1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2012 8:51 PM by th3rever3nd Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
  • 50. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    nicedrewishfela

I don't think that system could ever be perfect.

It uses numbers to try to create a baseline. What it can not measure is the intelligence or intent of the players involved. What if the high K/D guy is just someone who ignores the objective and camps? What if the high SPM guy is just goofing around this match? Humans are human... you can't know how they are going to act.

It is basically impossible to truly matchmake by actual skill, and we all know the numbers can be misleading.

• 51. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    nicedrewishfela

I am as well. I am sure we don't know all the details, but it is good to get some transparency like this from the Devs about how things work.

Facts > Speculation and Griping.

• 52. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    Ss78_

What challenge is it exactly? If you want to help the game by raising an issue then start a thread and get it in the open forum for people to discuss it. Me and maccabi don't agree on everything either but it's not maccabi that's my focus it's the game. Maccabi actually tries to help in his own way and since I and others do know a bit about some computer stuff we also notice the "assume people don't know the basics" type manner that nerdy folk don't use intentionally as it's just a best practice type manner that can come across wrong. That isn't nearly as bad as your blatant attack on the guy.

• 53. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    maccabi

nicedrewishfela wrote:

It uses numbers to try to create a baseline. What it can not measure is the intelligence or intent of the players involved. What if the high K/D guy is just someone who ignores the objective and camps? What if the high SPM guy is just goofing around this match? Humans are human... you can't know how they are going to act.

It is basically impossible to truly matchmake by actual skill, and we all know the numbers can be misleading.

totally agree there is no fool proof "skill" measurement in CoD each attribute can be manipulated either on purpose or just because you got a lucky scorestreak in a care package.. Thats why its more of a ballpark round your level (ish) sort of parameter.

heck we just had a game of demo on nuketown and some lvl8 greenie went 70 something for -8 against us, he got lodestar and i dont know if you've experienced a lodestar on nuketown its not pretty if you're on the recieivng end.

also it's probably best if we just point blankly ignore my one man fan club, if someone needs to constantly make new accounts just solely to berate me well reflects more on them , especially as they obviously dont have the betsim enough to use their own proper account.

• 54. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    LimonAgrio

maccabi wrote:

nicedrewishfela wrote:

totally agree there is no fool proof "skill" measurement in CoD each attribute can be manipulated either on purpose or just because you got a lucky scorestreak in a care package.. Thats why its more of a ballpark round your level (ish) sort of parameter.

heck we just had a game of demo on nuketown and some lvl8 greenie went 70 something for -8 against us, he got lodestar and i dont know if you've experienced a lodestar on nuketown its not pretty if you're on the recieivng end.

also it's probably best if we just point blankly ignore my one man fan club, if someone needs to constantly make new accounts just solely to berate me well reflects more on them , especially as they obviously dont have the betsim enough to use their own proper account.

I still have some confusion as to how exactly the skill based matchmaking works per se. My question is for example how does it works when an outstanding or excellent player reset their stats on the game? Will matchmaking be based on the new flatlined stats of that player or is the matchmaking data based on the overall stats acomplished by that player regardless of the reset? Could you elaborate on that?

I hope my questions is not confusing, I am trying to picture it as best as I can.

• 55. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    maccabi

LimonAgrio wrote:

maccabi wrote:

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I still have some confusion as to how exactly the skill based matchmaking works per se. My question is for example how does it works when an outstanding or excellent player reset their stats on the game? Will matchmaking be based on the new flatlined stats of that player or is the matchmaking data based on the overall stats acomplished by that player regardless of the reset? Could you elaborate on that?

I hope my questions is not confusing, I am trying to picture it as best as I can.

Honestly not a clue on that one, i would guess that it would reset along with the stats, you could i suppose have a rank that "sticks" to the gt but resetting yourself would throw that off as you arent likely to do as well when you start,so its liable to cause issues

• 56. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    LimonAgrio

That would be nice to know thou. My reason for asking is because a few nights ago I joined a lobby where there was a  a level 14, that dominated and obliterated the opposing team for 3 rounds in a row. I was in the opposite team the first lobby and ended up with him in the following 2 lobbies, we talked and he was telling me he had just reset his stats for the same reasons I described in my original post. I just wondered if that was a factor in the matchmaking process.

• 57. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision

Well, this just confirmed who the party leader should be from now on.

• 58. Re: How Matchmaking Works- From Activision
    th3rever3nd

The mere fact that they are releasing press statements to distances themselves from the problem is proof enough that something is going on with the increasingly bad syncing problems or the "lag comp" problems. Unless you've lived under a rock for the past 250 years its basic politics to run interference and try to distance yourself from the problem. "Oh, look its not us thats causing your game to be wildly out of sync with the other people on your screen and in your lobby. Its you, or your kids streaming netflix, or your ISP throttling your connection. Nevermind that many of you have been playing on the same internet connection or have upgraded it since CoD 4. Trust us we released a nifty statement." Its funny I always knew the only game that could take down CoD was a CoD that would totally alienate its player base. But, after MW2 and MW3 I was convinced it would be a game by Infinity Ward. And after playing BO2 I think this game may be the game that finally causes CoD to cannibalize itself.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next