19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 9:15 AM by Datura RSS

Would life be better without Assassin?

This is a hypothetical about the Assassin perk.

I'm very new to MW3 but not to FPSs in general. When I started playing this game just recently I immediately noticed how much of an advantage Assassin gave you on the battlefield, and with more play time under my belt I soon discovered exactly how much of an advantage it really is. Now in regards to game balance, is it necessary to have something that makes you invisible to enemy radar, makes your name invisble, makes you invisible to UAV, immune to CUAV, immune to EMP, and blocks your heat signature from thermal? What I'm asking is if in a game that's designed to employ all these battlefield tactics, is it really necessary?

Now before immediately answering "yes it is, it creates balance", think about this. What if enemies didn't appear on your radar by default, only giving a location signature when firing an unsupressed gun or lit up by UAVs? And what if you never saw the enemies' names at all, only that of your teammates? Wouldn't this then make UAV/AUAV and CUAVs a battlefield commodity? And wouldn't it then just mean that if you ever saw a guy with no name on his head then it was time to start shooting? It would eliminate easy kills with airstrikes by requiring a UAV to see anybody, and that in itself would make strike package selection and usage more tactical. Corner campers would be countered by UAV as per design. Also something like Recon would then be a legitimate choice as your 1st perk, Thermal scopes would make sense being the last thing you unlock for most guns, and so on & so on.

I'm not toally against Assassin, I just think it's an oversight for the developers not to remove it from the formula considering what everything else in the game does, or is disigned to do. This perk waters down the game's complexity in my opinion. Really, if you didn't see enemy names or see them on the radar by default, you could remove Assassin altogether and would be left with a better game.

• Re: Would life be better without Assassin?
    mdm123456789

Newbs don't have opinions.

WKMMS

the only people bothered by assassin are those who rely on things like UAV, heartbeat monitors and portable radars rather than using their eyes and ears to locate their targets... if people don't rely so heavily on these crutches then assassin users will be of little or no concern

It's really not about being bothered by it, Assassin doesn't bother me at all to be honest. What grabs my attention is the observation that just one perk renders nearly all the game's tactical weapons redundant. I mean if you're gonna have one thing that counters everything else, then why have everything else at all? For gameplay's sake, wouldn't it just make more sense to remove that one thing than have everything else be a waste of time?

To be clear I'm not complaining about Assassin. I'm only looking to discuss whether or not other people feel that it's unnecessary and if in the future, like MW4, would it serve the game better to just remove it altogether. Not because I'm hating on it, I use it all the time, the thought comes from looking at what you can do in the multiplayer and how Assassin manages to undermine 99% of it all. That just seems silly doesn't it?

I dunno, I guess it's just me lol

vims1990

If portable radar didn't exist & there wasn't constant UAV spam, I would use Assassin less.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I don't want to be a constant red dot just because someone calls in UAV's every 30 seconds or I come across a team placing portable radar all over the map.

IndyOldGuy

vims1990 wrote:

If portable radar didn't exist & there wasn't constant UAV spam, I would use Assassin less.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

I don't want to be a constant red dot just because someone calls in UAV's every 30 seconds or I come across a team placing portable radar all over the map.

I use assasin to sneak up on buttholes sitting in corners, or guys just sitting pointing at a "spot" like a corner, with portable radars, and assassin...lol

Assassin is fine its called look at your screen instead of looking at your map and heartbeat sensor. If you don't like it because of people camping with it make it where instead of removing it make it where if you don't move if a UAV is in the air it can pin point you if you aren't moving much bam problem solved.

I swear Assassin noobs always have the same lame excuse, use your eyes and not map, what is the big deal of appearing on the mini map? Can you not get 3 kills of your own and call it even? I seriously wonder what these assassin scrubs run for kill streaks. I've been playing COD since COD4, obviously everyone ran UAV in COD 4 and WAW, when modern warfare came out you could select your own kill streaks but guess what? I ALWAYS ran UAV why? Because the UAV will help me reach other kill streaks higher not only has that it helped my team win. But I guess most of you don't think this way, I do because I always play in a party of 6. I feel if you don’t want to show up on the mini map you should pay a HEAVY price because you most likely are a camper and you slow the game down while making it un enjoyable for everyone else, No one likes to be killed by someone sitting in a corner, The UAV speeds up the pace of the game. Ever play a game of HC it’s a freaking CAMP FEST, assassin noobs just need to go play hardcore there is no mini map and if you call in a UAV everyone has assassin you’ll be right at home, but of course they won’t do that why? Because assassin noobs are the biggest hypocrites in the game they tell you not to chase red dots when that is what they obviously do. I think it should be removed from the game to prevent camping and it’ll be even for everyone just like when they removed stopping power, if anyone doesn’t want to be seen on the radar use a strela, smaw, stinger or any other launcher.

tallowby

xTTh wrote:

I swear Assassin noobs always have the same lame excuse, use your eyes and not map, what is the big deal of appearing on the mini map? ...

...... I ALWAYS ran UAV why? Because the UAV will help me reach other kill streaks...

... Because assassin noobs are the biggest hypocrites in the game

Do I need to even comment......

Ok  I can't let it go... Why do you need a red dot to get more kills? Sounds noobish to me.  Is that the real reason for your rant? Is it really a camper that is messing with your game or the ninja using assasin getting you from behind and you are trying to blame it on some weak player hiding in a corner.

I swear Assassin noobs always have the same lame excuse, use your eyes and not map, what is the big deal of appearing on the mini map? Can you not get 3 kills of your own and call it even? I seriously wonder what these assassin scrubs run for kill streaks. I've been playing COD since COD4, obviously everyone ran UAV in COD 4 and WAW, when modern warfare came out you could select your own kill streaks but guess what? I ALWAYS ran UAV why? Because the UAV will help me reach other kill streaks higher not only has that it helped my team win. But I guess most of you don't think this way, I do because I always play in a party of 6. I feel if you don’t want to show up on the mini map you should pay a HEAVY price because you most likely are a camper and you slow the game down while making it un enjoyable for everyone else, No one likes to be killed by someone sitting in a corner, The UAV speeds up the pace of the game. Ever play a game of HC it’s a freaking CAMP FEST, assassin noobs just need to go play hardcore there is no mini map and if you call in a UAV everyone has assassin you’ll be right at home, but of course they won’t do that why? Because assassin noobs are the biggest hypocrites in the game they tell you not to chase red dots when that is what they obviously do. I think it should be removed from the game to prevent camping and it’ll be even for everyone just like when they removed stopping power, if anyone doesn’t want to be seen on the radar use a strela, smaw, stinger or any other launcher.

Most definately. Remember in Black Ops how in order to be invisible to motion sensors you needed the pro version of Hacker? Assassin comes with the advantages of Hacker pro- well, except for the hacking equipment part.

codbig_boss

No then uav would be overpowered. Recon pro counters assassin.

CUAV and EMP counters UAV, and of course Assassin. Recon does it's limited job and could be considered an Assassin counter of sorts, as could Recon Drone.

I'm really only asking people to look at this game objectively and try to picture it with Assassin disabled, and only for the sake of discussion. UAV and CUAV might then gain a more prominent role, EMP would become more of a game decider, and you may even start seeing merit in using thermal scopes and EMP grenades & such. Of course then YOU yourself would be totally open to all these tactics, and... I dunno, maybe that's what scares everyone -- they don't want a strategic tactical battle, they just want to run around and shoot people, and Assassin facilitates that.

Yeah it kinda makes sense to me now. Thanks for your opinions guys.

Assassine counters the half of the things in the game and the other red perks cannot compete at all. In short IT IS unbalanced

As much as I hate Assassin, things would become more IMBALANCED without it.

What they should've done is give one of its counters to a different perk such as Dead Silence.

mdm123456789

Life would be better without UAV and HUD. Get rid of them, there's no need for assassin and in turn, the game would be balanced in that area.

This game would be a lot better without perks. Why can I only run for 8 seconds per life? Why is there a minimap?

The minimap and perks annoy me.

Don't worry perks are watered down in BO2. If you really hate assassin so much, give ghost in BO2 a thought: immunity from radar when moving. Assassin does way too much, but you guys telling people who don't like assassin to stop chasing red dots aren't helping: I agree that chronic UAV usage is terrible, but being completely undetectable, then camping in a corner where you don't have the reaction time to react is just f***ing unacceptable. You cannot react to a guy sitting adsing in a goddamn corner because you're dead by the time you notice him, turn to shoot, ADS yourself. That can take up to .5 seconds, where as the guy already in ADS has .25 seconds to pull the goddamn trigger and instakill you.

Move sometime, watching a doorway is not a fun way to play.

Datura

Heavy UAV spam, Portable Radar spam and playing against organised parties spamming the above in pub lobbies makes Assassin the logical choice for a many. Personally the only red dots worth chasing are the ones brought up by the Recon Drone for obvious reasons. There's too much cover in MW3 to actually chase intermittant red dot "blips" brought up by the UAV. UAV red dots I consider as a warning rather than something to chase. Perhaps this is why I don't mind Assassin users in MW3 or Ghost users in BO.