1 2 3 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 5:25 PM by nicka_denton RSS

Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up

Izjar11

COD,

Hadn't posted anything new lately because it seems every subject has been covered, the endless "I can't stand campers" the "lag has ruined my life" the new "terminal is from hell" to the spam clan invites and best weapon choices threads.

Very few who post here have constructive words and advice such as they are in my opinion, ghamorra, rlbl, wridtrvlr, banhammer, dannytanner, and a few others write some good stuff and respond with decency. (if I left those few others out apologies)

Well I wanted to touch a subject that is has been spoken about but with less intensity. Age and gaming (this is my second thread on the subject)

Here are some facts I found (citation bottom of thread)

• The average gamer is 37 years old, and has been playing games for 12 years. (Wow! I don't feel like such a grandpa now!)
  • The average game buyer is 41  years old.
  • In 2011, 29 percent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games, an  increase from nine percent in 1999.
  • 72 percent of American households play video games. (100 percent of my household plays games.)
  • 42 percent of gamers are women.
  • Adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population  (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).
  • Seventy-six percent of all games sold in 2010 were rated "E" for  Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+.
  • Forty-five percent of parents reported playing video games with their  children on a weekly basis,
  • nine out of ten parents saying they pay  attention to the content of the games their children play
  • 68 percent of parents believe that games provide mental  stimulation or education value
  • 57 percent believe games encourage  their family to spend time together.
  • 54 percent believe that  games helps their children connect with friends.
  • 65 percent of gamers play games with other gamers  in person.
  • 55 percent of gamers play games on their phones  or handheld devices
  • 86 percent know of the ESRB and 98  percent are confident in its accuracy and recommendations.
  • Consumers spent $25.1 billion on game content, hardware and  accessories in 2010.

Interesting facts, the older we get the more games we are playing. I grew up on video games so playing these war based titles is natural for me. And as an adult I accept its faults and fun factor without complain about them (as much).

But it seems that our younger generation of gamers are way to demanding, overly critical and simply annoying. This is not an attack on all younger gamers just those who truly can't tell the difference when someone tells them yes and no.

Another interesting fact is there are as many female gamers here, and they complain allot less than the male gamers. Why is that?

We are all gamers, just enjoy what the game has to offer, kill/get killed (its ok) blow things up, blow people up, shoot shi-t down, run or hide just know its a game and there are many more important things that are worth you getting upset at, raging or coming here and cussing the developers out.

happy hunting COD.

citation:

johnson, S. (n.d.). Esa's gamer study: Average player 37; 42 percent of gamers female. Retrieved from http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713502/esas-gamer-study-average-player-37- 42-percent-of-gamers-female/

• 1. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    wridtrvlr

Nice post Ego!!! 

I know personally I've been gaming since I was 7.  That's when my parents first got me the NES.  What a superb piece of machinery that was.  Mario was the bomb, Contra was the bomb and games were much simpler then.

Then they released SNES and it blew my mind!  Since then gaming has developed 100 fold.  Things are WAY more advanced then the old 8-bit games were grew up on.  In a way, these games developed my psyche.  I can't imagine the psyche of an 8 year old playing MW3, talk about ADD.  I know why most kids can't sit still in school. 

Those are great facts and very interesting.  It's be nice to also know how many parents buy their kids games rated "M" without knowing what they are handing their children. But truly kids these days are the "I want everything now, and I mean NOW" generation.  I can't count the number of kids I've seen that straight up manipulate their parents and their parents put up with it.  It's just lazy parenting.  They don't know how to tell their child no, so the child gets whatever it wants and when they finally do say no the child has a meltdown. 

Ok, enough of that.  I'm almost 29 years old and I've been gaming since I was 7 years old.  that makes for 22 years of gaming.  22 years of being around and watching the gaming world develop and yet I still have to listen to these whiny brats online complaining about every little detail of a game that doesn't work out perfectly for them...

• 2. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

thanks bro,

Contra was the bomb    

Still is

Then they released SNES and it blew my mind!  Since then gaming has developed 100 fold.  Things are WAY more advanced then the old 8-bit games were grew up on.  In a way, these games developed my psyche.  I can't imagine the psyche of an 8 year old playing MW3, talk about ADD.  I know why most kids can't sit still in school

I had the same console and I still managed to get an education, get a job, family and grow up and simpyly appreciate the games. Many who play can't get past the faults they see.

It's be nice to also know how many parents buy their kids games rated "M" without knowing what they are handing their children.

I know, I was thinking the same. Do parents simply buy the game and not worry about their childrens online interaction? It is lazy parenting.

kids these days are the "I want everything now, and I mean NOW" generation.  I can't count the number of kids I've seen that straight up manipulate their parents and their parents put up with it.

Yes, its great to get things when you ask for them, but they grow up with this false notion that everything in life should be dealt with the same. And its the biggest lie parents are handing down today.

22 years of being around and watching the gaming world develop and yet I still have to listen to these whiny brats online complaining about every little detail of a game that doesn't work out perfectly for them...

A blink in gaming history (games have been around since late 70's) but I know what you mean. I've been gaming since 88 with NES. And yes, as I mentioned they cannot figure out the faults they find in the game are either their own, someone else's (now they've paid attention to).

• 3. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up

Well Izjar11,

This is a good artikle. I started gaming at my 5th with the NES i played the Zelda games and the Mario part 1 2 3 wow i loved them. When i was that age my mother told me when i wanted a video game i had to save my money. i got 5 gilden  a week and a video game was like 100 gilden. so it took me months to buy a video game. but at least i played it months in a row until i had the money for a new game.

after that i bought the super NES the Nintendo 64 and so on i had every console until now i play at my Xbox 360.me and my girl play MW3 a lot and still enjoy this game every day.

Okay some days we do better then other and yes there are some games which let us scream from anger because the gameplay is not like we want it.

But hey sit out the game session leave the lobby and find a new one and yes in every game there is a camper maybe some people who not play the game like you want it or how it suppose to be.

But ask yourself, why are i am playing this game because i like to play video games right??

But i have the feeling that most of the people from a younger generation are so spoiled that they do not appreciate a good videogame anymore it always has to be better

(like they can make it better themselves by complaining all the time)

I should say give them 24 hours with a NES and mario 1 and let them play this game over and over again.

and then tell them that 20 years ago single player 8 bit was the bomb.

Let the parent not give the games but let the kids work for it.

• 4. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

I should say give them 24 hours with a NES and mario 1 and let them play this game over and over again.

and then tell them that 20 years ago single player 8 bit was the bomb.

Let the parent not give the games but let the kids work for it.

Yes, it is a matter of appreciation and understanding that the game is. Take a look at the old zelda commercial below and then tell me how goofy it is. Yet the game it self I remembered being amazing.

• 5. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    wridtrvlr

Classic!!!  That game was the best AND could occupy you for days!  Put me in front of my NES and my parents could do what ever they wanted for hours and know that I'd still be in the same spot. 

• 6. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    pkkveel

"But it seems that our younger generation of gamers are way to demanding, overly critical and simply annoying. This is not an attack on all younger gamers just those who truly can't tell the difference when someone tells them yes and no."

this is applicable to so much more than gaming today !

thank you for one of the most interesting posts on this forum

P.

• 7. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    Izjar11

this is applicable to so much more than gaming today !

thank you for one of the most interesting posts on this forum

Thanks

• 8. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    RAMBONER

Oh man those were the days buddy.

I was playin with a couple of buddies last night and they are younger then I am.  Hope I dont bore anyone here but you can skip it if you want...haa..

So they guys in my clan were on last night.  I have played with them for a couple of months and they are pretty cool guys but they are sooooooo serious about the clan ops, challenges stuff.  I was playing with a guy whom I have played with since early Nov. who is not in my clan and the guys in my clan were getting FLAT PIZZED that I would not jump in with them and one of the guys is irrate because I wont "rock the clan tag" LMFAO.....GTFO of here dude.  Are we fkn 10yrs old or adults.  I dont like how clan tags look so I dont use any and if this is going to be a problem I will get out of the clan and delete all of you from my FL.  I play the game for fun and if it becomes something other then that then Im done with it..

I was telling my buddy about playing games back in the day and how I enjoyed them by myself  and didnt need anyone to make them fun and didnt need some douche getting mad because I wont "rock the tag".

Not to keep draggin on here but a friend and I bought a 30pack and hooked up the ol' NES in my basement awhile back and jammed out.  What a blast and dam my TV looks huge with old school mario running around on there......haaaaa.....My old TV when I was a kid must have had a 10 inch screen and an 80 inch box around it....LOL..

• 9. Re: Continuation of Age and gaming > Growing up
    phxs72

I actually still have a working SNES and the original Zelda game.  I loved it and a few decades later both of my boys loved it too.  It's hard to beat such a well thought out game.

1 2 3 Previous Next