14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 3:54 PM by agentdenny RSS

Idea: How to stop panic knifing: Make it a 2 hit kill

youtubedude
Idea: How to stop panic knifing? Make it a 2 hit kill from the front, 1 hit kill from the back.

People often have the first instinct to mash down on the right stick when in close quarters because they know bullets won't slow down the knifing animation, thereby allowing them to "teleport" without worry and kill the shooter.
  • Re: Idea: How to stop panic knifing: Make it a 2 hit kill
    urbanevirtuoso
    The only way I can see this working out is if people are given energy shields as well.

padiego
    or how about we just all play with pillows!
    OF course, some idiot will complain that my pillow is OP.....
    brandaman
    Panic knifing - A person's response to them getting killed by someone with faster reactions.
    Are you aware that when you're shooting at someone and they continue coming towards you, you still have an equal chance to knife them?
    A Bottle of Tea
    Does panic knifing happen? Yes. Is it a problem? No. Stop Crying.

Brandaman wrote:

Panic knifing - A person's response to them getting killed by someone with faster reactions.

I just cant train my brain to knife on first instinct. I played wayyyy too much HC in COD4 (Where the knifing was pretty messed up) and MW2, where the way to survive was to get quick first shots on people. Its pretty hard to detrain 40 total days played worth of instincts.

That said I think lag compensation might have a bit to do with this, since ive shot people multiple times while lunging and it does nothing.
    But making it a 2 hit kill would just be stupid.
    MTVsRyanDunn
    is their anything people down complain about?...really your complaining someone saw you suddenly and stabbed you? thats called quick reaction. I personally think panic shooting is the problem im so sick of someone spotting me and shooting me i dont even have a chance, their needs to be some kind of delay like you have to aim at a person for 5 seconds before your gun fires...or 30 bullets to kill.
    Lost Spartan119
    No, the only actually way to fix is to make the knife a weapon that you actually have to take a short amount of time to pull out and knife someone instead of just insta-magic-knife

Lost Spartan119 wrote:

No, the only actually way to fix is to make the knife a weapon that you actually have to take a short amount of time to pull out and knife someone instead of just insta-magic-knife

but one hit insta-magic-knifes that could dominate close quarters is totally fair
    AK74U CAN GTFO
    Knife kills: 50
    Knifed by: 175

Is it a problem? Nah.
    Did they have faster reactions? Nah, I play on tactical.
    Is it cheap? Isn't drop shotting cheap? lol
    DizzyMan124
    No. Theres no problem with it. It's just a reaction. You should have killed him first, or knifed him first. It's your fault.

Besides, the game wouldn't be able to tell the difference between panic knifing, or just a normal "LOL, he has no idea i'm here. I'm going to knife the guy in the back".

It would just mess up the game even more. It would be the sniper nerf all over again. Just with the knife.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I think you should learn that. ^^^
    MTVsRyanDunn

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

Knife kills: 50
    Knifed by: 175

Is it a problem? Nah.
    Did they have faster reactions? Nah, I play on tactical.
    Is it cheap? Isn't drop shotting cheap? lol

your 100% right i started playing on tactical on mw2 n i dont think i knifed a person since, crouching/drop shotting is a million times more effective
    scumbaggah

innovationz wrote:

Lost Spartan119 wrote:

but one hit insta-magic-knifes that could dominate close quarters is totally fair

I gather you use tactical control set up, You have compensation with the ability to crouch/prone much faster and default allows you to knife much faster and easier. You can't have the best of both worlds so deal with it.

There should be a system in place as follows.

Leave the knifing mechanic as is.

If you are currently at 100% health and you knife someone, that should be a one hit kill.

However if you are hurt and have say 80% of your health, then your knife attack should only account for 80% damage on another player.  If the player that you knife, and inflict 80% damage on, gets shot by another player shortly thereafter you would get an 80 point assist.

Knifing should still be a 2 hit kill even if your health is below 50%, however if you only get one knife on the guy before he kills you then it should still only inflict as much damage as the health you have.  A way to balance this could be to make your recovery from the knife lunge shorter if you knifed a guy when you were damaged, giving you more of a chance to shoot/2nd knife the enemy player after you already knifed him once.  Some tweaking with the mechanics could be needed...

Another possibility is that if you knife someone when you have less than 100% health, then the player doesn't die but goes into last stand...just a thought.

This would reduce one hit kill knifing to situations where you sneak up on someone, or quickly knife them when you come around a corner or doorway.  In such cases you deserve to be knifed because you either got snuck up on, missed with your gun or knife, or were slower at the knife than the other player.  All of which are fair gameplay mechanics.

This system leaves the current knifing system basically intact and wont be as much of a shock as making the knife a default 2 shot kill.  Which in my opinion would nerf the knife to the point where no one would use it, and at that point you mid as well remove it entirely.  Gameplay in COD is too fast for a default 2 hit knifing system.  I hope they don't resort to that.