13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 3:01 PM by Gerbera RSS

Gun Balancing

ilostmyname3

Yes, its another one of these threads.

I am by no means QQing about SMGs, i just think that they should be balanced out a little more to make other guns more viable, they could use a minor nerf to the accuracy when hipfired and to the accuracy boost gained by laser sight.

Out of all of the guns in the game I find snipers to be the least viable but also the most fun, due to the somewhat smaller and fast paced nature of the maps, running around with a sniper is not exactly the best choice, but I find it to be the most entertaining choice. A slight boost to the scope in speed of the sniper rifles and maybe either the hipfire accuracy or the accuracy boost gained by laser sight. Also, I seem to find that sometimes I will shoot someone immediately infront of me (usually with the ballista) and it wont kill them in one shot, maybe there should be a guaranteed kill range added to snipers like there is with shotguns, just don’t think that its all too realistic to be able to survive a .50cal to the chest at point blank range.

• Re: Gun Balancing
    Gerbera

There should be NO changes to any guns until something is done about the lag compensation, of which there is way too much of. It's pointless to try to make any gun changes because as long as such lag and/or lag compensation exists, the changes will make no difference in the end (at least to those experiencing lag compensation from enemies). It will still come off as things you use as "underpowered" while a majority of things used by people who kill you will constantly come off as "overpowered".

Harv72

Snipers aren't meant to be "run around" with.  That's your problem there.

The guns are pretty much perfectly balanced already IMO.  I'm sure there will be some more minor tweaks along the road, but there's nothing which really needs to be done.  As far as the SMGs go, I'm thinking you'd have much better luck against them if you were engaging your enemies from several hundred meters back, instead of within slapping distance.

If you want to use a long range weapon, then you're not going to win close range fights. If you are getting killed by SMG's a lot, then you should probably use one.

DarkHero13

AN-94 and FAL seem pretty damn viable to me. Until I see EVERYONE running a PDW/MSMC w/Laser sight at the very least, I refuse to believe any weapon to be OP. The only attachment I question is the Target Finder, which still highlights a Cold-Blooded user in red.

ShardTWN

DarkHero13 wrote:

Until I see EVERYONE running a PDW/MSMC w/Laser sight at the very least.

So uhh, where have you been then? You just perfectly described the Black Ops 2 gameplay experience since launch.

(ok ok so you forgot to include the Vector...)

I think the tar 25 & 27 are good ars against subs unless your real close. I like the gun balance on this game the only thing I can maybe complain about is the 870 is maybe a little overpowered but that's just being picky.

trialstardragon

LOL... I prefer the mk48 with vz and fmj... screw the little smg rushers. I mow im down from long range before they ever get close.

So yeah, the smg's are far from OP in this game.

Play to the weapons intended area of play and they do well.

Tifosi92

SMGs are very good on this game, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's the map design or the gun physics themselves that make them so good.

A small power boost to most of the ARs or a recoil increase on most of the SMGs would end any problem, I think. I'd consider the game balanced when most people's combat records showed varying weapons from every class as their most effective, rather than almost 70% of players I see having SMGs as their deadliest weapon.

Harv72

Tifosi92 wrote:

I'd consider the game balanced when most people's combat records showed varying weapons from every class as their most effective, rather than almost 70% of players I see having SMGs as their deadliest weapon.

You'll never see this.  Want to know why?

Because of threads like this, and You Tube videos, and everyone screaming "SMGs are OP!!!" so that all the kids immediately flock to them and don't even try the other weapon classes.

Again, it really doesn't matter to me because the SMGs are not overpowered, and are not particularly difficult to overcome with the right tactics.  But the more people keep talking about it, the more the myth becomes "fact" and the greater the perceived problem becomes.

Tifosi92

I didn't say they were overpowered, just very good. They're still beatable with good tactics, but they do occasionally win engagements that they have no business winning, in my opinion.

SitRepPro

Tifosi92 wrote:

I'd consider the game balanced when most people's combat records showed varying weapons from every class as their most effective, rather than almost 70% of players I see having SMGs as their deadliest weapon.

Are you including sniper rifles and LMGs by chance?  If so, good luck with that.

Tifosi92

You could do some incredible damage with the RPD in MW2. It wouldn't be too hard to replicate that on Black Ops 2 with a base ADS speed boost and a slight damage increase, I'd imagine.

Sniper rifles, on the other hand, are a different story. They're rather out of place in CoD as things stand, but I would definitely put that one down to map design rather than weapon physics. When I started on this game I played Turbine, Aftermath, Carrier, and Yemen almost exclusively, as a sniper. The Remington shotgun and the M27 only recently overtook the DSR-50 as my deadliest weapon, because I don't play those maps much any more. If the DLC planned for the game will come with maps on the scale of Seelow, Merville, Eder Dam (would love to see this one return), or Wasteland, sniper rifles will have their place again.

All in all, the game isn't balanced badly--it's just that a tiny bit more fine-tuning would be ideal.

Gerbera

Part of heavy SMG usage IS due to the map designs, which, like MW3, REALLY encourage urban-style, close-range combat, which is where SMGs (and shotguns) excel. There aren't many big maps in general, and the ones there are don't exactly offer very good lines of sight for longer-range combat with LMGs or Sniper Rifles, and for the few there are, there's SO much stuff cluttered around (like Carrier) that allow the SMG/shotgun/knife users to easily get in close and kill the person.

Heck, even the weapon selection reflects this; ARs and SMGs having a variety to choose from (as, in real life anyway, they're the choices for urban warfare) while we only got merely 4 of everything else, even shotguns, and a bunch of them feel very similar to eachother within their class too.

But, as I said in my first response, the first thing that needs to be looked at is lag/lag compensation as THAT is the primary cause for why some weapons seem "weak" in one's hands, yet "OP" in an opponent's.