18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 9:40 AM by barneykiller RSS

The Sad Truth

barneykiller

So I was wondering if the lag compesation really was noticable, so I tried Wireless and my first game I could tell by hardly any lag. (Before this I was wired) While playing on wired the only thing different was the amount of bullshit that was happening on my screen was more frequent than on wireless. Lesson Learned: Use wireless if you can and go back to wired on any other game.

• Re: The Sad Truth
    cee_time_62

SORRY TO BURST YOUR THEORY MATE BUT IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT CONNECTION YOU USE (WIRED/WIRELESS)THE LAG IN THIS GAME GETS WORST EVERYDAY

barneykiller

Well I tested it. There is a significant difference.

cee_time_62

I WAS PLAYING FOR A NUMBER OF HOURS TODAY HITMARKERS EVERYWHERE AND OHK's AND I AM USING WIRELESS I HAVE EVEN USED WIRED CONNECTION AND GUESS WHAT HITMARKERS ETC............ YOU YOURSELF MIGHT THINK THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BUT SORRY I BEG TO DIFFER

NOT TRYING TO CAUSE ANY ARGUMENTS HERE BUT IF THAT WAS THE CASE WITH WIRELESS THEN NONE OF US WOULD BE COMPLAINING ABOUT LAG LAG LAG AND MORE LAG

barneykiller

Don't know

cee_time_62

LUCKY FOR YOU THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN INTO A COUPLE OF LAG FREE LOBBIES

1 CAN ONLY DREAM

sdredger

i played a game today for a laugh really as my internet connection is pretty poor at the moment due to maintenance in my area, at first was unplayable (never done speed test at this point)it was wired connection and i pay for 60Mbps boradband,

i ran speedtest on my underperforming broadband using the wireless function and it came in as around  15 Mbps Download and 0.5Mbps upload...

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2194302460.png[/IMG][/URL]

this was probably the best game ive had in a long time -> it didnt feel laggy at all (i still played pretty poorly lol)

i then had 2 games in chaos mode, the first was fine and played as usual, the second game i was hosting, and was terrible and unplayable.

i used to have roughly 55 Mbps down and 5Mbps Up an the game was a lottery,

it appears to me that the worse your connection is running, the better the gaming experience(based only on my personal experience today)

(unless you manage to pull host)

cee_time_62

sdredger wrote:

it appears to me that the worse your connection is running, the better the gaming experience(based only on my personal experience today)

(unless you manage to pull host)

SPOT ON MATE SOMETIMES I JUST WISH I COULD GO BACK TO A 28/56K MODEM

WHAT REALLY DOES PUZZLE ME IS WHAT SORT OF CONNECTIONS THESE PPL HAVE ESP THOSE WITH 1 RED BAR/2YELLOW BARS

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2194358534.png

sdredger

yeah i know what you mean,

how can they only have the 1 bar?

another thing that maybe worth noting is that when i pressed select to check the scoreboard i noticed that everyone had only 3 bars (other than the usual one person with 1 bar)

seems a little weird, to me at least

(on positive note, after looking at some of the new things on BLOPS2, i am actually gonna order it.... i think... initially i was gonna pick it up pre owned)

cee_time_62

THE 1 THING I HAVE NOTICED THAT THOSE WITH 1 RED BAR WILL SUDDENLY HAVE 3 GREEN BARS AT THE END OF THE MATCH HOW CAN THIS BE............ I'M NOT SAYING THERE CHEATING BUT IT DOES SEEM STRANGE

_Orvidor_

Yup, lad is horrendous today .. Can't tell if players are cheating or have the lag advantage .. I report them just the same .. Still abusing game advantages as far as I can tell .. Obviously, Activision doesn't care about it or they would have fixed it .. Guess that wasn't brought up on appreciation day ...

Thinking about buying CS .. Only 15 bucks and from what I can tell, no lag - well none except for the other platform ... And as far as I'm concerned, looks good on them .. Just looking at reviews and some vids of the online gameplay .. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like MW3, but no lag, I think that's a trade off I can live with .. It is cross-platform however .. I will let ya know ..

doobie0626

ive seen your guys post about internet speeds and they dont even come close to mine. am i on a different scale? im usually running 40 down and 7-8 up.

http://speedtest.net/result/2194810867.png

but i still have all the problems that are described, so i dont think its isp related but cod related.

sdredger

my point was that when my internet was screwed up yesterday, with tiny up and down speeds, i didnt experience any problems, the game ran brilliant (for me at least)

other than when i hosted chaos mode game..

my usual 60 down 5ish up makes the game play differently, and makes me mad lol.

thats why i cut down on my cod playing. lol.

While I love the game I detest the lag compensation idea. In theory we should all benefit, in reality, those of us with good connection suffer badly. I am sick and tired of paying out good money for my internet only to be penalised for it by those with shitty internet sapping mine

At least Black Ops was honest - you could usually see the lag, in MW3 it's hidden and only noticed when you go watch that killcam. How many times have you put a whole clip into someone for them to turn around and kill you with one bullet? How many times have you watched the killcam to see you haven't even started shooting?

It's not going to be fixed at this stage and I doubted it ever would. We aren't going to see a real improvement until cloud gaming appears with PS4 and no matter what the cost, I will be using it.

sennalike

When I stick my personal laptop on, work laptop on and Mrs laptop on, the internet and try to play on my PS3 it is unplayable.  So the theory of "the worse your connection, the better the match" doesn't fit everybody.

I guess (but I am not sure) that it's your ping which makes the game/the server give you "more or less lag compensation" .. not your bandwidth. Adding more computers on your network mainly affect your bandwitdh, whereas switching from wire to wireless has an impact on your ping too due to the wifi protocol.

barneykiller

It worked for me so i don't get this game.