30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2011 12:01 PM by SmokeyCheese1 RSS

In-game Scoreboard & Objective stats ISSUE

silyneight

Black Ops introduced displaying objective stats in the leaderboards, in lieu of MW2's very stardard Kills, Deaths, Assists style of scoreboard.  This changed not only the way the game was being reported but it also changed the gameplay through ACCOUNTABILITY.  No longer could high K/D players just blindly kill-whore in Domination without at least some form of discredit due to the fact that it was plainly clear to everyone playing that he had ZERO captures for his team.

Everything we've seen from MW3 thus far tells us that IW has chosen to revert back to the old style of in-game scoreboard (back to only Kills/Deaths/Assists, even when playing Objective modes!).  How could this scoreboard possibly make sense in Objective game modes?  How can this be seen as anything but IW being lazy?  The worst part about this is that it doesn't just effect us in-game.  This Kills/Deaths/Assists-only method of reporting will also carry over to the CoD Elite stat history.  Seriously?  How can CoD Elite NOT report flag captures?!  I CAN TELL YOU FIRST HAND THAT IT DOESN'T (via the Elite beta).  This just seems so glaringly wrong to me.

I've tried asking @fourzerotwo on twitter about this several times and no luck thus far.  Someone please tell me I'm crazy or that I'm behind on news or something and that this is being handled by TOP men.  Thanks for your time.

• In-game Scoreboard & Objective stats ISSUE

maybe they will implement that, and the beta at codxp was unfinished. and yes they seem to ve kind of lazy!

Fingers crossed for them implementing it in the shipped version of the game.

Faysa1

Has it been confirmed that they will go back to the old MW2 scoreboard? objective stats in scoreboard is one of the very good things BO installed and I would love to see something like that instead of k/d focused SB. Just fun messing with someone bragging just to tell them ,"nice that you capped some flags mate"  when they have not contributed to capping flags in Domination. lol

silyneight

Have heard nothing.  IW/402 remain tight-lipped.  They better come thru or there will be pissed off mofo's

mmartin

When they remained tightlipped it's usually because they know we're not going to like the answer.

In my opinion, if IW goes back to Kills and Deaths only in a Domination type scoreboard, it is a major step backwards and an epic failure. Yet another way to encourage kill-farming and K/D whores in objective games and not reward people that actually play the objective.

Yeah its not looking good at all. I mean all the talk about making it better for the objective player and what not... Its the first thing they should have implemented in the scoreboard..CTF/DOM/HQ with no knowledge of caps/defends is so retarded, its the main bloody objective of the game type.. They might as well just get rid off all other game types and just have TDM.  Just plain lazy.. Its not a big massive thing to fix either so hopefully they might release a patch/update after its release or something.

silyneight

I hope you're right regarding an after-release fix.  UI/HUD stuff doesn't seem like an easy patch-in to me.  Not like a balance tweak where all they have to do is change some numbers.  Hopefully we're all worried for nothing.

Yeah hopefully.. It just does not make sense because with the new support pointstreaks and the rewarding players for captures/defends/plants that they have implemented is a step forward for the series so I just dont understand the step backwards with the old type MW2 scoreboard...Just wish we would get a proper answer..

well... Tehnically, you do get rewarded for capturing objectives (flags, domination points, etc.)

cuz of the new point system which i really like in the game cuz if you are a noob that somehow has 0 kills and 2 deaths per match (somehow) he could capture points and get rewarded in the game... so i think there will be more team playing MW3

Anyway im still Pumped for MW3

THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME

I understand where the OP is coming from, but in MW2 it indirectly says who is playing the objectives.  Whoever is captruing/planting/etc. will have more points, and you can tell who is doing what.  For me, personally, I can always tell who is doing what.  And don't knock people that play for kills in objective based games...a lot of times they play HUGE rolls in securing positions.  You need a couple of players per team to play for kills, and focus on defense.  The rest can cap and support each other.  Objective games are TEAM based...and just because you're not securing objectives, doesn't mean you're not helping the team.

silyneight

I don't deny that Slayers hold an important role, even in objective-based game modes.  But, I will argue that in MW2: if someone has a ton of kills, that it wouldn't necessarily be obvious right away if he had say 1 capture and 1 defend to go with his lots of kills.  If you are a proper kill-whore - and are good at it, you WILL be high on the scoreboard, even without a single capture.  Why leave it up to guessing?

What I'm worried about here is that IW will fail to present the data to us due to their lack of effort or rushing the game to completion due to this "November = CoD" Activision-imposed deadline.

And, the fact that the CoD Elite beta scoreboards do not show objective stats for Black Ops recent objective games makes me worry even more.  If they had a plan to present objective stats in MW3, surely they would have already implemented reporting those stats in the CoD Elite beta for Black Ops, a game that already reports those stats in-game.

• Re: In-game Scoreboard & Objective stats ISSUE

I understand where the OP comes from. Although Kill whores does just as much or even more than people who actually randomly jump on the captures. You cant even go outside because they is just bringing the pain to you team.

rankismet

They are also leveraging Elite...

TBH, I really don't understand why they wouldn't provide an Objective SB, especially considering the fact that you get points toward streaks for playing the objective now. It seems like a "one step forward, two steps back" routine to me.

I for one will be playing a LOT more Objective games on the release of MW3, and I'll be abusing the Support Package like a red-headed stepchild. If there are any kill-whores, then they'd better pray I don't find them.

I didnt slosh through all of this, but from the way I understand it, since KS will be pointbased, and playing for the objective will give you points, that may be IW's way of gently nudging people to play each game mode a different way. Although I too will be disapointed if the scoreboard is reverted.

dstr001

Let me ask you this OP, do you KNOW that this will be an issue? They have Elite now, which means much more in depth stats tracking;I doubt they would leave out such features in their leaderboards with it being right in front of them to use.

Plus the fact that they are attempting to get more people to play the objective, with pointstreaks etc, if they have any sense they will realise that leaderboards play a big part in people playing the objective.

silyneight

Well, the CoD Elite beta has ended.  So, I can only comment on what I saw before they closed it.  And, when viewing my recent DOMINATION games from the CoD Elite beta, the only stats they reported were Kills, Deaths and Assists. 

Of course, I agree that it only makes sense for them to revise the in-game scoreboards and the Elite service to report objective stats if they are going to stress/reward objective play.

That is why I and others are so concerned after having seen the in-game scoreboards from the MW3 build they revealed at CoD XP. 

dstr001

Like everything else at XP, I'm guessing the leaderboards were placeholders (Camos, in game icons etc were littered with placeholders) aswell as weapons obviously in MP being removed (M240 on an MP screenshot released AFTER XP, even though it was nowhere to be seen during the event)

Take most of what you seen at XP with a pinch of salt lol

Yeah true .. Hopefully the xp footage was not the finalised product of the game and they made  some small changes after it.. After all they must have used xp to get fan feedback and anyone playing an objective game type at the event would have easily spotted it.

silyneight

OK... So, we can all confirm via IGN's live stream today that... Well, we are screwed.

Kills/Deaths/Assists ONLY will be reported in the in-game scoreboards - across ALL game modes, including objective-based modes.

Bowling did mention on the stream wanting to see an after-action report, which I can only assume will contain at least some objective data (eg. Dominator accolade), but it was not visible on the stream because they were playing Private matches.  Let's all hope that the after-action report is insanely godlike and will help to soften the blow from this MAJOR OVERSIGHT by IW. 

silyneight

Bumping this to keep it in everyone's mind.  The game is done - the build we saw yesterday at IGN was the build that will ship in less than a week.

At this point, the only thing we can hope for is a post-launch patch, which, I am not sure if UI/Scoreboard stuff CAN be patched.  But that is our only hope!  Everyone please help me slam @fourzertwo with this until they HAVE to respond.

iamhollywood5

yeah I'm pretty apallaed at IW's arrogance not admitting their mistake and updating theird scoreboard.  I think we need to get one big central thread going about this to get some attention, because they CLAIM to make post-launch support a huge priority in MW3 so if they live up to their word they will update the scoreboards.  I can't imagine anybody would actually be opposed to objective stats on the scoreboard.  I hate to use the word "petition" but we need to unify as many people as possible and get everyone to tweet the same message @fourzerotwo to get the idea through their thick skulls.  I full support this thread.

ok, lets say 1 kill= 50 points. and one capture =150 points

player one has 520 points, with 10 kills 1 assist and 7 deaths.

player two has 900 points, with 12 kills no assists and 15 deaths.

you can tell easy who capped and who didn't...

avengedyesterday

I seriously hope they don't revert back. The leaderboard and stats in general were so detailed. I loved playing then checking the leaderboard after each game and see myself slowing climb the ladder.

Lol@Killwhoring. Just douchebags playing objective like it's TDM. No, they don't help thee team. On average i get 30+ kills and over 5 caps a game. It's not very hard to jump on a objective after you just killwhored everyone out of the area. Nothing like getting thrown on a team where 0 people cap objectives and really don't care at all about winning. It's all about that kdr and getting those mad killstreaks.

silyneight

They have reverted back, or... blindly transferred MW2's scoreboard over is the more correct way of putting it.

And, @Romanticide...  I fully understand how the points work.  But some don't.  Thats why Black Ops' method of stat reporting was so game-changing.  It actually changed the way people play the game.  It made it completely obvious to everyone who was contributing to the objective and who wasn't.  Going back now... it just seems so completely wrong.

The big question I have is what stats will be viewable with Elite.  I certainly hope they completely revamped Elite from what it was in the Beta.  =/

WolfRidge

I did not participate in the Elite beta, but from what I've seen the emphasis of MW3 is for a more objective,assist reward point system, if the stats are of the old style then agreed that would be a step back, but I cannot believe that wouldn't of occurred to IW. The black ops leaderboard stats are good apart from the fact they emphasise score per min?? WTF

The guys at the top of my friends leaderboard haven't played for months??

ps I'm an objective player don't worry about K/D it's always positive so i'm happy and WE WIN (mostly 2.10, win ratio BLOPS)

TAGZ MW3 Team.... Find us on Elite

SmokeyCheese1

The problem is with how you worded the question. They did not "revert" to the old style of point reporting. They simply ported it over from MW2 since this game is built on that arcitecture vs the Black Flops arcitecture.