31 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2011 11:31 AM by windeblade13 RSS

LMG's...Underpowered or no?

Now I am not saying that LMG's necessarily need to be the most powerful or because there great in real life they deserve better because I have no idea. But I do find it dissapointing that for the most part they seem a bit underpowered in comparison to SMGs, AR, and SR. I mean with SMG's you move fast as hell and they will usually dominate close quarters and even midrange at times. AR's have a good balance of being good all around. SR have long range and Quickscopping. But LMG's just kinda suck...there so slow on the Fire Rate and Mobility that just having a bunch of ammo and being able to possibley get kills at a range just is not enough. Plus even some of them do not have a great ammo capacity.

• LMG's...Underpowered or no?

I agree, they are too slow only for a bigger magazine. why not just have an assault rifle with extended mags?

Yeah, there just so underpowered. I hope they do something about it for MW3 like some small amount of messing with the LMG mechanics. I mean they halso have horribly slow reload times and slow draw on the ADS.

I've been trying to use LMG's lately.. Actually on mw2 I did pretty good. It all depends on how you use it... The LMG is pretty much a a gun that you don't walk around with. its supposed to be a "defensive" gun.. Black Ops' LMG's were awful. One LMG I liked in MW2 was the AUG HBAR, I hope they come back with something like that

• Re: LMG's...Underpowered or no?
      AirborneI

The M60 with grip was a beast in BO.

Well I know they are usable I mean if you are good enough at the game you can use any weapon and get kills. And I dominated TDM with M60 in Black Ops all the time because three people would come at me at once but due to not having to reload I killed them all in one swift hit but I was prepared for that scinerio issue is there is no even edge no balance behidn them in comparison to other weapons but yeah they are a defensive weapon I suppose but that is pretty much like saying it can only be used in Objective based modes or camping...I mean if people can run around with sniper rifles can get kills at any range including close quarters then they just need to increase something with the LMGs like maybe increased Hipfire accuracy due to the slow firrate and high round capacity it would be able to just turn a corner and spray, and of course not the point of making them the only weapon used because you can hipfire across a map and get kills but hold a better pattern at closer ranges.

robmeister89

This is why there is a proficiency Speed. Although, there is no longer a perk that features faster ADS, so you're screwed in that department.

LMG's are already more powerful than AR's anyways and why reload every so often when they have such a huge clip? Or just use Sleight of Hand with the gun if you really need to reload often.

Excluding BO, (idk how they are compared to other things I haven't played with them in a while) , In MW2 they are not underpowered and are basically slightly less accurate assault rifles with3-4x the bullets, and can still easily shoot across the map. They are not under powered.

AirborneI

IMO I think the LMGs have remained about the same throughout all the COD games since 4, and see no reason to change them. Lot of bullets, little less accurate, more damage, good range.

Well in Black Ops they kinda failed, but even in MW2 I never saw anyone use an LMG and do amazing. yes they can hit across the board and have lots of ammo. But with the less accuracy and the slow firrate that most of them have combined with slow ADS if you spot someone by the time you pull up (especially if you didn't have sleight of hand pro) aimed and shot, while trying to keep it on them, they were probably gonna get away then you were gonna get killed by a close quarters weapon.

I've seen plenty of people use LMGs and end up #1 on the scoreboard, and use perks that compliment the gun like SOH obviously, and learn to dropshot, I murder at CQC because I am on the ground unloading bullets into their legs.  I love using LMGs, it's something different.

Not saying it is impossible but the odds are against you and well I mean if you are going up against an player of equal skill that gets close up on you, and is using an SMG or SG and they dropshot too just saying they do not have any advantage and just try to be AR but lack the fast reload, ADS, and movement of AR's because Perks don't matter because anyone can use them and they pretty much cancel out.

You hit harder, and have at least 3x the amount of bullets. LMGs are not made to run around like SMGs, they are meant for protection and cover fire to lay down bullets. LMGs are perfect the way they are. Just because a weapon doesn't work how you want it to so it can be OP doesn't mean it is underpowered.

I understand that they are a good defensive weapon for that purpose but I mean if I was playing TDM and did that everyone would just say I was camping and they may or may not be wrong. I know they are not meant to run around with and they probably should not be used in CQC. And you have in fact helped me out, there not that underpowered it just seems that the amount of hits it takes at mid to long range and the amount of damage you deal pales in comparison to all of its weaknesses.

Everyone keeps saying that it is a stationary weapons and so on but sniper rifles are meant to snipe yet everyone runs around trying to no scope, and quickscope.

astyle82

nothing just like the AUG HBAR IN MW2 with a grip ..this gun was a monster...i am  a bit disappointed that this gun is not back mw3 and i hope there will something similar ...

mickilla

Try an RPD with a grip and stopping power if you really wonder what LMGs are useful for in COD4 or MW2. Mobility and hip spread may not be impressive, but the sheer amount of pain you can hurl down a choke point without having to stop is downright amazing. It may as well be an automatic sniper rifle with a 100 round belt. 

The catch is that LMGs aren't for running and hopping around as the SMGs and ARs are. If you're forced to constantly move then they'll be at a huge disadvantage. This is why LMGs haven't been very useful in the last couple of COD games- their maps and spawn systems really punish you for guarding a choke point from one side. The enemy will just spawn behind you eventually. And even if they don't they'll probably just flank you the old fashioned way or spam you with tubes and rockets.

LMGs really are great for the traditional defensive role, the only problem is that as far as MW2 and BO are concerned the traditional defensive role is so impractical to carry out thanks to the aforementioned reasons. So, what does this mean for MW3? Either A: LMGs will be re-balanced to make them more effective while mobile (essentially just making them into heavier ARs), or B: setting the maps and spawns so that defenders actually have something to guard.

• Re: LMG's...Underpowered or no?
    dstr001

Hell, try the L86 LSW with a grip; my favourite gun in MW2, nevermind favourite LMG!

The only game where LMGs were underpowered were Blops (apart from the M60, my favourite LMG there), Mw2s could easily compete with the rest of the weapons there.

lmg are great for laying down fire at choke points or protecting objectives