1 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next 169 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 5:03 AM by Peeved Go to original post RSS
  • 160. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

If you guys don't want to watch the whole thing, watch starting from the 2:58 mark.

Notice how the shots don't register on his screen until the gun starts shooting on the host's screen. This is lag compensation. Shots that otherwise would not have registered count as a hit, but only when the data is sent to the host.

• 161. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

GIVE ME STRENGH !!! i know what lag bloody compensation is because im suffering from it every game all day long......

And yes... i was getting 3 bars in black ops while others were getting 4 bars while i was hosting.... this is the shite i have had to put up with with MW3 but more to the point BLACK OPS... if you didnt .. then dont tell me what you think as you did not suffer the same..

LAG COMPENSATION for me is when i just about see an enemy but literally get killed with 1 bullet...in the kill cam i find the enemy has seen me standing there like a plum.. then he has time to raise his gun.. fire off about 5-6 shots which then kill me..!!!

i get this all the time which is complete BS when i dont warrant having such bad lag... especially when im paying for a top connection which is what im getting via upload/download speeds with a fast ping in around 15ms....

MW3 has got to the stage im not bothering to play it because it just winds me up now... unless patched its the end for me regarding this once great game... i still to this day cant understand why BLACK OPS & MW3 is so bad in the connection are even if it is P2P which used to be great... and that ws when my connection was alot slower without having fiber optic ... (ADSL) 3.5mbps down..... 0.700 kbps up and around 100ms ping...

hopefully a patch will be authorised very soon from the developer...

• 162. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

LEGEND-SHIZ wrote:

LAG COMPENSATION for me is when i just about see an enemy but literally get killed with 1 bullet...in the kill cam i find the enemy has seen me standing there like a plum.. then he has time to raise his gun.. fire off about 5-6 shots which then kill me..!!!

upload/download speeds with a fast ping in around 15ms....

1) What you're describing is lag, not lag compensation. Read the OP.

2) That's your ping to the speed test server; that doesn't give you any indication of what your ping is to the host of the game. If you're getting 3 bars like you stated, that means you're getting 100+ ms of ping to host. Considering that that's a minimum of a tenth of a second of lag and guns in MW3 kill in around 0.15 to 0.25 seconds, it's not surprising that it would seem that you are getting killed by 1 bullet, especially if you were up against the host.

• 163. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    barneykiller

It's simple if you want to be on an even field, downgrade your internet to what cheap people have and your good.

• 164. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    esmorgue

This is the conclusion that me AND my cousin who games on the Xbox have decided is the only alternative. He says he experiences the same tampering that we do.

• 165. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

esmorgue wrote:

This is the conclusion that me AND my cousin who games on the Xbox have decided is the only alternative. He says he experiences the same tampering that we do.

LEGEND-SHIZ wrote:

sorry to add another site but these guys are also experiencing lag compensation and more to the point go more indepth on certain aspects

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=320 5

"For lag compensation understanding - watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRtdHmXEjs"

This video from the forum shows exactly what lag compensation does. Look at where the gun is pointed on the player's screen and where the gun is pointed at times on the enemy's screen. Without lag compensation, the bullets would not register at all if the gun were not pointed at the enemy on the host's screen.

EDIT: Especially note the section at 2:58-ish and see how the shots don't register until the gun begins shooting on the host's screen. This shows that lag compensation doesn't kick in until after the signal reaches the host. The lag compensation that everyone is complaining about is what allows there to be hits detected even when the gun isn't pointed at the enemy on the host's view.

• 166. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    bo2000

Good video. I looked that one up when I couldn't belive how bad I got at Black Ops.

What I don't understand is this. MW2 and World at War are different developement branches steeming from COD4. I haven't played much WaW but it's offspring Black Ops was terrible when it came to hit detection and lag inflicted issues. MW2 was solid as a rock. It had it's own issues but when I got in a <50ms lobby my hitmarkerd were dead on. So how comes that MW3 which is a polished MW2 does suffer from Black Ops issues?

Theater Mode? - Seems to be implemented from BLOPS BUT does not represent the hosts view anymore for it's saved locally. My guess is that one and the same match will look different from each other due to different realities captured. Since there is no first person view for other players this will be hard to prove, but I doubt that theater mode is responsible for this mess.

Stats: Though not as extensive as in Black Ops (ingame stats, not Elite) there are loads of stats and challenges to track and transfered to the stats-server. I don't know when this is happening, but after each round the game results are available at Elite so this seems to happen sort of real-time and could add up to hosts performance problems which surely affects all the other players (good or bad). Don't know if this is enough to explain the games sometimes worse than Black Ops performace but given the lack of developers insights one strong suspect.

• 167. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

I guess this was written by someone without lag issues.  Try coming to my house and getting in a game where the ping is so high it stops showing you searching for < 50 ms.  And drops you in any old game it can put you in.  And tryplaying when every 3 steps you take you back up 5, or looking at kill cams that show the opponent screen way far ahead of your own.  Then you can talk about lag.  We are all so happy your internet is so grand that you don't have lag  but it does not mean it don't exist or is not a major issue for people other than yourself. 

• 168. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

barneykiller wrote:

It's simple if you want to be on an even field, downgrade your internet to what cheap people have and your good.

this is the most idiotic idea. 

1 this game is not that download or upload intensive once the action starts.

2.  downgrading to crap internet will only slow down your start time, as in the other players will start before you and you won't get any countdown timer because you are still loading the match data.

3. what this game is very dependent on for your success is a fast ping time and no amount of upload or download speed will give you that, it's a matter of location.

for anyone who does not know what a ping is:  it is the ammount of time it take to send a packet of data, to the host in this case, round trip. 

• 169. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

Personally I think you are talking above your knowledge level here.  And you often contradict yourself.

1 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next