16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 8:45 AM by WolfRidge RSS

does prestiging matter???

ladylucina

Ok guys and gals just a quick thing here. On my main account I am prestige 5 level 49. me and my fella were playing one night and we were doing terrible(he plays player 1) so i said lets go onto my second account, which at the time was about level 22 not prestige(i play player 1 on that account). ok so on the main account we played and went something like 8-14 so we logged into the other account just to see if there was a difference. we got into a game and we both done amazing. my fella went something like 26-3 for 8-9 games in a row and i went something around 16-4 for them 8-9 games in a row to. maybe we are just crap lmao. but it seemed alot easier on the second account than it did on the main account prestige 5. i really dont know the answer to this but does it put you against better players or something when you prestige? or are we just useless in general lmao ~waits for the "you are just crap" comments~ lol

• Re: does prestiging matter???

theres no matchmaking to do with your rank, you probably just dropped lucky with the players in your lobby.

ladylucina

ah ok. thanks GRIZZ

That's not entirely true.  It doesn't take rank/prestige into account, but it does look at your SPM when finding potential lobbies.  An account with very little game time on it will have a higher variance from your "true" SPM, so it is possible that on a low-level account you could get much tougher (or easier) matches for a while depending on how well you did in your first few games.

But to answer the OPs question, prestiging only truly matters in this game in that you cannot unlock every item unless you reach Prestige Master.

in theory that might be true, but i often get put in lobbies were peoples spm is a lot lower, or alot higher, so the spm matchmaking doesn't actually matter either, imo its all random, you get chucked into what ever lobbies available when you search for a game

I've noticed on my account that the spread in my lobbies has firmed up as I've moved up on the prestige ladder.  While I would often see spreads from 400 down to 80 during the first couple prestiges, it's now almost always in the 240-300 range (my overall SPM sits around 250).  So they might have some sort of algorithm which tightens the spread depending on game hours, or it could just be the result of everyone else getting in more hours as I did, providing more accurate ratings.

I'm actually thinking of starting up play on my second account, so I'll see what happens when/if I do that.

ladylucina

thank you harv. but is what i am saying is on the level 22 not prestige account the games seemed so much easier. they def were not tougher at all. but on the prestige 5 account i was getting slaughtered lmao. maybe we just got lucky in the enemy players not being great or something

exactly, sometimes i get tough lobbies and sometimes easy ones, its all random imo.

That's also possible (goodness knows we've all gotten into good lobbies where we looked 10x better than we actually are).  It could even have been something as simple as finding a few good hosts when you switched accounts vs. having latency issues when you played on the other.

What I'm saying (and I'll specify this time that this is opinion, not demonstrated in fact yet) is that on your new account, let's say the 10-15 games you played to get to level 22 weren't as good as you normally do, or maybe you were playing a lower-scoring game mode than usual (TDM vs. Dom or whatever).  Your SPM would then be lower, and the matchmaking system would pair you with generally easier opponents.  Also, if it is factoring in the amount of time you've played, the potential spread of your opponents' SPM would greater.

I don't know, this makes a lot of sense from a logical standpoint, which knowing the way Treyarch did so many other parts of the game probably means that I'm completely wrong, but we'll see if someone with the time & math skills ever does a detailed breakdown of what exactly the skill-based part of the matchmaking takes into account.

InstantOG

Prestiging does matter, The higher the level the higher the competition. You may get dropped in a game with low levels but the matchmaking system will put people around your rank with you later on. Since I'm prestige master most of my lobbies turn from 3-5 Prestige to 7-PM once people leave and get replaced.

Ungrateful_Dead

There is definitely skill based matchmaking affects related to SPM in BO2 as confirmed by Treyarch/Vondehaar.  While this doesn't explain your situation, this might; we are also told there has been some other matchmaking measures in previous games as well that had nothing to do with connection. 

Those who started second accounts may have noticed that their non-prestige account got easier lobbies than their ranked up one did.  Not exactly "proof," but as others noted, in absence of enough data to accurately rank SPM, they could be grouping prestige levels together on a certain extent.

In the example provided, however, it could be you just got on a good run in a good connection lobby.  I have days that suck and others that seem like I can actually do well, so who knows?

BanHaMMer

It has to do with many variables:

• What Internet connection you have chosen in the Options menu.
    • Where you live in relation to "Gamer population"
    • Gamer population in your chosen game mode.
    • Split Screen variables, bandwidth x 2.

SPM really do not come into play until the very end of the "search for MP game" equation or what ever game developers call it

flameweilder8

lol, no. Prestieging is a waste of time.

lifeson90

nothing really matters.... anyone can see.......

fLoRiDa_KrAcKeR1

We're y'all drinkin ? For me , it's like my golf game, the more I drink the better I get.

Get-R-Dun.     

BanHaMMer

WolfRidge wrote:

In my opinion it doesn't affect a players performance, maybe the perks,weapons etc do that, Not sure about the skill based matchmaking to me it all seems so random.

Stats like win loss mean more to me, but even that is a bit of a grind, in my experience all Prestige equates to is the amount of time played and/ or total score.

Must admit the Master Prestige badge is nice, I doubt I'll ever get it as I wont put the time in.

I could always boost!  ( joke )

WTF is up with the forums? everything's in the wrong order

Finally some one else noted, "WTF is up with the forums? everything's in the wrong order