30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 7:51 PM by FleurDeLilly RSS

Assault Shield discussion.

ChronoZombie

The riot shield in MW2 was a lot of fun and while it was so very slow, it did easily block tons of bullets.  I could park in front of a sentry gun, or distract a harrier jet with no fear of dying from them.

In MW3 it was virtually useless at blocking, but it did get rank upgrades like the guns, allowing for faster melee recovery or faster sprinting- unfortunately you could not continue to level the shield to a point where you get both, as both were really necessary.  Still, these were welcome improvements.

Now in BO2, it is somewhat better but still very flawed.  Obviously, the hit box for melee attacks is so small that you miss more than any other shield in previous games, and this really needs to be addressed, but it is worse than just that.  The window cracks and becomes opaque much too quickly, so that any time you miss a melee attack the enemy has shot the window and you are now effectively blind running around in circles, and the enemy simply reloads, gets behind you and kills you.  Also, the blocking is very sub par compared to the MW2 shield- I can't survive an enemy sentry gun or chopper for one second, while in MW2 I could wait out a harrier until it flew away, providing my teammates time to shoot it down, or simply being a decoy so they don't get shot.

The shield window needs to regenerate, (assuming it really needs to crack at all).  It is the future, and they have the beginnings of self repairing polymers now, and, oh yeah, it is a video game, so I don't give a damn if it is realistic.  It needs to be usable.  Our health regenerates to maximum in 30 seconds, we can't have a plastic window that fixes itself?

My shield is already gold, but the difference is whether or not I will use it for fun now that I am done with it.  I had a permanent shield class in MW2, even though it made you run much too slow.  It was still very fun for objectives and for trolling harriers.

Also, I think they need to get creative with attachments.  I always wished the MW2 shield had a wrist-mounted heartbeat sensor as an attachment, and that could still work in BO2.  The other thing, of course, is simply making the whole window an MMS scanner, but I like the idea of a unique attachment.  Speaking of MMS, our scopes never crack, so why should the shield?

This isn't about making anything OP, just more fun and interesting, and in some cases more like the way it used to work.  I always wanted the black band on the shield to get camo, so I am pretty happy that finally happened, along with camo for secondaries.

Finally,

I really wish the shield's melee attack used the right trigger.

I have been wanting to use the trigger to attack since the shield came into existence, as the thumbsticks are not ideal.  The new combat knife uses this, and that is great, so the shield should have as well.  The thumbstick should be used to deploy the shield with trigger to attack.

• Re: Assault Shield discussion.

i currently have a class set up for riot sheild, and ill use it when i feel like screwin around.. the sheild has alot of problems

bullets going threw my sheild!!!

ive seen this multiple times, so ill check the kill came.. maybe they caught a peice of my body, ill check it and the enemy is shooting dead center in my sheild and i die

the swap needs to be faster while using smg's or overkill.. the swap in general needs to be alot quicker, throwing c4 or rquipment out leave you vulnerable for that second it take to throw whatever.

melee attack also needs to be wayy faster.. needs to be like bang.bang... not... bang....bang

LordPookums

I think they are shooting your body edge(though there could be another issue).

The shield is actually tiny. You can easily hit your opponent. I actually love when players plant a shield 100feet away and stand behind it expecting they are invulnerable. If you aim at its edge you will hit your opponent almost 100% of the time. And they never bother moving so you tend to get the kill. Headshots are also easy to setup cause their head is always dead center.

Shield is useless. Nice idea...but bad implementation. Maybe if there were a laser barrier allowing the shield bearer to shoot from one direction but block from another, then it would work. Atm, its easy pickings for the opponent.

when using the riot sheild i always the kill cam to see how they killed me, alot of the times the caught a corner or the side of the sheild and in return i died, however i watched the kill came where he was shooting dead center of the sheild and i died, didnt make any sense

LordPookums

Possibly recoil on one of the shots?

It could be the shield has even more issues with bullets then just its size and the bullet broke through. It is possible bullets occasionally penetrate anyways...it still might be a stray bullet from recoil though. Sometimes I get lucky with recoil on shields and I hear the enemy complain about bullet penetration when in reality I saw that I got lucky with the recoil of my gun for a 2-bullet headshot, but it was really quick and easy to miss...and the gun jerk + bullet collision effects certainly doesn't help showing what happned.

I wonder if anyone has some good videos on the subject. It would be nice to know if there are any problems that aren't mere luck.

slap1i

If you stand still or slow-walk, and keep the shield lined up with your opponent, no bullets will get through.  The moment you sprint, or hit a RB/LB, you expose yourself to damage.  The real key is to keep the shield lined up...

r33k

dont know if its a glitch or not, but i have EMP'd myself by accident a few times while holding the sheild and the glass regenerated.

its the worst when you are behind lighting(facing away from sun) and you have cracks. simply cannot see at all.

JSlayer211

Right trigger for attack DEFINITELY needs to happen, you simply MUST crouch when using the shield if you plan to live. So to attack you have to take your hands off the thumbstick and that spells disaster when you need to maintain center to live. No matter the button layout you must take your hand off the stick unless you have some claw like controller holding method.

Also remove the vent at the bottom of the assault shield. That is retarded that it is even there in the first place, as you can still be shot through that vent on the bottom of the shield.

Window regeneration has been LONG overdue as that makes no earthly sense why it doesn't. I have however had instances yesterday (I should review theatre mode) but my shield was regnerated on some random instances when changing screens. Whenever I used Hellstorm missle it seemed to have cleared. I am not certain and like I said need to check my theatre later.

FTLOG they need to do something about knifing through the shield as well. I cannot tell you how many times, I have gotten knifed directly through the front of my shield. I could not believe they would allow something so stupid to be done.

Your thread seems direct and to the heart of riot shield users though, they are definitely getting the short end of the stick.

MrCoates28210

I agree with every point you made, they should make it bigger too.

Was a nightmare getting it gold in its current state.

slap1i

There is no doubt that you're at a disadvantage with the Assault Shield, but there is definitely a technique for using it to deflect bullets.  I've found that as long as you crouch, walk don't run, and keep the imaginary reticule (where you crosshairs would normally be, center of screen) directly on your opponent, they are unable to shoot through the shield.  The moment you sprint, RB/LB, or allow your reticule to drift to the side of your opponent, you will will be open to take damage.  Obviously, this takes some patience.

I finally got the shield to prestige 2 this week, so I'm able to add my emblem.  I use the shield to push hard for the objectives in Demolition, and I've been racking up plants/defuses like crazy.  Switching to your secondary before laying prone while planting/defusing will allow the shield to protect my back, leaving very little exposed.

There is definitely room for improvement with the shield, but it seems to be balanced where it needs to be without being borderline OP, which it could very easily be.  I think a self-repairing window wouldn't throw the balance off too much...

Myramuff

lol. since my KD is already going down the drain, i think i should try using the riot shield too. what is the best set up for a riot shield? holla~

slap1i

Here is my Assault Shield Class:

Riot Shield

Preferred Pistol

Lightweight / Flak Jacket

Fast Hands

Extreme Conditioning

Combat Axe

Tactical Insertion

Perk 1 Greed

* for completing bash kill challenges, sub concussion grenades/shock charges for the TI, and PLAY HARDCORE!

CowboySr

OP makes valid points. I also hate the thumbstick as a trigger, as I run a tactical layout and hitting B is pointless.

JSlayer211

I have been revisiting my assault shield class as of late as being a pain in the neck for the enemy can be fun sometimes. However, I find that I am not that much of a pain in the neck with it in this game vs MW3. It literally seems as though everything kills you with this thing. The other day I was standing next to a teammate facing an enemy, I had full health and he shoots the remington one time. It not only killed my teammate near me, but me aswell in a single shot. At that point I was thinking what is the fricken point of having the shield on? Needless to say I was facing the enemy full centered on my screen.

Yesterday I stood in a doorway with the shield, THERE WAS NO WAY AROUND ME. There were 2 guys in the building and they just poured bullets into the sheild. Needless to say they cut through it like a hot knife through butter. Again, what is the fricken point? Unless you have FMJ there should be absolutely 0 bullet penetration. Even with FMJ direct impact to the shield should be minimal. This is only when equipped that it should have maximum resistance, when planted in the ground it should not maintain the same bullet resistance.

Jumping enemies is also undefendable with the shield. I have had instances of an enemy jumping and I maintained center view of him through the air, yet and still in the kill cam he has a clear shot at the top of my head as though the shields positioning never changed to reflect my upward aiming of the shield.

Everytime I get shot directly in the middle of the shield and die, a part of me rages lol. It's almost like wearing a sign that reads, "FREE STREAK BOOST HERE!"

P.S.- What the frick is up with the reduction in blocked points if someone shoots at you too much? Goes from 25 to 10 in like a heartbeat. Who in the world decided that was a good idea? Believe me, once the points start getting to 10 you are almost dead anyway. I guess that is supposed to be some kind of half azzed anti-boosting method along with 0 points for blocking a sentry gun or chopper. Speaking of which, how the hell does a chopper shoot you from 3 different directions? That is just a joke.

ChronoZombie

I am fairly sure there is no penetration at all, even with FMJ.  I just tested this the other day in HC KC, shooting an FMJ Scar at my own teammate.    I made sure he stood still and I fired carefully into the middle of the shield.

The problem there is more than likely the fact that the shield doesn't cover all of you and there seems to be no such thing as a graze in this game.  I am pretty sure earlier games had more body zones with greater reduction in damage for hitting extremities.  Also, of course, the fact that what you see is not at all what is actually happening most of the time.  That guy you thought was right in front of you looks like he was in a different place entirely in the kill cams, which sadly affects the shield users more than anyone else.

I don't often plant the shield, so I have little experience with that.  From what I have seen while shooting at those behind behind a deployed shield, I can't shoot through it and it doesn't appear to break until they die.  Again, I haven't done much with the deployed shield, so I'm not claiming any insight there.

I didn't realize blocking sentries or choppers granted no points, which is a shame, but I have never survived one long enough to guess that.  Being a Human Target (which was my shield class name in MW2 and 3) and absorbing bullets to keep your team alive is one of the benefits of giving up a gun, points should be liberally granted for its use.

JSlayer211

I watched a video just earlier How to get a Gold Assault Shield on Youtube and I forgot the posters name, but at the end he shows clips of him getting shot directly in the middle of the shield and dying LOTS. I have had this happen several times myself. Honestly, I understand when people say that what's on the Killcam isn't 100% accurate, but it cannot be that far off that what's in the Killcam is totally invalid. Also just from a FPS PoV, it's obvious when you are being shot in the shield and die. If you want to test this further, have your friend crouch walk to you and shoot at the base of the shield. HE WILL DIE. Gun selection is also important to consider imo vs the assault shield as different guns react differently to the shield. Shotty users will **** the shielder, hip fire smg will ****, LMG will ****, and AR aimed low (whether you are crouched or not) will ****, RPG direct impact will **** (even if you have flak jacket), Crossbow direct impact will 2 shot you if you have flak jacket on (don't know about without as I always run flak with shield). I was thinking about doing some testing for personal knowledge but made a request for Drift0r to hit it with an in depth. Those guys really have the time and game knowledge to do it properly.

I don't really care what part of the shield that is being shot, if you are shooting the shield it should not kill me. You can literally just hip fire spray the crap out of a shielder and kill them 90% of the time. When I see a shotty user, I just auto know what time it is. Remington Vs. Assault Shield is game over, I don't care how good anyone may think they are with the shield you will die. They don't have to do tricky maneuvers to get around you, just shoot you straight on and watch you faint and laugh.

Hmm- Seems the word R8pe is censored. Fill in the blanks.

slap1i

I'm not saying the shield blocks all bullets 100% of the time, but if you keep the shield aimed directly at the person shooting you while you're crouched, you won't die.  On occasion, a shot to the feet may take you down, but most bullets can be stopped the majority of the time as long as you keep your aim centered.  The shield seems to work as designed, it's just not easy to use.

ChronoZombie

I agree with you, of course- the failure of the shield to effectively and block is one of the reasons I started the thread in the first place.  I just hip fire spray to let stray, lucky bullets take out shield users, which is pretty stupid, and makes it seem that the bullets are curving around, but that is a problem in the greater game as a whole, such as being killed around corners.

As far as crossbow goes, I don't know about flak jacket, but sticking the shield with the bolt is a one shot kill, and I kind of love that.  As broken as the shield is, the crossbow still needs some love.  Crossbow being the counter to the shield is awesome and fun.  Everything else getting past the shield is lame.

Shooting at the feet of the shield user is a normal tactic, which of course leads me to look down and expose my head.

slap1i

If the enemy is moving laterally, while hip fire spraying, eventually they will get the angle on you.  Most people don't do that, and they will lay into the center of your shield hoping something sneaks through, which it won't if you keep the shield lined up.  They will have to reload eventually, and that's when I'll pounce with either a combat axe, or five seven.

I'm not arguing that the shield is going to be an effective way of posting a great K/D, but it's fun and can be used effectively if you know what you're doing.  It's a novely weapon.

xmrythem

i've been using the shield now for 2 nights in both HC KC and HC CTF. I have 86 kills with it. I average about 8-12 kills a game with it. this is by far easier than the executioner. I was expecting something really painful to do, but this is actually very easy.

just use flak jacket

scavenger / fast hands

tac mask

shield

2 shock chargers

whetever else fills your 10

just use the shock charges on people around corner or wait in a corner for them to run by. Very easy, you just can't play like you have an SMG.

ChronoZombie

My shield is diamond now, and it was pretty easy to get gold for it.  The problem is that it is not as effective as it should be, which means it just isn't funenough to use now that I am done with it.

JSlayer211

I negated your whole post because you said use flak jacket in HC. That is the most wasteful of a perk if I have ever seen it in HC. HC it is a 1 shot kill but so are most of the guns. If you have 86 kills in 2 nights with only shield bashes I would assume you accumulated 1000 deaths.

slap1i

You must be terrible with the shield if you assume that many deaths.  While golding my shield, I would typically run a 1.0 k/d playing HC going for bash kills.  Flak Jacket with the shield is necessary, as a grenade/semtex/C4 can end your fun in no time without it.  Clearly, you don't know what you're doing.

JSlayer211

LOL you guys are nuts if you think Flak Jacket helps you in any way in HC. I can C4 you and get the kill 10 of 10 if you come at me with a shield and flak jacket in HC. Unless they have nerfed explosive damage in HC since I last played I think you guys are full of it.

I wish I had a video recording software as I would join any of your games and watch you go majorly negative against competent players in HC. Whomever you were playing against was just not good if you are doing so great with the shield in HC. HC is LOTS easier for bashing kills but as I said so are all the guns. It's really relative as their values stay the same almost considering the differences.

Even without explosives I can hipfire destroy any shielder in HC, takes no effort whatsoever. Being bashed to death in HC is the LEAST of my worries.

to the op.

if you change the controller setup to the tactical setting. it swaps the b button with the right stick click, and it works a lot better.

ChronoZombie

I learned about the tactical set up during MW3, but have never tried it myself.  I feel like I've been playing so long that I won't be able to adjust to the change.  Also, this would make crouching more difficult, and crouching is integral to shield use.  I should try it out.

If the thumbstick were the deploy button and the trigger was for melee it would be perfect, but it isn't that way.  I'll just live with it until the next game, because i doubt they'd ever make a change to it.  i wonder how hard would it be to make control schemes more customizable.  Maybe next gen will give us more options in that regard.

JSlayer211

I tried that button layout before and as I described earlier, it still results in you moving your thumb from the stick and maintaining the vital center view of the target. You will definitely get killed either way, its a lose lose situation.

slap1i

Seems like this clip fits in this discussion 

JSlayer211

LOL I don't know if it's my terrible work internet but that doesn't look like HC to me. Also, Tomahawks are not shield kills. Try again. Flak Jacket in Core is vital, in HC it is useless. The end.

slap1i

Your connection is fine, this clip is from core.  I posted it because it's just a fun clip with the shield.

I don't understand how you can say Flak Jacket is useless in HC.  I use if for the same reason I would in core, to prevent explosive damage.  Is it less useful in HC?  Perhaps, but that's not to say is totally useless.  C4 isn't the best example, as it carries a bigger boom than the rest, but it's also less popular that frags & semtex.

FleurDeLilly

Great ideas on the Shield attachments. I too wonder why the damn thing has to crack at all.