1 2 3 4 Previous Next 137 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 4:09 PM by ddogie Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

You must understand that all Uni pipelines have rather strict QOS applied that makes P2P unbelievably slow to prevent the whole uni hitting torrents and clogging the lines. You do know how this relates specifically to packets for online gaming don't you? Ask your nice IT staff.

• 11. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

In 265 ms can you quit complaining, shut up, and stop complaining about a lag that is unnoticable to the human eye? The bullets only register in 60 FPS, it takes longer to put out those frames than 265 ms. Which means if you shoot first and are on target it wouldn't matter about the lag you would still get the kill.

• 12. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

xPsYcHo wrote:

In 265 ms can you quit complaining, shut up, and stop complaining about a lag that is unnoticable to the human eye? The bullets only register in 60 FPS, it takes longer to put out those frames than 265 ms. Which means if you shoot first and are on target it wouldn't matter about the lag you would still get the kill.

While the op brings couple of errouneous facts, this also is one. Human average reaction time is quicker then 265 ms. Notice i even said average, some people can have reaction time as low as 130 ms, while others have over 250.

Having played alot of online fps, i can tell you on pc i can tell the difference beteween a 90ms and 30ms. Because its not my own reaction time, its actually the reaction time of the game. Meaning its actually added to your own reaction time, say your natural reaction time average is 180 ms, at 90 youll react to things at 270ms. You will instantly notice the difference as it is slower the when you did the action.

Look at these flat screen, always trying to get lower ms response times? 2 ms, 5 ms, 8 ms. Those are noticable to the human eye/body, because its not tied to your own responsiveness its added to it. Old light bulb screen, do not have delay. Humans can do the difference.

Its also a mistake to speak about the game frame rate, human eye and bullets registration. The server doesent actually run at the speed of your screen, its a totally unrelated thing. I have a pc screen running at 120hz and game running at 120fps, i can def tell the difference betwen my most standard 60hz screen. But the fact is weapon registration in a game is unrelated to the image speed, servers run trick rates at their own speed regardless of the frame rates players get. BO probably run a standard speed for most fps, 75 tick rate or more. Meaning the server actually refresh 75 time per seconds, ask for your xbox and give your xbox informations at that speed, 60 frame per second is the display, but its not the actual speed of the registration.

• 13. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

That is what I was trying to say.... The server runs slower fail. If you still fire first, you still don't get the kill. It wouldn't matter whether your connection is faster. bo2 has a 60 fps frame rate, but probably a tiny bit less because of the p2p connection. Also, look up human reaction time, it is impossible to tell anything over 35 fps. if you would look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBsgtA8WSE you can't even tell the difference. So no matter how laggy your connection is, the servers still run at their own, seperate, constant speed, so your lag would have no effect.

• 14. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay
    adw1983

I suffered from extreme lag for two games, turned off, raged...

(As seen in the second post in this topic)

Then I got 4 hours of lag-free ownage.

Those 4 hours alone made my SMR KD ratio go up with about +0.30.

SMR KD is at 1.63 after 800 laggy kills and now 300 non-laggy kills, but my average these past 4 hours have been 2.5 or more with the SMR.

My god.
    I LOVE this game when it doesn't desynch!

• 15. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

xPsYcHo wrote:

That is what I was trying to say.... The server runs slower fail. If you still fire first, you still don't get the kill. It wouldn't matter whether your connection is faster. bo2 has a 60 fps frame rate, but probably a tiny bit less because of the p2p connection. Also, look up human reaction time, it is impossible to tell anything over 35 fps. if you would look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBsgtA8WSE you can't even tell the difference. So no matter how laggy your connection is, the servers still run at their own, seperate, constant speed, so your lag would have no effect.

Again you arent understanding anything. Yes its definitively possible to tell anything over 35 fps, infact eyes have no known limits of image per second, human eyes dont even follow this screen standard of image per second, they are way more complex then that, there is different zone of focuses as well. Those are scientific fact you can look up.

PS: wanna know why you cant tell the difference in that video? Its a single video. Both image are on the same video, FPS means frame per second, both side are actually rendered in the same video at the same frame rate. Thats a big fail, because they are both rendered togheter, meaning they are both at 35 fps lol. Even if they were both recorded seperatly at 35 and 60 fps, once they got fused togheter and rendered they are both 35 fps. A video is a collection of frames (pictures), since both the 35 pictures per second and 60 pictures of second where fuzed into a single video, they become the same pictures, they both run at 35 pictures per second.

You also do not understand lag. I will explain again, first remove the idea that your screen speed matter or the frame rate the game render its visual. That is not important. The server ask for information to your xbox and give your xbox information 75 time every seconds, same for everyone else xbox. Thats when your ping comes into play. If you ping 250 and your enemy 30 to the server, everytime information is shared, yours take 250 ms to get to the server or back to your xbox, the other player with 30 ping takes only 30ms. The player with 30 ms always see things ahead and if you both fire at the same time(in real time, not the picture you see ingame), 30ms will always win because the server will get the reply from that person first.(thats without ping compensation) This is what we call lag.

I have 14 years of pc fps experience, literally if you had 250 ping in unreal tournament and your enemy had 30, you had to lead your shots 3 inch or more off their player model to hit them with hit scan, 30 ping dead on shot worked. As i explained your ms is noticable because its not reaction time, its additional to your reaction times. Your reaction time is when you first press the trigger as you see an enemy, human reaction times are known to be as low as 130 ms and as high as 300 ms, thats the time it takes you to press your fire button. But once your pressed it if you ping 250, it will take an additional 250ms to actually fire, that is something humans will notice as it is actually slower then your reaction time, you reacted at 180 ms yet the gameplay reaction was 430 ms.

You need to do some research on reaction times, also look up eye funtionality, there is no clear cut set frame per second in eyes. Its much, much more complex then any screen or camera we ever made. If you wanna test your eye with fps download the program called fraps, its free trial. Load a pc game up, you can then select the fps at which you would like to record a video. You will notice the difference betwen 29,30,35,60 that are in the options as while you record fraps will cap your frames to match the recording. Start recording at the desired speed and notice the image speed difference changing in front of your eyes. What you will notice is a major loss in fluidity in the movement of the image the lower you go, say your game ran 120fps native with a 120hz screen, the drop in fluidity will be massive to your eye when you drop them down to 60fps and even more massive at 30 fps. Again do the test live for yourself and youll see. Also looking up actual eye study will enlight you to the fact human eyes just arent even concered with those recording standard, we have complex focusal areas and patterns that just arent present in cameras.

• 16. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

If you are in a typical cowboy standoff, and you have a bullet delay of 0.265 seconds - you'd notice and complain. It is NOT reaction time, it is ADDED to reaction time. After you have reacted and fired your bullets, the game then has its own reaction time.

Your reaction time + reaction time of game > their reaction time = death.

• 17. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

265ms is crazy.

I remember getting perma banned from a PC fps for having a ping of 90.

• 18. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay

Hahaha, that video is stupid. You can't show the difference between 60fps and 30fps in the same video. I think Youtube vids are locked to 30fps anyway? Anyway the point is, you can tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps, and the same when you increase over 60fps e.g. 120fps

I've gamed on a PC for years, it is very easy to tell.

• 19. Re: Lag compensation video in action with calculations - 265ms delay
    WolfRidge

There's a reason why they demonstrate these games Pre-Launch on LANS, No LAG = No LAG compensation.

Can you imagine Treyarch at Gamescom showing the community, gameplay on the NET!

The problem for developers is the games are fine on a LAN, but the NET has so many variables to consider and this LAG comp just makes it worse in my opinion.

ps Nothing wrong with Cisco Cert's I've got some (ccna,ccnp) Still the thread was a little over my head, but a good one

1 2 3 4 Previous Next