42 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2012 7:02 PM by gninja RSS

Anyone worried that BO.2 will be a Lag Fest !

smokesdope

So with the new livestreaming (CoDCast) and a new skill based playlist does anyone think this will make the game totally unplayable?

They are going to be Internet requirements that you will need to be able to use the live streaming feature which isn't that worrying but it's the fragmentation of the playlists that makes me think lobbies are going to be unplayable . The more requirements you have to pass to get in a lobby with equal players the further you will be from the host and other players in the lobby. Your not going to be playing the closest players in your area but those matched with skill and you could be playing with people half way round the world making the lobbies extremely laggy !

Anyone else have thoughts on the new playlists and CoDCasting in BO.2

• Re: Anyone worried that BO.2 will be a Lag Fest !
    xblbw

Yep, and don't forget Elite.

vims1990

I was worried about the skill based matchmaking system until Vahn stated that the skill based matchmaking system is only for one playlist (most likely the competitive playlist).

So standard matchmaking applies to the standard playlists.

However, I am concerned about the livestreaming feature being added in BO2.

The last couple of COD titles have had connectivity problems, why add more to create even bigger problems?

smokesdope

Yip the playlists are going to be fractured terribly those with the DLC and those with out then the ppl that want to play competitively and those that don't . So the community is going to be split in four before you even pick a game mode ! Which can only mean one thing LAG ,LAG & more Lag for good measure :(

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

The CODCaster should be the host.

Anybody knows how many people can CodCast per match? I fear that if you are the host, the game will lag even more now that you have a CodCaster(s) connected to you.

smokesdope

I'm sure CoDCasting will be like Elite we will get a working version next year ! Lol hopefully not! I hope Treyark have done their homework !

dstr001

Unlike IW or beachhead, 3arc know how to do features like this; Black ops 1s theatre mode actually worked much better than MW3s, and that was the first time CoD had a built in theatre mode; don't let IWs laziness put a bad taste in your mouth, 3arc put more work into their games, end of.

biron_w

I'm kinda worried it'll be laggy.

I'm still convinced that Theatre and Elite interfere with the people's connections a bit and now they're adding more things into the mix.

But we won't know until November if Treyarch have go things right.

I don't see this being all that laggy..

The game has always had numerous playlists and provided the player base stays as large as it has always been there will be very few issues.

As far as streaming goes that is merely down to your upload speed. Having a whole lobby full of streamers is not going to introduce added lag. What may introduce it is if the matchmaking chooses a host that is streaming but does not have the upload speed to host as well, but if Treyarch get this right it will be a none issue as they just won't be chosen.

To stream you need about 1-2Mb/s upload speed and to host you need about the same. So many players these days will be able to do one or the other. There will of course be some that can do both very easily like those on 50Mb/s down 5Mb/s up deals. Hell those in the UK are even better off as the leading broadband providers Virgin and BT offer 100Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up deals. I'm not sure it'll be a huge issue.

I think matchmaking may make a few mistakes and select someone streaming that can't handle hosting as well, but it will probably be a rare occurance just like when matchmaking these days selects a player that can't even support hosting a game. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

seams to be alot of worry about codcasting , it may just be an option like theatre and you can just turn it off , or like smokedope said it could be an intergration with elite therfore it might get to beta stage by summer 2013.

danielbondnz

Yea they seem to have been really pushing their codcast feature. I think it will be a good feature, but wont interest 90% of the community after the first week.

And yes, im worried for lag, Black ops 1 was a glitchy mess, this one better be much smoother, atleast as smooth as MW3, but hopfully better. Or ill revert back to MW3.

xblbw

Codcast won't interest 90%? I think you are being too generous.

How many cod cast videos can the world take? Couple hundred a month at the most. Over a player base of (much) greater than a millions users.

I hope it was easy to impliment as I don't see the point in everyone having access to it. Maybe I am missing something.

There will be no going back to MW3 for me. That has been the most frustrating game I have ever played. If BOII doesnt work for me, I will continue the search elsewhere.

Film_Not_Rated

Nope.

Blops1 had the bullet delay but wasn't to bad besides that.

MW3 was terrible, I don't see anything passing that game in how bad the connection is to be honest.

It may have issues, but what game doesn't?

I've yet to see anything BO2 related that has caused me to worry.

nicedrewishfela

No, I am staying positive. Don't drag us down with these unsubstantiated worries. I am excited for the new game and have faith that the devs will give us the best game they can. I've never let connection issues ruin my fun, and am not about to start now.

Lets discuss this after release if it becomes an issue.

grif77775

As long as theres a locale only search feature lag shouldn't be an issue. Blops got right. Fair enough it took a month or 2, but they still produced the goods. And I can still get a 4 bar games blops 1 year after the games life cycle ended so you should faith

Jinx484

You're all forgetting lag compensation problems existed in Black Ops.  Treyarch vehemently denied that these problems existed.  Not until MW3 had these problems been admitted and addressed.

The ppl behind BO2 are the same people as before.  Definitely worried that if lag comp still exists, it will not be dealt with.

nicedrewishfela

I played a ridiculous amount of days on Black Ops. While I had the occasional laggy game, overall I didn't have any issues. MW3 is a whole other story. Never had anywhere near the amount of issues with BO that I have had with MW3. All FPS games have lag comp, its more how effectively the developers handle it.  I have faith that the guys at Treyarch have done their homework on this.

danielbondnz

Jinx484 wrote:

You're all forgetting lag compensation problems existed in Black Ops.  Treyarch vehemently denied that these problems existed.  Not until MW3 had these problems been admitted and addressed.

The ppl behind BO2 are the same people as before.  Definitely worried that if lag comp still exists, it will not be dealt with.

All cods have had lag compensation, its needed to make the game playable, otherwise it would just be the guy nearest the host location that wins the gun fight.

However the reason Lag comp is in the lime light now is because IW messed it up a bit, and made it a disadvantage to be host. However they have for the most part sorted the host disadvantage issue.

Black ops had the oppsoite problem, hosts had a major advantage to anyone else. And the net coding was so bad, thats why it was so laggy all the time if the host wasnt totaly perfect.

danielbondnz wrote:

Jinx484 wrote:

All cods have had lag compensation, its needed to make the game playable, otherwise it would just be the guy nearest the host location that wins the gun fight.

However the reason Lag comp is in the lime light now is because IW messed it up a bit, and made it a disadvantage to be host. However they have for the most part sorted the host disadvantage issue.

Black ops had the oppsoite problem, hosts had a major advantage to anyone else. And the net coding was so bad, thats why it was so laggy all the time if the host wasnt totaly perfect.

it should be a huge concern for everyone. they did try to convince everyone it was all in our heads by deceiving, lying, and such. even now, the remaining infinity ward, continues to do this today. no developer has yet to be completely open about the poor lag compensation in games today. i have even tried to return to black ops in the last couple days, but it just completely unplayable. constant one shot deaths, enemy has instant reflexes, whole magazines to kill enemy's, shoot first and die, etc.

and just to make this clear to everyone. not every call of duty has lag compensation, just the last few or so. and in every call of duty sense it's been turned up and gotten worse. you also do not need lag compensation for the game to be playable. the original gears of war does not and it's more playable then most games of today, expecially with a good host. even call of duty 4 works better today then new cod's. connection would also not be the all determining factor for gun battles.

also, the lag compensation issues are not only host related. i don't know how hard it is for everyone to understand this. i have left the game many times to see if i am host. i am not. but still suffer from huge disadvantage. no matter what bandwidth used, city, country, xbox, isp, etc. i have the same problem.

and to finish this off, the host in black ops had the largest disadvantage no host advantage by any means.

sorry, don't take this rant personally, danielbondnz. just tierd of all the misinformation, all overall bs by everyone including the devs. or more likely the bs the devs are forced into saying because of the publisher.

k9kilo

Black Ops always lagged for me, even in local only it would put me in lobbies with Pedro, Osama and some guy named Bret from California and I live in the south!

smokesdope

Played a good few hours on Blops the other day and the lag was terrible ,bullet registration was a mess I would fire then stop and a second later the bullets would register and I would get the kill.

For me MW3 runs sooo much smoother but I have faith that BO.2 will be ok . I'm sure there will be problems at release but I'm sure they will be on top of it and get patches out a fast as possible .

banned-again

i wasnt to bothered about it until i played black ops the other day and like you have just pointed out the lag as terrible and the hit detection is a joke it got alot worse when i was host i just hope they fix this host advantage/disavantage before the game is released

Moofda

I am worried, yes. The best indicator of the future is the past, and the past couple of games have caused havoc in the lag arena.

I'm just hoping they got it sorted out, especially since they're adding more features that can add to the lag like the live stream. At least from what I understand that is only in the Skilled matchmaking arena.

otisman666

The funny thing is, I would be willing to bet that a high % of tweets that came into the "Ask vahn a question" thing were about connection issues.  They are refusing to discuss it.

So am I worried?  Hell yes I'm worried, to the point that I will most likely pass on pre-ordering the game until we have some intel on this.

smokesdope

The thing is I pay for the best Internet which my area provides which is supposedly 16MB is this going to be enough ?? I can't wait till fibre optic gets rolled out at the start of next year then I'll have no worries with my super fast broadband which I'm paying through the nose for :/

anim4l8u

I understand alot of the people that are not worried about the lag, but if you think back to the release of almost every COD, lag has always been the main issue. BO1 was borderline unplayable for the first month until they patched the game.

This is not negativity, its history. I am not saying that the game is going to be horrible or anything of the sort, I am just saying that the game is going to be bad@$$ or broken based on the lag comp / connection issues.

From that perspective, I hope that they start discussing how they are going to tackle those issues so that history does not repeat itself.

I know I am in the minority here, but my experiences with lag on any of the COD's I have played have not been as bad as other people seem to make it out to be. I am not saying that I have never been killed because someone had a connection advantage over me. I am also not saying that I have never got a kill that I shouldn't have because I had an advantage over them. But I hear players constantly complain about lag. I probably hear the word "lag" 10-15 times per match. We will just have to see how Black Ops 2 plays out. Maybe it will be laggy compared to other COD's. But I can't imagine being any worse than what most COD players already perceive it to be.

well it's definitely been getting worse every title. there is a day and night difference in connectivity returning to say the original modern warfare. the problem is not everyone knows how to or can see it themselves. some claim not to experience any problems. this is probably those gaining the advantage with their poor internet connection or something. in the older titles; models and hitboxes rarely seperate more then half a foot or less, and you would very rarely, if ever, die behind cover. now there are times where they seperate by 10 feet and you die around solid cover quite frequently. no exaggeration.

RenovaKunumaru

I've got this weird scenario. Hit detection sucks on my Xbox on back ops but it's fine on my ps3 with Black ops. Hit detection is perfect on my Xbox with mw3 and I don't have mw3 on my ps3.

blb128

Im not worried because I have great internet(25down and 5up) and I live in a populated area.

blb128 wrote:

Im not worried because I have great internet(25down and 5up) and I live in a populated area.

you really don't understand lag compensation then. good internet = disadvantage. bad internet = advantage. the worse someone's internet is, the more their [invisible] hitbox and charactor model seperates. giving them the advantage. and making it harder for you to actually hit them. if you have good internet, they stay together much closer, making it easy for the enemy to hit you. and laggy players game events get rewinded much more at the host, so they kill you behind cover. etc. read [lots] about it. it's total bs. believe me.

Yes actually i am afraid it will completely break the game actually