39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 6:13 PM by SANDRABEE007 RSS

People Playing for K/D in Objective Games Instead of Winning

KrillMania870

I hate when people play Call of Duty for their K/D ratio instead of playing the objective. Its cool to get kills, but at least play to win and capture ''some'' objectives. Like in Kill Confirmed, people don't pick up dog tags so they can get only kills, kill streaks, or MOABs which cause the team to lose the game. Team Deathmatch and Free-For-All is for your K/D ratio, not objective games. Also in Domination, some players don't even caps flags to try to win, all some of the players do is play for their stats. If they care so much about stats, go play TDM or FFA. I love to play for fun and show my skill in a game. Give me your comments(good or bad) on this topic. Tell me how you feel about people who care more about stats instead of winning and having fun.

• Re: People Playing for K/D in Objective Games Instead of Winning
    WKMMS

The simple solution to that is that kills earned in objective game types don't count towards your KDR.  KDR should only be made up of kills from FFA and TDM where that matters most... maybe KC too

zvers

Or just realize that you are playing with a team of random's the simple fact is, you can't control what others do or how they play. You're not the only person playing the game. You aren't playing with and against an AI. If you get stuck on a Team that has many so, so players well guess what, they won't be as successful as a Team working together, period. Too much whining about things you simply cannot control. Is it wrong? Well no but it DOES suck. Worry about your own hide if your playing solo. I play solo all the time.

agreed, i play solo all the time, and the only people I hear complaing about how i play and the reason why I had a good kd while the rest of my team went crazy negative, are the internet tough guys on the opposite side

crying because i ruined there kill streaks,  moabs and basically put up a fight against them.. it is what it is, suck it up

WKMMS wrote:

The simple solution to that is that kills earned in objective game types don't count towards your KDR.  KDR should only be made up of kills from FFA and TDM where that matters most... maybe KC too

This makes a good debate, I agree with the above but instead of complete no count, have only defence and attack kills count to K:D

deadimpact

Having slayers on your team in objective games can be helpful. Dead enemies don't capture or defend objectives. But I understand that when you have everyone trying to do this, a loss is inevitable. For me, there are two easy solutions to this situation: leave the game or play in an organized party.

Agreed.

My stats follow as such for domination.

K/D 1.73 Captures 6,235 Defends 5,020 in 1,796

That averages to 3 captures and 2.8 defends a game.

Objective player?

Anyone want to contest that?

It bothers me when people sit w/ one flag and go for kills.

YOU NEED AT LEAST TO FLAGS TO WIN.

My gamertag is "DopHop" if you want to check stats.

My whole opinion on it, is you can slay and still capture flags.

Camping for your AC-130 Osprey Gunner or Reaper when they

get shot down and don't help, you are a hindrance to your team.

Noob_Lyncher

That's why I play with people that killwhore only when we're winning.

I agree with you about kill whores in Dom, HQ, etcetera, but if a guy MOABs in KC and the team loses I don't think he can be blamed solely although I do think everyone SHOULD pick up some tags...

Also FFA is not for KDR, only TDM is...

In TDM the Positive KDR team WIN and the Negative KDR team lose...

In FFA the first player to 30 kills WINS, regardless of how many deaths he has taken. You can win a FFA with a negative KDR...

SitRepPro

Jus_call_me_J wrote:

... but if a guy MOABs in KC and the team loses I don't think he can be blamed solely although I do think everyone SHOULD pick up some tags...

The problem is the scoreboard doesn't take into account of how many unconfirmed kills each player has.  So you can get a MOAB by having 0 confirmed kills.  The only way to get a MOAB in KC when it is up to 65 is that someone is killwhoring, or the opponents are really, really bad.  In which case, even if they are really bad, a single player may still not get to a MOAB in time.

I'd happily go out of my way to find a killwhore.

SitRepPro wrote:

Jus_call_me_J wrote:

... but if a guy MOABs in KC and the team loses I don't think he can be blamed solely although I do think everyone SHOULD pick up some tags...

The problem is the scoreboard doesn't take into account of how many unconfirmed kills each player has.  So you can get a MOAB by having 0 confirmed kills.  The only way to get a MOAB in KC when it is up to 65 is that someone is killwhoring, or the opponents are really, really bad.  In which case, even if they are really bad, a single player may still not get to a MOAB in time.

I'd happily go out of my way to find a killwhore.

Oh for sure, if someone on the other team is on for a MOAB, then they are my prime target too...

My point was more about the fact that several people use long range guns in KC and several people use shotties and subbies. There is usually a few guys more then happy to grab the campers tags for them and collect the points with them. If I am using a LMG and I shoot a guy on the other end of the map, then I will fish those tags rather than slowly waddling over there to get them...

ChronicCritic

There is a very simple solution to this...

No1: Remove The K/D stat from Objective modes alltogether.

No2: Remove Killstreaks alltogether.

If You remove these two things there will only be one reason to play objective

games : TO WIN!

Just imagine how much fun the game will be when everyone is trying to actively win, The games would be awesome, More people will communicate ,etc etc.

Unfortunately this concept is mostly appealing to mature gamers.

RoeParcRanger

Or to what seems to now be called "tryhards". It is now wrong to be the best, just like its more cool to be stupid than smart.

SitRepPro

ChronicCritic wrote:

There is a very simple solution to this...

No1: Remove The K/D stat from Objective modes alltogether.

No2: Remove Killstreaks alltogether.

If You remove these two things there will only be one reason to play objective

games : TO WIN!

Just imagine how much fun the game will be when everyone is trying to actively win, The games would be awesome, More people will communicate ,etc etc.

Unfortunately this concept is mostly appealing to mature gamers.

Or we can expand Barebones playlist?  I play it and it has TDM, KC and Dom.  The games are often harder in my experience but more enjoyable.

KTPhoenix

i believe they should completely remove K/D from ALL matches except for non-objective matches. the K/D is too much of a distraction in objective modes because people see the extended time they dont get in FFA or TDM and think that is an excuse to inflate their kills and not bother with objectives.

I actively play Kill Confirmed, and I can honnestly say that I HATE when people just go for kills and pick up little to no tags. You can tell by their score who's doing it.I try to pick up as many tags as I can in a game, usually scoring (on average) anywhere from 2700-3600 points each game.

I currently have

32,741 kills

29,766 confirms

9,500 denies

and a score of 4.56MM

with 2,295 matches played.

So yeah, I woud definitely say that I'm a "team player", and it sucks when you lose a game simply because people aren't playing the objective.

plasmaflame

I'll tell you what. If you can guarantee that I'll get one or two decent random players in my team, I'll go for the objective more often. I play for the objective when I can acually get the objective, not when I'm guaranteed to die trying.

kemicalsupreme

simple soloution is to take out killstreaks and KDR!

Flogging that horse won't resurrect it.

Posted something similar earlier on another thread, but I'd be happy if they got rid of KDR all together. 

I'd rather see a leaderboard comprising of:

+ Kills Per Minute / Kills Per Game

+ Score Per Minute

+ Objective related info where appropriate (KC/Dom/HQ/CTF etc)

I think that would cut down on these fools who are quite happy to sit in a bush at the back of the map, contribute nothing to their team, go 8-1 and end with 400 points.  As long as KDR is in the game people who aren't necessarily 2.0KD players are going to hide their way to it. 

Far more impressed by someone with 25kills per game and a 1.6kd, than a tool with 3.6kd and 9kills per game. 

Don't think you could get rid of the Kill Streaks because its part of what people expect from the COD series.

Good post pal!

Cheers,

Stu

exactly... in objective modes like domination, I will tac insert and "recon by death" as I like to call it, almost single handedly holding down the objective, my KD will be sad but my score will be high and I like to try to win. In these modes dying doesnt automatically ding the team so its a useful tactic when needed. However in tdm and such I will suicide myself to avoid giving the other team a predator kill, or to bring down a chopper asap... there are many ways to play when KD is not top priority.  I have about 51000 kill overall and 55000 deaths... I am currently working on improving my kd to a 1 so I can retire mw3 with 10th prestige and pos kd.. I am using 3on3 for this as I usually go plus 10 kills each game... however I always pick up tags when they are near, winning is still my primary goal... looking at my w/l ratio you may not suspect that but I back out like crazy whenever there is a bad connection. So the moral is STATS rarely tell the whole story. high KDs are usually associated with some kind of stat-whoring tactic.

One of the most annoying game modes for this is Sabotage. Everyone wants to play it like its a 20 minute tdm. I have been in many many games where i will be the only one bringing the bomb to the target,while my team sits back and watches me die,only to grab the bomb and and run away from the target to hide in a building with it.Just to farm more kills.And if somehow you manage to get the bomb and plant it,your team just quits out,making it easy for the other team to defuse and go plant and win.Which they are more than happy to do,after being killfarmed for most of the match.

The best option is to just remove k/d stats from all objective modes. Other games,such as Uncharted 3 have done this and it does make a difference in the amount of people who play the objective.

TDM and FFA,possibly KC should be only modes that increase or decrease your k/d ratio.

I know you can still win in ffa and kc with a negative k/d,but kills is still pretty much the basis for those modes.

I personally grab as many tags as i can while playing KC whne not palying with my clan. I however have stopped collecting them while playing with my clan due to the fact i am done leveling and I save those points for clan mates that still are progressing.

Am a big fan of objective modes am pushing 20 thousand caps in dom with a measly 1.57k/d and a spm 265 and w/l 85% last i checked, most people in Nz  dont cap or play the objective and still only hold a 1k/d its gotten that bad down here when playing in partys you have to let the opposistion get 100 points ahead then make a come back or your winning the games by 180 points, solo's turned into a waste of time and ironically the only good games of dom that can be found is when im yellow bar playing against people in a different region

trialstardragon

Sorry to burst your bubble but not everyone that plays the game cares about winning all the time. W/L has less meaning to a very large portion of the players that play the game. Winning is not everything.

Even removing the stats will not change how some people play, nor will it cause more communication or more trying for the win just because you think it will. Some do just play for fun and their fun might be just to kill players and not care about the win or stats at all.

so then why are you in an objective lobby? other than to the easy pickings on all the lemmings going to the same place. if you want to get the most kills thats what tdm and ffa are for. if you dont care about winning or losing maybe you shouldnt play a game mode that is all about wins and losses? people like you are the reason i dont like playing obj games, you want some kills play tdm and ffa and see how many you get over there, youre good right? where its about kill or be killed rather than waiting back killing someone you know is coming to the flag or bomb, making it a heck of alot easier. great teammate that could care less as long as he gets his.

codchamp

Really! people play objective games to boost k/d? Who would have thunk it.

blb128

This is why I refuse to play with randoms anymore. I havent rolled solo since WAW. COD is so much more enjoyable in a party.

Get ready for league play in BLOPS 2. Players will have to play the objective in that because you need to win to rank up.

its beacuse they cant do well in modes were they cant kill objective players

bsk5150

This is the result of a generation that got awards for "participating".

WonkySausage

Do you guys know the ACTUAL way to stop all this KDR bullshit..?

It's really quite simple.

All IW/Treyarch have to do is to get rid of KDR full stop. So don't show how many kills you've earned totally, don't show how many deaths you've had totally. So no one will know, and thus, no one will care.

But of course, they should keep WLR to show how good you are at winning  games.

Yeah I have to agree.  I don't like it when people do not try to win.  I really haven't played anything as much as TDM.  That was because when I would look at how many people were playing what type of game.  The numbers were so big in TDM and so small on the other types.  Made me feel like I didn't have much choice about what I wanted to play.

When I did play other types, I did always try to win.

KTPhoenix

This is the exact reason why I stopped playing objectives in COD. As a matter of fact, I havent played any objective matches consistantly since MW2. Now on MW3 I have played a fair share of objective modes, but I have not played them as much as I have played HCTDM. And the main reason for that is because of what the OP is saying, people DONT play the objectives much anymore.

I got rid of this game to get BO2 and I probably wont get it back until it is cheaper. I dont think I would find it any different than when I left it. The maps are something to hate, there are hardly if not any maps worth using a sniper rifle on and the camping is just plain horrendous.

And for those who say to "play in a party", I really dont think you guys realize how much the term its easier said than done applies here. First you have the fact that many people on our friends list dont even have the game and if they do, they dont want to play it because of th BS. Then you have the fact that most randoms you play with wont want to play in a party. It is not that easy to just "get a party".

SANDRABEE007

as a noob finally learning how to read a team. i play goal games and you can tell at times if your players are only interested in KDR or the goal. one way to tell is your team members are always in buildings not so much to snipe but hunting down the badguys who are playing for KDR also.what i do is go for the goal of course i get killed a lot but some time in the game my teams players who are everywhere will run across me and help me cap a flag or defuse a bomb and then i will take off and go for the next goal and the players will start following me. yea it is a ton of work for a COD goal game but with the type of players that been on the teams now, it is complain, or try to get some of these players to be part of the team.and for whats it is worth, there are more threads about KDR here than goal game wins. also just about all the clans here want a KDR of 1+.