36 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 12:35 PM by Kenetica RSS

Sniper Discussion - Leave your opinion

So I just wanna see where people are all at on this quickscoping vs. sniping vs. sprayer debate.

Let me know if you think snipers should be buffed, nerfed, need to remove SoH and whatnot.

My opinion:

I think the snipers should stay the same(not from Black Ops, MW2). In MW2, the sniping was fine, with the exception of SoH being too fast. From what I can tell from the sniping gamepaly from XP, the SoH ADS animation is quite slower than MW2's. The sniper damage looks fine as long as it is a torso and higher 1HK. Also, more sway but no wobble animation from Black Ops should be implemented. This way, quickscoping would still require aim since you have to compensate for sway. What do you think?

• Sniper Discussion - Leave your opinion

From the footage I've seen of MW3 sniping so far, looks fine to me.

I'll be quickscoping since that's how I sniped in Combat Arms.

i hate cheapscoping simple as that but im not a srayer either infact i found it hard to complete steady aim in both mw2 and black ops because i always ads

• Re: Sniper Discussion - Leave your opinion
    chalmerzxd

Leave it as it is imo, looks a lot more sharper than MW2 in the videos, so I hope it`ll be a more "Clean-ish" quickscope, not the shoot-beside-your-head-and-you`re-dead sillyness.(hit detection/lag?/aim assist assisting too much?)

Do we really need a new thread for this suject every other day?

mickilla

Just to cut to the chase, snipers should only be used in 'unorthodox' roles in desperate situations. Spraying a sniper rifle from the hip should be completely impractical. As should be any sort of silly quickscope gimmick.

But to compensate for these options having been taken off the table, sniper rifles should be much more useful at the traditional sniper role (who would have thought?). Sniper rifles should retain a lot of lethality with suppressors attached. They should also probably be much quicker and easier to steady out. I dare say that the idle sway should lessen the longer the scope is kept raised. 

Moreover, it would help if the map design was a little more friendly to more normal sniper behavior. As things stand in MW2 and BO, you simply cannot afford to take a vantage point for more than a nanosecond before someone spawns right behind you. That and the little detail that most automatics are just as effective at sniper range than the actual sniper rifles are. Seriously, how could anyone expect players to snipe normally when its so damn impractical?

The way I see it is that most people who hate quickscopers are the ones who have tried and failed. If it is so cheap and easy to do then why not do it yourself every once in a while?

I can firmly tell you that I can pull off an immense score with an automatic but with a sniper quickscoping I rarely pull off an immense score. Quickscoping has been around for far too long for it to be simply 'removed'. It's like removing killstreaks from the game totally just because some people aren't good enough to earn them. Why should a quickscoper have to suffer just because some people need something to blame their deaths upon?

Although, I agree that SoH Pro did make it easier in MW2 to a point where it was maybe too easy after some practice. But you still had to practice for a while to become competitive with other players. I'm sure if it was brough back to the simple Cod4 stylem of sniping then it would be more balanced even though I think your complaints about quickscoping are a little 'hollow'.

Lol I'm not complaining about quickscoping, I do it, and I do mind when others do it. I don't find it overpowered whatsoever, but I do understand the complaints of others. Being killed at close ranges with a sniper is unfair, especially if it happens more than once. HOWEVER, that it usually only because the quickscoper killing them over and over is GOOD at what they do, because an average quickscoper cannot get constant kills at close ranges, no matter how "good" they say they are.  I DO think that people are just complaining too much in general about the game and they will always complain until the game is perfect(which is impossible).

I still love most things about MW games, but sniping isn't its strong point. It's simply too easy, any player can do it. I know that's sort of how it's supposed to play out, but, just remember WaW. Most people didn't snipe because it was frustrating for people without patience. I sometimes went entire matches with getting only one or two kills, but also with NO DEATHS, so I felt as if I had succeeded. Snipers were appropriatly powered, and hiding was a skill. I say bring back WaW sniping.

Quickscoping is not cheap.  It's not like quickscopers dominate call of duty...It's not easy to do, so I think it should be included in MW3.  Sniping in BO at first was way too unbalanced...so hopefully they keep it like MW2 or go back to CoD4 sniping.  Anyone that says it's an exploit doesn't really know how to do it either....

Well I don't like quickscoping because it is a little out there but it is a game so I can't really say much there. Plus 9/10 people who quickscope fail and are just easy targets for me so I can't complain about free kills and the few people that are skilled enough to actually quickscope I suppose deserve to have it. I just wish it was either harder (as in takes more skill to the point that a lot of people stop) or change some other aspect. I mean they took out lightweight and infinite sprint thorugh perks like marathon. And a lot of people used them together to just run around. They took that out or rather just made that more difficult to do. Just because something takes skill does not mean it is not overpowered. I mean a weapon that can kill with one hit at any range without headshots.

Roughrider3527, I agree with you some what. (my Speil)

Ok. I am a sniper guy, always have always will. I don't hate Quickscopers, but I don't feel it proves anything. Sprayers thats a different story.....so STFU sprayers. Roughrider3527 I disagree because QS is actually pretty easy. I am not God of QS but I am pretty decent. I think snipers should be used for their inteded use. Like I said before people start ramming down my throat...I don't hate QS, I just don't see why it is nessecary. Honestly, I am going to use a sniper like a sniper. I don't pay attention to QS and Hardscoping, and Soft Scoping. Windeblade13 put it in good words, "The few people that are skilled enough to actually quickscope(add Good, Quicscope good) I suppose deserve to have it. I just wish it was either harder, as in it takes more skill to the point that a lot of people stop or change some other aspect." QS is going to happen but I think sniping should be like COD4 sniping. Simple, Effective, and Not cheap. Now, I know QSers are going to say well CARNAGE you said your a decent QSer, so what are you talking about. I snipe regularly, and I only QS if a guy is barroling towards me and he is close. I don't spray because thats not right. So, QS is going to happen I don't hate it, I do hate sprayers, and I think it should be like COD4. Thats why I somewhat agree with you. That's my spiel, I am not trying to offend anyone....except fuckin sprayers. If you wanna talk about sniping more then feel free to send me a message.

Perhaps it's easier for us snipers, but for someone that doesn't snipe that much, QSing can seem impossible.  My brother is your typical "try-hard" (uses a UMP and a thumper) pretty much every game, and he's not a big fan of quickscoping.  The other day we were waiting for some friends and I loaded up a private match to QS with him.  He started out hating it, but once I fully explained to him how to do it, he said he kind of liked it.  My point is, he was just ignorant to the fact of what QSing actually was, and gained some more respect for it after the match.  I'm not saying quickscoping proves anything, but it certainly isn't easy and it requires some amount of skill.  I know when I can/should QS and when I should hardscope...it's the people that think they can QS that give us a bad wrap becasue they end up losing games for their teams by going for "720 tilt shots" every game.  I have 1 try hard class too, and if I ever feel like I'm the reason the team is losing, I'll switch immediately.

I also don't care for people that spray with a sniper, but it's just their play style.  Everyone has one, and just because it's not like my playstyle doesn't mean I'm going to be upset about it.  The great thing about CoD is you can always adapt and change your tactics on the fly...it's what makes this game great.

I understand that I just wish that the people who think they could quickscope should realize they need to stop. I use to be able to but I have not played MW2 in a long time and I did not enjoy it (QS that is). It just did not complement my play style enough and part of me just wishes that traditonal sniping was more prominent than QS. But the gameplay can make that a little difficult at times.

That's a valid point, and I agree 100% about bad QSers needing to stop...but I would argue that there are a lot more traditional snipers (or, "hardscopers", as some people call them) than there are quickscopers.  I play hardcore search primarily, and hardly ever see anyone else QS.  IMO, the only reason why people think there are more QSers than traditional snipers is because bad QSers tend to fail a lot more...so they get all the negative attention.

To a certain degree it requires skill, but i'm not gunna get into all that. I agree with you on what you said you can change your tactics and stuff. I dont even remember what i posted exactly but ya. Im not hatin on QS im just saying you can use a Sniper like a sniper. You shouldnt have to get yelled at for using it like that. I agree with you though.

In my opinion quickscopers suck.

When I say quickscopers though, I mean people that pick up a sniper and only use it for quickscoping.

Saying "I was quickscoping" doesn't make up for your **** score at the end of the game.

However, someone that snipes, quickscopes, jumpshots, dragshots, etc. and finishes the match with a good score is much better than anyone just quickscoping.

Utilize everything that you can while using a sniper to get an amazing score by the end of a match. That's a lot more skillful than getting a shitty, barely positive score, because you were just quickscoping.

rankismet

Core players are gonna be miserable.

BlackOps1232 wrote:

So I just wanna see where people are all at on this quickscoping vs. sniping vs. sprayer debate.

Let me know if you think snipers should be buffed, nerfed, need to remove SoH and whatnot.

My opinion:

I think the snipers should stay the same(not from Black Ops, MW2). In MW2, the sniping was fine, with the exception of SoH being too fast. From what I can tell from the sniping gamepaly from XP, the SoH ADS animation is quite slower than MW2's. The sniper damage looks fine as long as it is a torso and higher 1HK. Also, more sway but no wobble animation from Black Ops should be implemented. This way, quickscoping would still require aim since you have to compensate for sway. What do you think?

Honestly, I don't care about QS. On MW2, I use the Riot Sheild 75% of the time, thus making the QS useless, then it becomes a battle of, "Can I get close to you and bash you twice before I get shot by someone else or get knifed in the back/side."  XD

Now, OMA/DC Noobtubers, thats another story... >:(

I don't particulary care about QS except that if you tried to put a rifle of that caliber up to your face while running and/or standing you would probably get knocked out by the recoil.  My real complaint is that the maps are just too small for real sniping applications.  Because maps are smaller the visibility of those not using sniper scopes should be reduced.  There should be no reason that I can see a sniper 500yds away with a red dot just as clearly as he can see me with a scope.

Before this topic goes any further, I want to make the distinction between 3 types of quickscoping. There is quickscoping the tool, the playstyle and the hobby. The tool is when you use it in only dire situations, as in if you don't take that chance you die because you don't have time to hide, run or swap to your secondary. The playstyle is when you ONLY quickscope and never do traditional sniping. Usually accompanied with slurs against traditional snipers. Finally, there is the hobby where people like Muzzafuzza, zzirGrizz and others do flashy spins or button combinations to make entertaining videos. ALL 3 of these things aren't wrong, since using it as a tool is just like knifing, using it as a playstyle is no different than Run n' Gunning and using it as a hobby is something they are entitled to do because they spent their own money on the game.

Solutions to people who are annoyed with these people on their team: Play with a party. If you are competitive, form a party because pub games are definitely not for competitive people. The party option is there for a reason.

Solution to people who are annoyed with these people on the opposite team: Use an accurate rifle with an ACOG scope. Gives you the extra range needed to kill snipers from distance. If you feel like you cannot kill them no matter much, put on your own sniping class. Nothing is stopping you from using the same class that they are.

I think it is stupid when QS say derogatory things about regular sniping, even my friends used to trash me saying you shouldn't be playing CoD if you don't QS. I just wanted to smack him in the face. Just let everybody play how they want, when THEY are the ones doing something off anyway.

I personally could care less about quickscopers. Very rarely have I ran into people that quickscope and actually make progress against the other team, usually you can pick them off with a regular gun quick enough. As far as actual sniping, I'm a little uneasy in a couple areas. I loved sniping in cod4, but in MW2, if you tried to snipe you were degraded by everyone for "hardscoping" which I view as straight nonsense, it's how sniping was intended to be. Then came Black Ops which made me stop sniping entirely. They completely killed sniping in that game, to the point where you can't get anything done with a sniper in your hands. However, I am very much looking forward to sniping in MW3. Based on the videos I've seen so far on the snipers, it looks extremely well-balanced and the maps look to compliment snipers as well (another thing Black Ops failed at). I can't wait to try out those new bolt actions.

WolfRidge

Quickscoping is fine (although I'm not that good at it) it takes skill but can be beat.  But Black Ops Sprayers!!! where do I start!!!   Ban them   (joke)

If you can't be accurate, get the Fu*K off my PS3

I'm like the most gangsta MW2 sniper ever but I NEVER QS. Not that it's stupid but its largely in effective when compared to traditional area control + sniping. Even the best Quickscopers are gonna get blasted way more than Good Sniping and area control.

There's ALOT of ways to play MW. But if you roll around MW NOT getting killstreaks then you arent really helping your team. Get out there and get those KS's. And anyone who says "Its just a game" or "I'm playing for fun"... then go suck hard on some FFA, because most of  us play to Win. If you go play TEAM DEATHMATCH with ANY other purpose you're being highly inconsiderate.. and I'd like to knock on your house door one day

For lil ******* who complain about Knifing, or QSing on the other team... are you serious?? You got 30 rounds to blaze at a sniper while he rattles off 2 or 3 shots at best?

OR

You got shot guns and a assault rifle to pump into a guy with a butter knife and you wanna whine?

GTFO

kk thnx