17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 12:46 AM by PikaBoo RSS

Is Call of Duty dying?

codcanuck

Call of Duty. A name that is now almost a synonym for first-person shooter. A franchise that began in 2003, and was immediately met with critical acclaim. An award-winning series that began in WWII, and then evolved into a modern/Cold War shooter.

But after eight games over a span of almost a decade, the question remains. Is Call of Duty now doomed for failure, the same canned formula every year? Or is there still potential?

• Re: Is Call of Duty dying?
    sovietcookie

Well they're going to change it up with Black Ops 2. And they've made MW2, Black Ops, MW3. Three of the fastest and best selling ganes ever. I think it'll be a while for CoD to acutally start declining. We see forum noobs all the time, which means that they went out and bought MW3. If Black Ops 2 is a fail, and the CoD after that, that's when we'll worry about CoD dying. Right now at least 300k play CoD MW3 online for each PS3 and Xbox, and like 10k on Wii. That's not counting all the other CoD's. So CoD is still pretty strong if you ask me.

fissuresofrequent

I'll still be playing black ops in 10 years I'll have like 500,000 kills (◕‿◕✿)

A lot of people were pretty mad about MW3, so BO II will have less sales. If it breaks another game selling record, then we live in a humanity with the brain of a nut.

I getz a cookie <3

Call Of Duty has been dead ever since Call Of Duty 4.

Call of Duty will never die, as there will always be a fresh batch of kiddies to sell the game to every year. Kids keep the game alive. Next activision will make ads, saying "Cry until your parents buy you Black Ops 25!"

stupid topic is stupid.

No,call of duty is not dying. even WaW still has players,and new call of duty is coming out.

Im happy with the MW3 and i will play it a lot. COD WILL NEVER DIE!!

COD is declining slowly but not certainty that it will go forever as its the top selling game every year. But to be honest its the same garbage every year wether someone says its changed or not. Yeah they change the guns kill streaks and perks, But the shitty lag, bad spwaning system, no balanced game and there are allways glitches every game they ever made is usally broken in some way and GUESS WHAT!? its usally the same stupid crap they never fix. So you tell me where cod is not dying?

And to add onto that they want you to allways pay for new maps and pay 50 and 60 dollars for a broken game on top of that. Will cod ever get boring yes it does quite quickly why do you think they add new maps and game modes. Then they make a game quickly as possible to keep people interested in more crap they came up with instead of acctually trying to make it better. But i have to admit some of the games W@W and modern warefare were superb games, Zombies espically made my day but thats in the past now its the future and i dont think its getting any brighter folks.

xAgonY99

Call of Duty isn't dying, COD on Wii is dying

PikaBoo

Nope this is the cycle I've always seen since I became a member of both the CoD and forums community (also noted this on Youtube). First its the greatest thing ever then after a week or so its crap for some reason after the first patch people stay interested in it and slowly the interest in the current game declines and  people start playing the predessecor game(s). At this point in time everybody states that the game is boring and that they'd rather watch paint dry (or play the previous title in the CoD series) At this point in time the next year's title is announced and little 12 year olds everywhere get excited for it reigniting their "love" for CoD...