11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 8:38 PM by youngkyle1 RSS

Future of call of duty

UnratedxX

This isn’t a rant or hate on BO2 but more of a look toward the future of duty. I have a feeling I am in the minority with this but does anyone else not like the maps? All maps seem about the same with nothing but different aesthetics to them. They are all short-medium range with very small elevation changes and no good vantage points. Assault and sniper rifles are practically useless. I get that the developers did this on purpose to prevent camping but are these the kind of maps everyone likes?

First off I do not promote camping, but I think there are two types. Some campers sit in a corner with all the radar tech and wait for a passerby. Other camping is more of a strategic camping or holding a small area. These spots are usually vantage points that offer good lines and partial control over the map. I personally like the maps set up in this way. If you get upset when someone camping (of either type) kills you what is the first thing you do? You want to go back and kill them. Since they don’t move much that should be easy and the struggle over the vantage point begins. I find these personal battles and fighting over key spots to be the best part of duty, win or lose. 

I mix up my playing styles, sometimes I play this way other times I’m constantly on the move. Either way I don’t like how the maps are designed for you to run around like you’re a chicken with your head cut off. I don’t like constantly being on high alert and having to check 3 to 6 entry ways of every room or area I walk in.

I think the maps should be more like they were in call of duty 1,2,4, WaW and MW 2. For anyone who doesn’t know brecourt/wasteland and carentan/chinatown were in three of these games. A few of the mw1 maps were available in mw2. And terminal won every map vote in mw3. Why the trend? Because they’re great maps. Since then BO1, MW3, and BO2 have done all they can to eliminate the “camping” play style.

Suggested adjustments: Focus on designing maps like they were and fixing the lag; or “what I see is not what you see,” this is why you get killed when you’ve already made it to cover. I believe this became really noticeable in mw2 and has existed ever since. Anyone feel the same way?

Ps don’t tell me to stop playing because I still like all CODs and I will still buy them

• Re: Future of call of duty
    starbuckfrack

http://community.callofduty.com/message/205579314#205579314

I think even this post would fall under that category

I can't see it having a future.......still people will buy the next one even after the disgusting debacle that is happening now.

People are constantly saying " oh the next game will be so much better..."

It's easy to say but I new there would be problems.

I have said it before but there is a fantastic game trying to get out!

I want more MW2 style maps. They felt so smooth and free and amazing.

I was an expert rusher, nukes all the time with lightweight marathon P90. So the maps being larger with more open sights and high and low vantage points was not a problem for rushing.

Another nice thing about MW2 maps were that they had a huge variety of maps, including close quarters maps, and larger maps with good flank routes. I hope IW's next game has maps more like MW2. And black ops 2 maps are the definition of poor design.

Tick7

youngkyle1 wrote:

I want more MW2 style maps. They felt so smooth and free and amazing.

I was an expert rusher, nukes all the time with lightweight marathon P90. So the maps being larger with more open sights and high and low vantage points was not a problem for rushing.

Another nice thing about MW2 maps were that they had a huge variety of maps, including close quarters maps, and larger maps with good flank routes. I hope IW's next game has maps more like MW2. And black ops 2 maps are the definition of poor design.

By design, I think the MW2 maps were probably amongst the best we've seen.

There may be a few maps out of CoD 4 that could be thrown into that category as well, but certainly I think MW2 map design was the pinnacle.

They can't go back to that map design anymore.

Why?

Because the community. Hell, imagine a map like Estate or Wasteland now? What about Rundown? Those maps would be absolutely horrible now with the way that the community plays this game. So much of the map design now is focused almost exclusively on limiting the ability of the camper to post up on long lines of sight and mow people down.

That's why you are seeing tighter, more congested maps. As much as it sucks, at the end of the day I want maps that are both fun and fast paced, which is why I'm in favor of a lot of the Black Ops 2 map designs. Some of the classic MW2 maps will no longer deliver fun, fast paced action anymore.

Hell - go play Terminal on MW3 for a little while for a perfect example of a once superb map that gets ruined byt he way the community plays it.

/rant

UnratedxX

I've played it on mw3. I agree people run around too much, which sadly I think also discourages teamwork in a way. But I still love the map because of its layout. Maps make or break it for me generally, I'm yet to actually be excited about which map I end up playing in BO2. Estate was fun because it was all about the house. If the other team had it taken over nothing says your team has to try to claim it, but people did because its a challenge. "I didn't get that guy this time but I will next time." Same with wasteland (brecourt was much better) because the bunkers were insane while other had sniping battles going on outside and other gunners trying to sneak behind those snipers.

People ran around a lot in mw2 via ump45 . The old maps are still fast paced if you want them to be, especially the small ones since they're designed that way. I had many times when I liked to run around, others when I liked to just walk, and others when I stayed at the vantage points. Every potential snipers map in the old games had areas to run n gun on. Or alternatively, every map had areas where snipers could be mixed into the play. Newer maps, especially in BO2, it's very obvious where they put in an obstacle or offset the pathway to diminish any potential sniping spot. There is no balance or mix of play.

Instead now everyone is partially forced to play like that. If the community wants it the thought is this..."That sniper or gunner has killed me 3 times in a row, instead of finding an alternative approach or outsmarting him to take him out, I want his spot taken away" = newer maps

Map design is so important MW2 maps were super, Bailout was a cracker as was wasteland.

Putting Terminal into MW3 in my opinion was a mistake as people played it in a different way.

Who knows what the future of COD is.

Alun1

Tick7 wrote:

There may be a few maps out of CoD 4 that could be thrown into that category as well, but certainly I think MW2 map design was the pinnacle.

They can't go back to that map design anymore.

Why?

Because the community. Hell, imagine a map like Estate or Wasteland now? What about Rundown? Those maps would be absolutely horrible now with the way that the community plays this game. So much of the map design now is focused almost exclusively on limiting the ability of the camper to post up on long lines of sight and mow people down.

Hell - go play Terminal on MW3 for a little while for a perfect example of a once superb map that gets ruined byt he way the community plays it.

MW2 is what gave us this "Camper" style community because of the nuke killstreak. COD4 was the pinnacle of game design for FPS. it all went to sh*t from there.

True, after Black ops 1 came out, campers were 1000x worse than ever. I agree people will camp more now if the maps were more like Mw2 maps... But I'd like to see some nice maps again. I don't care if someone camps, as long as I don't feel claustrophobic in and forced into the same routes over and over in small/flat maps.

redflag0809

just like any community played game, the original intend is distorted by the fanatics. If cod wants to maintain dominance they need to cater to all abillity levels.. through this i think they can reopen their maps and let the game be played as it should be played. run and gun seems to be the style that the majority is playing (unless of course you play strickly with your clan). myself, i am a solo gunner..and not an extremely talented one either. i am quite tired of gettin 1 kill per 3 or 4 deaths. if cod could somehow divide the levels of players it would have a fighting chance at staying on the top