40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 2:01 PM by deamonomic RSS

Host Lag caused by Anti Cheat measures?

Could this be the reason why some people experiencing Host lag? Cheats only work when being Host, does this game run some security measures while being Host? could be a possibility for Host lag.

Your thoughts?

• Re: Host Lag caused by Anti Cheat measures?

No you're thinking into it too much...

You know if you're being lag switched...you meet someone..screen jerks...you die...simples

Lag switches can be used by non-hosts too. It allowed them to look around corners, and when they stop it, it snaps them back to where they are.

Who knows, in the past, you had to be host to use a lag switch, but from what I've read, they work for ppl not hosting in bo2. It's not the same freeze effect, but I believe it basically manipulates the "lag comp" to their advantage, similar to the "throttling" idea. I don't know if security measures are doing it, but something is definitely handicapping the hosts 85 to 95% of the time. And that's a step up from the beginning when it was 100% of the time for me.  Getting host= death sentence

I have no clue about all the lag switching stuff to be honest, never used it and i have no interest in trying it out.

I was more thinking about the jtag and infection menü, lobbies etc. CoD4 and WaW are plagued with it and they also work on MW2 as far as i know from youtube etc. the old games don't have the security features and they don't have Host lag. The new games have security features and Host lag.

The only reason i mentioned lag switching was because its the only cheat that works with being host...

Jtags and anything else cant be done for more than 20 mins before its detected and stopped now-a-days

The reason lag comp is messed up on modern cods is that it has to deal with so many players messing with their connections and new routers that can throttle connections and so on...

If everyone didnt try to get some sort of advantage with their connection i gaurantee that we wouldnt even notice lag comp....

Ps. I get host some nights and i can honestly say it improves things for me....?

I agree, I have often wondered if a large part of the problem was all the little "throttlers" I prefer to call them cheaters, doing anything they can to gain an advantage over everyone else. Lets face it, no matter what they do, the douchebags are gonna find a way. And if the signals are jacked all out of proportion, it's bound to cause problems.

When people get banned after 20min, then why is CoD4 and WaW so infected with all the cheaters? because the game doesn't have the security features. No protection from infected lobbies and all the stuff. Even the developers have admit it that the new CoDs have security features and the old don't.

You're right.

It doesn't matter if someone gets banned after 20min or not. Thats is not the point, the point is the old CoDs don't have so much security features like the new ones, i haven't seen one cheater in Black Ops 2 yet but when i put CoD4 or WaW into my xbox then i join a hacked lobby.

The security checks don't have to be active all the time, it can be activated automatically when something is suspicious like you doing to well, we don't know how the security features work in Black Ops 2 but it could be a possibility for causing Host Lag.

Very well could be, that could also explain why sometimes you go into a match and start out doing well, then it's almost like a switch going off midway through the match and you can't buy a kill. You start off doing well, the system red flags you, the security turns on, and poof, your getting handicapped.

You could be right there?...I honestly havent a clue though..

I would of thought that everyone is being screened, not just the host of a game...

Imo its just cus host has to accept everyones info and work with it so it can change and vary with player to player...

Host is different in blops 2...it picks host for the best connection for everyone to connect with each other, its not about who has the best connection anymore...

Ive played a whole night once, getting host every match and im playing with mates that have super elite fibre optic blah blah blah broadband, so its picking my normal adsl BB over fast optic BB because mine can distribute the connection of the whole room better....get it..

I love getting host but its only cus i dont have "amazing" broadband

Its just a theory, not proven facts.

I agree with the Host has changed, it picks the average connection as host instead of the best, i've noticed it as well.

When i am Host then my first match is running fine and i mostly end up being the top player, i have a 4 bar when i open the scoreboard at the start of the match. Next match i am Host again but then i only have a 3 bar as Host at the start of the match? thats what i never understood, how can i be Host with 3 bar connection, i know i am Host because i am the only one in the game and countdown starts with 14. Then the third match my connection at the start is 4 bar again but it feels like a 2bar as Host LOL?, i don't get it. Its like then longer i am Host then more handicap i get.

There is so many friggin things going on in the backround now-a-days that who knows whats going on?

There is now this live stream which has to affect connections wildly and game recording, people using laptops and facebook, youtube all  the time...

Too many things going on in the shadows in online gaming now...it doesnt surprise me that everyne complains about lag...

I agree, i miss the days where everyone has turned off all the other things like computer running in background etc. to get the better connection in the game, a good connection meant something, now many people try to make their connection bad on purpose to get a advantage, this all got out of hand if you ask me.

No doubt, what ever happened to..... You had a bad connection, YOU lagged. Not you have a bad connection, lets make everyone else lag. In all the previous cods, I could tell immediately when my signal was drained, the game became unplayable for me. Now seems no matter what's going on with my signal, I never notice it. That cannot be right. If you got a crap signal, YOU should suffer, not everyone else.

Agreed.

The Internet simply has not kept up with Internet use over the years.  And it is beginning to show.

It is shameful that (at least in the United States) fiber optic internet is not available in every state and every neighborhood.

We should all have gigabit connections by now (<B google), but the lack of competition between ISPs has-metaphorically speaking-kept us in the Stone Age.

nflfenatic

fibre optic allows more information meaning higher bandwidth but copper wire the signal travels faster allowing better ping times. Since games use very little bandwidth copper wire is actually better than fibre optics. Also someone earlier stated they were host with 3 bar. If you have that bad of connection to yourself everyone else would have been 2 or 1 bar and the host would migrate. When choosing host the game picks the player who has the best connection to everyone else in the lobby.

PerEverto13

Ok im confused, how the hell does a signal trnsfer faster through a copper wire than a light based signal through fiber optic? As a mechanic i can tell you there is jo way i know of that this couls be true. Copper has an inherit eesistance measured in ohms, fiber optic and light do not. Maybe im missing something but that just doesnt add up...

maccabi

PerEverto13 wrote:

Ok im confused, how the hell does a signal trnsfer faster through a copper wire than a light based signal through fiber optic? As a mechanic i can tell you there is jo way i know of that this couls be true. Copper has an inherit eesistance measured in ohms, fiber optic and light do not. Maybe im missing something but that just doesnt add up...

nflfenatic is completely correct adsl has lower latency than cable.Adsl is a better connection for gaming

the actual transmission speed of data (not bandwidth but time it takes data to go from one place to another)  between the two is about the same cable does not transmit data at the speed of light (popular misconception in fact its nowhere near the speed of light.

as the poster stated the only real difference between cable and adsl is cable can hold more bandwidth thats it.

Another reason Adsl is better for gaming is connection ratios and the infrastructure of connections cable has alot more shared cabling in streets this impacts latency especially at peak times.

PerEverto13

So copper has a lower transfer (ping) time than fibre optic? Why is it then my buddy with fibre optic into his house pings around 8MS at around 500 miles and mine pings around 44-50 on the same server? We also have the same ISP just different packages.

And if i understood correctly your saying fibre optic does not transfer at the speed of light?

starbuckfrack

FixBlops2 wrote:

When people get banned after 20min, then why is CoD4 and WaW so infected with all the cheaters? because the game doesn't have the security features. No protection from infected lobbies and all the stuff. Even the developers have admit it that the new CoDs have security features and the old don't.

Not only that but those games are no longer supported now. Microsoft will ban those players. When a new hack comes out Microsoft start joining in games and catching those players.

deamonomic

starbuckfrack wrote:

FixBlops2 wrote:

Not only that but those games are no longer supported now. Microsoft will ban those players. When a new hack comes out Microsoft start joining in games and catching those players.

the cheaters and hackers move in like sharks when a game loses the support of the developers, why? because in our world, it is fact, that it is only a matter of time. Every time a new way to exploit the system opens up, the developers close it off with a hotfix/patch. But when the game is no longer supported they no longer close those holes. as such the cheaters have free reign. Go onto BO 1 now and you will more find cheaters then you did when the game was supported.

It's possible I guess.  The host is running a server on his xbox in addition to the game itself so if it was processing more than it could handle, it could affect time sensitive threads like hit detection.  I assume the game itself would get priority over the server so as not to affect the host's framerate.

Who knows?

CowboySr

Lag is actually caused by alien aircraft entering and leaving airspace within a certain distance of your home. They use magnetic and ultra low frequency bandwidth communication systems that interfere with all forms of both wireless, satellite and grounded cable connections.

Now can we stop with this!