25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 4:21 AM by s7even_uk RSS

HOST LAG COMPENSATION!!!!!

I have just backed out of the last 17 games in a row, on MW3 mid game, because of the terrible lag.  And 16 out of the 17 times, it went to host migration. 

A.  Why the fudge is that idiotic software even in the game?  it ruins the matches, and victimises the one person in the lobby who happens to be host.

B.  What can i do to stop being host all the time?  in a game of TDM, there are 12 people in the lobby, so i dont mind being host once every 12 games, that is fair to me, and it is fair to the rest of the comunity.  But it is total BS that i should be constantly handicapped.  It is always happening, and it ruins my enjoyment of the game, makes me back out of the lobby, and therefor pauses everyone elses game when it migrates the host, and ruins there game too.

PLEEEEEEASE, any person who is employed by any of the companies envolved with MW3, let me know, what i can do to avoid this type of game ruining shenanigans, and also, make it clear to the developers, that this host lag comp is ruining what could be a quality game.

• Re: HOST LAG COMPENSATION!!!!!
    gambit1969

I know how you feel, it happens to me a lot to, it seems the higher the quality of you're internet the more you get shafted

yea, that is the basis i was working on, so i have even tried doing things like downloading big files on my laptop, while playing, to try to slow down my connection.  But i still constantly get host, and all that seems to happen, is it slows me down even more.

gambit1969

It seems to be the most common complaint, when the game came out first i had a 12mb connection and it was terrible, i upgraded to a 130mb grade A connection and new router and its still terrible most of the time. On average i get about 1 good game in 10.

I've tried playing while downloading and uploading torrent files on my computers and it did'nt seem to be any different

It's the only game i have problems with.

featherman84

Yes it is, and STILL no word about it from the DEVS.Hosting in this game is a bloody pest.

Older routers = Better I've found. Don't get linksys unless wrt54g and drop some DD-WRT Firmware on it. The other day I tried out my wrt54g with DDWRT had a buddy of mine join my party and 4 Moabs in a row out of 4 matches. Was only a party of 3.

Unfortunately it was dropping WiFi signal a lot so had to switch out. My Linksys e2500 sux ass. They don't seem to work well as far as dealing with Nat Firewalls. Went back to my netgear wnr2000v2. Old Router provided by my ISP. Have had a lot less issues. More quality games it seems.

wridtrvlr

Truth be spoken: the host should have the advantage, just a little, to avoid dashboarding. 

In a peer-to-peer setup like we have here, it is essential for the gameplay to have a good host.  In MW2, if you were host, there were times when you were in god mode.  That takes things a little far, but is correct in a sense because you don't want that person to back out and screw the game up for everyone else. 

bicranium

wridtrvlr wrote:

Truth be spoken: the host should have the advantage, just a little, to avoid dashboarding. 

In a peer-to-peer setup like we have here, it is essential for the gameplay to have a good host.  In MW2, if you were host, there were times when you were in god mode.  That takes things a little far, but is correct in a sense because you don't want that person to back out and screw the game up for everyone else. 

I rarely had a problem against the host in MW2 and I rarely got host in MW2.  There was a noticeable advantage but it wasn't close to "god mode" as some people say.

Other than that I completely agree with the premise of your post.  IW/Activision is learning this the hard way, if you **** with the playability of the game for the people your game relies on to run it's going to really, really hurt your game.

In every other game pretty much ever you'd strive for a better and more open connection to ensure the smoothest gameplay possible.  In this game you now have a large number of the people with the best connections nerfing their own connectivity to ensure they aren't given host and the disadvantage currently associated with it.

I remember in MW2 my friend and I kept trying to one up each other as far as connectivity was concerned with new routers, different router firmware, etc., etc. to try and pull host.  He ended up getting it most of the time (we had the same ISP/speed package but he had a better router in the end).  Now I have a much better connection (almost 5 times as fast as the one I had on MW2) and a much better router (more powerful, more customizable, etc.) and pull host 90% of the time and probably at least every other game there's at least one 3 bar player on the other team who I absolutely cannot kill.  Can't even get a hitmarker.  Doesn't even show me firing in the killcams.  It's hilarious at this point.

gambit1969

But are IW and Activision going to learn from mw3??? thats the big question, the mw2 system worked most of the time, it started to go downhill with black ops but it has hit an all time low now in mw3.

The connection speed i have now is 10 times faster than i had and the game plays easily at least 10 times worse..

This happens to me like 99.9% of the time, i have a 10 mb DL 1.5 mb UL connection. Here are some ways i do to prevent host or give away host to someone else..lol.

1) If im in a party i just back out and rejoin the game, works most of the time.

2) If playin solo, i avoid the confront the enemy face to face since they have the upper hand advantage....i'm always working the flanks.

3) i download big files using my computer until host migrates.

give them a try they do work for me most of the time.

thanks,

ghamorra

I highly doubt you were host 16 of the last 17 games played. I can see maybe 10 at most, but the hosting system is designed to change hosts every match. So if you would actually stay in a lobby and not back out then I you would see a massive drop in hosting issues

Out

staying in the lobby does help,  but i do think the hosting design (rotation) needs to be worked on .. once i am picked as a host (I have a 30meg down 5meg up and a ping of 12ms )  it seems i stay the host forever

gambit1969

I feel the same, and its not just frame drop, everything seems slower, walking is like a crawl and the sprint seems more like a jog

yea, i know what you mean.  plus when i get into a lobby, it seems that as soon as the host migrates within a game, it comes my way, and between games, it seems to be my turn in the barrel lol.

plus a good early indecation of your connection is, right from the start of the game if you sprint from the spawn with an SMG, when you bump into your team, if you have a good connection, you get put in front of them, if you have a bad connection or host lag, you get put behind them.  which is stupid, because if im sprinting with an SMG and someone else, is sprinting with an asault riffle or sniper, i should be faster than them, and not get shouldered out of the way and put behind them.

if they think this format of software is fair then they should work on it and use it, but untill it works properly, they should just get rid of it from the game.

s7even_uk

What utter BS! I have just proven your theory wrong, stayed in lobby and was host 4 times on trot! Don't try and be the tech geek if your talking shiiite.

cberar

I heart that they are working to fix it ( actually change it completly ); don't know how long it will take though...

I get booted from the match a lot of times in host migration with the warning box saying something to the effect of I could not migrate to the new host.

Then on the chance I do mirate it always seems to do this right after I use a grenade or something that last a limited time, and it just gets wasted, as the flash, stun, or smoke grenande does not pause for host migrations. 

My connection is 75Mbit down, 17.5Mbit up with 5ms pings to local speedtest servers and i cant remember the last time i won a game, i have totally given up on my stats as i am just getting wiped out every game and guaranteed if i leave the host migration screen comes up.

Worst thing is as it is the school holidays in the UK you are getting 12 year old kids screaming at you like little retards about how bad you are when the truth is the game is shafting you.

gambit1969

I have not even bothered to put it on since thursday because the lag was making it pointless, i stuck on mw2 for a few hours, some great games and no lag to speak of..

Why did'nt activision just leave the matchmaking and online setup the same as mw2

MrBelter, im in exactly the same position as you.  but the icing on the laggy cake, is that i have to deal with Virgin Media's "super"Hub, which quite frankly is a super pile of wank.  Virgin provide good broadband speeds, but it is pointless if the hardware in their shambolic router is peaks and dips the suply of the signal.  its like putting the wheels off an office chair, on a Formular 1 car lol.