1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 99 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 3:01 PM by bkblazer Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    Datura

The only thing out of control is peoples inability to understand that what determines a "quality" connection. An 2down/1up stable ADSL connection with no traffic management with an ISP that isn't over subscribed on a line tested and verified to have no jitter/packet loss issues will be superior to your average punters 50down/20up fibre line when it comes to gaming.

So many have been suckered by the marketing BS by companies selling "higher quality" fibre/large bandwidth lines.

• 91. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    CurliestRogue0

How can I know definitively when I am host?

• 92. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    Datura

CurliestRogue0 wrote:

How can I know definitively when I am host?

The lame method used by most is during a match, while getting owned by the opposing side you must ragequit and hope to see a "Host Migration" screen for a moment upon exit, this indicates you were host. You can then use it as a scapegoat to deny admittance of your own shortcomings against better players and/or dealing with fixing your problematic broadband line. The massive flaw in this method is that it's indiscriminate i.e. it doesn't account for the glaringly obvious fact that you were getting your ass handed to you full stop, irrespective of your percieved notion that your under some magical "Host Disadvantage".

But then what is a moaner to do if you ragequit and were NOT the host??! What can I blame then??

Dont worry! If you ragequit and found you were NOT host then you can also summon the legendary "Lag Comp" excuse as an alternative scapegoat and continue your cycle of denial. It is optional to moan about it later on the forums, but it's kind of satisfying because theres plenty of others doing the same and you can all circle jerk about it together in posts like this. Enjoy! 

• 93. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!

I'll try this without a personal attack:

I believe you hit the scoreboard at the earliest possible point when a round starts and you should have 4 bars and everyone else should have less or the connecting symbol.

• 94. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    Datura

Err it clearly wasn't a personal attack on him or anyone in particular, it's an accurate reflection of what many people do with a hint of humour. The proper method is to check your router data transfer rates if it supports it. Most can't because they're on the junk ISP issued gear, and you wonder why they experience issues and blame the game eh.

• 95. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    bkblazer

Ok, so I'm assuming you don't believe being host can sometimes put some people at a disadvantage. Maybe because you haven't experienced it, or maybe you have. You certainly seem to know a whole lot about what people are experiencing and the excuses they make. Technically I don't know much about connection, ping, or "problematic broadband lines". All I can compare BO2 multiplayer to, are past CoD titles which I never experienced this type of problem. Until you play the game at my place, and find yourself in one of the few host disadvantage games I find myself in, please don't refer to threads like this as a circle jerk. Trust me, I'ld love to be one of the people that don't believe in the so called "lag comp".

• 96. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    Treloise

Lag comp is a big issue for me.  Tbh a few weeks back they seam to fix it for me for a week or so but since this new patch it is unplayable! My clan leader snapped his bo 2 disk two days ago and will never buy another cod game because of how unstable this game is. Give me all the crap you want but I easily held down a 3 kd and 3 w/l is blops 1 yet people with 0.6 kd can beat the **** out of me on this game in 8/10 games i play with this stupid lag comp crap. Also, its nothing to do with what internet anyone has, theres people in my clan with 100 mb fibre optic and peope with 1 mb, and we are all experiencing the same! Also if it's not down to connection its funny how I jumped on blops 1 for a few games after being fed up of the lag and went 30 -2 and 57-7 in 2 games of sabotage!

• 97. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    Datura

bkblazer wrote:

Ok, so I'm assuming you don't believe being host can sometimes put some people at a disadvantage. Maybe because you haven't experienced it, or maybe you have. You certainly seem to know a whole lot about what people are experiencing and the excuses they make. Technically I don't know much about connection, ping, or "problematic broadband lines". All I can compare BO2 multiplayer to, are past CoD titles which I never experienced this type of problem. Until you play the game at my place, and find yourself in one of the few host disadvantage games I find myself in, please don't refer to threads like this as a circle jerk. Trust me, I'ld love to be one of the people that don't believe in the so called "lag comp".

Its a common mistake to cite past CODs as an example of perfection. It has been going on for years now as each new COD is released a new generation of posters claim the previous title was perfect. But there is a flaw in this logic because it ignores the patching process that improved the older game for most over time. BO2 is still in the earlier lifecyle stage, it's still being optimised to accomodate the new player population which brings with it new hosts, new connections etc. This process is unavoidable and despite peoples belief that "it's the same game every year" the coding is obviously different and it all has to be rinsed and repeated every time. Next year hoardes will invade forums shouting BO2 was perfect and COD X is a mess and the same old conspiracy theories and crackpot fixes will return in abundance, I absolutely gaurantee this.

The problems many are talking I have experienced with MW3, instakills ie being killed in one bullet before I can react with a quickdraw SMG to dim witted LMG wielding opponents, emptying mags into people/bullet sponges and so on. Hosting was a nightmare as well. But in the end it had nothing to do with the user-generated theories of "lag comp" and "host disadvantage", I knew the moment I read tech articles on the topic and realised people didn't know what the hell they were talking about (a little bit of critical thinking really pays off rather than listening to the book-dodging hoards, more should try it). So I carried out the following during my crappy time with MW3 before I found out my problems were due to an MM issue identified quite early on by IW:

• Changing ISP to one which categorically does not have any Traffic Shaping Policy - gaming uses TCP/UDP packets (predominantly UDP) which Torrents also use. ISP TS systems do not discriminate and will nerf such transmissions regardless. Many avoid investigating this.
    • Ensuring I am not with an oversubscribed ISP with shoddy routing.
    • I do not have any "ping lowering" gimmicks that ISPs offer which simply destabilise data transmission i.e. disabled interleaving/gaming mode/fastpath.
    • Buying my own router over the ISP provided crap. ISP hardware is always irrefutably sub-standard.
    • Port forward for open NAT etc.
    • Always playing on an unclogged household network and ensure the xbox is hardwired to the router.
    • Asking the ISP to run line tests over a period of time to monitor jitter/packet loss etc.
    • Ensuring my internal wiring is up to scratch.

After the MM issue was hastily patched after a million TU's, MW3 finally became consistently playable around July/August 2012. Additionally the measures I took also led to BO2 running fine pretty much right off the bat whether I'm host or not. Issues are only felt if playing very late at night or when the host is crap (everyone 2/3barring etc). You can choose to blame the game, believe the tinfoil hat theories and endlessly rage on this forum or you can take action on your end. Investigating the above will only benefit you. 

• 98. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!
    bkblazer

Well thank you for turning this "circle jerk" into a place of experience and information. Truthfully, a lot of the technical jargon is over my head but I'm learning. What I meant by referencing "the past CoD's" was playing MW3 on the exact same setup and connection that I am now. I personally was very frustrated with MW3 for the first 2 or 3 months but blammed only myself.

I find myself being host a lot. Most of the time I'm not bothered by it. But other times, like the game I just raged from, before I even get time to pull the trigger, I'm dead. I'm really not one to complain. I will truely take all responsibility for being an inferior player and die like a man, when its a technically even gun fight. But the respawn system and being host in BO2 has really brought out the worst in me. And where else to go but here. Thanks.

• 99. Re: Host lag comp is out of control!

You can talk all the bs you want, but the fact is, there is something amiss and whether or not you believe it it is there. So here you come with the usual "it's all your fault" garbage. Funny thing is, with all your statements, you offer no "proof". That's right son, that "proof" thing works both ways. I have my proof almost every time I play the game. That proof is the fact that I can tell the difference after each update and fix, luckily for me it's getting better. Unfortunately this is not so for some, as they have given their proof on multiple occasions. So, show me proof that your not having problems, and that the fact your not, is simply because you've manipulated your signal to be on the good side, or should I say godmode side of the comp. I suspect the latter.

1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next