47 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 7:33 PM by InstantOG RSS

Why do some hate snipers?

Goresh14

Was playing this a.m., took up a position with my sniper class, next thing I know a team mate pluncks himself down in front of me blocking my line of sight. He then proceeded to start dropping concussion grenades on my position. This chap may have felt I was not playing the game as he felt I should be but I know for a fact he wasn't playing as a team at all. My question is I guess are snipers not considered an asset to some?

• Re: Why do some hate snipers?

In Domo, if you run past the first cap and proceed to set up camp in one spot all game long and not be a part of the team, then you are as much use as a man short.

In my opinion, you have a right to defend a flag if you had a role in capping it.

I don't mind snipers actively defending an area by constant relocation, they can prove to be very important and play a vital role.

If you stand still in the same spot all game and wait for enemies to enter your field of view, you are a camper... regardless of the weapon you're holding. The old "I'm not camping, I'm sniping" arguement just doesn't work on me.

Time after time, I see the final score of a sniper in Domo as something pathetic like 12-29 with 0 caps and 7 defends.

I consider snipers important but what grinds my gears is snipers running and gunning with a sniper rifles??  seriously wtf?  plus the hit detection seems very generous.

Ignore that douchebag who started to concuss you

ghamorra

Define Sniping, I hate Black Ops II snipers with a passion. No skill at all. People quickscope with ease or spray their rifles through walls for easy kills. I really don't know how they could've ruined sniping any more than they have. It's about as unrealistic as it gets

Lol funny. im a sniper on some maps at least lol. You can camp with a sniper and its perfectly fine thats what they do, they watch theyre field of vision. People get mad because they dont like campers but you shouldnt worry much. hell i run n gun with a sniper sometimes to get to another spot. Its pretty much not possible to stay in the same place the whole game unless the other team are complete noobs. if your sniping then you are shooting ppl that are in your line of sight, meaning you are also in theyre line of sight, somebody will get you eventually. Also i qs and aim assist does not help when qsing believe you me. That guy was just n ass bag.

Oh yea only thing i dont like is the svu sniper rifle. Kinda gay to me (no offense to anyone that likes it). that thing is like a machine gun / sniper. To me sniper rifles should be mainly semi-auto. Now i know that it technically is semi auto but cmon now that things trigger happy. I believe the sniper rifles should be one shot or your gonna be killed pretty much. Thats what makes it fun lol.

Izjar11

Goresh14 wrote:

Was playing this a.m., took up a position with my sniper class, next thing I know a team mate pluncks himself down in front of me blocking my line of sight. He then proceeded to start dropping concussion grenades on my position. This chap may have felt I was not playing the game as he felt I should be but I know for a fact he wasn't playing as a team at all. My question is I guess are snipers not considered an asset to some?

this is not exclusive to snipers, I have had people follow me, shot next to me, throw things, all in an attempt to call out attention and get us both killed. Some people are purely moronic.

h1r0l3r

Depends on those "some" people. Since this is COD; if you run around with a sniper, you're a quickscoping tryhard douche. If you so much as stop for ONE second whilst holding a sniper, you're a camping douche. Snipers have their place in any game mode really. While they may not be capping a whole bunch of flags in Dom or planting bombs in Demo, a good sniper can make sure that the other team doesn't cap/plant at all. A true sniper in COD is more for support than assault IMO. Sure, there are some tryhard quickscopers that can do well rushing but, for the most part, they're a suuport/defense role more than anything. In my clan, the snipers will generally sit back while the rushers plant/defuse/cap. They make sure that no one from the other team steals our flag or caps A or whatever and that's their primary role. As we cap B flag, they'll move up and hold that area down and so forth. Either that dude on your team was trolling you or perhaps he thought you were just a camper. Either war, ignore them and let them go negative.

StonerShug

Guess im the opposit to most people. I hate hardscoping snipers who sit the otherside of the map in a headglitch or just so far away theyre barely on the map. It takes 0 skill to sit and hardscope.

Whereas quickscopers have actually put effort in. They still make me rage when they walk into an area and proceed to QS everybody in sight, but atleast theyve put the effort in to learn those skills. They are actually skills, how many of us have tried to QS and failed, C'mon, be honest.

The QS'ers are also sticking to the franchise more, this ISNT a war sim. Its arcadey as f***. I just dont get the "real snipers are in war" argument. Its not meant to be a war, its meant to be a game. You want "realism" then go play ARMA or something that claims to be realistic.

Last point, its probably been brought up before. But why no custom lobbys? Letting us choose to be in games with or without certain guns (ala every other bloody FPS out there) would be great. Maybe its because they know 99% of lobbys would be without Snips

ghamorra

StonerShug wrote:

Whereas quickscopers have actually put effort in. They still make me rage when they walk into an area and proceed to QS everybody in sight, but atleast theyve put the effort in to learn those skills. They are actually skills, how many of us have tried to QS and failed, C'mon, be honest.

A lot of people QS and fail, seriously a lot. So why keep doing it?

QS get about 20 kills out of luck but feed 30-40 deaths to the other team in the proccess. You say they're putting out effort? I don't see how that can justify the fact that what they're doing is better than a sniper who kills an enemy going for the capture and finishes 15-20 kills and 5 deaths, with most of their kills being defends. Since they don't die so much they add support with Steaks and they're not feeding kills to the other team

StonerShug

You have obviously never came up against a decent quickscoper. If some guy is gettin more deaths than kills via QS then he obviously isnt very good at QS. I am talking about people who have actually put effort into being GOOD at quickscoping. Sorry i hurt your feelings and you had to have a cry

EDIT: The guy hardscoping watching B has no skill. I will flank you, unaware little shrew

TRU11

hahahah lol.

a sniper rifle was created to sit on the far edges and pick people off from distance.

QS is an unrealistic tactic that is cheap and only works tnx to the shitty hit detection, even shittier connection and the on OP thing in this game called aim assist.

Hard scoping as the little kids call is sniping as it was designed and as it should be.

Quick scoping is nothing more then taking advantage off bad programming just like head glitching ans spawn killing.

nothing legit but just terrible programming.

r8edtripx

StonerShug wrote:

Guess im the opposit to most people. I hate hardscoping snipers who sit the otherside of the map in a headglitch or just so far away theyre barely on the map. It takes 0 skill to sit and hardscope.

The QS'ers are also sticking to the franchise more, this ISNT a war sim. Its arcadey as f***. I just dont get the "real snipers are in war" argument. Its not meant to be a war, its meant to be a game. You want "realism" then go play ARMA or something that claims to be realistic.

Last point, its probably been brought up before. But why no custom lobbys? Letting us choose to be in games with or without certain guns (ala every other bloody FPS out there) would be great. Maybe its because they know 99% of lobbys would be without Snips

I totally agree. Harscoping in COD is weak. To get good at quickscoping takes a crap-load of time and patience. I've practiced quickscoping for a few hours in Custom Games, and It's really tough. (I suck at quickscoping)

Lol! Yup. I don't get when people say, "Sniping is SUPPOSED to be on the edges of the map." - What a joke statement, right? Yeah buddy, in real life it is, get that hardscoping crap away from me in COD.

Some will say, "It's not realistic!" STFU!

It's also not realistic to have bullets fly completely straight over distance and not experience drop off.

I don't want the Battlefield crap even touching this game!

I was straight owned last night by a few quickscopers, and watching the kill cams, I was rarely directly in the crosshairs and still went down instantly...

rlbl

generally I have no issues with sniping/snipers...

But the SVU should be banned from hardcore (ok that is extreme but...)

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i vote for a voting system to boot bad players. i'm sure it's been discussed before.

JGDC74

A really stupid idea. People will be getting kicked simply because they killed someone.

Anyone remember Metal Gear Online? It was full of spiteful little ***** voting to kick everyone.

Trust me, this would destroy CoD!

Turtosideb

I really think some people just hate being sniped in the first place. It's always a frustrating feeling of being capped from a distance or not knowing where it came from. Getting ripped from an smg is easier to take cause u see him clearly most of the time. Quick scooping is tough to pull off and they did make it harder with the ads time of the rifles are slower and no perks/attachments to speed it up.

One thing that bugs me when people say quick scoping is not realistic. The sniper rifles in the game are still rifles! Yes with a scope that has better magnification to view through and typically a longer barrel to aid in accuracy. Handing the AN-94 you can do the very same action it takes to quick scope. Line your target,  pull up into ads and in timing pull out your shots to have it on target. It's far less forgiving with the sniper rifles cause you have to stop dead, losing sight for tenths of a sec, and if you miss with a bolt action,  Well your dead. Whoever has the Jump on the other will typically win in a firefight.  I can understand for some game balance and to tip off with CoD's fast style game play of lots of running and action its good they kept it at skill. But for people who hate snipers,  play another game! Cause variety shapes the game and battle field.

Shadow_Alq

I dont like them. I dont literally revenge-chase them either, for obvious reasons (will be killed by the 5-6 SMG's of their team in the process of trying to get to their spot).

But its really easy to explain why Sniping is so easy and cheaty on BO2: tunel-vision-maps; all 3 Flags in a straight line in Domination. What is Snipers skill? (i see a lot of people saying "skill" bah...). What do Snipers?? Yea, they have the most difficult task: they spawn, lie down or find an object, pull your sniper one-shot-kill, scope people in direct line on the other side of the map.

All maps are this but if you think not pick Drone. Yea, respawn use forest where you are. If you die and respawn on the other side of the map climb your way to the factory and do the same.

All the others are the tards QS'coping because they need one-shot-one-kill guns.

Turtosideb

There are a few maps that present a tunnel vision and makes it easier to snipe. But I think they did a good job on making sure that in sniper nests and enclosed area's that there is more than one way accessable to the area. So watching your flank and placing betty's etc becoming very critcal.

I'm always playing Hardcore, so a lot of guns are 1-3 shot kills. Sniping in that game mode is really covering your teams advance and keeping the enemy from carelessly running. I can see its even more critical in regular to have a one shot kill cause from a long range in the map Carrier for example. Any rifle from a long stretch will take 4-5 rounds to take out someone and you cant just lay down the trigger. Gives them too much time to get into cover, so the sniper comes in to bring down in one.

JGDC74

I have never had a problem with Snipers. That's why Sniper Rifles are in the game, so people can get long distance kills.

It's quickscopers (or cheapscopers as someone here correctly dubbed them) I cannot stand. It's not much of a problem in Black Ops 2, ruined MW2 though.

I dislike quickscoping because it's too easy to do. All you need is a fast trigger finger.

If it was easy to do, everyone would be doing it.  Like, literally: everyone.

wrecku

It reguires no skill what so ever. Take away aim assist and the little kids would be lost. No real cod player would QS. QS and TF are aimed at the 7yr olds that just can't aim.

They don't do it because everyone likes to point and spray with their MP7s. I bet if you put a sniper rifle in their hands or something that requires them to ADS I bet your ass that their k/d would drop .5 in a few games.

That's kind of my point.  If quickscoping were so easy, there would be no reason to do anything else: OHKs from anywhere on the map.

I think it's a cheap as hell tactic and an obvious exploit which will probably never be fixed, but it does require skill to do consistently.

Maybe its just easy 4 me. The first time I picked up a sniper rifle I QSed the **** out of it. After I got killed I never wanted to touch them again. Its no fun when you can get kills that easily.

If you checked my weapon usage, the only sniper rifle I ever used was all from one game. 9 kills, 60% accuracy. All from QSing.

I just started trying out snipers in the last week, and I mean just started: I might have fired 2 shots total from sniper rifles in past CoDs.  I definitely don't see QSing as being easy...in fact, I've had much more success no-scoping when I get surprised at close quarters vs. trying to quickscope.  And by "much more success" I mean that it's worked twice vs. not working a dozen or more other times.

From watching videos & listening to what some of the more accomplished QSers say, it's a combination of initial aim points and timing, both of which require as much "skill" as anything else in the CoD franchise.  I mean, really, every weapon is going to sight in on target initially if you're pointing in the right direction to begin with, all that QSing does is offer you the opportunity for a OHK if you time the shot right.  That said, I've gotten quite a few CQC kills over the years as the result of people who missed those quickscopes on me (and been laid out many times, too).

Still, the biggest evidence I see that it's not entirely "easy" is that so few people do it, and even fewer do it well.

theroc23

Here's what I REALLY LIKE about Snipers: They are among the extremely small number of BO2 players that have the balls to play with something other than an SMG. That **** is far more annoying, not the SMGs in general, just the fact that the LARGE MAJORITY of players use them on EVERY map. "SMGs are fine, not over powered, balanced and blah, blah, blah..." Wrong, if SMGs weren't OPed in one way or another people would dare play with something else, which they don't.

Are you familiar with the term "self-fulfilling prophecy"?  That's what the whole SMG thing has become.

The guns are balanced, or at least are much closer to being balanced than in any prior CoD.  The problem is that all the big You Tubers push the SMGs because those guns cater to the playstyle which they all use (excessive rushing), then the kids use the SMGs because You Tuber X said they're the best guns in the game, then the forums get swamped with "SMGs are overpowered" posts & people start noticing every time they get killed by an SMG and it just snowballs.  In reality, they're only really that good at what they're supposed to be good at: CQC out to the edges of middle range.  There are plenty of ways to effectively use other weapon classes on any map.

Next game you play which actually records in Theater (I know that's iffy), try going back and seeing what every single player in the lobby used for their weapons.  I think you'll be shocked at how many ARs, LMGs, Snipers, and Shotguns you see.

theroc23

Do it all the time, that's what I base my opinion on, and SMG use is extremely dominant in all of my matches regardless of map size. As for the YouTube theory, that's a valid theory that I won't discard, but in general people are smart enough to use what ultimately works best for them regardless of what they're told to use, and that's another valid and proven theory that shouldn't be discards either. Are you familiar with the theory of Ockham's Razor?

But we still haven't even hit the 2-month mark since release, and plenty of players have only had the game for a couple weeks now.  A decent number will stick with what they're familiar with (the SMGs) for the entire time they play, but many others will eventually move on to trying other guns and seeing what they can do with them.  That said, the differences we're seeing could also be a byproduct of the skill-based matchmaking; I have a lower SPM than most here, and in "tougher" lobbies I could see there being more SMG use...but again, simply because higher SPM generally = more aggressive rushing style, which is what SMGs are designed for.

Also, as someone who has worked with the public in the past, I can tell you with absolute confidence that people are not smart enough to use what ultimately works best for them.

mn7_la

Really liked your last statement. IMO almost 90% of decisions that "people" make (as a collective - not as an individual) tend to be based on emotion, religion, or some other "subjective" entity. Rarely can one see a group of people that would be objective.

Simple example: If an individual is told that there's a danger in walking alone at night in a particular locality - the individual would either find an alternate path to their destination (or not traverse thru that locality) - OR - they would arm themselves to protect against any muggers. That's just logic.

But, when the nation is told that there is a danger & some people/group may "hijack" a car, a bi-plane or a jet - guess what? The nation (pepole) will choose to voluntarily "give up" the right to protect themselves in a car, a bi-plane, a jet or even at their kids' high school.

Group decisions annoy me.

I'm also in agreement with your statement on SPM. Mine is just around 200 (in some cases much lesser too) - and if I cautiously play to keep it lower for a few games, then I can see that I'm matched with sub-150 SPM players - and the game becomes enjoyable. But therein lies the problem: I start getting too many kills or get objective points - thereby increasing my SPM (& that puts me into annoying higher SPM lobbies).

MN

wrecku

I hate everything that kills me. How's that for being fair.

BukLau101

Snipers always get hate. If we 'hardscope' (snipe) then we are gay, if we QS we are exploiters and cheaters, if we sit back and defend then we are campers. People will always hate 1 shot kill weapons because there is nothing you can really do to counter it unless the sniper or shotgunner gets a hitmarker.

I don't hate snipers, really. I just hate the playstyle that's basically required to use the gun effectively. As someone who always moves around the map to engage the enemy, it drives me nuts when I'm running along and abruptly get sniped by some guy camping off in a distant corner of the map. Before anyone says anything; no, I am not condemning sniper users for having lack of skill, or anything of the sort. I am aware that it takes a fair amount of patience, precision, and good reflexes. It just irritates me because it always directly conflicts with how I play.

I suppose in the broadest sense, I just don't know how it's fun to approach the game that way. I'm entertained by outsmarting the other team, winning gunfights, and strategizing with my peers. I would be bored to tears if I attempted to isolate myself in the distance behind a veritable blockade of tactical/lethal equipment, just waiting and hoping for an enemy to cross my sights. That's not fun to me, that's tedious.

So, it really comes down to a personal difference of opinion. If you rock the sniper and do well with it, props; you have the patience that I never could. I just won't be joining you in your roost anytime soon.

rtmgp2002

I don't dislike snipers, as long as they play the objective.  But last night I was playing domination on Drone and had 3 snipers on my team (all randoms) and all 3 of them were sitting on top of the drone pad looking over B Flag.  I keep trying to take the B Flag with them on overwatch, or so I thought, but the other team kept coming up the middle with like 3 guys and I couldn't kill them all, so naturally I got killed.  Those 3 snipers stayed on the drone pad the whole first half of the match, and never once did they try to take out the guys coming up the middle.  I even went up to the drone pad to see what they were doing except moving around to different spots trying to snipe people, but never anybody at the B flag.  I couldn't understand what they were doing, so I gave up trying to take the B Flag (after trying 4 times).  Snipers are okay, but 3 all staying in one place isn't going to help win a domination match,

Nothing wrong with snipers, I dont get the hate they get either, a lot of people always complain about them.

I only disliked them in one match of turbine where a whole clan was using them, it was the most boring match of tdm I ever had.

I only snipe when i play DEMO or DOM and I'll sit back where i can watch both objectives and make sure no one takes them. Occasionally I'll get the douche who wants to sit in front of me because he thinks I'm camping. which i kinda am because i can;t quickscope nor do i want to learn to

CallOfDutyFan88

they do annoy me but they should be a force to be reckoned with so i cant get mad about it. besides, smg, shotgun,pistol, assualt rifle, lmg and even crossbow users each have their own ways to annoy snipers back. its all about creating a engagement that best suits ur weapon as much as possible, if u do that snipers or anything else really wont annoy u as much. im a pretty good sniper myself but the playstyle bores me and i prefer a more versatile setup anyway.

Turtosideb

For anyone that complains about snipers, you simply have engage them on your terms and not his. Makes me laugh when people sprint up the middle when its a snipers alley, or better yet when they know they are being watched from cover and try to sneak out to shoot them! I catch Noobs like that all the time. Best thing to do is smoke out a sniper and/or run an alternative route to them.

Take Smoke grenades with Scavenger! great for anti-sniper and even better for Kill confirmed! Throw smoke where the dead tag is to cap it with minimal risk, Reload on smoke from the kill and repeat.

offthewall2

I use a sniper and I always have more caps than most of my teammates, you just need to know when to play the objective and when to snipe. It's important to take the lead before resorting to other shenanigans. Those matches that were a "Draw" you should have been working your ass off, or else a teammate was doing twice the work for you.

bubbacake

Firstly, I never understand the hate the snipers get. Sniper rifles (when not quickscoping) are just as damned hard to use as a shotgun: you have to play to its strengths.

Second, real sniping in Call of Duty is really hard. Actually, the sniping part is easy. The hard part is being a true sniper.

What's the point of being a sniper, in Call of Duty, realistically? The whole "point" of being a sniper is that you kill people instantly. The trouble is, the guns in Call of Duty kill retardedly fast and you don't need the best of aim to kill people, you can spray just fine and be A-OK.

InstantOG

If your not good at sniping then stop. If your not helping the team in an objective game mode then stop.

I'm a good sniper on mw2,mw3 and BO2. But i always rush spawns, QS and C4 anytime i get in trouble.

I do better than guys using MSMC's and SMGs most of the time.