37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 11:15 AM by Gerbera RSS

Has Engineer become a must use perk?

the_murf53

I find myself using engineer as my third tier perk all of the time now when I never used to before.  The amount of betties, claymores and shock charges I see are out of control.  In the first black ops I never used that perk and I got killed by claymores but not to this extent especially with scavenger being able to give you your equipment back.  I once joined a match of KC (on the losing side of course) and when I spawned I swear to god half of the map was covered in shock charges and betties. 

• Re: Has Engineer become a must use perk?
    BukLau101

Engineer isn't a must use perk but it will spare you alot of frustrating deaths. I either use Tac mask or engineer on almost all my classes.

rlbl

Because of scavenger I could say yes... But there are counters (not just engineer).

Think back in MW2 when scavenger also replenished claymores and there were no counters (safe from running through them).

There are a lot more stationary equipment now, but the counters have also increased:

Engineer (allows you to see them, and run through them)

Black Hats

Dead Silence (enemy is not aware of hacked equipment)

Scavenger allowing you to replenish black hats (scav works both ways)

Tack Mask (shock charges, flashes and concussions do not slow you down)

- Did I miss anything

Pick you poison. Keep it simple (no equipment thus no need for counters); Mix it up (more equipment and counters)

This is a different game...when people play to its strengths and stop trying to play it like it was a previous game... we can move on (if only they fixed the damn connections!!!)

In my opinion, Engineer is vital and is on all of my classes except my shotgun class which has Extreme Conditioning and Dexterity.

I'm playing a lot of Hardcore lately like I always used to and would never play it without the Engineer/Dead Silence/Black Hat combo.

I'm NEVER killed by Sentry/Guardian/Betty/Claymore

Izjar11

depends the game mode.

phxs72

I use it a lot simply because for my playstyle it is the best third tier perk in most cases.  However, I also keep a flak jacket/tac mask class on hand for when I need to cap that B flag and know that it's going to be bombarded while I'm doing it.  Tac Mask is really incredible in this game.  But again it goes back to playstyle.  If you are going to rush in regardless, then I'd say Tac Mask is more useful but if you are going to take a more cautious approach then Engineer would be the better pick.

ghamorra

It definitely feels that way. Though nothing is a must use perk, I can tell you I immediately notice a major increase in deaths when I'm not using it

I feel as though the only thing engineer cant run throughh is stock charges. Ive tried everyday of my life and i still get electrecuted. Something has to be done about this. To answermthe OP, i use engineer on all my classes. I cant stand silly deaths

postcode

I keep it on a class  ...  and if there are shock charge , claymore  spammers

I use it

StonerShug

Esseantial for me, every class i use runs Engineer for sure. Engi/Emp is just ridiculous. Ive lost count how many times a bloke has put down a sentry/guardian and i have IMMEDIATELY emp'd it + the surrounding shock charges and betties. Engi/Emp completely removes the danger of those 2 low end scorestreaks and said equipment for me. Plus you get a decent amount of points for taking anything out, which definetly helps for scorestreaks

yea i find engineer to be a must. it helps you avoid camping traps, booby trapped routes, and advandced warning of sentry guns and guardians so you can alter you path accordingly. It is an absolute must when running the map

Thesandman

I use it all the time,along with 2x blackhats. Before its unlocked,i just drop to the ground and survive the betty.

Im_A_Drag85

even when not running engineer, we can all avoid most of the equipment despair by always checking corners when entering rooms and tossing in emp's, concussions, and/or flashes.  Not using engineer really forces me to play with more carefulness and eliminates a bunch of "run and gun" mentality.

SoG_Hanix_PC

Engineer is really only needed if your trying to sneak up on a camper or turn his equipment against him with Black Hat. It depends on your play style. If you are slow and methodical, you need it. If you run and gun, you don't. You just slap on Tactical Mask and Flak Jacket, and you're an unstoppable rushing machine.

WhyNoName

I run engineer pretty much on every class I play with simply for the fact that I run care packages and I like to roll the dice when I get small reward CPs.  It has also helped tremendously with dealing with the amount of equipment out these days.  I also run EMP grenades as well so I get a hefty amount of free score each game by chucking those at the glowing red safety nets people like to place about.

it definitly helps with getting tons of points using EMPs.  I run CP alot and i have ONE class with engineer.  When i get my CP i swap to that class when i die just to roll the CP then its back to whatever class i was using.  On good days i have the problem of getting multiple CP's in one life; dexterity is a must have for me.

Zaled

It's definetly NOT a must use perk. I prefer Tact Mask over engineer any day.

Dropin_Noobs

Engineer not only keeps me alive, but the people who lay them down don't understand they are helping me get my score streaks easier.  All those betty/shock charge combo's are 100 points towards your streaks.  Another good use I find out of engineer is how I can pretty much tell if someone is camping in a room without the use of a scanner or any other garbage sight.  On top of all this it also delays the detonation time of all equipment incase your in a tough spot whee you dont have time to destroy it so you really don't need flak jacked and engineer stacked unless your worried about just grenades.

Gerbera

With a majority of people I come across spamming Betties, Shock Charges, Concussions, and Flashes, Engineer and/or Tactical Mask do feel almost mandatory to use (the rerolling of Care Packages + booby trapping enemies ones is nice too). I've found myself using Perk 3 Greed more often and using BOTH sometimes, especially on a rusher class like SMG or Shotguns, more so than Dexterity and/or Extreme Conditioning at times.

Dexterity WOULD be quite nice if I wasn't on the losing end of lag/lag compensation so much, thus the "aim faster after sprinting" effect is pretty much useless because whoever I come across will be a second or more ahead of me anyway.

So while Engineer may not be "must use", it IS one of the most useful ones, though, as mentioned, it can also depend on your playstyle.

MrFluffy949

Not really. I rarely see claymores, betties can be dodged most of the time and shock charges can be heard. I use dexterity most of the time but have a tac mask class ready in case there are people really going for it with concussions etc

T-boss

enginner and tacmask are the best. simply becuase there is alot more mines this time around. and you can scavange mines. + a mine tactical. but the other 2 suck mostly because they are useless. lagcomp ruins dextarity. but improve built in lagcomp, dextarity would be usefull to rushers. deadsilance/awarness are useless. mostly from footsteps being silent. engineer is up to par with those being louder. tacmask is good in cetrin moods, and with all the shotcharges laying around. shockcharges need a nerf eather A making htem virtualy useless as normal tacticals, inable to be used as mines, or something similar.

Hellgast_PT

eng its a most i just love the care package re-roll 1 kc game yesterday on nuketown the game started i made care package and re-roll a guardian to get a loadstar real early on game it made a easier win for my team for me its a must unless im running shotgun.

dead4ever_uk

i hardly use engineer much myself i use er either awareness or dead silence or extreme conditioning

Jaggajatt187

I used it on all classes in the begining but now I use only Tac Mask as my 3rd perk. Seeing as its mostly bouncing betties & shock charges, I trained myself to duck under betties.

I find shock charges a lot more annoying than betties or claymores and I run with a EMP grenade in case there a gaurdian or sentry.

wikked75

just throw an emp grenade into the middle of the map and it'll take out most of the stuff deployed on the map.

deadimpact

I think that depends on your play style, game mode, and your opponents. Personally, I only use Engineer on one class because I find Dexterity more useful during the course of most games.

MrMcGibb

I don't know if it is a MUST, but just remember when your NOT using it or....BOOM! I personally use it alot and catch myself from time to time saying "what the!!...oh yeah, thats right" and realize I'm running a different class. Can be tough (at least for me) sometimes going without it.

I think tac mask, engineer or dexterity are the must use 3rd tier perks.

Extreme conditiong isn't that great because rushing isn't as popular because you die so fast if you get caught with a couple bullets, which is really weird because it seems like from my perspective it seems like i shoot someone 4 or 5 times before they die. But sometimes I get caught with 1 bullet and die it seems, but then when it shows the kill cam it shows they shot me more than once, however when I was actually playing it never showed I was being shot because screen didnt turn red.

Awareness/dead silence doesn't really help me anyways because I am hearing impaired, so that's why when I play online and use my mic I normally request team mates to talk loudly. This is also why I have been trying to spread word to treyarch to create a hearing impaired dlc or settings thing for zombies and multiplayer. With the bad hit detection if my screen doesnt turn red sometimes I don't know I'm being shot at.

Tac mask is great for avoiding tactical stuff/ combined with flak jacket this is a good combo for running into buildings to kill campers/ people playing defensively.

Engineer is a must have if the enemy is getting a lot of scorestreak, combine Engineer with the black hat and take out their scorestreaks quickly. Another good thing about the blackhat is when you destroy enemy equipment they give you a good amount of points. Enemy equipment gets you 50 points each and scorestreaks scores you 150 points each. So I recommend carrying 2 black hats paired with engineer in one of your classes.

Scavenger is an awesome perk if your running without a secondary... some people say why do you like scavenger, well it's simple scavenger refills not only your ammo but also your lethal and tactical equipment, which is great if your posting up in an area because you can just keep throwing down shock charges and bouncing betties or see someone coming and hit them with a flash and a semtex.

This post is a bit lengthy, but this is just some of my insight on some of the perks. i like other combinations as well but I think this is long enough so I don't go too off topic

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

all my classes have Engineer. i really like not being a sucker for shock charges.

JanThaMan

Third tier perks really determine how your playstyle is.

If you choose Engineer, then of course, you're a flanker or somewhere along those lines.

Dexterity, you're a rusher + a flanker.

Tac mask, you're an objective player that flanks as well as a rusher.

What I'm saying is that Engineer isn't the ONLY must use perk. Dexterity, Tac Mask and Extreme Conditioning are also a must use according to your playstyle.

Evangelice

I agree with mostly everyone on this page. But for one, betties are a noob's explosive. there's seldom a time where they are placed in a position where destruction or engineer is needed to dodge them. Most betties are dodgeable. The only frustration I've had with BB's are when im shootingan enemy and they toss out their betty cuz they cant win the gunfight and unless your dropshotting or running engineer your not likely to dodge this cowards tractic.

claymores are easily more visible but are alot more tricky to dodge without engineer on flak jacket eliminates this problem altogether. but if your facing a bunch a betty losers run tactician with 1 black hat/ 1 emp grenade each. this gives your versatility as t choose how you wanna go about getting past equipment.

Gerbera

Yeah, I see that and have had that attempted on me countless times. It's why I say that the INSTANT the user dies, any Lethals/Tacticals they have out or throw out should disappear IMMEDIATELY, not linger around for 1-2 seconds after they're dead and allow a "free" kill.

Evangelice

I agree with mostly everyone on this page. But for one, betties are a noob's explosive. there's seldom a time where they are placed in a position where destruction or engineer is needed to dodge them. Most betties are dodgeable. The only frustration I've had with BB's are when im shootingan enemy and they toss out their betty cuz they cant win the gunfight and unless your dropshotting or running engineer your not likely to dodge this cowards tractic.

claymores are easily more visible but are alot more tricky to dodge without engineer on flak jacket eliminates this problem altogether. but if your facing a bunch a betty losers run tactician with 1 black hat/ 1 emp grenade each. this gives your versatility as t choose how you wanna go about getting past equipment.