21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2011 10:18 AM by aisking1 RSS

"WHAT IF?" Mode

How many people remember "WHAT IF?" Mode from Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2:Enter Electro for PlayStation 1?

Do you guys want this feature to come back to Spidey games?

What sort of ideas do you guys have for possible "WHAT IF?" Mode content?

• Re: "WHAT IF?" Mode

YES!!! WHAT IF mode was the best part of Spider-Man on the PS1.

Never heard of it from those games but did from the DBZ games.

Hmm...don't know about that..have to think..

Never heard of it from those games but did from the DBZ games.

Hmm...don't know about that..have to think..

You had to have a cheat code to be able to do it.

I remember those old games, but I don't remember What If mode that much. Someone refresh me.

christiankid7

If they made it DYNAMICALLY different not just weird stuff happening....

Like instead of fighting someone they ACTUALLY help you

What If....What If

What If Loki54 remembered this

Pow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkpudM4abc

If they made it DYNAMICALLY different not just weird stuff happening....

Like instead of fighting someone they ACTUALLY help you

What If....What If

What If Loki54 remembered this

Pow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkpudM4abc

wow i've been looking for a good video to show folks online "WHAT IF?" mode for years! thnx for posting this!

If they were gonna do something like this, it should be like undead nightmare.

DLC, with a completely different turnout of events.

Although that would probably be tricky to put in a time travel cause and effect game.

Although that would probably be tricky to put in a time travel cause and effect game.

I disagree...it should NOT be DLC..."WHAT IF?" mode was on the disc for the first 2 PS1 Spidey games, and therefore stuff like that IMO should always be on the disc...NOT DLC

I loved "What if?" mode. The changes were so random and genuinely funny.  

I loved "What if?" mode. The changes were so random and genuinely funny.  

-gives you high five-

I disagree...it should NOT be DLC..."WHAT IF?" mode was on the disc for the first 2 PS1 Spidey games, and therefore stuff like that IMO should always be on the disc...NOT DLC

*Watched linked You Tube videos*

Well, if its exactly like that, yeah, have it on the disc, but that what if mode looked more like just turning on the easter-eggs and changing some of the dialogue. I don't see why they needed a cheat to be activated. Most of them could have just been in there to begin with.

As DLC, I mean a porpper full on "WHAT... IF.....". Take Shattered Dimensions:

As the Dust cleared, Mysterio fell, and the 4 Spider-men returned victorious. But as they neared Madam Web, she saw not the 4 heroic saviors of the multi-verse. No. It was now, that Madam Web learned the true Nature of the Tablet of Order and Chaos.

It was living.

Each Spider-man now donned a demonic look in his eye, and Web knew that they were gone.

As a final act of desperation, she called upon the aid of Spider-Ham.

Through 5 new levels, it was up to him to defeat his Spider-man counterparts.

Amazing Spider-man, know infused with the weaponry of Kraven, the shape shifting of Sandman, and the hulking unstoppable strength of the Juggernaut.

Ultimate Spider-man, shooting lightning, teleporting and breaking the 4th wall, and sporting the athletic build and tendrils of Carnage.

Noir Spider-man, now turned hideous monstrous beast with machine gun arms.

And 2099 Spider-man, sprouting a pair of wings, a tail and ... 6 extra ...arms....thats a lot of limbs.... maybe they're retractable and her swaps.

Anyway, the big boss is the Tablet, which Spider-ham must defeat personally. But how can he defeat something that will hide if its broken, or possess him if he holds it. Truly this will be his greatest battle.

So, yeah, i know that all sounds kinda dumb, but i'll be damned if it wouldn't make fun DLC.

Well, if its exactly like that, yeah, have it on the disc, but that what if mode looked more like just turning on the easter-eggs and changing some of the dialogue. I don't see why they needed a cheat to be activated. Most of them could have just been in there to begin with.

As the Dust cleared, Mysterio fell, and the 4 Spider-men returned victorious. But as they neared Madam Web, she saw not the 4 heroic saviors of the multi-verse. No. It was now, that Madam Web learned the true Nature of the Tablet of Order and Chaos.

It was living.

Each Spider-man now donned a demonic look in his eye, and Web knew that they were gone.

Amazing Spider-man, know infused with the weaponry of Kraven, the shape shifting of Sandman, and the hulking unstoppable strength of the Juggernaut.

Ultimate Spider-man, shooting lightning, teleporting and breaking the 4th wall, and sporting the athletic build and tendrils of Carnage.

And 2099 Spider-man, sprouting a pair of wings, a tail and ... 6 extra ...arms....thats a lot of limbs.... maybe they're retractable and her swaps.

Anyway, the big boss is the Tablet, which Spider-ham must defeat personally. But how can he defeat something that will hide if its broken, or possess him if he holds it. Truly this will be his greatest battle.

So, yeah, i know that all sounds kinda dumb, but i'll be damned if it wouldn't make fun DLC.

I kina disagree cause alot of stuff in "WHAT IF?" Mode is more than just easter eggs so to me it shoudl be something on the disc and not DLC

It was living.

I kina disagree cause alot of stuff in "WHAT IF?" Mode is more than just easter eggs so to me it shoudl be something on the disc and not DLC

If its like what I saw in the video, then yeah, I see your point.

I guess it would spice up a second playthrough.

lmao, I kind of remember What If mode now. That's pretty funny. Those old Spidey games were the best. Also, did you guys know if you type in a swear word in the cheat code menu, Spidey punches the word and changes it into something appropriate? Soooo funny. Devs need to do that stuff more often.

On topic, I think What If Mode would be better suited as DLC. Then they have the chance to work on it longer and make it better. I would rather have them focus on other parts of the game than rush the mode in.

Of course! That was one of the main things I hoped for, but didn't receive, in Shattered Dimensions.

christiankid7

lmao, I kind of remember What If mode now. That's pretty funny. Those old Spidey games were the best. Also, did you guys know if you type in a swear word in the cheat code menu, Spidey punches the word and changes it into something appropriate? Soooo funny. Devs need to do that stuff more often.

I think he should have shook his head at the screen first :lol:

I should try that sometime. :lol:

oooohh yeaa the entering curse words as cheats was funny lol

What if one of the villains had to do something different, and you played as them? sounds good

I loved What If? Mode it's so awesome!

i'm still playing What if mode on the pc :3

i hope they will bring it back D:

aisking1

What If Mode Was Really Cool i do hope they include it into new spiderman games :)