8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 8:41 AM by ScrewURoundEYE RSS

Avoiding Host and Lowering MTU

Is there a way to avoid being host?  I have a very good connection and I seem to get host a lot, and it's very frustrtaing that I have to have a horrible game experience due to this because they can't or don't want to get dedicated servers.  I get instant killed enough when I'm not host, so being host every third game makes it almost umplayable.

Also, Would lowering the MTU setting on my PS3 decrease the speed at which my data is sent to the host and increase my ping to the host so I would have less lag comp?   I'm not a network guy so I don't know a lot about that stuff.

Thanks!

• Re: Avoiding Host and Lowering MTU
    Izjar11

Is there a way to avoid being host?

I do not think so, even if you had terrible Internet I believe the system will pair you with equal signal strengths making someone how's (the one whos signal is best). What your describing is "lag compensation" trying to unsuccessfully balance your connection and others.

Also, Would lowering the MTU setting on my PS3 decrease the speed at which my data is sent to the host and increase my ping to the host so I would have less lag comp?   I'm not a network guy so I don't know a lot about that stuff.

Decreasing the speed to which your packets are sent to the host results in bad connection (this is ping). There is no real way to avoid the games connection issues, this I now believe is something that they can really only address and fix. 

mn7_la

I thought MTU - was basically a measure of the quantity of data on each data-packet that's being transmitted by the PS3/Router/Modem.

OP: Do you know what an MTU is? Have you done any research to determine how it impacts online game-play?

MN

mn7_la

Here's a wiki link for a general idea of what MTU is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

By lowering the MTU - you may end-up dividing information across multiple data-packets. By increasing MTU - you may end-up utilizing more than required bandwidth.

I wonder if the "bandwidth" that BO2 shows under "Options - System Info" has anything to do with the size of the data-packets. It usually shows a number between 2900 to 3100 Kbps.

MN

Izjar11

MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Units - Usually it should be between 1460 and 1500.

It's just a fancy way to say "How much data should I send in one burst?"

Make it too large and your packets will start to fragment - too small and you'll be sending unnecessarily small packets.

Many people (noobies mostly) think if you set this number higher, you'll send more information in each packet making it faster but what they don't realize is those packets need to travel through routers etc. to other networks that are set to 1500 (or smaller) and because the packets are too big, the router will chop them down so they'll fit on the new network thus actually slowing things down.

P.S.

Be careful modifying your MTU because TCP/IP performance is based on A LOT of different variables and changing one might have dire consequences on other settings.

I've been playing with the MTU today and it does not seem to do anything.  I get host less but maybe that's just luck.

There HAS to be some fix for being lag comped.  I've been watching my kill cams all day today and I'm almost always 1/2 to 1 second BEHIND everyone else.  Somewhere in the software it is making the decision to make me behind.  Whatever is causing that decision to be made against me is what needs to be addressed.  Since the game is connection based and lag comp is based on connections, then the decision made by the code has to be based on something on my end I can alter.

Can anyone describe lag comp in a way that isolates that decision?

The only other thing it could be, which 3arc would never admit to because it is shady, is that they are randomly distributing the lag comp in all directions to balance out everyones game.  The only reason I would not believe this is because I'm behind much much more often than not.

ScrewURoundEYE

I have an Associates degree in Networking and I am working towards my Bachelors degree. I know this video has been posted to the forums, multiple times, but I can say this video, if you listen and pay attention, will clearly explain there is much more then lag/lag compensation at work when it comes to how Black Ops 2 multiplayer appears to work without the need to understand networking in detail. If you have played past CODs such as COD4, MW2 and compare them to BO1, MW3, and BO2, you will have a better understanding in general on how the game should feel playing online.

raikun

Here´s my take on this:

I started playing Blops2 fairly recently and began to experience lag comp quite a lot, to the point where I'd shoot a whole clip into a player and he wouldn't die, whereas I'd get instakilled with a small burst. Now, bear in mind I don't have the greatest aim so i took that into account as well, but there was no way that after years of playing FPS games I'd suddenly start sucking giant donkey balls.

So this is how I fixed the lag part at least:

1. Playing with the MTU does affect your connection but finding a sweet spot does wonders for the way your hits register with the servers. I found mine to be 1395 so i set up my PS3 as a Static IP, used Namebench (https://www.google.com.co/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0 CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcode.google.com%2Fp%2Fnamebench%2F&ei=vHYSUaWHAoj29gSn 84GAAg&usg=AFQjCNE4tA6guL217FISlFz_1wzWXF-X3Q&bvm=bv.41934586,d.eWU) to determine the Fastest DNS available to me, and added it to the DNS list on my PS3 Network options ( I also used Google´s DNS as Secondary - 8.8.8.8)

2. Also, I enabled UPnP, changed said MTU both in my router and in my PS3 config. I didn't test the connection cuz I knew it would show an error, just saved my changes and fired up Blops2

3. Once I went to Online PLay, I changed my Search Preferences to Best and while it takes a few seconds longer to find a match, I find my hits register smoothly and I get little to none lag.

DISCLAIMER: This worked for myself, I have no idea what kind of connection you might have but it doesn't hurt to try. I was about ready to quit playing online, and this assisted me greatly in finding enjoyment with this game. Now, if I get killed, it relies solely on my skill and aim (or lack thereof, hehe) but not on external circumstances like net hookup.

Hope it helps.