21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 4:05 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

Trying something new? Or staying in your comfort zone?

nicedrewishfela

So been watching the threads for a while now,  and there is one thing that is undeniable: CoD players can't agree on anything.

The more I think about it... I think that is what draws us back to the game again and again, in spite of all of its flaws and drawbacks. The game offers something for everyone, as diverse as we are.

I don't think I have ever seen the community agree completely on any subject. Bring up ghost in Black Ops 2 and some people will tell you its ruined while others will just as vehemently tell you that it is going to make the game better. Mention camping or quickscoping.. actually on second hand.. please don't. We know how impassioned the arguments for both of those subjects are.

But I think that is what makes CoD great. There is something for everyone. Beyond cheating/boosting/hacking... there is no right or wrong way to play the game. There are multiple ways to enjoy the game, and it seems like no two people see the game the same way. We can't even agree on what makes a "good" or a "bad" player.

One thing that somewhat baffles me is when I see people cling so hard to one particular playstyle. I see people talking about how they love to camp and do it all the time. I see others talk about how they are run and gunners and never sit still during a game. Nothing wrong with sticking with one style, I suppose... but I guess it baffles me because I enjoy playing multiple ways. There are times where I have to take a more defensive or "campy" approach, other times in which I find run and gunning to be more effective, and mostly switch between the two as the demands of the match call for. For me, it keeps the game fresh.

So my question to our good forum community is this... We know how you HAVE played this game in the past... but are you going to continue to play the same in the upcoming title? Is there anything new you are looking forward to trying that will be somewhat out of your comfort zone? Are you planning on using the new CaC system to develop a new playstyle that you couldn't achieve before? Are you willing to get out of your comfort zone in this new title and try some new things just for fun... or are you too worried about the impact it will have on your stats?

Looking forward to some positive discussion. Happy gaming all.

• Re: Trying something new? Or staying in your comfort zone?

Honestly with the new Pick 10, imma be trying out a whole lot more things.

I'm so used to having attatchments and perks as their own thing, but now I can sacrifice one for the other, and it's gonna make think, "Do I really need a silencer or red dot, or do I want an extra perk or two?" Things like that.

Plus, I've never finished a game's prestiges. I never felt the need to. But now that you need to reach the max prestige to unlock everything, I feel like I have the motivation to go all the way.

That5What5Up

I think you know exactly how im going to play this game OP

mdub

I would say that the most encouraging part of BO2, is the ability to reset stats after any prestige. I would like to think that it will help the stat oriented players, relax and have some fun. Try something new! If you get hammered... reset and try again.

Hopefully this helps to see things, from a different point of view.

eX_sniperzz

I will try anything really, so I'm definately going to try many different things

D3adlyg0d

I'm sure we will all try new things to try and fnd the best set up per objective.  I know I don't use the same set up per map or per objective.  I'm very comfortable with burst weapons so i def want to try new gun set up wioth different bursts.

cwatz

Just as people have different opinions on certain guns/perks and so forth, people have different ways they like to play.

Many people stick to their bread and butter setup because they want the best stats they can get (for example in BO I strictly ran ghost/Soh/SC with a silenced assault rifle for the entire life of the game).

Other people like to mix it up more (Early into mw3, I started playing around with shotguns and other things I hadn't touched before.  Half because I was bored with my typical setups, and half because MW3 was HORRIBLE and I tried to make it fun).

Everyone has their reasons for why they play what they play.

vims1990

For Black Ops 2, I'll be changing how I play COD when it comes to weapon & perk usage.

In the past, I've avoided using so much of a certain weapon or perk when it is considered "overpowered" or "overused" so I restrict myself to not using a weapon/perk because it's considered cheap.

However in Black Ops 2 & beyond, I've decided to use whatever I want even if it is frowned upon the community.

I've come to realise that the community should not be telling what I can or cannot use because at the end of the day, it is my money that I have spent on the game.

This doesn't mean I'll restrict myself to using the popular weapons & perks or will I avoid using the underused weapons/perks however it won't stop me from using whatever I want to use.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I realized that a long time ago and now their rage feeds me. There's nothing more satisfying when the person you just killed rages on the weapon you used to kill him. Apparently, there's a portion of the community who believes that the weapon is the one to blame and not the skill of the person wielding it.

vims1990

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

I realized that a long time ago and now their rage feeds me. There's nothing more satisfying when the person you just killed rages on the weapon you used to kill him. Apparently, there's a portion of the community who believes that the weapon is the one to blame and not the skill of the person wielding it.

Personally, it really isn't so much about the weapon or skill but I get sick of players dictating on what I can or cannot use in the game.

There are weapons that are statistically better however I'm just going to use whatever I want.

People can hate on me for using it however they can be hypocrites whenever I have a quick look at their combat record/COD Elite weapon usage.

Back in Black Ops, I got hatemail when I used the 74u in one match and did well. Checked the opposing players combat record and approx 80% of his total kills was with the 74u.

nicedrewishfela

Well put. I think, however, that sometimes I feel like it gets too easy with a certain weapon and switch to something else. You and I both know if something is too easy, a large chunk of the community is going to use it.

It really is up to the Devs to create a balance and maintain it so that this doesn't happen. It seems every game there is a "God" gun...

As much as I loved W@W, I can't deny it was frustrating that an MP40 could kill from any range at any time versus any weapon. . It also got old dying to it... even in hardcore I would get Hitmarkers on an enemy with any other weapon only to get turned on by that player and killed with one bullet from his MP40.

I think Black Ops was better about that. I can only speak from a Hardcore perspective, and yes some guns were weaker, but I never experienced the Famas issues core players had.

If they balance the weapons well, there won't be any technically "OP" weapons. Some guns are just going to be easier to use.. that will always be the case I suppose.

Ss78_

Yeah I'm going to try and not back out of games where I think the connection is ruining my gameplay. Try and get the most stealth class setup I can find for those situations. One reason for this is the league play so I hope it's as challenging as it can be. Another reason is it's became a bad habit in mw3.

It doesn't matter what other game I play nothing gets the heart pumping like cod does for me. Only a few weeks to go now.

GhettoGhetti

I'm at least going to look into select fire. <- Being one of the reasons I like certain other titles/games.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I had a great great run with MW3. The game literally ran great except for a period when I suffered rubberbanding that magically disappeared after a few weeks. I will be using my tried and tested set-ups and I still plan to play nothing but Core TDM. I would like to try Domination but I'm a bit OCD with capturing the flags and I noticed that a lot of my random team mates only has an average of 1 or 2 caps at most, per game. I'm a slayer by nature but I'm a suicide bomber when it comes to Domination.

I will be using the most potent primary weapons. I would not carry a secondary, a lethal or a tactical and load up on perks instead. I will play the way I played MW3 and I will be mixing run and gun with a bit of camping when needed. I have learned so much from MW3 and I do hope to continue getting better and better even though I'm a lazy gamer.

The only difference on BO2 that I plan to change is my killstreak setup. I would like to try the Lodestar, Dogs, and Swarm trio instead of my MW3 combo of Pred, Chopper, and Reaper/AH6.

nicedrewishfela

Taking your advice and trying a Low Lag monitor.. got an Asus that was rated pretty high in the research I did for gaming on XBox.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Is it the ASUS VH236H? I do hope it will bring a change to your gameplay and I do hope it will lessen the BS deaths you're getting. You're a decent player based on what I saw on Elite and I believe that without the BS deaths, you would have done a lot better and you may even have liked MW3.

Before your new gaming monitor comes in, I suggest you try playing some MW3 on your 3D TV and then make the switch. In that way, you'll see the huge difference in input lag.

nicedrewishfela

That is the exact model. Low priced but highly rated.

Will definitely give it a try, looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference. It honestly wouldn't shock me if it did. I was doing great on MW3 before I moved and got this TV. On my old, smaller Vizio I was having a lot of success, when I started playing on this new TV it took me weeks before I could get my aim back. Totally destroyed my stats being stubborn and trying over and over again to get used to it. Even after I did, my results were inconsistent. I would have an amazing game, then play the exact same way the next game and have terrible results.

Appreciate the input, will let you know how it works out!