24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2012 2:29 AM by ehSnax RSS

So, what side of lag compensation are you on?

Title says it all. Since I started this thread, which may or may not degenerate into a flame war, I'll go first. I, sadly, have a decent enough Internet connection(running 6.5mb down and 1.0 mb up) that I consistently have 4 bars and no lag(on my end at least). Which sucks to hell, how backwards is that? However, last night I was blessed with a match where I was one of the ones with 3 bars of connection. it was like becoming a demigod. The only things that killed me were scorestreaks.

So, what about you guys? What's your experience with the lag compensation of this game?

P.S. I find it kinda funny, and I find it kinda sad, that I'm consistently having more fun posting and lurking on a $60 game's forums than actually playing the game itself. Just my 2 cents.

• Re: So, what side of lag compensation are you on?

5mb dwn 1mb up, always get 3 bars and im getting raped! cant even win a gun fight unless I shoot at them when there not looking!

undzis

5mb is actualy a pretty bad connection.  most cable companys across the U.S. start at 30mb. and go.up.

SitRepPro

undzis wrote:

5mb is actualy a pretty bad connection.  most cable companys across the U.S. start at 30mb. and go.up.

No it's not.  For gaming the most you would need is 1Mb down and may be 512k up.  Packet loss and latency are important aspects to consider.  However, having a line that has high upload bandwidth just increases your chances of hosting, well, it did in MW3.

SitRepPro

undzis wrote:

Sometimes I check their profiles to see where they are from.  I do better with lobbies that have gamers from own country, regardless of their stats, than some foreign gamers.  Bit annoying being behind because I use LMGs and often I'm shot by someone using a shotgun and I raise my gun but the killcam shows I didn't.  Hopefully it will improve, MW3 did for me so here's hoping...

blarkw

why have they done what they've done with the lag? Why not run it like it was on Black Ops? There it was fine,

I dont understand what the problem is, since MW3 had lag compensation en theirs didnt cause lag! For my part i dont lag in any call of duty game except on this one and I hope they fix it soon since i paid for the hardened version -_____-

I run 100mb dl and 30mb ul and its hell.

In a 50-50 at medium range as both pop out from a corner I regularly die within .1 of a second.

Lag compensation should makes things equal, there is not a single player on this forum who could counter the compensation advantage others are given. E.g no one on here could aim and shoot and kill within that timeframe.

If they ever want this to be competitive as a esport on console it needs to be removed.

Competitive players like me will nearly always pay the extra for a good connection - and they should.

crosby85

I am on  a 30mb connection in the UK, I have set my search peramiters to best and yet I am still always on the bad side of the lag compensation ( I always have a 4 bar connection aswell).
      Just as an example yesterday I was playing TDM on Meltdown, I had set up a position where I was head glitching and aiming down sights at an exit to the silo as I could see a few enemies were making there way through it yet despite this as soon as the enemy appeared on my screen I died.... what needs to be looked at is how this is possible as I know if it had been the otherway round even if they were on the radar i would not be able to aim at there head in the milisecond that I exited the doorway and fire enough shots while compensating for any sway/recoil I may encounter to kill the guy before he pulls his trigger when he is already aiming at me!
      I am a very competitive person and this is not something I would consider as fair, every now and again I get a game where there is no lag compensation (for me at least) and ill go a respectable 25:5 K.D in a game but 90% of the time it will be the other way around. Dont get me wrong there are definately better players than me out there but this lag comp makes the game un-playable.
      In previous COD games I had a bad connection and therefore my average K:D was about a 1.5 but decided to find a better internet provider and now I have a great connection (for UK at least) yet despite this my current K.D is 1.05. I know that I should be winning at least 8 out of 10 gun battles I enter as I dont just run around the corner with out aiming and also checking radar. THIS NEEDS FIXING!
    roachoutro

I am on the bad side of "lag comp". Just like i was in Mw3. Dont buy this game.

80% Bad  BUT i still do well  20 For 10

20% Like a CODDING GOD 20 For 2

parnezzi

about 14Mb down and 5Mb up.

and even on a 3 bar i get the bad side of lag comp, im on a wireless modem too...

First post, here goes.

Im an Xbox player havnt been on live a great while.

Now i feel like I should have a moan about this issue. Im on the bad side. 8/10 Its far too inconsistant for it to be me.

Now my internet is not great. 2 down 0.4 up. My connection is ASDL interleaved. (Not ideal)

32ms ping return to google.com. A UK server.

56ms ping to 95.130.8.4. A French server.

mill is 10^-3. Essentially as millimeter is to meter. So 1ms is 1/1000th of a second.

thus if im playing against a guy from france he should be no more then 0.044 seconds infront of me in terms of the lag comp.

I used to play counter strike source at quite a high level. My reaction time was on average measured by reviewing a league play game 0.16 seconds. This was a few years ago but i dont see it changing much. (Top end quake player in my younger years and a top 30 in the uk CSS player)

The mp7 has a fire rate of 900 round per minuite at continous rate. Takes 4? bullets to kill someone. or 0.26 seconds from when the trigger is pulled.

So i see someone front france. Hes 0.044 seconds infront of me (excluding processing time) I have a reaction time of 0.16 seconds. it takes me 0.26 seconds to fire 4 bullets. Thats 0.464 seconds from the point of when I first see them.

Boom we start the gun fight I seem to get a shot off quicker then him. I get 3 shots in before he gets one off. Boom I`m dead.

On his screen I only fired a single shot. Meaning I`m 0.195 seconds behind him in the scheme of things with all things equal. Ive ignored processing time as that would balence out on either side really. Or should do.

All these players who are the dogs danglies Im getting close on being confident that they are from germany, Italy, space yada yada before i look at thier profiles.

r8edtripx

I have a 20 down and 1 up with an average ping of about 30. I'll tell you, sometimes I'm on the good side of lag and sometimes I'm on the crappy side. From what I've read, the only number that matters is your ping to the host.

If your host is close by, and your ping is lower than most people in that particular match, then you're going to be on the good side, if not then you get bullets in the face.

"You can only be as good as lag will allow you to be." I don't remember where I read this, but I say this to myself when I find myself on the crappy side of lag and I start getting frustrated.

IXxCheFxXI

I'm smack right in the middle.. I DMZed my Ps3 and gave it a static Ip to see if I could get somewhat of an advantage.. I'll say about 70% of my games now are more playable then before. Not DMZing my ps3 made my games 60% playable.. I still back out of some of my games not as bad as before.

I have a Connection speed of 20Mbps Down and about 2Mbps up with a ping around 15 - 55ms depending on the server ( on Speedtest, geeksquad and xfinity speedtest )..

I for one am not buying the DLC ( unless the game runs better ) and just will hang on to Blackops 2 just for zombies ( the maps that came with the game ) after I get sick of Prestiging which will be in a month or two.. I'm already on my 2nd and don't see myself getting past the 5th or 6th prestige..

The game has it's fun moments but there is still to much lag comp, bugs, & bad hit detection going around for me to keep enjoying this game..

COD4 MW is still the best COD in my honest opinion I had a blast playing it.. But I can say I didn't spend any of my money on this game, it was a gift from my GF and even she starting to hate it by playing it and watching me..

**To 3arc and activision: I'm not going to spend $89.95 a month for a business plan to play a video game plus an extra $14.99 a month for the static IP address.. That is an extra $50.00 a month just to play a video game I'll just not buy the game and save my self the cash for another game that works..Just saying.. **

35mbs down

10mbs up

20ms ping

Around no jitter

3-bars killing me

Still lagging

All ports forwarded

Static I.P

Intellistream: ON

7/896k non interleaved DSL with low ping and ZERO jitter.

30% unplayable lag, 30% playable lag, 35% fair/good, 5% I'm superman!

Unplayable matches are ALWAYS solid 4 bar matches! Playable/fair matches I'm usually bouncing between 3 and 4. Solid 3 bar usually = me slaughtering everyone. My friends claim about the same. I'm usually a 1.8-2.0 gamer online, higher in person at LAN events and I'm only maintaining a 1.25 in this game.

AMBQ

Lag comp works in favor of the people with bad connections, hence its called compensation. The crappier the connection the better you will be in this game since everyone else with goond connections will have their bullets lagged down to your level and by that time you have already killed them and their bullets/tubes/rockets have vanished into thin air. So when you are shooting people well before they even pull their gun up to shoot you and you die even though you put 5+ bullets into them its cause you have the better connection and you got lagcomped. This is the worst CoD game for lag comp ever, it's way to powerful and pretty much makes all that money you pay on good internet pointless since people with dial-up crap on you.

50Mbps down, 3Mbps up, average ping 9ms (server ~100 miles away). I haven't noticed any lag compensation whatsoever. There's some regular ol' lag, which doesnt really bother me, but I never experience what other people complain about (playing better when on a crap connection).