18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 8:03 AM by Speedy92286 RSS

Marvel Now

So Marvel Now started a few weeks ago and will continue to launch for a few months. Has anyone picked up any of the new titles? Are there any titles that anyone loves or hates? What are everyone's thoughts on the new launch?

• Re: Marvel Now
    Omnisapient

the 1st issue of thunderbolts was alright. dont really care for way OR dillon but it was still alright. i also dont like the roster. love the characters, but they are not thunderbolts IMO.

cable and the x-force was pretty great.

but so far my favorite is avengers arena. starts of on day 29 of 30 in the island where they all have to kill eachother, but than goes back to the amazing first day.

really great.

i also never really read spiderman untill 698 but that, 699 and 699.1 have all been really good.

Thats really cool. I also bought the first issue of the Thunderbolts. I'm going to stick with it for awhile. Deadpool can make anything good. lol. Yeah i agree with you though that this is an odd team. I am tempted to get Avengers Arena but I already have 5 titles that I am committed to and comic books add up in price. Haha I'm probably just going to read my friend's copies since he is going to get them. The 5 titles I'm following are: Thor, Thunderbolts, Avengers, New Avengers (once it releases) and I have once DC titles I am following which is Justice League.

Hawkeye

I picked up Avengers #1 and it's a hell of a change from Bendis, that's for sure, haha.  Hickman writes a lot more serious book, which is a nice change from Bendis making everyone throw out quips and twelve people talking in one panel.  Though I do hope there's some humor, particularly some good smartass quips from Clint, in the coming issues since I don't want my Avengers completely serious and somber.  I thought the villains Hickman created were interesting, but I wasn't blown over by the first issue.  It was okay and did a lot of set-up, but I thought the pacing was way too fast and the dialogue felt a bit dry.  This really should've been a double sized issue to properly set-up both the villains and the Avengers.  Just saying Ex Nihilo dropped a couple bombs and now the Avengers are going to go beat him up doesn't work for me.  It lacked emotional weight and heart, for lack of a better word.  We needed to see the devestation left by the bombs and the characters reacting to it and more of the movie-Avengers team fighting Ex Nihilo and his gang.  This ended up feeling more like a movie trailer where ya get the basic plot, but there's lots of stuff missing.

Anyway!  Besides Avengers, I'm pretty excited for the new Secret Avengers since it has Clint and Bobbi on the team, along with Tasha.  The whole mind wipe twist sounds stupid and not something I can imagine a lot of these guys agreeing to, but hopefully Spencer's writing will be good and he'll do the characters justice.  I'm kinda tempted to start picking up Uncanny Avengers too, especially since Wasp is gonna be on the team and the scans I've seen between Wanda and Rogue have been pretty interesting.  There's so many Avenger books coming out though, haha.

Rogue_Shadow

You should totally start picking up Uncanny Avengers, Hawk.  It's actually the only new Marvel Now book I'm reading right now, but it's pretty cool, so far.  Rogue got off to a bit of a bumpy start in issue 1, but issue 2 felt a lot more natural.  It seems like the team should be pretty interesting, with a whole bunch of personalities that won't get along too easily.  But when did you hear Wasp was gonna be on the team?!  I totally missed that...

Hawkeye

She's pictured on the cover art for Uncanny Avengers #5, I think it is.  Standing there right on Cap's shoulder!

http://blog.newsarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/UNCAVEN2012005COV_02.jpg

Rogue_Shadow

Oh, I had no idea!  Shows how much attention I've been paying to the comic I'm reading! haha, but that's cool.  Just another thing to look forward to, I guess.  That's pretty quick for them to be adding some new characters, though.  The whole original 6 of the team haven't even come together yet.

Hawkeye

How have they been introducing them?  I know Secret Avengers is planning to introduce a character or two per issue with Clint and Natasha joining in issue one and Taskmaster joining in issue two, etc.  Avengers has kinda done the opposite with the first issue starting with the movie cast and at the end you see Cap surrounded by like eight other people to go rescue the captured movie cast.

Rogue_Shadow

They've basically had them in separate groups, and I assume they'll all come together eventually.  Rogue and Scarlet Witch try to break out after being captured.  Cap, Thor, and Havok deal with a supervillain attack, and Wolverine just walks around musing about Xavier.  Rogue and Wanda have been the main focus so far, though, which is good because they have the most interesting stuff going on.

Hawkeye

Ahh, that makes sense.  I've seen scans of Rogue and Wanda together and Cap, Thor, and Havok fighting a super villain.  I think Uncanny is only up to issue two, yeah?

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, and I'm actually not behind at the moment!  So, I'm guessing that issue 3 will be out soon, so I can be behind.  I'm always behind because I subscribe.  I think I'm a full 2 issues behind on Amazing Spider-Man right now, actually.

Hawkeye

Funny, I woulda guessed you would be ahead, if anything.  You subscribed directly with Marvel, yeah?  I think a new issue might be coming out this Wednesday though, since a friggin TON of comics are coming out since Christmas is right around the corner followed by New Years.  I know I just picked up comics last week, or so, and I gotta go back again since Hawkeye #6, Avengers #2, A+X #3 (with the Hawkeye and Gambit team-up!), and Secret Avengers #35 are all out this week.

Yeah I agree that Avengers issue #1 started crazy fast. I'm still going to stay on board for awhile though. All of this action has me hooked and I'm interested to see where they are going to go with the whole cast. I'm really looking forward to New Avengers as well. I'm also keeping up with Uncanny Avengers. But yeah the villains in Avengers are pretty decent. Obviousley there will need to be some development but all in all it seems they are pretty decently powered.

Oh and also yeah next wednesday is when the next batch of comics come out. I will be getting Thor #3, Thunderbolts #2, and Avengers #2. Plus some justice league stuff but that is DC. haha.

A new week of comics has gone by. What are everyone's thoughts? Thor #3 was freaking amazing! Thunderbolts still hasn't completely sold me though.

Omnisapient

oh ya definitly, thunderbolts is garbage now.

but luckily i thought of an amazing 2 step process to make is not complete crap

1. get rid of steve dillon

2. get rid of daniel way

(and maybe change the roster completly)

these 2 people are complete garbage.

IMO.

Yeah I'm just not digging the series or these two guys for that matter. I'm dropping it for Iron Man. Out of the 6 titles I'm following, 4 are Marvel and 2 are DC. Thats pretty much how I want to keep it.

Omnisapient

new thunderbolts artist!!! now we only need to get rid of daniel way!!!

Hahahahaha yeah really. Thats the only way I will pick it back up. I'm pretty content with what I replaced it with though. Iron Man is pretty good.

Yeah, Thunderbolts is terrible. I like the team roster but the writing is just bad. I have been liking FF and Fantastic Four so far. I am looking forward to GotG and Nova (even if the new Nova makes little sense to me and Bendis is doing GotG) mostly though so I am not really too disappointed in Marvel Now yet.