7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 5:24 PM by FunnySpaceBear RSS

Severe lag, poor frame rate isssues black Ops 2 Playstation 3 / PS 3 - moved to Xbox 360.

Note: this is about xBox and PS3 so I will post it in both forums.

Dear Activision,

During the festive period I committed to purchasing Black Ops 2 for the PS3 / Playstation 3.  I was initially very impressed with the work that you had produced. However, as time progressed (a matter of minutes) I begun to discover the following problems with Black Ops 2 on my PS3 / Playstation 3.

1.  On the map Carrier, if I were to look towards the centre of the map, in which is located a burning jet, the frame rate drops dramatically, especially when turning around.  If my character spins around slowly, it is possible to see the image start to jerk. I have also noticed this issue within the Turbine map.  If I stand toward the bottom of the map (near to the pick-up truck) and look upwards (I.e. along the shaft of the fallen turbine) I again notice a significant drop in frame rate when turning left and right.  This drop in frame rate makes targeting an enemy extremely difficult, it creates a barrier to being able to play the map effectively.

2.  This point is something of which I expect you are already aware.  The network latency is making the playability of this game significantly more challenging than I believe it should be at this point in time.  For example, there are times when my character is shot when behind cover (I.e. shot even after the character has turned a corner), yet when the killcam shows the shot, I am still in clear sight.  This inevitably makes the competition more about a lack of network interference/lag than it does about skill.  At other times, I appear to be invincible - I would imagine that my opponent is at that poor end of the connection at this point.

As a result of the abovementioned issues, and a lack of a fix/acknowledgment that Black Ops 2 on the PS 3 suffers crom these problems, I decided to buy an Xbox 360 so that I may enjoy the game - as I believe it has amazing potential (and I had read many articles stating that a lot of these issues do not exist on the Xbox 360).  I am quite fortunate on being able to do this, as I had been saving up to buy one for some time..  Anyway, long story short, the game on the xBox plays much better, the difference might be described as night and day - someone might even say that the PS 3 version of Black Ops 2 is not fit for purpose.  Rather than battling against drops in frame rate, I am now more often battling against my opponents within the game.  Unfortunately, there still exists an issue with lag on this console too. :-(. 

I have since purchased the Revolution pack on my Xbox 360, which looks really good.  Unfortunately, I had previously bought it on the PS3 / Playstation 3.  As the product has not been released, would it be possible to obtain a refund for the Revolution pack on the PS 3, as I now longer Play Black Ops 2 on the Playstation 3, due to it being overly difficult to play because of the problems listed above.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this request/question.  I sincerely hope that you nail that issues being experienced by end users of the game, as it is clear that it has the potential to be one of the best first person games out there.  Congratulations for the parts of the game that work without issues - just need to nail down the other bits now.

Thanks,