars and always have the upper hand,

ive virgin media 30mb and hardlys have any problem with lag im not saying its perfect but i dont get as much grief as i have with the likes of aol and sky

I used to have an 8mb ADSL connection with Virgin and i lived within a 100 feet of the Internet exchange and was constantly getting 300-600 pings on pc games and online games,they also have on peak and off peak times which used to be like something along the lines of off peak 11pm to 5pm the next day on peak 5pm to 11pm,when with virgin they monitor your download usage and if you are in the top 10% of downloaders on their service they will cap your internet from sunday till the following week,they capped me many of times and they would leave me with speeds like dial up or less.

i was with them for a long time and a word of advice from me would be get out of your contract fast!

If you don't believe anything i've said,phone them up and talk to a rep,their fair use policy is far from fair which makes unlimited not unlimited.

Now i am with BE internet,O2's sister company(www.bethere.co.uk) i can download hundreds of gigs and they don't bat an eyelid,their fair use policy is "fair" as they have never used it against me and i can download some big amounts of data compared to the average user.

This company do not advertise on the TV,only online,their main selling point is that they will give you truly unlimited internet and stability,my pings never go over 19-20ish unless some one is doing something other than gaming on my line.

You asked for info,sorry thats the best i can offer

Aslo when i went from Virgin to BE my speeds DOUBLED even though Virgin were spinning me a yarn saying my line can't handle anymore speed.....

tracy

I think it all depends on whether you are in cabled area or have to rely on " over phone line "  broadband, I'm on a fibre optic broadband ( 100 mbps ) connection and even though they do throttle it back at peak I don't notice any difference. Have a look at reviews and check what is available in your area, if you can get a fibre optic connection that is your best bet.

i_m_c01

We got Virgin Super Hub 50 Down 4 Up.

Honestly not much difference for playing COD online compared to our old 10 meg connection with Sky.

Waste of money upgrading and like some of the other people on here are saying, Virgin throttle the connection at peak times if you go with the 10 meg connections etc.

And their customer service is up their with Activision, Beachhead and IW. Shite!

Howdy, I have 30 meg virgin and I must say its excellent. With one exception however the last week I have noticed it taking longer to sign into live. To be fair that is minor and is definatley better than the 2 meg that Sky or BT could offer me. Also remember that sometime in the near future our connectio speeds are being doubled for free!

Howdy, I have 30 meg virgin and I must say its excellent. With one exception however the last week I have noticed it taking longer to sign into live. To be fair that is minor and is definatley better than the 2 meg that Sky or BT could offer me. Also remember that sometime in the near future our connectio speeds are being doubled for free!