17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 5:43 PM by Mookdogg RSS

PS4...only 8GB of ram?

ColdChilln88

That's what the specs said doesn't this seem low or am I missing something

• Re: PS4...only 8GB of ram?
    ab36

That's not that low really (it's actually a pretty solid amount, especially for most PC/Mac users). Maybe you're mixing RAM up with hard drive space? Because the hard drive will likely be in the multiple hundreds of GB lol (not insinuating that you don't know what you're talking about lol just that a lot of people tend to mix up the two, so if you aren't mixing them up well I don't think 8 GM is that low still)

ghamorra

The playstation isn't a PC or MAC, it just a dedicated gaming console. All the extra stuff like apps are going to be a form of browser based application so you don't need RAM for that.

Really there's not going to be much multi-tasking so you don't need 16 or 32 gb of RAM. The processor is something like 2.7ghz I think, that's crazy fast and will probably be 50-60% of the cost alone. The GPU is obviously going to be kickass and will amount to another 20-30% of the price. That's were the meat of the PS4 will come from

well woodysgamertag said the ps3 only had 2 quarter gig ram chips or something like that in his old rumor video

greaTm

8 gigs is pretty low for a next gen in my opinion, yea right now its a crazy amount for a console but what about in the next 5-7 years. 12 - 16 would seem more realistic for the years down the road. on the other hand i guess if they go with SSD that could act as ram. You can never have enough RAM.

Ghamorra your right in a way, but people want more from there consoles everyday...Netflix,hulu. MLB and so on. The future will no doubt bring more programs that people will want there systems to do.

scoop121578

how is a GDDR5 8 GIG Unified RAM low. pc's dont even have this if u look at the tech specs that got release the ps4 is a monster. ps3 only has 1/16th of that RAM this is why alot of the dev's are jumping onto the ps4. its easier to work with then the cell processer in ps3. the ceo of epic games "gears of war" said we sent a letter to console makers about the spec we want on next gen sony answered.  Spec wise the ps4 might just compete with pc gaming. and there's a mysterious AUX input in the back of the ps4 maybe hardware upgrades idk.

considdering the ps3 only has 512 mb and that was split in two for video and other processes id say its a massive leap and 8gb is plenty,its a games console not a pc

BanHaMMer

ColdChilln88 wrote:

That's what the specs said doesn't this seem low or am I missing something

It is more complicated than it sounds, you won't be wanting of RAM.

Izjar11

Ahhh welcome to the OT threads! haha

From an engineering perspective, it's a remarkable achievement. Sony itself doesn't fabricate memory, it buys from major suppliers who advertise the parts available months (sometimes years) ahead of delivery, so we have a decent idea of what options the platform holders have on the table in creating their next-gen systems. The GDDR5 memory modules - the same used in PC graphics cards - are only available in certain configurations, with the densest option available offering 512MB per module. The startling reality is that unless Sony has somehow got access to a larger chip that isn't yet in mass production and that nobody knows about, it has crammed 16 memory modules onto its PS4 motherboard. To illustrate the extent of the achievement, Nvidia's $1000 graphics card - the GeForce Titan - offers "just" 6GB of onboard GDDR5.

WhiskeyDex

Everyone is forgetting this is DDR5. 8gb is a massivly huge amount for gaming. More than anyone besides top hollywood special f/x guys would ever need in a PC as well. I am still on 6gb of ddr3 and i see absolutely no reason to upgrade it, and i do some video editing.

Does anyone realize how much 8GB really is....

Skyrim had a 4GB limit, and I ran so many HD 4096x4096 texture mods on it, plus so many other mods...

With 8GB, there really will be no limit!

MAG 2 FTW!!!

Hello,

Yes indeed i know how much 8 GB is. Im learning on school game design , i only need 8 gb of ram to develop games on with enginges like ( udk , cryengine ) , i don´t need any more it will become useless if you want to upgrade it to an higher ammount. The playstation os doesin´t need a lot of memmory to run on. Windows is an big framework with a lot of background processes and things that require at last 2 gb of ram.

Playstation deverloppers have enought with the 8gb , whe should be very excited about this cause the newest zombie mode on the ps4 will have a lot of reduced ( math lag - out of memmory problems. Whe have 4 times more the bandwith and the power to play on !

Greetings.