28 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 9:39 AM by kourtvizion RSS

A Casual playlist..

Although this may sound hasty, it would make MW3 more enjoyable for casual players, as well as hardcore players.

Basically, it would work in the same way as the Mercenary, Hardcore, Barebones, and Core modes. There would be no stat-tracking, XP gain, leveling, or killstreaks. This would make it useless for more skilled players to play it, as they wouldn't boost their rank or stats by playing it. In addition, people recording for montage-worthy clips wouldn't have a use for playing the mode either because of the fact it doesn't give XP. (so it'd be clear if someone was playing Casual vs Core)

The reason I suggest this is because of the mess Black Ops has become in this reguard. Ever seen/played a game with a clan of six on one side, and a few newbies/split-screeners on the other? Well, you already know what happens. It's infinite Blackbird for the clan, and the difficulty of winning and doing well becomes trivial at most. This is why there should be a playlist catering to these players. This would make player stats more accurate, and the competition levels would be more balanced for both boats.

However, I do know some less-skilled players like things such as ranking up and earning killstreaks. I'm not sure how to address these people, but I do know the majority of the casuals you see playing Black Ops just want to play the game and have fun. So why not let them.

(for all intents and purposes, I am not a scrub, and would not play this mode.. but I do feel it would balance the community and make players happy)

• A Casual playlist..
    rankismet

Nice idea... wouldn't work...

... something like this was tried in a previous title (I think MW2) and it was abused badly by veterean players on the greenies.

• A Casual playlist..

There was something similar in a previous COD as rankismet said but it was abused.

I don't agree with the sentence about getting hammered by a clan, I regard myself as casual and play with randoms and fairly often beat clans. Playing as a clan does not mean they will be good.

• A Casual playlist..

Yeah it would  seem a bit of a waste tbh, I enjoy it when I'm random against a good clan, may not win the game but love hurting those that think they're great when being carried with 5 others, nothing better than hate messages because you own a couple of cocky players.

I found the only way to get better was to get your ass handed to you, if you're not competetive then play private games or find a different game.

• A Casual playlist..
      esmorgue

Agreed. Its a competitive game. YOU ARE SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER. Its only a game but it is based on "kill or be killed". Point Blank. I cant understand why they want a playlist to play goofy, as Fish just said, go into a private lobby with the people that feel like you on your list and go play.

• A Casual playlist..
    ghamorra

This could be easily solved by having better match making. Clans should paired in lobbies with clans, begginers should be placed in beginner lobbies. This should be done automatically without having the player choose. We live in the 21st century, it should be hard to come up with a system that matches players up accurately and fairly

• A Casual playlist..

I've never lost a match with my friends that wasn't laggy. Maybe you guys specifically are better and have a tendency to play against bad clans. From my experiences, when I play solo against a clan, I have to quit within two minutes because the enemy team has kill-whored my unskilled teammates to the point of being loaded with killstreaks.

But I guess like someone above me said, the matchmaking should be more effective.. especially putting clans vs clans.

• A Casual playlist..
    vims1990

Actually, I wouldn't mind a casual playlist to be honest.

A moshpit of different game modes but I wouldn't mind gaining some XP. But there is no stats tracking involved.

Players would say play in private matches but the problem with private matches is that you don't gain XP (for the right reasons)

I normally play with a couple of mates or a party half-way through Black Ops and will do so on MW3 but if I'm playing on my own, I wouldn't a place where I can just mess around (be stupid) in a playlist but gain some XP.

When I lone-wolf, more often I find myself in losing situations where you probably wouldn't want to be in (so you end up leaving) and finding yourself a different lobby.

• A Casual playlist..

I love this idea. Would be great to warm up as when I get my MW3 I will have walked home from college at 10:00am so I'll be freezing cold. I wouldnt be surprised if something like this is actually planned to be in the game. They obviously haven't revealed everything at CoD XP.

• A Casual playlist..
    kourtvizion

Actually this isn't a bad idea.  This will mitigate the damages done by a seasoned player going up against a newer player.  Without stat tracking there is less incentive for players to 'sand bag' and play lower rank players.  It works because people dont all play to be competitive but those who want to would have the option and to add a playlist where stats aren't tracked would have minimal programming impact.  I like this idea.

• A Casual playlist..

Combat Arms also tried this idea, except their casual server had larger hitboxes and a lot less recoil than normal. And yeah, everyone with 5+ k/ds and wutnot kept going in there and abusing the noobies and kicking them from games.

The only thing I can see happening is if IW did what Combat Arms did and have it so that if you were corporal or below, you only had access to the "newbie" server until you ranked up, that way you can play against completely new players. The only downfall to this is that MW3 will have the Rank Reset from the Prestige Shop, and if it resets you back to the very bottom, veteran players could go back and toss the new guys around.

That's just my two cents, if I effed up some info someone correct me.

• A Casual playlist..
      kourtvizion

I think the idea of not keeping track of stats in this playlist takes care of this.  Its like a recreational playlist. No rewards or stats.  Just someone where people can hone their skills until they feel ready to compete.

• Re: A Casual playlist..

And yeah now that I think about it, if they can play against good players in a mode that doesn't record stats, that's working in the newbies favor.

They go up against a pro, they may lose, but they can learn what they did wrong and improve on techniques that seperate them from the more advanced players, without having to worry about their k/d or accuracy or whatever dropping.

I agree with KuroNico.  You only get better by playing better competition.  And by the way,  did you guys forget about Combat Training in Black Ops?  Would be nice to have that in MW3.......

kourtvizion

The point is not to get better.  Its to have fun.  Some people don't care about getting better. 

Combat Training was retarded.  The bots were either dumb as hell or would kill you with a pistol from across the map.   Once you figure out the faults of the AI any difficulty bot was easy.  Thats the problem with AI

A playlist against real players so that you dont have to do a private match with your friends isnt that much to ask. 

kourtvizion wrote:

The point is not to get better.  Its to have fun.  Some people don't care about getting better. 

That makes no sense whatsoever....  It's kill or be killed.  I would assume that getting kills would be more fun than being killed.  Therefore, if you are not getting any better, you would probably be getting killed a whole lot. 

kourtvizion wrote:

Combat Training was retarded. 

I personally thought it was very useful.  It was a big help with learning maps and getting familiar with the different weapons.  A nice little warm up before jumping into the real deal on multiplayer.

FYI, I liked the idea of a Casual Playlist with no stat tracking or XP gain.

kourtvizion

You are mistaken.  The point of a casual playing list is to go in and have fun.  Hence the lack of stat tracking.  It's designed for people who just want to go in and run and gun or are just learning the game.  Of course killing is better than being killed in most situations but this is not one of them.  If they aren't penalized in their stats for this they are less likely to quit or do something that will disrupt game play of players who actually care.  Thats the point of the CASUAL playlist.  Its for people who don't play for rank but for leisure.

'Combat Training was retarded' is a strong comment and I did play combat training to learn a map or to test a weapon.  Other than that its  usefulness quickly diminished. After a couple of rounds in combat training I figured out how to destroy the AI and found it pretty repetitive and predictable.  Playing with real people would eliminate that and it gives you a chance to play with people with your interests.

I hope that clears up the portion of my comments you decided to debate.

If you really want Combat Training, then you could always do the next best thing, assuming MW3 works like Blops did:

Multiplayer > Local > Split Screen > Options > Set the Number of Bots you want > Play

kourtvizion

It's been confirmed that Combat Training will not be making a return in MW3.

If you took the time to read the posts above it was explained that combat training doesn't address the same desires.

Not everyone has a full friends list that they can invite 12 people to play in a private match or do I have 12 people who would want to play in a private match.

For the newer players, it wouldnt hurt for them to get a chance to practice and it does't affect their stats or ruin other people's experiences with the game. 

I think a casual list is pretty smart.

Or, if you would take a little time to think about what I wrote, he wants Combat Training, he can do almost the same thing by making a local game for himself. The entire lobby can be bots that he can set the difficulty of. Again, ASSUMING MW3 acts like Blops.

When I couldn't access Live for a month or two I would play local games against bots. Again, assuming MW3 still allows local games with bots, he can have some form of Combat Training, just not the way we're used to seeing.

Then again he didn't say anything about wanting to play with bots or peeps, so that's left to interpretation of his post.

kourtvizion

Forgive me for interpreting the intention of a thread "a casual playlist" as wanting a playlist where you can play casually with other users.  I must have got confused somewhere along the way....

Perhaps, thankfully I didn't confuse yout typed out sarcasm with real sarcasm =]

kourtvizion

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the idea of a casual playlist that you are against?

Mind you, I am not interested in a casual playlist, I merely like the idea of putting people in the categories that they belong and will be happy.

I know its possible to create a play list that takes out certain perks/weapons. So I dont see why excluding stats would be a big deal. 

I'm not against a casual playlist, I agreed with you in an earlier post.

Now, the guy came in asking about Combat Training, which is typically played with bots. I know Combat Training won't be in MW3, but if the option to make local games with bots is still there, and IF he wishes to play against bots, I pointed him out to an option that might work.

not hatin' but the only way i think i got better at cod is getting my ass handed to me in cod4. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! best way to get better at cod!