9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2012 10:03 AM by Snipingdbag RSS

W/L and KDR - The root of all rage?

Datura

It's quite clear that MW3 is to date the most frustrating online experience for "serious" players.  Host disadvantage, synch issues for strong connections, death streaks, hoards of non PTO types, constant framrate drops, instakills etc is among the many MANY issues outwith your control that have a huge impact on your stats in MW3. Now many would say "oh stats don't matter etc" but unfortunately the reality is they clearly do matter to many on this forum and outside it as well judging from the much higher levels of dashboarding and host migrations experienced by you, me and everyone, every gaming session. KDR/WL clearly matters for clan recruitment (just look at any clan recruitment post) and if someones knows a good player what do they ask? Yes you got it..."whats their KDR and W/L? Unfortunate as it is....IT. CLEARLY. MATTERS.

It's commonly accepted that MW3 is the most flawed COD to date and the flaws of course directly affect stats. They provide a distorted picture.Typical common examples:

Your regularly forced into heavily losing teams late in a game, bye bye W/L. What chance did you have? None! But the game is saying your a loser by recording more and more of these rediculous losses.

If your constantly out of synch/host then you can't kill anyone and are being killed by simpletons who absorb bullets. But the game is saying your a crap player by recording all the rediculous instakill deaths. What chance did you have? None! 

The above scenarios (in conjunction with all the other ongoing issues) wear down and aggrevate players (especially the hardcore vocal playerbase) by painting an undeserved black mark on ones public record. And we all know they can be artificially manipulated - a direct result of doing so is the endemic dashboarding of MW3.

So, if permanent stats of W/L and KDR were removed would people rage as much? I honestly think no. Because it would feel like a game again, not a job. The nature of KDR/WL being permanently stored acts as an aggrevator/stress inducer in players. In fact I reckon it's a major incitor of hatred towards the devs because the high levels of agression the devs recieve from the hardcore fanbase is rooted in the daily bullshit stat recording marring their records day in day out.

Personally I would prefer a permanent lobby which didn't record stats and is open to EVERYONE. Not a "bootcamp" type effort in W@W, I mean a proper open lobby. It would act as a haven for those experiencing bullsh*t issues mentioned above. It would mean you could continue enjoying the game without stress and having to wait for the game to be fixed. It would probably be the most heavily populated lobby of all and would serve as an excellent training ground for new players. You would choose to stay even if your getting your ass handed to you. Even experienced players would have huge fun due to being able to play in a relaxed manner despite connection issues etc. Dead mans hand kill you? Who cares. Quick scoper kill you. Ah who cares. An unkillable bullet absorbing nub with FMG9s kill you? You simply wouldnt care. You would probably *shock horror* actually lol when it happens ten times in a row. Is there a valid reason why this hasn't been implemented?

• Re: W/L and KDR - The root of all rage?
    phxs72

Actually the source of the rage has more to do with the problems of lag comp and/or just big egos that get hurt when you counter the gameplan that has worked so well in every other lobby that they've tried.  The pressure that some people put on themselves to have a high KD or WL is just that.  It's self imposed.  Why anyone would be so absorbed with showing off a stat to a bunch of random people that they don't really know is beyond me. I play the game for fun. Yes I do get frustrated when I'm getting insta killed while it's taking 1/2 mag to kill the other guy just because the playing field is so lopsided.  However, if I'm getting my butt handed to me by a superior player. I'm actually okay with that.  Sometimes it's even fun just to watch a master a work.  Anyone that's seen me try to Quickscope knows that even an average QSer will outplay me.  But it's still fun to do sometimes because it's different. My self worth isn't defined by how well I do in a video game.  The game is for entertainment and if your not playing it for entertainment then you had better be getting paid for it.  Otherwise, what's the point?  I don't think that taking KD and WL out of the game would change much of anything.  Maybe for a few in that there wouldn't be a permanent record out there but they don't keep score in Tee Ball and yet we all know which team won in the end. I think that folks that are drawn into stats will always be drawn into stats.  Hopefully, that's enough fun for them to make up for all the frustration that they went through to achieve them.  In the meantime, I'm still having fun.

Datura

phxs72 wrote:

The pressure that some people put on themselves to have a high KD or WL is just that.  It's self imposed. Why anyone would be so absorbed with showing off a stat to a bunch of random people that they don't really know is beyond me. I play the game for fun.

Your attitude towards this games multiplayer is the correct and ideal one to have and I agree the pressure is self imposed to maintain a good KDR and WL. But players end up down this road for various reasons. For example these stats are critical for a huge number of players wanting to enter clans and so forth. As players become more absorbed into the game they start paying more attention to it. People want to emulate skilled Youtubers with high stats and climb leaderboards, they'll have friends to compete with and so on. They then enter the world of rage and dashboarding, effectively having less fun overall and raging a hell of a lot more than when they didnt care. These stats are, for better or worse, central to this games multiplayer for many.

They should hopefully in the next COD give a little more leeway in this area. I say this not for personal stat preservation, I say it because there are so many endless host migrations and dashboarding experiences in MW3. It was nowhere near as bad as this in BO. A stat free public lobby would definately be a nice place I reckon.  

trialstardragon

You point about clans and how they ask about k/d is one of the reasons I think clans are overrated in this game and Elite made it worse because of clans and leveling them up.

I too agree that they either need a lobby/game mode/playlist that does not track stats for those that just want to play and have fun. It would be a great thing. Yet I do not think that IW wants to tread down the ranked/non ranked path like Halo did for some reason. Plus I do not think the leveling sytem would work well beacuse if stats were not tracked then you probably would not gain exp, which means you would not level. And a lot of the players of this game are obsssed with gaining levels as quickly as possible.

Datura

I just remembered that in Black Ops there are wager matches. Wager matches do NOT record K/D or W/L. I totally forgot that I used to hit wager matches a lot when the game was pretty shaky connection wise in its early days and it was a great way of enjoying it until things got fixed. It was a lot of fun. I can't remember if it recorded gun stats or accuracy. I never prestige (hard enough being a solo player) so I can't remember if it levelled you up in wager matches as well. So if its been kind of done before by Treyarc perhaps they will apply it to a mainstream lobby.

trialstardragon

The main point of wagers matches was not about those stats so they were not recorded it was about cod points. I think they still counted the other stats though; but not sure.

And one thing I have learned is that IW & 3arc in most cases do the opposite of each other for various internal reasons. So if one does something a certain way it is highly likely the other will not do so at all or do something different or opposite.

3arc used perks  like SC and no DS's. IW used DS and not perks to fill that spot. BO had cod points to buy things and you could earn a lot very easy. MW3 has tokens that can not be earned easily.

c4rl

I have a solution for all your problems, play in a team and never rage quit. 99% of the bull you suffer from is from playing team games solo.

Your blanket assertions are kind of tedious.

Datura

c4rl wrote:

I have a solution for all your problems, play in a team and never rage quit. 99% of the bull you suffer from is from playing team games solo.

Your blanket assertions are kind of tedious.

Yes that may help for me personally but it wouldnt fix it for the thousands of other players would it. Your missing the point. The problem everyone faces is the high frequency of people dashboarding/ragequitting experienced per game. It seems a significant reason behind this is stat preservation in the face of bad connection/out of synch games for players. This is because KDR and WL is king when it comes to clan vetting and gauging how "good" a player is by the COD community. Thus preserving ones WL and KDR is essentially becomes an incentive to ragequit/dashboard. Removal of tracking stats or creation of a lobby that doesn't track stats would be an interesting way to alleviate this problem.

Your assertion of "play in a team" fails as a complete solution because everyone knows (and regularly experiences) the predictable outcome of randoms getting stomped by an organised party, they ragequit/dashboard thus creating the problem we are discussing.

If mw3 is being dumbed down for casuals. Just remove all stats. All of em.

Easiest way. nobody has to try hard if there's no "reward" for it.

"Cool you got 100 kills. Nobody will ever know"

Snipingdbag

I don't mind losing & I don't mind dying as long as it's all fair. The problem is that their lag comp, matchmaking & bad hosts system often is not fair at all. Giving players God mode and insta-killing ability while the other is playing Halo. Obviously it's not always that bad, but in a twitch shooter any bit of compensation on someone has the potential to be game ruining.

K/d, spm and w/l keep the game somewhat competitive same with point streaks, we already have enough people playing like idiots and infected is made for people to pat their stats. So yeah, don't touch them.