45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 5:21 PM by jeepchick RSS

What happened to “Good Game”?

BlackhawkbillOO7

What happened to “Good Game”?

It used to be (way back in the day during the Modern Warfare, World at War, and MW2 era) that when you got into a lobby with your team you could have some fun dialogue with the opposing team. You could kid around and joke a little with the other team before the match started. Then when the match was over you might have a couple of folks on the losing team that were a little upset, venting about the match, but not getting carried away with it. You might have a rematch against them or a tiebreaker, but all in all, everyone was competing and having fun and at the end of it all everyone would say “Good Game” to each other and go to the next lobby or match.

Now days it’s a bunch of ME, ME, ME’s (these are the players that don’t play for a team win but rather for their stats), or the Spawn Trappers that play to build their kill stats versus going for the win, or my personal favorite the Deflector (this is the guy you hear in your headset when you kill him who calls you a camper even though you were in a full sprint when you killed him, or lag switcher because he was on the crappy side of the connection when he died, or a cheater because you killed him and your team won).

What went wrong? Why has it evolved into such an almost “hate-fest” in the lobbies? I’m not talking about the typical; my team is going to kick your teams’ @ss. I’m talking about the teams now days that get into a lobby and just start throwing racial slurs, calling you every name in the book, all before the first round starts. Then when you start beating them they change from all the smack talking to accusing you of being a cheater. Or if they win it’s an “in your face you suck rant”.  I don’t get offended by it but it’s disturbing to me to see how good sportsmanship declined so rapidly. It’s disturbing that people would play a video game to get pissed off at other people rather than to have fun with it. 

I play Call of Duty because it’s a great way to stay in touch with Army buddies and old friends located all over the states. We can hop online, chat it up, and have fun together even though we may be thousands of miles apart. We’re all adults who still say “Good Game” at the end of every match.

I’m really just curious to see if anyone who has played COD for a while noticed the same trend?

Thank you for your time.

• Re: What happened to “Good Game”?
    iEXTERMINATED

Cod has become a babysitter

matuzz

At least on PC there isn't a single match where in the end no one would say GG.

I guess its then different in consoles.

If you look at my activity you can see that ive said this over 10-12 times its not the game, or the guns, it the community, i feel that as soon as i turn on that playstation im going to be confronted with 10 year old ragers who feel the need to win every game, thats why i stoped with call of duty, and whent and bought myself an N64 of ebay with 4 seperate donkey kong games, the good old days.

BlackhawkbillOO7

I've run into the kiddie ragers but I expect them to act like dipsh_ts. If a parent feels comfortable letting their child put on a headset and play a game that is Rated M then I expect the kid to be a product of their environment.

I'm talking about the 20 and up crowd that act like idiots.

No one ever loses a game by being simply outplayed that round.

People just "cheat", are "cheap", or "camp", that's the only way they win.

The excuse train has replaced losing graciously.

Sign of the times, I am afraid.

I remember playing Tribes while riding my Stegosaurus and at the end of every match it would always be a GG flood.

HaitianCreation

I was going to make a post like this the other day, it seems like a lot of the time if I lose a game players will be like oh you lost a game you're a hacker you're not a real master prestige, same thing happens if I go negative. When I win a game I will rarely talk trash unless the people were talking trash to me in the pre game lobby. I love those close games where both teams have a mutual respect for each other and can say good game, although this doesn't happen very much, I don't know if it's the fault of the matchmaking or what but it seems like a lot of games are blowouts instead of close games resulting in the winners saying how bad the losers are and the losers saying how much of tryhards or cheaters teh winners are.

sennalike

Oddly enough there is a coincidence; players saying "good game" to others disappeared around the same time as the developers stopped making a good game.  After W@W they began developing games for kids, and that's where it all went wrong.  Kids don't want a technical, strategic warefare game where you have to use your brain.  They want fast paced, quick killing trash.  That's where we are.

rtmgp2002

Well I've been lucky, I have heard good game quite a bit in the last few days.  Usually I mute everyone since I run solo 99% of the time.  I hate the trash talk between matches, which is why I mute,

rtmgp2002

Well I've been lucky, I have heard good game quite a bit in the last few days.  Usually I mute everyone since I run solo 99% of the time.  I hate the trash talk between matches, which is why I mute,

FLi_iNc

"Good Game" "Bad Game" has always been around ,but It has definitly gotten worse.

Oh well..

iEXTERMINATED

In my entire 14 days played I have only one compliment and it was a guy saying congrats on being a legit master prestige the rest all hate mails and what not for handing people what they deserve

matt_michelle

feel on the anger on bo2.maybe off topic but biggest advance in the game i can see is the mute all button gotta give the person who came up with it a raise

Young_Atticus

Played 15 days on BLOPS 1 and never got a "good game."  Only have about 1.8 days on this one and I have gotten it once.  So, you're telling me there's a chance!  He was a nice guy though and we team up every now and again, but most kids these days get trophies for simply showing up to events, so they have no concept of what "good game" even means. 

BlackhawkbillOO7

In the early games MW, W@W, and for the most part MW2 the community was more friendly I guess. I'm not going to stop playing by any means, it's just an observation. I think that the MW2 may have started the greedy player syndrome. That's the game that introduced Challenge Emblems and Cage Match. Boosting just blew up during that period.

ab36

Call of Duty 4 had Cage Match, I'm pretty sure they got rid of it after that game lol But otherwise I tend to agree, MW2 is where everything started getting crazy, with people commando knifing, quickscoping, no scoping, etc. (people quickscoped and no scoped in Call of Duty 4 but it wasn't nearly as bad)

BlackhawkbillOO7

All I played on COD 4 was Free-For-All and Team Death Match. I never even noticed the other game modes until the end of W@W. LOL!!! The boosting in MW2 was crazy...it was because everyone wanted a certain emblem or the Nuke.

iEXTERMINATED

Don't you think boosting has increased in BO2 with all the HS you need to get gold weapon

ae_gs

I have only seen two boosters in BO2 and they were in free for all and they didn't even win.  I messaged them and said that they couldn't even beat me boosting.  The next game the booster got the game winning killcam and you could see all the dead bodies in front of him.  I was looking for them both games, but I never found them.  They were underneath on hijacked.

MW2 was the worst for boosting.  It was the first game the tac was in and you had to get headshots for camos.

BlackhawkbillOO7

That's a good question...I initially thought that boosting would disappear once people realized that the games were able to be recorded. But I don't think it made a difference in curbing the boosting. I think that there is a generation of gamer that are coming up that have no concept of what the differences are between acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior. This is evident when you see a YouTube video from 10 year old kid instructing people on how to create a lag switch. The thought of actually having to work for something is unbearable for some of these players.

ab36

Basically though as more kids and teens got the game (around MW2, when it really started to break the records), you heard how disrespectful and undisciplined much of the young generations are. Not all of them are bad, of course, but many of them have no idea what it is to be respectful or courteous, and you put them behind a monitor/tv screen with a mic and their irresponsible conduct is multiplied tenfold. Makes you wonder where some of the parents are, or what they're teaching (or if they are at all). There are still some cool people playing but man, it's ridiculous sometimes.

But as far as the 20 year old+ people that act just as bad, they probably didn't listen to their parents either growing up lol Most players wouldn't say about 99% of the things they do if they were talking face to face with someone. Sigh...

ae_gs

I was playing dom the other night and had 11 caps 9 defends with 33 kills and someone on the other team got a stealth chopper and a vsat and I was like how did they do that.  The game ended and the guy on the other team had 37 kills and a 3 kdr and I sent him a message that said good game and asked him if he had a clan.  He said it was a good game and he already had a clan.

BlackhawkbillOO7

So I just played a HC CTF by myself and was put in a match with a bunch of random's...It was on Slums so I just proceeded to beat feet towards the flag...on the way there I was confronted by numerous enemies...I killed them and while I was killing them I was accused of spawn trapping, camping, and tryharding...LOL!!! All the while I was heading towards their flag...I grabbed it and ran it back for the capture...4 times. I did this and all the while I was still being accused of the above...I'm not going to lie the other team sucked and were easy to kill for a change. The new gaming generation seems to be just a bunch of Deflectors unable to accept any responsibility...Sad...

r8edtripx

The trash-talking isn't just from the opposing team. People are constantly talking smack on the same team; Even if it's not addressed toward me, it's still annoying to even listen to all that garbage.

That's why, I really wish that once you muted everyone, that even new-comers to the lobby would be automatically muted. It's not worth wading through all the douches to get to talk to some cool random teammates.

Kind of a shame.

However, the general douchiness of the online COD community won't stop me from playing and having fun. Even though I've hit max prestige, I'm still enjoying Black Ops 2. I'm pretty happy with the DLCmaps, which, for me, added life to BO2.

iEXTERMINATED

same thing happened to good game that happened to spanking

"FADED"

KaosPanikDsorder

My favorite ones are the 9 and 10 years olds talking trash about how the have sex with people moms after a big win. Really? I hear them and reply with, "What are you???? 9, 10???? 5???" It really turns my stomach that todays generation and heck, even adults resort to this unsprtsman like conduct. I agree with this post. What the heck ever happened to a simple "Good Game"? As well as good sportsmanship. I guess that animal is extinct now days, or extremely rare.

ladylucina

Because cod has become,

COD= Childrens Online Daycare

Really? You're upset because someone didn't say good game? I bet you support kids getting participation trophies and the no child left behind crap too....

Seriously, I think something is severely wrong with the enemy if the say good game after a one sided victory. If its a close game, cool say good game, but don't expect it. Just play the game and stop worrying about what other people do.      

theroc23

I actually hear "good game" quite a bit, but admittingly there's much more assholery, bragging, and accusitory BS going on.

I'm fairly new to FPS gaming, but in my opinion the developers are somewhat responsible for bringing out the worst in some people. The ability to shoot your own teammates, the ability to steal from teammates and etc just brings out the crap. The scoring system is totally whacked too. I don't know how many times I've heard some idiot extolling in TDM "I got the most kils! I got the most kills" or "Yeah *******! Take that ****!" while they're sitting on 19-18 or sumsuch. Lol

RoidKi11

Damn kids these days!  Back in my day...

Haha...you should (maybe you did) have been playing Starcraft back in the late 90's.  If you think these kids are bad, the Korean's that played Ladder were a bunch of poor sports if there ever where any.  I would always type a "good game" regardless of their attitudes.  It's better to kill Internet tough guys off with kindness.  I pretty much make it a practice to mass mute everyone in a lobby as soon as I enter.  Just ignore it...it's the Internet.

the_murf53

Too many kids now and too many internet tough guys and most of these internet tough guys are 16 year old virgins sitting in their parents basement alone on a friday night.  COD used to be an adult game pretty much.  It was mostly adults who played it or teenagers who weren't complete tools.  I notice most of the trash talking coming from the kids though.  "1v1 me.  1v1 me.  You're garbage kid (an 11 year old calling a 30 year old a kid) GOML kid GOML meanwhile he weant 4-20 and I went 40-10 lol.  It's actually quite amusing sometimes but it really is annoying.  

Is it possible to hack this game on PS3?

No one ever accuse me of hacking, because i'm not good

jeepchick

I've always said GG and most people say it back, almost a reflex leftover from Little League.