12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 4:24 PM by sixthsamurai RSS

Why is there not an option to drop a gun?

JSlayer211

I like playing fast paced from time to time and sometimes I want to drop my gun and use the knife. Why isn't that an option? I mean if I start with two guns, deplete one and just want to have knife only on one, it's not possible. Or if I have one gun, deplete it and want to switch guns without losing my knife only, I can't. They should have an option to drop a gun.

• Re: Why is there not an option to drop a gun?
    ctrl-s

You could set up a class that doesn't have any guns. I see it all the time with perks stacked up instead of guns and attachments.

CowboySr

Or you should be able to beat somone over the head with the gun

nicedrewishfela

Why not just rock a gun with no secondary. Then you can switch to your knife.

No need to have a drop button for guns. seems it wouldn't be used nearly enough to matter.

jwaller123

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Why not just rock a gun with no secondary. Then you can switch to your knife.

This ^^^ I see this frequently.

If your secondary slot is empty the it defaults your secondary to a knife. Not sure if its a ballistics knife, but it's carried in the same fashion. Your mobility speed is based on what is in your hands anyway OP. Not what your heaviest weapon is. MW3 was whatever your heaviest weapon is, but BO2 in what is in your hands.

JSlayer211

Let's use your scenario (which I think I described in the first post). One gun and no gun for secondary. You have shot the primary gun to depletion (no ammo), now you want to pick up an enemy's gun and keep your secondary empty. This is impossible as it will not switch the gun, simply picks it up and takes it as your secondary since you do not have one. Now you have two guns, one is empty and one is your secondary, and have officially lost the empty secondary option. Let's say the only gun available at the time is the heaviest possible gun in the game, now you are unable to switch to empty gun hand and run fast for maneuverability. Whereas, if you could drop the initial gun you would remain as flexible as you began.

This would also be possible if when your secondary was empty, it didn't auto fill your secondary spot but switch your primary weapon as normal if that is what's in your hands at the time. Ex. MP7/B23R you can switch to the B23R and pickup another weapon without it removing your MP7 but if that hand is empty it auto fills that empty hand with the weapon.

Another scenario would be that you have two guns, blasted one to empty. But what is the point of being forced to keep an empty gun until you replace it with another gun? Why not just drop it and use the knife?

So for those who dont see the need.

example:

say your running knife only.. trying to get a blood thirsty and are at 4 kills, get pinned down by a headglitcher with a TF.  you run out of your cover you die, but wait your standing on a DSR. Pick it up to kill the guy but then lose 30% of your speed by having to carry that with you the rest of the time. Is it worth it?  But what if you could pick it up, use it, then go back to just your knife? Granted i understand it would probably be difficult to impliment in this game but a good idea for future games possibly.

NotablePie

well press Y/Triangle ?

it's a knife only class, so your secondary spot is still empty, so switching wil give you your knife back ?

and as said before what's in your hand sets your movement speed, so by switching you get that 30% back ?

don't see the problem that it isn't there with the scenario you explain

yes you can still use the knife but by having the gun as your seconday (especially a sniper) will still slow you down tremendously even if its on your back. your movement speed is not soley based on the gun that is in your hands.  having a heavy gun on your back does slow you down

ShaneDog

OP what button would you designate to be the one to drop the gun?????