1 486 487 488 489 490 Previous Next 6,020 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 12:07 AM by kastro187420 Go to original post RSS
  • 4,870. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    pulling69

teanah wrote:

roachoutro wrote:

ETA on "Lag Comp" patch?

So here's the thing; there isn't just ONE solution for lag compensation. It's a complex situation that deals with matchmaking and we are continually making tweaks. We are especially keeping an eye on multiplayer and making adjustments where we can. I believe that last update was a week or two ago when we changed how folks entered matches for PS3. But this conversation won't end with one post; stay tuned.

Thanks for answering that question is such a clear  manner....Again, has the patch you guys (GHANDI and "cummunity team") mentioned numerous times been submitted yet, and if not what would that estimated date be? Is it really that hard to answer directly?

PS According to the fix notes and I belive GHANDI the last PS3 update had NOTHING to do with anything other than th 24/7 playlist weekend:

Title Update 22

Support for 24/7 playlists

• 4,871. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    teanah

pulling69 wrote:

teanah wrote:

roachoutro wrote:

ETA on "Lag Comp" patch?

So here's the thing; there isn't just ONE solution for lag compensation. It's a complex situation that deals with matchmaking and we are continually making tweaks. We are especially keeping an eye on multiplayer and making adjustments where we can. I believe that last update was a week or two ago when we changed how folks entered matches for PS3. But this conversation won't end with one post; stay tuned.

Thanks for answering that question is such a clear  manner....Again, has the patch you guys (GHANDI and "cummunity team") mentioned numerous times been submitted yet, and if not what would that estimated date be? Is it really that hard to answer directly?

PS According to the fix notes and I belive GHANDI the last PS3 update had NOTHING to do with anything other than th 24/7 playlist weekend:

Title Update 22

I can't recall why, I don't think the guys wanted us to detail the backend fixes for that particular patch. But there's another tweak coming either this week or next. I'll ask the multiplayer guy to confirm

• 4,872. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    pulling69

teanah wrote:

pulling69 wrote:

teanah wrote:

roachoutro wrote:

ETA on "Lag Comp" patch?

Title Update 22

I can't recall why, I don't think the guys wanted us to detail the backend fixes for that particular patch. But there's another tweak coming either this week or next. I'll ask the multiplayer guy to confirm

Wait...So now you are saying TU 22 for PS3 actually was more than just 24/7 playlist stuff? I would like to thank Activision and IW for their upfront honesty in this matter

PS Can I make a guess as to why? They thought it would fix something and it didn't have the intended results(as usual)? Can't piss anyone off if they don't know it happened in the first place...Just more epicness in the ongoing sage of my money being grabbed by MW3.

• 4,873. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    teanah

pulling69 wrote:

Wait...So now you are saying TU 22 for PS3 actually was more than just 24/7 playlist stuff? I would like to thank Activision and IW for their upfront honesty in this matter

Just being real; also I'll let you all know when I find out about the next Lag Comp tweak

• 4,874. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    teanah

Also, say hi to Ghandi because he's watching the forums even though he isn't posting

• 4,875. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    trialstardragon

Actually yes it is up to the developers to decide how their game should be played. For it is their game and if they feel the game should be fair across differenet latency's that is their choice to try and make it so. Just because you pay more for your connection does not mean you are entitled to a better game than those that does not pay more. Online games are not like cars. trying to compare them is not really smart, since online games do not ever use the full bandwidth of the connection and never have. So paying for a larger connection does not gurantee you a better game ever on consoles. It is those that think it should and then when it does not go changing their connections to get the advantage again that screw up matchmaking and lag comp more then those that do not.

You can not accurately compare online game play to offline real world purchases like cars or houses or cable television packages. To try and do so is just not smart thinking and will only lead to frustration when it does not work out the way you think it should.

It is the right of every game developer to try and make the game as fair and balanced for all players that wish to try and play the game not just for those that pay the most for internet. Paying for more internet does not make you speical online when playing a game.

Online in a game you are no more speical than anyone else playing that same game. So do not derserve any special or preferential treatment in how the game plays for you.

• 4,876. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    trialstardragon

Some people may choose to move locations but others should not be forced to just to play a game online so taht those that choose to get a better game. It is as plain and simple as that. No game developer on conosole games will ever risk alienating part of the playerbase by putting too high requirements on connection speed or latency to play the game.

Plus overall bandwidth means nothing, it is latency that controls how well the game works. Not if you have a 10-20-30-50 DL. Those speeds mean nothing since the game will never use that bandwidth. At most the game uses about 1mb for the client if even that much when not host of download speed. And that is all it uses ever. And not everyone is ever going to want to be host so no they are not going to want to pay more just to be host.

And you do not need to have those kinds of speeds to get low latency. You can get low latency connections on slower speeds depending upon the isp that you have and the quailty of the equipment they use to provide the connection from their office to your home. So paying for a higher DL speed is not needed and is only helpful when watching movies or downloading large files, such as application instalations. In fact it is not even really needed to listen to music online and not have it jump or skip.

the problem this game has is how it chooses hosts and then matches players against that host when adding them to a lobby. I have been chosen host many times when on my dsl with only a 3downd and not even 1up and I should not be. So it is the host selection that causses many of the problems in the game. Not the lag compensation itself.

Then the nexst problem is the fact it will match players form across the world against each other, I played HCDom last night and had several players from Italy in the lobby I was in. I live in the Central US. with my connection it should never have matched me up to them yet it did and I was host some of the time for I was stuck 2 barring and that only happens when either the host is in another country or I am the host.

So it is the matchmaking and host selection that is really the problem and not the lag compensation and sync issues that cause the most problems in this game.

I normally get 3 bars very rare to get 4 because of I generally have a 100-150 ping. I can easily adjust my playstyle for those numbers. I am used to it. I do not go and get upset or mad about not having a 4 bar connection since those bars really mean nothing when it is your ping that matters more. my packet loss is generally 0% with low jitter my isp rates at a C to some servers and a B to those closer to me. with a D to those across the country or out of country.

If matchmaking worked correctly and matched me up only against those in the US and not on oppostie sided of the country my games would have no problems at all. For when i get in games like those the game works flawlessly for me and everyone in the lobby even when I am host. Go figure on that one.

• 4,877. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    Ss78_

I never mentioned anything about speed m8. I chose the lowest available 50/50 as 100 isn't worth it and they'll be upgrading in the near future to 500 and that's when I'll give it an upgrade.

I posted my last ping test in this thread at 5ms as I know fine well it's a combination of upload and ping that could get me picked as host and in turn their broken lag compensation makes me cannon fodder for people like yourself with sub standard high latency connections.

Try putting yourself in our shoes for once and think what it would be like to know you have a decent connection that can provide multiple pots of decent games for everyone and yet we get punished for it.

Matchmaking and lag compensation need fixed that's why they are in the first post of this thread as the devs do know this but just haven't managed to find a stable/acceptable fix.

Hi ghandi and thanks for the update tea'nah. I look forward to the fix so I can play cod again even if it doesn't please everyone at least you'll have tried right?

• 4,878. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    t-fibby

trialstardragon wrote:

Actually yes it is up to the developers to decide how their game should be played. For it is their game and if they feel the game should be fair across differenet latency's that is their choice to try and make it so. Just because you pay more for your connection does not mean you are entitled to a better game than those that does not pay more. Online games are not like cars. trying to compare them is not really smart, since online games do not ever use the full bandwidth of the connection and never have. So paying for a larger connection does not gurantee you a better game ever on consoles. It is those that think it should and then when it does not go changing their connections to get the advantage again that screw up matchmaking and lag comp more then those that do not.

You can not accurately compare online game play to offline real world purchases like cars or houses or cable television packages. To try and do so is just not smart thinking and will only lead to frustration when it does not work out the way you think it should.

It is the right of every game developer to try and make the game as fair and balanced for all players that wish to try and play the game not just for those that pay the most for internet. Paying for more internet does not make you speical online when playing a game.

Online in a game you are no more speical than anyone else playing that same game. So do not derserve any special or preferential treatment in how the game plays for you.

You keep on repeating this you are not special BS over and over again, and also fail to realise that nobody here is asking to be special and not asking to have an advantage over everyone else because they pay for a good connection. They are asking not to be screwed over by people with lesser connections thanks to the crappy matmaking and lag compensation. There was nothing wrong with the old slight host advantage, the attempts to make it balanced for everyone has failed now in 2 consecutive titles of CoD and resulted in countless of threads on the forums and never ending raging and frustration.

Earlier titles had a slight host advantage up until BO which changed the system, that was good because it was only one person in the lobby and usually that meant a good experience for all because the host would have a really good connection.And the host was not by any means untouchable. That also encourages people to get better connections, and the more good connections there are in the player pool, the better and balanced the exprerience for all. The current system puts you a full second or even 2 behind the laggy bastards when it is at it's worst, and that is not a balanced experience. The people with poor connections are being treated as special, and we are not asking to flip the switch the other way around, we just simply want it to be like it was before. And that meant that having a good connection improved your chances of having a good experience, host or not. And there was no special treatment for anyone.

Now it's the other way around, the more you spend the more you suffer, and laggy connections are being catered. Maybe you should finally realise that you are being a complete jerk here by making these statements that no one should be treated as special, because that's exactly what's happening now to you and everyone else playing on their poor connections. And that is what the community wants to get rid off.

And i personally think that since there is no way to guarantee a balanced experience for all when you put the guy with the most laggy stolen wifi connection together with someone playing on a properly configurated fios for example, there should be a limit on the latency and jitter of the line so that you are no longer allowed to get online if you have a really poor connection, because that will just ruin the experience for everyone else. In nearly any online games you would also have a terrible experience playing on the extremely poor connection because it will be out of sync, if ti's a shooter you  usually cannot kill anything, the game stutters etc, but MW3 does a good job masking this severe lagging where it can look and feel smooth on 2 bar which would have been horrible in the older titles such as MW2 and CoD4.

Mostikely you will keep on replying even after this with similar posts than before and fail to get the point, so you are either trolling, defending your advantageous situation where you can get cheap kills and rack up moabs with your laggy connection, or simply stupid enough to see past your own narrow minded opinion that goes against everyone elses on this thread.

• 4,879. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Title Update and Hot Fix Discussion
    kastro187420

trialstardragon wrote:

Yes, developers can TRY to balance latency and connections, but as MW3 is proving, it simply does not work. You simply cannot "balance" a connection.

We're in agreement that what you pay, should not make you special in an online game. The problem is, you're only applying that logic to one side of the coin. Paying more shouldn't make you special, but likewise, paying LESS shouldn't make you special either. And currently, that is how it is at the moment. If you pay less, you get the advantage because everyone else gets brought down to your level it seems.

There's a reason why, even 10 months into the game, they're STILL trying to tweak the lag comp settings. That's because it doesn't work to try and "balance" two people's connections.