1 2 3 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 8:18 AM by SysEng123 RSS

Teammate Abuse

nicedrewishfela

This is probably nothing new to any of us... but been noticing this quite a bit lately. While there is the usual trash-talking/cursing from one team to another... I've noticed more and more, however, that there is a ridiculous amount of abuse being handed out to people on the same team.

Take my last match of the night, for example. I happened to have a great game (by my standards), going 19-8 in HC TDM, including a nice triple pred at the end of the match (not relevant, but I rarely get to brag about those ). Two other teammates also got 19 kills, so you'd think we'd won... but you would be wrong. We lost 6600-6900. Two of the guys who got 19 kills had double digit deaths, and the other three guys had negative scores, including one guy who went 0-6.

In the middle of the match, one of the guys who was doing well decided to call out someone on the team who wasn't. He started ridiculing the player, calling him "trash" and "garbage". As you can imagine, the player he was directing those insults at  didn't take too kindly to it. Needless to say, the rest of the game was basically a shouting match between the three lowest scorers on our team and the two guys on our team having success. They continued to hurl insults at them, while the struggling players argued "it was just a game".  It was truly like being on the playground with a group of five year olds.

I chose not to participate in this for one simple reason. I've been in those players' shoes. I've had games where things just didn't seem to go right. Where nothing I did worked. Where I got hit markers instead of kills. Where I would spawn and die. It happens, it doesn't mean you are trash, it doesn't mean you are garbage, it doesn't mean you "suck" at the game. It simply means you had a bad game.

That being said, I understand the other side as well. It can be frustrating to be doing well and fail because others weren't playing up to standards. I think part of being a good teammate is adjusting your game when things aren't going well for you. If you are a sniper, and you are 0-6, switch away to another weapon which might give you more success. If you are running and gunning and taking death after death, switch to a more long range class and slow down your play.

The biggest thing is, we all know how this game is. I don't think there is a player who's ever picked up a controller who can say there haven't been games in which things just didn't go well for them (if you've never had a bad game, more power to you... the rest of us are human). The guys on your team are trying, and if they are failing, there isn't any need to tear them down further. They are frustrated enough, and berating or belittling them just makes them not want to play hard for you. Be the bigger person, communicate to them, call out enemies, and try to encourage them. If they are just hopeless... just go ahead and leave the lobby once the match is over. They're your teammates... you're on the same side. Whats more important to you... your character or your stats?

And for those hopeless few who intentionally antagonize and detract from your teams' play? Go away... nobody wants you in the game.

• 1. Re: Teammate Abuse
    xblbw

If you play with randoms I think you have to expect that your team will have some properly bad players on it. Especially if you are any good, the game clearly tries to even up the teams.

If you can't get your head around that its time to get a party/clan going. (not having a crack at you, I mean in general).

PS. I got a quad with a pred last night on Arkaaden (at the top of the stairs by the front sliding doors). Brought up my reaper. Good times.

Message was edited by: xblbw

• 2. Re: Teammate Abuse
    nicedrewishfela

Absolutely. My favorites are the people who don't voice their strategy and then blame the rest of the team for everything that happens to them. Like you said, if you don't want to play with random people, get a party together. Otherwise, you have to work with what you are given.

I had a few winners on my teams tonight, I have to tell you. Played on my least favorite map, Liberation. On 5 seperate occasions, I watched as players on my team laid prone... just on the other side of a wall or rock from the enemy. While waiting to respawn I watched a sniper on my team crouched next to a wall with his MP9 out... while literally right on the other side of the wall from him stood an enemy sniper. <Face Palm> I had to bite my tongue on that one!

• 3. Re: Teammate Abuse
    vims1990

To be honest mate, I'm one of those players who can get frustrated by random players who are letting the team down either by dying alot in TDM or not playing the objective.

My solution to this was to play in a party if I couldn't handle the stress of playing with other solo players than to constantly abuse them in which those two other players should have done if they couldn't handle playing with random teammates.

• 4. Re: Teammate Abuse

I know what you mean about that, on one hand i do have bad matches, on the other i do great. the only problem i have with this is when theres a lvl 20 prestige and for 8 or nine games they go negative and dont place. -_-. i stick to leve 5 prestige and i jump into random games and see lvl 15s or lvl10s doing trash and then i can see a non prestige going 33 and 4? if you have enough time to keep leveling and prestiging dont let a level 5 show you up.

btw idk but i some how got a trip pred by guiding it into one of the triangle pieces of the dome.... shouldve heard all the profanity that went on.. ( ^o^)

• 5. Re: Teammate Abuse
    nicedrewishfela

I think Prestige can be misleading. Some people underestimate players who don't prestige. I find that people who sit at level 80 will just stick to one or two weapons over and over again. People who prestige, like myself, tend to try leveling up a variety of weapons. I know that there are certain weapons I am just not as strong with(or some weapons that just aren't that strong ), and I struggle when using them. Maybe I am crazy, but I have more respect for players who are willing to struggle with a variety of weapons in order to achieve something than I do for players who never go out of their comfort zone and just stick to one weapon or setup.

Having said that, when I am working on leveling up weapons I try to do it so that I minimize any negative effects on my team. If I need to play more of a support role or sit back and be a bit more campy than I normally am, then that is what I will do. Needless to say it comes with mixed results.

• 6. Re: Teammate Abuse
    that6uy420

I play with a group of guys and I must say I have the same issue with one of them.  he usually ends up on the other team than me (member of one of my friends clan).. he's a DIE HARD corner camper equipped with a heartbeat sensor and everything... and after every match he has the nerve to tell others to step their games up and will belittle and berate any one on his team who gets less kills than he does.  It usually gets comical when they ignore him and then all because of 1 split screener he will throw a fit and back out just because he couldn't yell and scream and chase them out..... this is a grown adult too...    ( I get him on my team too...) and it sucks because I don't care to have to mute my team but when he gets going I find that I have to mute my entire team jsut so I can hear what is going on around me.

• 7. Re: Teammate Abuse

I normally stay quiet in game play, but if my team is so absolutly terrible, ill call them out, i dont care, ill even ask them to leave the game.. call me a jerk, but it is what it is.. I dont really care about winning or losing, but when it start affecting my game play, when you have a split screener getting a total of 45 deaths, basically 45 kills to the other team, its like being down 2 team members, in fact they might as well be on the other team, since they are helping them out more then their team.

so yeah ill call them out

• 8. Re: Teammate Abuse

nicedrewishfela wrote:

In the middle of the match, one of the guys who was doing well decided to call out someone on the team who wasn't. He started ridiculing the player, calling him "trash" and "garbage". As you can imagine, the player he was directing those insults at  didn't take too kindly to it. Needless to say, the rest of the game was basically a shouting match between the three lowest scorers on our team and the two guys on our team having success. They continued to hurl insults at them, while the struggling players argued "it was just a game".  It was truly like being on the playground with a group of five year olds.

Sounds like a good laugh, to me. Haha

This is why i dont care about winning the match as much as i care about myself just playing good that game, win or lose. Well, that and the fact i play solo 99% of the time and get players who have down syndrome which makes winning matches a rarity . If i play a good game, but my team didnt win the game, i still won in my eyes. Im not a selfish player either. I help my team a good amount. Sometimes when im holdin down a spot on the map, defending our flag or whatever, and i notice 1-2 of my teammates run past me towards a corner where i think the enemy might be heading to also, ill chuck my portable radar by them so they can see around the corner before they turn it. I also get a sh*tload of rescuers, haha. Im actually proud when i get those. Lets me know i just saved that dudes ass.

• 9. Re: Teammate Abuse
    that6uy420

while I agree with you on that.. he takes it to a whole nother level... they don't have to get killed horribly.. they just have to do worse than his corner camping arse...  that could mean less kills not neccessarily more deaths.

1 2 3 Previous Next