35 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2012 10:58 AM by UntouchableWolf RSS

Is Drop Shotting A Cheap Shot?  Video

UntouchableWolf

Is Drop Shotting  A Cheap Shot?

Let Me Know Your Thoughts As You Watch

Thanks For Watching Great COD Community and I Hope You Enjoy!

TheUntouchableWolf

• Re: Is Drop Shotting A Cheap Shot?  Video
    Noob_Lyncher

Didn't watch yet, but I do think it's kinda cheap. It's something a little kid would do to gain an edge like how MLG pro's use the "snake glitch". I've never had to use either, and I destrominate without them. I don't really care if kids do it, but they can't cry about me using an MP7.

phxs72

I didn't mind it in BO but because I'm usually on the wrong side of lag in MW3, I find it cheap.  It's really annoying to be shooting someone and getting hitmarkers only for the hitmarkers to stop registering and only after you die do you see that the enemy has dropshotted you.  Not the dropshotters fault mind you but if they couldn't do any better with the lag comp then they should have increased the individual health to compensate.

I think drop shotting is all fair play. You can't complain because someone out manuevered you right in front of your face.

Anyway, some constructive crticisim for you sir

The content of your video was really short. You discussed drop shotting for maybe 45 seconds and the rest of the video was seemingly about why they should subscribe and such.

I like that wolf sound in the end, it's your own personal identifier.

I personally like when the subscribe message is at the end of the video and is creative and short.

My personal opinion, you don't have to listen to it but otherwise it was a nice video, keep it up

Dropshots are part of the game and all Run N Gunners should use this to their advantage. It's not cheap instead what is to you is annoying.

In Blops it was more about Halo Jumping, Bunny hopping but in MW3 dropshots are just more effective.

phxs72

The thing that makes it cheap is the lag.  The tactic itself I have no problem with.  In BO you could see the guy going to the ground.  In MW3 often you can't which is why it's more effective in MW3 than it was in BO.  I've killed tons of Halo jumpers and dropshotters in BO.  Even though BO had lag issues as well, the extra health that you had in BO compensated for the lag problems.  I don't have a problem with someone dropshotting in MW3.  It's a very effective tactic but I also know that it's effectiveness has alot more to do with poor lag comp than skill on their part.

PS: I have dropshotted on MW3 and found that my kills went way up even with low level guns compared to standing.  It's not that I'm that much better of a gun fighter when laying down.  If anything I'm exploiting the game mechanics to my advantage.  Not complaining.  Just making an observation.

zingaa

I was under the assumption that only little kids drop shotted, I guess I was wrong

As long as right thumbstick knifing is in the game, I don't see a problem with drop shotting.

supervelous

I find no problem with dropshotting, like the guy above me said, panic knife lunging is so ridiculous in this game, and most drop shotters cant do it, or if they can they can't do it as quick as non-dropshotters since most dropshotters play on Tactical and thus have to reach over to the B button to knife. 

I get panic knifed all the time.   And half the time the guy lunges through 2-3 of my bullets on his way to knifing me.  

JSlayer211

It's more of a cheap tactic than a cheap shot. The mechanics for the game allow complete and total control and continued fire while dropping and that's my major gripe with it. It's just not feasible for a person to do such without some kind of flinching or movement that knocks the aim off target.

Once you realize you are dealing with a habitual drop shotter, just treat them as you would a shotgun user. Keep your distance and drill them. Drop shotting is only good within mid range imo. If the target is too close they easy out strafe you and shoot you on the ground before you can manuever to aim at them. If the target is far, dropping only makes you a much easier target to shoot.

When I started playing MW3, drop shotting was my bread and butter. However, as my gameplay grew, I found it less and less useful. Now I don't do it at all and I have no problems dealing with drop shotters.

SitRepPro

JSlayer211 wrote:

It's more of a cheap tactic than a cheap shot. The mechanics for the game allow complete and total control and continued fire while dropping and that's my major gripe with it. It's just not feasible for a person to do such without some kind of flinching or movement that knocks the aim off target.

Yeah I never understood that.  I think you can get modded controllers that make it automatic too.

you can tell a modded controller with drop shotting.. someone who has tactical, you see it as 2 motions.. crouch, then prone..

with modded, its one fluent motion... up to straight down

SitRepPro

ERROR_6_ wrote:

you can tell a modded controller with drop shotting.. someone who has tactical, you see it as 2 motions.. crouch, then prone..

with modded, its one fluent motion... up to straight down

Heh.  Just as I thought!  Don't really mind it but I wondered if I was going against people who've had lots of practice with it or were using a modded controller, since drop shotting can be more productive than rapid fire techniques.  Haven't come across very good ones recently though.  Rather spend the money on a new game than a modded controller tbh.

Nice work Wolf, keep up the good work. Your videos are interesting, and I can see you reaching 10,000 subscribers by spring

9v9me

If dropshotting is cheap, then panic knifing is broken. 

nicedrewishfela

Great work as usual, Wolf. I always enjoy your positive spin on things. I left you a comment and a like on the channel.

I used to get very upset with Drop-shotters in game. For a long time I felt like it was a cheap tactic, but I think it was because I didn't quite understand how they were reacting that quickly.

From the onset of MW3, I kept finding myself knifing in the middle of gunfights. I don't recall this happening in previous titles, so I am not sure why it was happening all of a sudden in this one. It got to a point where I was getting killed as a result of it.

I picked up the idea to switch to tactical from a thread on here, and gave it a try. My first match in I was the highest scorer in the room on Dome. I found that now, instead of swinging my knife,  I was hitting the ground while maintaining target acquisition. I wish I could say thats happened in every match since, but the results have been better, even if my knife is considerably slower now .

I think its a skill like any other on this game. It is a part of the game, and as long as someone isn't using a modded controller to gain an advantage, its just as fair as any other tactic. Soldiers are taught to expose as little of themselves as possible to the enemy, giving them a smaller target to shoot for. When you see films or movies of soldiers in battle, when the firing starts they don't go running directly into it, but the first order is always "GET DOWN!". The trade-off, in game, of course is that you run the risk of exposing yourself to a headshot.

The biggest thing for the devs to consider in future games is the animation. It is somewhat cheapened if the player just magically goes from standing to prone, like the ridiculous Final/Last Stand animations. The shooter should get some sort of visual cue that their target is going prone.

Good video as always, Wolf. Thanks for bringing some class and positivity to the community.

It's no cheaper than panic knifing. I'm so far behind, it's as if people go around corners pre-knifing. I'm dead the moment I see them.

The only way I can get kills in this game is to shoot them in the back, or dropshot them.

Dafonse30

I have been drop shotting since battle field mc on PS2 so to me is second nature , but my opinion is this, compare to panic knife, quick scope and all the other crap that people cry about in this game, drop shot has more tacticle value than anything else, or what you expect me to sit there and take it? No sir, I am a run and gun and drop shot gives me a tactical advantage no matter what game I play specially in games where accuracy is raised by laying down.

creepingxdeth90

I've never tried drop shotting. Too be honest I'm a little too lazy to switch up to tactical lol and I do kind of look at it as being a little cheap, but no more so than using a very overpowered gun or purposely using rocket launchers the entire game. However in this game it bugs me a bit more than it has in previous games because of lag compensation. There is simply nothing I can do to react to someone who is drop shotting when they are being compensated.

That being said, lag compensation ruins everything in the game, I can rarely ever get knife kills because of it, I hit the knife button, start to melee and fall over from their knife. Kill cam shows that I never even began to engage in a melee swipe.

I will fully admit that drop shotting would give you a big advantage at times but I would probably never do it. I look at it like you are playing a friendly game of football and one friend shows up with pads and cleats on.

I respect the fact that people like your videos sir! They're indeed perceived candy to most of the community.

For more experienced players, however, speaking for myself, your gameplays are quite boring with overdone or noob topics. Haters are gonna hate, right?

electricfuneralfire

In my opinion, for serious CoD players, or for any CoD player for that matter, to not drop shot is pure laziness. Why wouldnt you  drop shot. All you have to do is press a button. Its realistic, i someone is in a real combat situation and the come into contact with an enemy they are goin prone asap. Thats one of the essential things they teach in basic.

BlueberrySyrup

At the same time, your feet wouldn't just magically slide back as you perfectly aim your gun and keep shooting while you gently lay down. Drop shotting I don't mind much, but it's pretty annoying sometimes. I use a Riot Shield so they normally just run away because they know their stupid tricks won't work.

real world comparisons again. in a real combat situation? feet from the enemy, dropping down to lay on your stomach in the middle of a firefight is a good move? something actually taught? i cant see that at all. i see a lot of disadvantages to doing that, but maybe its because i hate drop shotting, especially people who drop shot for every kill, or the worst being drop shotted in your back. i mean come on i got my back to you and you still have to drop shot? how about the jumping dropshot? :shudder: i personally think its pretty cheap, hipfiring against a drop shotter will get you head shots galore though.

TheSurgeon83

I started drop-shotting about a month ago as a result of constantly leaning in the right stick to much during combat and dying. I don't use it all the time, it's virtually impossible with the semi-auto weapons I use (MK14, T95, Striker) and the MSR but it's very effective with full auto AR's, SMG's and machine pistols. It tool a while to get used to, and I get the odd abusive message but it's been a bit help in combat. At least it has a basis in real life, unlike thickscoping.

I don't view it as something cheap, but believe it is something that people attest many of their deaths to.

The big thing is when someone dropshots you are usually aiming to their chest

and must adjust your aim.

But they are shooting you which also gives view kick from being it

mixed with the recoil of your weapon.

Solution is to kill the guy before he has a chance to drop. Ideally during is movement to the crouch position.

Cheers!

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

It's not a cheap tactic. It's skill. Not everyone does it and some are too lazy to switch to tactical.

Off topic: Wolf, I think you should do open lobbies more often.

zingaa

I don't dropshot and I don't have a huge problem with people who do, at this point people dropshot all day long so you better adjust or get over it.

zero7272

Hey Wolf not bashing or anything but it seems like you were little of your game with this comentary, ive seen your other stuff there were much smoother then this, try being consistant wit coms bro. if your not ready dont rush it out there. intresting none the less. keep putting in that work man.

wolf i had a similar thought when people kept drop shotting me.. i hated it so much and often raged when it happened to me. especially since i always panic knifed people. then i realized if you cant beat them in ur game, beat them in their game. i just changed to tactical layout and i made the game a lot 'equal' when i play with others that use the same technique. its not a cheap tactic, rather more effective one. if you dont like dropshots thn dont play the game, its that easy. it helps countless players in gun fights especially in FFA since i've been playing it recently, and it helps your KD a lot as well.. i mean, u cant beat a sniper from mid range when ur still standing since he only needs 1 shot. but if u can drop in time and make him miss, u'll hav a much better chance of killing him

so stop ******** over it bro

i don't really mind the dropshoters, but when you get the ones that is all they seam to do in every incounter is the dropshot, i also get a little giggle have any of you noticed they have already killed you but they still drop even tho there is no other enemys near . it must be auto in there brain dropshot.