So, this is a quick guide on how to succeed at black ops 2 if you are new to COD (this is a favour for a friend but I thought I may as well post this)
These are some less than obvious tips that I think would help people
1) Get a low connection. Do not get a super high speed connection as lag comp will crucify you, get a middle of the range connection or get a good connection and run like a music video in the background. Point is you do not want the game to make you host, if it does then just leave the game cause you will not have a good time (especially if you are new to this.
2) Headphones are nice but not truly necessary, I have some and while they are cool I don't swear by them
1) Some games are laggy as hell, I tend to leave these as it is just not fun. There isn't much you can do to fix the lag as even people with the best connection will lag if the rest of the lobby are on dial-ups (read: a crap connection)
2) The game does not seem to balance teams except in league play so frequently you will find yourself being totaly pooped on. This will happen a lot so just get your head down and power through, I wouldn't rage quite because I can garuntee that in a few games you will get a match where your team destroys the opposition entirely.
3) Lag compensation happens to everyone. It makes you about as effective in a gunfight as an asmatic kitten so if lag comp does strike play defensive and keep at long range. Never use a shotgun or SMG with lag comp because you WILL lose.
4) You know you have lag comp if:
-You are aimed straight at them and no bullets are drawing hit markers
-You are dying before you can even react (one shot kills)
-The kill cam displays the enemy firing more shots than you saw him fire or you firing less shots than you fired.
5) the spans are the craziest they have ever been. If you are getting spawn trapped (which will happen regardless of the enemy team trying to do it or not) just wait in your spawn or try to sneak away, hugging the edge of the map. (or spawn with a SMAW/Shotgun combo and one shot the spawn trapping noobs.
1) Never apprack a sniper directy, he will win the gunfight. Snipers are easy to use and accurate at any range in this game so if a sniper is holding down a choke point or in a building, avoid him.
2) For the love of God have a class with engineer. Bouncing betties and claymores are deadly as hell in this game and engineer delays them and makes sure you'll live. Note it does not delay shock charges so a charge/betty combo will still kill you.
3) remember that people are alerted if their equipment is destroyed so unless your enginnerovision shows a shock charge just run right though the campers defenses and knife that sniper!
4) the snipers are good in this game but not for quickscoping, use them as they were intended to be used, quickscopers usally fail (I've seen 1 or 2 good ones, but mostly they fail)
5) SMGs and Assault rifles are good all round weapons and should be your bread and butter for class set up.
6) League play is fun but play quite a lot of public before you jump in as there is no mercy in league. You may also generate a lot of hate for doing badly.
7) A lot of the objective games are fast paced and fun, do not just sit and camp. It may get you kills but ultimately no one will thank you for it, not on your team or the enemy's.
8) The ultimate aim of this game is to have fun, so do what you enjoy. If you do like playing defensively and statically then go for it (I personally get bored but if you like it, go ahead). Remeber though that other people play this game too and they want to have fun also, so let them.
9) Knifing, surprisingly, is not as good in this game as it was in previous titles
10) You will get dropped into games you are losing about 75% of the time, you're just gonna have to deal with it.
11) No one cares about win loss due to many reasons stated above, so don't bother trying to maintian it.
12) the game will disconnect many many many times. Don;t let it get to you.
13) I foyu play against parties expect to lose, parties both massively screw the balance and also they can communicate.
Hoping you find this useful,