9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 9:32 AM by ChaotikSpraya86 RSS

Activision/Infinity Ward need to adopt a zero tolerance policy for multiplayer

Activision and Infinity Ward need to adopt a zero tolerance policy for multiplayer for all formats. Giving cheaters/boosters three offenses is way too much. After the first time they should be console banned. Cheaters never learn and will continue to cheat killing everyone elses's stats by running up their kill streaks. I would of won two matches of S&D but lost because the last player on the opposite team was using auto-sticking aim. Watching the kill cam his gun "locked on" to my torso then to my head in a rapid jerk and back to my torso in an unnatural movement. I texted him over PSN and he said he wasn't cheating. After enough prodding, he finally admitted he was cheating after I told him I reported him to iwenforcers twitter feed. This goes to the auto reload or secondary switching that prevents others from shooting when near the person.

These type of actions need to be console banned. Gamers know the rules before they logging on to multiplayer, and if broken once, expect a console ban immediately. Immediate console bans after first offense will provide stricter enforcement and stronger deterrent preventing other users stats from being ruined.

An in-game detection system should be implemented monitoring every user. If a cheat or hack is detected it will immediately kick them from the game and console ban them. A system analogous to a virus scan should be developed and scan the game play if unnatural movements/exploits are detected. If detected, the user is kicked and console banned preventing the user from boosting his or her stats and saving others from utter destruction.

Activision and Infinity Ward should create a database full of cheats like auto-aim, sticky aim, infinite UAV, and other hacks and have an in-game monitoring system detecting for these cheats (as aforementioned). If detected, the user is immediately kicked and console banned. Even watch youtube videos to see how gamers are cheating and download thier links to the database.

This in-game monitoring system/virus scan system should detect for external devices such as flash drives where people will download the cheats to in order to run them during the game play. If a flash drive is detected the online multiplayer won't log the user on until removed.

Lastly, implement a system that prevents people from using another PS3 to cheat from after being console banned on another. The internet service provider and any other PS3 hooked up to the same internet should also be banned preventing further cheating on a new system.

• Re: Activision/Infinity Ward need to adopt a zero tolerance policy for multiplayer

i agree with you on this matter.although i think that any cheater,hacker or booster should not be console banned but ip banned instead.console ban is not a big deal for many hackers and they can just buy used consoles very cheap and would continue to do so.only way to come back to gaming online would be to move house.not sure if changing broadband suppliers would cause a ip ban to be affected so hackers would need to move house.if anyone is willing to move house just to continue gaming then they have a serious addiction and should seek advice on this.but seriously an ip ban is the best solution even for minor cheating because they are breaking terms of service and this is well within activisions right to do so.if they dont have the right too the network providers like psn and xbl do have.yes i have read the terms of service aggrement that most gamers fail to read.all game developers have the right to monitor code of conduct breaches and so should be able to pass this on to network providers to insure a ip ban is carried out.i hope we see ip bans come to be the most common form of ban handed out to these people who clearly have no right to continue to use the online services.

• Re: Activision/Infinity Ward need to adopt a zero tolerance policy for multiplayer

btw i actually havent come accross any hackers since making the move to ps3 so this may just be an xbox360 issue.although i see boosters all the time (basicaly hackers without the balls to actually hack) lol.one thing to reduce boosting is to remove that guest feature as that is by far the worst thing i have seen added to the cod franchise.also any gme mode that is not a team based gamemode of atleast 6v6 should be no parties allowed like ffa and mercenary are.also the report a player feature should stay as this is good to help assist them in banning these bad gamers who need hacks to play good.whether this actually works well idk but it atleast makes me feel like im helping the community every time i report a booster cheater or hacker even if it really does nothing lol

Yeah I agree. Console and IP ban. Most people will use the same internet service provider if one of the consoles is banned, but if the ISP was banned as well it would make it difficult to cheat.

Zero tolerance policy would also make it much difficult to cheat with an ISP/Console ban. For the PS3 I haven't seen any hackers or boosters yet since I only play S&D and Domination.

Three offenses makes cheaters prolong thier cheating habits because it takes time to verify, which could take months if not to half a year for the first offense. Immediate ban would end it right there and everyone elses stats will not be ruined waiting for verification.

Every match of domination I enter has at least 5-6 cheaters using sticky/auto aim and other cheats like switching my gun to secondary or auto reload preventing me from shooting.

Do people from Activision or Infinity Ward play MW3 for the PS3 to understand what were dealing with? If you want banhammer to be effective you have to ban on a zero tolerance policy.

I just bought this game last week and I have come to the conclusion that the multiplayer is just as bad as MW2 for the PS3. Not as much for the hacking, but for the cheating. Cheaters never learn and will continue to cheat. 

wow i  have seen some rediculous hacks in my time but ones that actually affect your own character are new to me.if i had someone switch my weapon for me or make me reload so i cant shoot them i would take my disc out of my ps3 and burn it then i would never buy a single cod again.people using hacks to help them aim is one thing but for someone to take control of me while playing,screw that i aint no puppet.that would instantly kill my love for cod.i would go sa far as to track this person down buy a plane ticket and go to their house and punch them in the face.im sure the feeling i would get for doing that would make me forget the time and money spent tracking them down and traveling to their home

I have come across multiple people using this cheat, not as much as auto aim or sticky aim which I find irritating, but it happens. I noticed it on MW2 and Black Ops. Even members of my own team that has the cheat my gun will switch or auto reload when near them. Black Ops I have seen it starting to infiltrate the game. I just picked up MW3 last week and the thing is full of cheaters. Every person is cheating except a handful of people. Infinity Ward and Activision needs to step up banhammer and ban people after their first offense. It takes too long to verify. They need to create a new patch. I don't care if they take the game off the servers for two weeks to implement a new system because its current system is broken. I want to play with other players who play without cheating. If Infinity Ward is banning 1,500 people per day they need a new system. Cheaters don't care if they are caught because they tell me when I message them over PSN. If they don't care then they shoud't care they get banned after the first offense. They also need to lose all thier emblems and titles as well to really get back at them. Many people buy the game because of the online play. I bought it because of the online play and I am severely disappointed with the dearth of enforcement. I am glad I only got it for $25 on Black Friday and not paying the retail price of $60. I don't want to buy a game for $60 to play with cheaters. If I want to play with cheaters and hackers I will play MW2. People from Infinity Ward and Activision need to take the game down until it finds a new system to implement or a new patch. COD community will understand.  

frats74

If a player is Console Banned, that player will never buy another COD game again. The developer and publisher will take a financial hit.

Profile Bans also happen but the player just creates a new Profile to use.

With regards to an IP Ban, that can be a legal issue nightmare. Sometimes, there are more than one player in one household. Even if the players have two or more separate consoles, if the IP address gets banned, all players get banned from playing, which includes those that have nothing to do or have any knowledge of why the IP address is banned. That can be a profit loss as well as legal costs ranging from damages due to (but not limited to) emotional distress to the player or players affected, lawyer's fees and courts fees.

There are validities to all your arguements. However, it all comes down to the almighty dollar. Which is why the Banning Policy has its limits when it comes to durations. Even a 5,000 day ban is 13 years and 70 days. Which I'm sure by then, a next generation console would be out. But cheaters will be back buying the game, putting money in the developer's and publisher's collective pockets and bank accounts.

If a player gets console banned I disagree they will never buy a Call of Duty again. If they want to cheat there is always MW2. With profit sales every time they release a new game doesn't equate to financial loss even after banning people from MW3 and Black Ops II. People buy the game to cheat and most of them don't care if they get banned, as seen from the PSN messages I have sent to many people using auto/sticky aim and other various cheats, making my gun auto reload or switching  to secondary preventing me from shooting. They can still play the campaign. Online is a priveledge and not a right; just because you bought the game for $60.

That is why a console ban should be implemented after the first offense preventing people from making a new account; so they can continue to cheat. A person is not going to go out of thier way to buy three PS3s because they got console banned on the previous two, that is completly ludicrous and assinine. A waste of money to cheat in the game.

ISP bans will not be a legal nightmare. An ISP ban will only ban the players who want to log on to MW3. The console for that machine will be permanently banned, known for the cheating, but any other PS3 trying to use the same ISP will be blocked from making a connection, but not have their console banned. So they can take thier PS3 to another household and log on just fine to the servers. The console banned PS3 will no longer be able to log onto the servers/multiplayer anywhere else.

The same issue arises when people download torrents/illegally downloaded music/movies online. The company will send a letter to the ISP telling the resident to stop thier aberrant behavior or legal action will take place. If some kid downoads a movie and gets caught his parents, who had nothig to do with it, will lose thier internet connection. Its just collateral damage, and yes, people who had nothing to do with it will feel the consequences. So don't engage in illegal or frowned upon behavior. Game companies could take the same approach. If they don't comply with the online standards, cheating will not be tolerated/hacking, and you will become blacklisted, known as a cheater/hacker throughout the gaming community. What gaming companies could also do is work out an agreement with Sony and have the console banned or even be banned from PSN. If you can't log onto the internet you can play multiplayer. 

Those are the actions that should be taken. It may sound extreme but the current policy in place is ineffective since every match I log into has everyone using auto/sticky aim. If IW has to ban 1,500 people per day then the issue is not being resolved. A greater deterrent needs to be implemented and banning after the first offense will send a stronger message to the gaming community that cheating will not be tolerated.

frats74

cpmryan wrote:

If a player gets console banned I disagree they will never buy a Call of Duty again.

Yeah. That's true. They'll just buy a new console.

cpmryan wrote:

If they want to cheat there is always MW2.

But not limited to MW2 and I don't understand why people would play an older game saturated with cheaters.

cpmryan wrote:

With profit sales every time they release a new game doesn't equate to financial loss even after banning people from MW3 and Black Ops II.

They find a way.

cpmryan wrote:

People buy the game to cheat and most of them don't care if they get banned, as seen from the PSN messages I have sent to many people using auto/sticky aim and other various cheats, making my gun auto reload or switching  to secondary preventing me from shooting. They can still play the campaign. Online is a priveledge and not a right; just because you bought the game for $60.

They're bluffing. In reality they really do care. It's a hassle having to buy a new console, new Xbox Live Gold, (N/A to PS3 Users) setting up new gamertags/PSN ID's, or use their old ones if they're not Profile Banned too, etc...

cpmryan wrote:

That is why a console ban should be implemented after the first offense preventing people from making a new account; so they can continue to cheat.

I would like for it to be that way too.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/consoleban

From what I understand a Console Ban does not prevent anyone from creating another account. What it does are:

1.) It makes the console unable to connect to the internet to perform a system update and software (game) updates.

2.) It prevents all users of Profiles on the console from accessing their files.

3.) It prevents the console from being used to create new profiles.

4.) Becasue access to profiles and creation of profiles are prohibited, progress on any game played on it cannot be saved.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2009/11/xbox-360-console-ban-is-irreversible/

cpmryan wrote:

A person is not going to go out of thier way to buy three PS3s because they got console banned on the previous two, that is completly ludicrous and assinine.

It's been done.

The Console that's been banned is sold on ebay or at Gamestop as used. Money from the transaction is used to buy a new, refurbished or used console at Gamestop or other stores like pawnshops.

See --> http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Video-Games-And/Banned-Xbox-360/5200075447

cpmryan wrote:

A waste of money to cheat in the game.

I agree. But cheaters are relentless. Playing a video game is like a drug and cheating is a psychological way for them to escape the real world. Just like crack heads will sell anything to get high, cheaters will pay to get their virtual fix.

cpmryan wrote:

ISP bans will not be a legal nightmare. An ISP ban will only ban the players who want to log on to MW3. The console for that machine will be permanently banned, known for the cheating, but any other PS3 trying to use the same ISP will be blocked from making a connection, but not have their console banned.

No.

If there are three PS3's in a house, and one has a Wall Hack and Aimbot, and all users play MW3 and an IP Ban was implemmented. Then, all PS3's wouln't be able to connect online to play MW3.

ie. If a street only has one way in and out and it was blocked off, everyone in that street wouldn't be able to go anywhere. 

Therefore, other PS3 users would be affected (MW3-wise). So, yes. It can be a legal nightmare. Why punish those who had nothing to do with being banned? Only the cheater should feel the consequences.

That's the same as punishing the whole family for what one person did; unjust.

cpmryan wrote:

So they can take thier PS3 to another household and log on just fine to the servers.

If you live in your house, why would you take your console somewhere else to play MW3? That would be like going to friend's house to use the bathroom when you should be able to do that in your own home.

cpmryan wrote:

The console banned PS3 will no longer be able to log onto the servers/multiplayer anywhere else.

Ditto.

But banning an IP address does not translate to Console Ban.

cpmryan wrote:

The same issue arises when people download torrents/illegally downloaded music/movies online. The company will send a letter to the ISP telling the resident to stop thier aberrant behavior or legal action will take place.

Yes, and at the same time, no.

Consoles and games are bought; they are physical. Torrents are virtual. They only exist in the internet. By themselves, they pose no threat. Once used, they download virtual intellectual properties. That's when the law comes in.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/15-year-old-facing-jail-time-for-downloading-2 4-movies-20110824/

http:/http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/11/minnesota-woman-songs-ill egally-downloaded/

Nobody has gone to jail for hacking a COD game or has paid a fine for doing so.

Let me clear some things since there might be some confusion.

ISP stands for Internet Service Provider ie. Verizon, Atlantic Broadband, etc...

IP address stands to Internet Protocol Address ie. 192.168.1.1, etc...

They are not one and the same.

You pay for internet service. If you're doing something illegal like downloading Torrents, your ISP can't do anything. That's the law's job.

Your IP address is unique but can be reset by toggling the power on and off. However, it's still your's. If Activision or Infinity Ward Bans an IP Address, anyone and everyone using that IP Address will not be able to connect to Xbox live or PSN for a specific game. In this case: MW3.

They [Activision and Infinity Ward] cannot ban your ISP.

cpmryan wrote:

If some kid downoads a movie and gets caught his parents, who had nothig to do with it, will lose thier internet connection. Its just collateral damage, and yes, people who had nothing to do with it will feel the consequences.

So, you have no problem seeing the innocent feel the consequences meant for the guilty? Collateral damage is a legal issue and is almost as bad as wrongful conviction.

cpmryan wrote:

So don't engage in illegal or frowned upon behavior.

I agree, but the innocent should not be punished. No one should be punished for someone else's mistake.

cpmryan wrote:

Game companies could take the same approach. If they don't comply with the online standards, cheating will not be tolerated/hacking, and you will become blacklisted, known as a cheater/hacker throughout the gaming community.

Hence, @IWenforcers, @ATVIAssist, @CallofDutyElite and email report@infinityward.com

cpmryan wrote:

What gaming companies could also do is work out an agreement with Sony and have the console banned or even be banned from PSN. If you can't log onto the internet you can play multiplayer.

Agree.

cpmryan wrote:

Those are the actions that should be taken. It may sound extreme but the current policy in place is ineffective since every match I log into has everyone using auto/sticky aim. If IW has to ban 1,500 people per day then the issue is not being resolved. A greater deterrent needs to be implemented and banning after the first offense will send a stronger message to the gaming community that cheating will not be tolerated.

I want cheaters gone too, but there has to be a better way to singularly target the cheater.

as i have come to understand activision makes a game a year and as soon as the new game is launched the previous one is left to the hackers.i found this with waw mw2 mw3.bo 1 i played like 1 day so i never saw hackers on that beta lol.activision care about 1 thing,money and since people including me are dumb enuogh to buy thier crappy products they wont bother fixing anything as we are showing them that it dont matter to us,they could release an 8bit version of cod and call it mw4 and still be the biggest selling product of the year.so they will continue to make crappy callofduty products till we stop buying them.so all they need do to maximise sales is sell things like hardend editions,give it slightly improved graphics,new 4 hour campaign and a few new toys to play with and thats it.i think its a good buisiness plan and clearly so do activision.the one thing you can be sure about with future call of duty games is that we will never be happy with them no matter what they do and im starting to realise my stupidity in thinking they will ever change.i will no longer buy a game from this franchise and with gta5 due out in the spring i wont feel i need too.I have payed rockstar much more than activision and its always been money well spent.rockstar and take two are the best the gaming world will ever see.they may care more about money than about us but it sure dont feel like it to me.if gta5 is a let down for me it will be due to my high expectations of them.much luv to rockstar and take two.did i just turn cod hate into gta love.my developer rating treyach 0/10 iw 3/10 r* 10/10.i hope gta5 out sells bo2 and if it dont its because all people want is a game they can hate on.if ive offended any activison puppets then ha f****** ha.did i go off topic there?ah well i dont care