41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 5:09 AM by olly7187 RSS

Quickscoping's back and even more obnoxious than in MW3 (This going to get gimped)

Treize

Just had my first interaction with a quick scoper and it was most unpleasent to get the drop on someone, lay in at least 3 hit markers, and then drop dead because they're abusing auto aim (And it clearly shows in the kill cam too)  He went 3-1 in K/D to boot.

So is there a chance quick scoping will be gimped like it was in Black Ops where you it took some effort to do, or has all the baby cries from Black Ops made Treyarch abandon the issue?

• Re: Quickscoping's back and even more obnoxious than in MW3 (This going to get gimped)
    ghorman

QS is pretty cheap, I hope they address it but it looks like they are pushing for it. Why force traditional snipers to move if they use ghost and why have a laser attachment for hip firing on the snipers?

• Re: Quickscoping's back and even more obnoxious than in MW3 (This going to get gimped)
    blarkw

I sure hope QS ends up like the first black ops. It is really stupid as is.

The only one crying here is you.

I QS from time to time and I can assure you that it's harder to do on BOps2 than in MW3.

It's fine as is.

The people complaining about qs haven't tried it in bo2. It they had they would know how much more difficult it is. And it's not like I can sit back and snipe anymore due to uav's and the anti camp ghost.

In short - NO it will not be removed. Treyarc are trying to break into cybergaming - and have recognised that there is a fine art to quickscoping.

First of all - QS is possible but is nowhere near as easy  as it was in the modern warfare series. 3arc have made it require a fair bit of skill and timing.

As you cannot have fast ADS with a sniper rifle the shooter has about a second or more to raise thier gun - there is no perk or quickdraw handle to alter this - try it yourself. Auto-Aim has no bearing and does not help this either. It is not easy and does not provide cheap kills.

The orignal black-ops gimping of sniper rifles caused a massive outcry and it would be a terrible shame if it returned to that- and it was not even about the ability to quickscope, 3arc's absolute castration of sniping as a whole made any form of sniping irritating and unfair when compared to the ease of other gun archetypes. Considering a sniper rifle by definition is a precision weapon capable of accuracy between 600-1000 meters - you couldn't hit the back of a barn with them from 100 feet. Snipers should have been completely removed as they had no useful place in the game - even after the "fix" patch.

Any FPS game where you can drop someone from accross the map with an SMG - but seriously struggle to hit a target with a sniper is a massively distorted version of reality. That was black-ops in a nutshell and things should never return to that.

Just because the casual gaming community lacks the initiative to stop trying to face snipers in long range gun battles which they are supposed to lose doesn't call for a nerf. Flank them and get close enough so that you kill them before they can shoot - that is the proper counter.

TheMadDuc

Quick scoping ruined this game. But I guess that's the direction the developers decided to go with this franchise, so there's no way I'll buy the next Call of Duty. Another thing that sucks is people just going for kills in the objective games. I'm not sure how they can fix that, but something needs to be done.

sneed867

QS is not that bad in this game, the very very few people i have ran into doing it were pretty damn good anyway, just how QS should be, not as easy as MW3, where the last month before BO2 came out there would be at least 5 Qs in every lobby.

the only times i recall running into a team of QS is playing HQ, one game against Optic, obviously not their best team, as we made them quit (i always play with a team of 6) and last night against 4 people who rolled us in HQ, and one of them had a diamond camo sniper rifle, yes, diamond

so if you are good enough to go +20 with a diamond camo SR, by all means QS away, you sir are better than most at this game

I don't agree with all the pro quickscoping ragers on here.

I would say it's about the same as MW3. I have practiced it in private matches, and you can still drag shot glitch like crazy. It's just silly.

They should simply make a game mode for quickscopers, and nerf it in the regular matches, because its unrealistic, and silly.

I can do it, but I choose not to, because its for newbs.

I have thought the same thing many times,quick scoping is a game exploit,game exploits are supposed to get patched!! Yes there are allot of people who enjoy doing it so a separate game mode for these people would balance the game more for everyone else.

Weapons are supposed to be balanced eg.

Shotgun=High power,Medium Mobility,Slow fire rate,Low range

SMG=Low power,High mobility,High fire rate,medium range

But then you get snipers

Snipers=High power,medium mobility,Fire as fast as you can pull the trigger with minimal recoil,Looong range,AND a game exploit that alows you to effectively use it as a shotgun with a target lock feature.

lol at all the morons on here saying qsing is a fine art skill!! what a load of rubbish it took me 2 MINUTES to learn how to do it just to see if it could be done fine art skill my ass...what qsing really is, is a tool for gimps who cant play properly to get easy cheap kills to get there kd ratio up!! haha any idiot who says otherwise is just that, a complete and utter tool of an idiot....my 4 year old nephew can qs for christ sake get lost with the it takes skill bullsh*t it should be removed it just enables little kids and try hards.

Lol at crybabies who can't snipe so moan about those that can.

I play on PC and quick scope just fine. Guess what - no aim assist. What's the excuse now? I'm hacking? lol

If you're close range with a smg and you don't win a gun fight with a sniper in this game then he out played you. Simple maths states:

Ballista scope in time 0.37 seconds

Average SMG time to kill 0.18 seconds

That means you can kill twice as fast with a SMG as it takes a sniper just to get his scope up.

Like it or not, if you're getting owned by quick scopers in this game. You suck at the game.

Its not about being able to snipe.

It's about dragging a scope across a player and firing and getting one shot kills.

I can do it, anyone can do it with a little practice, but its for try hards.

I include the pros who do it in that statement as well, although I know game exploits have been around since forever. And using them to win has always been key.

xtlc2003

Yeah it's not cheating but it's definetly NOT sniping either. Sniping is pearching and picking off an enemy at a distance, QS is NOT sniping. And your SMG comparison is incomplete at best if not wrong because you can't just use the ADS speed as a variable, you have to look at hit damage, fire rate etc. An average SMG even at close range is a 3 shot kill (4 shot on many) so coupled with the ADS and on average you're looking at an equal if not longer required time for a kill compared to the Ballista (stats would help because honestly I don't have any). Coupled further with the aim assist (which again unless the Kill Cam is wrong often has a One Hit ONe Kill about 6" off the shoulder, NOT even hitting the target) and it takes less skill to kill the moving target with the Ballista than the SMG

Now there is a higher learning curve to QS as opposed to ADS with an SMG I'll give you that but once you get past it then it becomes deadly unbalanced because the SMG, Assault Rifle, LMG, etc. all have other factors such as recoil that no amount of skill will remove, it can be controled but never removed. The One Shot One Kill with a QS has no draw backs once the initial slightly higher learning curve is mastered.

Do I like to QS, yeah it's fun being in a QS match with my kids, we have a blast but I won't use it in player match because it is an unfair exploit. Again I won't call it cheating because it is obviously not but it is definitely unbalanced.

Read my post again where i said

"Ballista scope in time 0.37 seconds

Average SMG time to kill 0.18 seconds "

I didn't compare the ADS time of the sniper with the ADS time of an SMG. I compared the ADS time of a sniper (i.e the time it takes to quick scope) with the "time to kill" of an SMG. This is the multiplcation of bullet damage and fire rate assuming you are on target. It's worth noting that the scorpion can actually kill in 0.16 seconds in close range!

Also, to those that cry about aim assist. This argument is irrelevant for three reasons.

1:Aim assist on snipers is removed from hipfire in this game (there is no longer an assist in lining up your shot) it is only present when scoped in.

2: ALL guns have aim assist on console anyway, but the other guns have hipfire aim assist aswell.

3: NO guns have aim assist on PC and the same arguments occur.

What do I mean by that? I mean that SMGs are just has over powered on PC as they are on console, and quick scoping is just as moaned about on PC as it is on console. WITH or WITHOUT aim assist. Therefore it's irrelevant.

Also you say:

"The One Shot One Kill with a QS has no draw backs once the initial slightly higher learning curve is mastered."

What about the massive drawback of missing your shot, or hitting a leg or not the upper chest and the resulting hitmarker giving the other guy  three quarters of a mag to fill you with and you having no defense?

Also, FYI the KSG with quickdraw is a much easier quick scope option in close range than ANY sniper rifle in this game!

Agreed with your points entirely.

In response to peoples concerns about autoaim, it just cannot be exploited like it could in the MW2 days - and to believe that it can is wrong.

Auto-aim while present is way more subtle than with other weapons, and is in fact more a hinderance than a help.

auto-aim with snipers is way different than it is for any other gun - in fact the auto-aim messes up sniping entirely.. it does not auto-lock onto the nearest enemy and follow them like with any hip-firing weapon. It trails way too far behind an enemy to be of any use, as sniping often requires leading a target, which is why I disable it.

When Aiming down sight with multiple targets the auto-aim gets completely confused and can pull away from your intended target and get stuck in between.

I have seen maybe one person who has been really successful with quick scoping so far.

I find that it is a shame that using a sniper rifle as it was originally designed and intended to be used is frowned upon in the call of duty community.  People reward such foolish behavior like QSing and complain about the sniper that actually snipes.  No soldier in their right mind would run down an alley in the middle of a warzone with a bolt action 5 round magazine sniper rifle unless they had a death wish.

QS is just for the guys who like to flex their e-peens.

This was a very similar issue in Counter-Strike 1.5, AWP much?...QS did require a bit of skill but it wasn't anything that the average player couldn't accomplish...

on the other hand...It did nothing else than piss people off, especially when then hit-markers are way off.

They fixed it in 1.6, you couldn't swap your weapon as fast and you couldn't scope in and out as fast anymore, all the elitest QQed, like myself but in the end it was needed, the idea of some guy running around with a Sniper killing people at point blank range or randomly aiming was not realistic at all....

In the end QS is something CoD adopted from Counter-Strike and similar old-school FPS, but those issues where taken care of,  in some leagues they didn't even allow players to snipe with the AWP at all. Treyarc should really learn from mistakes made in FPS way before their time...

Personally I hate the qs, but feel most of the problems with all the guns could be sorted if the debs got out of the office spoke to professional soldiers and used a few guns. I can imagine the next game where a sniper is knocked on his arse with lead flying to the heavens because the shear power of the gun forbids this movie style qs bs. But then broken colour bones from a miss placed shotgun and 4 quick shells fired, and then ou have assault and smg rapid fire 30 rounds with a 20cm grouping, and the fantastic 6round grenade launcher fired so fast from the hip, the game isn't made to be realistic and is only to make money and that is best done with it made as easy as possible and the players ability to make it playable and varied. 

If the next Call of Duty game has massive open maps, realistic weapons ballistics and is something more akin to Battlefield in the way of realism then I am all for sniper rifles losing the QS'ing and becoming a wholly sniping weapon...

The thing is though that COD is a fast paced arcade style shooter at heart, none of the gun's are realistic - they are "authentic" to the established ideas of what gun's actually do but do not behave as they would in reality. The maps are too small for actual sniping - and therefore sniper rifles have to be made useable somehow...

If you nerf sniper rifles, there will just be another equally unrealistic or overpowered weapon to take it's place.

Shotguns are becoming the Quickshot weapon of choice in the really close quarters maps which make up a fair chunk of the multiplayer.

KSG with long barrel has a ridiculous range, and is way more forgiving to those with an innacurate aim than any of the bolt action snipers which require an upper chest or headshot to one hit kill.

Agreed. And whilst not going too off topic here, I think you raise a good point about the map design forcing snipers into a quick scoping role.

When I think back to MW2, and I think how I enjoyed maps like wasteland, afghan, estate, quarry etc etc.They all had areas of close quarters combat and large open areas of long lines of sight. The average map size was sooo much bigger than the average map size in BO2. Scrapyard was considered a especially small map but nearly all the maps in BO2 are that size!

I seriously don't know what's happened to the map design in the last few CoD's. It's almost like they are running out of memory or something with all the extra (uneccesary) features they are putting in the game, so they have shrunk the maps to accomodate. I think this makes it more frustraing for people who enjoying sniping in Call of Duty.

If it's not a sniper map... Don't bring a sniper. People should not be running around using a Sniper like a shotgun with more range. It's ruining the game.