22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 10:09 AM by dtrain4569 RSS

why so ,many lag switchers on ps3 its pretty bad

i have been playin since cod 4 i have played both x box n ps3 and hands down ps3 users are lag switchin 3 to 4 more times than x box users i mean come on when im shootin at a guy point blank he was moveing fine untill i fired my gun then All of a sudden the game starts crawling and he kills me even though i had the drop on him its sad reallly y cheat on a video game ???????

• Re: why so ,many lag switchers on ps3 its pretty bad

ive honestly not experianced but 1 lag actuall lag switcher in MW3,  therer were tons in BLOPS,  i think what your experiancing is IW built in lag compensation.

Either that or you are one of those people that just want attention so you come make a thread like this.

no i played halo 2 and it was horribble about lag switchers just like this game dont get me wrong love the game still gonna play but i have been around for a while i know lag switchin when i see it and i see it everyday on mw3 and black ops im no fool u cant explain it away with IW lag comp not when its pretty obvious whats happining

I'm playing CoD since the day MW2 released on ps3, and I've never seen a lag switcher. You are probably one of those guys that think that all unfair deaths are because of lag switchers. MW3 it self just lags a lot.

no sir ur wrong  i know when i mess up i get shot but when u walk up on some one start shooting half ur clip into them then game starts laggin real bad he turns around blast u in a half a sec and its that player over n over when anyone on my team gets near him yes thats lag switchin

PiiRaNhAa

how can you say there is no lag switching when you never saw one? i mean, do you know what lag switchings charasteristics are? i guess not...so, this guy opened this thread to discuss with people predestinated for this stuff, not with guys with "theories"...

to me, idk the difference bout lag comp or lag switch, but heard it's not unusual in mw3...however...look forward to some more interesting comments by the 'cracks'...

zvers

My thoughts as well. I did have one game on PS3 a while back that I thought was a lag switch just because of the suspicious timing of the lag and the ferocity of it. Otherwise, I have just been experiencing lag that is normal for MW3 (random). With BLOPS, I had no issues after the first month. I've played CoD since the first installment. By far, MW3 is the laggeist in the series which sucks because it has so much potential.

rlbl

WRONG

(just because you do not know or believe the truth, does not mean you were lied to)

A clear cut example of a host lag switcher from BO

It's not the lag switchers, it's just that you're lagging. Quit *******' and play.

wridtrvlr

Yes, there are Lag Switchers out there.   Did you experience one, maybe.  Are there a TON of them out there...not really.  I've played for over 15 days on this title and have experienced only 2 confirmed lag switchers.  All others, when I go back and confirm via theatre, have been the incredible games #1 issue: LAG. 

You can easily confirm whether someone is lag switching or whether you are just experiencing bad lag.  Look at their k/d.  Are they 55-2 playing HCKC with the top score overall?  Lag switcher.  If they are 55-35 with the top score overall, you were just on the loosing side of the lag.  That is how I know when someone is truly a lag switcher.  There is no way in KC for you to have the top score, with little or no deaths.  You have to run around a grab tags because they guy who went 15-20 will score more than you because he is grabbing up all the tags he can. 

I have this all the time as well, what I want is the local only matchmaking option, lag compensation is terrible when I'm playing with someone at the other side of the world.

theraven.

Here feel feel free to mark this as the correct answer the game runs like crap because of broken matchmaking and broken lag comp now put just them two in a mixing bowl and you have got your self a mosh pit with people jumping all over the place

but they have said they have a couple of patches in the works but might take 3 patches to fix it completely now iam just at a guess here going to say the 3rd one will be after the final DLC pack and then it won't work

Izjar11

This so called term "lag switching" can you proove it? You state 3 out of 4 times it happens more on PS3 than Xbox? Is this a hypothesis or can you back this claim up?

rlbl

I definitely saw a lot more lag switching on BLOPS.... I am thinking it is because MW3 is so lagged as it is that I can no longer tell between a lag switcher, and the game just running bad.

Lag Switching is the act of cutting of your own uploads temporarily, giving you advantage because your movements are not sent to other players of the game.

How to "suspect" a lag switcher.

Host: easy - everyone freezes and somehow you just die because someone can still move (easily seen in a theatre replay of the game). Sometimes if they turn on their switch for too long, the game just drops (as if the host dashboarded)

This happens because the host is supposed to distribute all the game changes to all the players in the lobby. Because he has cut off his uploads, nobody gets updated info (e.g. you freeze). Because the downloads are not cut off to the host, he can freely move around.

Non-Host: Not so easy (esp. if they know not to hold down the switch too long). Ever try shooting at someone, and they seem to stop moving but your bullets are not connecting?  You often see this when someone quits a laggy game. You still see them but they are no longer uploading info to the host, so you shoot them and hit nothing but air and they vanish (left the game)

This can be done with a lag switch (but remain in the game).  As above, the switch stops your packets/updates from being sent to the host, but your downloads are fine. So the person will stop moving (to your view) but they are still moving around the game because they are still downloading information from the host.  When they do this, they will seem to teleport from one place to another (they seem to freeze, and then all of the sudden appear somewhere else).  This was "easier" to spot in previous games, but in MW3 because it so damn laggy this can happen with a lag switch.

A few times people are seeing the effets of lag (bad matchmaking), but sometimes it could be a lag switch (again, hard to prove)... Do a ebay search for lag switches, it is damn ridiculous. http://compnetworking.about.com/od/consumerelectronicsnetworks/f/lag_switches.ht m

Example of a "suspected" lag switcher (very hard to prove with this laggy game):

Notice I was shooting the wall while he was actually at the stairs... that is lag. The question is: what cause the lag? bad matchmaking, switch... or both lol...

SULLY130EighT

I never assumed anyone is using a lag switch. My gut tells me it doesn't exist in this game, for PS3 anyways.

I've encountered terrible lag. But I know it has nothing to do with a lag switch.

rlbl

lag switches are not console dependant

thehunan

That is true. You can buy them online or make your own. You can get anything online to make you a better player AKA cheat. mod controller (any controller with rapid fire to me I call a mod controller) or lag switch. I just cant see why people would use it. You get a better score but your cheating. It does not make you a better player. It shows others you dont have a backbone. I am not the best player out there. But I can give you a run for your money if your playing fair. And I have seen the lag switch on PS3. another way to tell is quickly check the connection when this is going on. You can see everyone drop to a single red dot with one person ( the host and the lag switch ) at 4 green bars.

people will lag switch because they know they will not get band for it. Better yet the devs don't care

monkeylord

The lag on MW3 can be harsh at times

I've never dealt with MW3 lag switchers (and I have over 13 days of play).

However I did deal with 2 in black ops, usually they used lag switching to avoid being shot while they were corner camping.

"Lag" is a word that means delay. But unfortunately in gaming it's a pretty useless word because it means so many things - such as:

"Rubber band lag" - This is the lag where the graphics on screen wobble and your character moves position without you doing anything over a few seconds, then usually normalises again. This can happen repeatedly if a lag switcher is hosting the game, or if the host has insufficient bandwidth to host the game all of a sudden (e.g someone else in the house has just turned the computer on and opened utorrent!)

"Frame rate lag" - This is where the actual game engine skips and stops, sometimes for half a second at a time. Sometimes refered to as like a "slide show" this happens on PS3 when you're host. It's as much to do with bad programming and resource optimisation as anything network related.

"Character teleport lag" - The most common lag switch symptom if the offender isn't host. The enemy will suddenly jump 10 feet to a new position - making him very difficult to kill.

"Lag compensation lag" - Characterised only by other players seemingly having an advantage in a gun fight (player's talk about feeling "half a second behind") but the frame rate and game engine motion is otherwise normal.

It helps when you're saying you have an issue exactly what type of lag you are experiencing, otherwise everyone ends up talking about what lag means to them and we're all talking about different things