11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 5:59 PM by Eye_Gore RSS

How does IW in good conscience sell this game?

Snotnose

I suspect like most of you, I bought this game for the online segment.  I've been playing online for prolly 15 years now.  I've dealt with lag, it happens.  MW3 tried to fix lag issues, which is commendable.  But, based on both my experience and these forums, they royally screwed the pooch.  I have never had as bad an online experience as I have with MW3.  The crappy thing is, when the game works it's hella fun!   When it's bad, it's still fun but frustrating.

I don't understand why, after a year of trying, they don't just rip out the lag compensation code and stuff the MW2 code in.  I left MW2 due to cheaters, lag was never an issue.

Will this cost them sales?  For sure.  No way am I buying BOPS2 until it's been out a few months and the forums are free of lag whining.  And I mean 100% free.  I don't trust IW after this abominable block of poor network code.

• Re: How does IW in good conscience sell this game?
    Izjar11

I have never had as bad an online experience as I have with MW3.  The crappy thing is, when the game works it's hella fun!   When it's bad, it's still fun but frustrating.

Both your explanations are very true, when the game decides to work its fun, when things are going from bad to worse the game goes quickly to bad to worse.

Will this cost them sales?  For sure    

I thing that if treyarch fails in BOPS2 then IW will soon follow. I believe they need to replace that IW team or find a new developer. Then again no one really mentions the other side of the tale, who is sledgehammer. And how much a responsibility do they have towards the overall lag failure?

SLEDGEHAMMER what have you done for this game?

ghamorra

Let's be honest here, the game is awesome when it works right. Sadly I rarely experience flawless online play. In fact I don't even play the game much anymore because of how bad it is. But there was a point in time, although brief, that the game worked beautifully and look forward to Black Ops II being able to provide that experience consistently

infinity ward and treyarch are 2 totally different companies.... one makes the modern warfare series and the other makes the black ops series. so saying that ur not gonna but BLOPS2 because of MW3 is completely retarded and stupid. they have nothing to do with eachother when it comes to lag and support, theyre both made by totally different companies. so u can go on not trusting infinity ward, but black ops 2 has absolutely nothing to do with infinity ward. youd just be missing out on a good game by waiting. everyone knows infinity ward is garbage.

MW3 is my first "online" multiplayers FPS experience (I've played a lot of LAN games in the past but it's another story) and to be honnest I really enjoyed it, despite some bad games where I had been continuously killed with one bullet or behind a wall 30 seconds after I hid myself.

Just a comment : everybody is saying that a new fail on CoD multiplayer quality from Activisation (in BLOPS 2) will result on CoD series death .. but is it really the truth ? What is the percentage of people buying CoD which actually play only the campain and don't care about multiplayer ? 90% ? 80% ? or maybe less (I really don't know). Which would mean that Activision will still have a huge amount of buyers even if all multiplayers have gone.  

rlbl

very, very true

As well, the portion of the total CoD community which are represented by the forum members (those who share knowledge and observations) is very low.

As a result, John Q. Public who does not know there is a problem will happily go playing not realizing there is room for improvement.

Maybe there is something to that...

Adam: "We need clothes"

God: "Who told you that you were naked!?"

(sorry for the religious analogy)

rlbl

Snotnose wrote:

The crappy thing is, when the game works it's hella fun!   When it's bad, it's still fun but frustrating.

I would argue that the game barely ever worked.  When you are doing "good" and seemingly beating on others, they are screaming they got screwed by lag.  It is a greener grass thing...

I agree. I won't even buy BO2 until after a few months. I am sure that there will be loads of technical difficulties on that game.  I remember with BO1, there was a big problem with the bullets. Shots were lagged by a lot, and the connection was horrible. COD is the only game I encounter that with. I hope they can fix this.

DaShuk2381

Doesn't matter that BLOPS and MW are made by two different companies, the lag is horrible on both of them. I tried to go back to BLOPS here a week or so ago because I finally got tired of MW3 being the most frustrating game ever and guess what, the lag is still present in BLOPS, almost as bad as MW3. It doesn't matter what they do, there is going to be lag. They know that they have all their fan boy sheep lined up to buy the game regardless so they will just collect their millions and then laugh all the way to the bank while giving you a broken game.

Snotnose

I wasn't aware that 2 different companies made MW and BO.  Howsomever, it sounds like BO1 has the same lag issues MW3 does.

And yeah, I did suspect that when the game was going good for me it was going not so good for others.   MW3 seems to be a zero sum game: if you're having a good experience then someone else is having a bad one.  This is sad.

Jackal235

When it comes to money, it doesn't really matter, who makes the next cod game SledgeHammer or Treyarch. IW as the franchise owner, scoops most of the profits.

They didn't care about the hacks in MW2, they did nothing about the lag in MW3.

I mean enough is enough, boycoting BO2 is the only way to be noticed.

Eye_Gore

The problem is, will this ever be fixed? Will you ever play in real time? The short answer, no. Problem? Many. In my opinion they keep adding more and more stuff. Alot of stuff is being recorded, stats, videos, Elite stuff, clan ops stuff, challenges, etc... All this stuff has got to clog up the pipes. you can only fit so much into a drain pipe, it gets overloaded it backs up.

Look at the games as we have prgressed through the COD franchise vs how bad the lag has gotten.

Start with COD 4, hardly any lag, atleast on my end. The game had preset kill streaks, no theater, no clan ops, no Elite. It did not record stats like this game  does.

WAW, well I didn't really get into it very much, so I can not comment on that one.

MW2, little bit of lag, not bad though, but noticable at times. Titles and emblems started in, as did selectable killstreaks. Lag started here with this game.Gun cammo was added in.  Also more people started playing it, so more people online.

Black Ops. More lag, biggest changes, theater mode and now customizable emblems. More stats are now being recorded. Who cares about how many barrels of oil has been exploded or how much of a country's GDP has been spent, useless stats being recorded and displayed. More gun camo, and now customizable characters. Lag as bad as I have seen it to this game.

MW3, Lag, well you know. Biggest change the introduction of Elite, more stats being recorded to transfer and display online. Clan Ops, also a new feature. More game modes. Pipes are now being clogged up, where's the Drano? More people than ever playing the franchise.

Black Ops 2. Well if the old saying holds true as history repeating itself. I feel bad for the people who keep feeding the cow. Biggest changes to enter COD yet. Good luck folks.