20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 1:11 AM by gallp13 RSS

New thought  - - - -  -Killcams and lag

starbuckfrack

Now forgive my thought processes due to a stroke a few weeks ago, at least I cant now type pretty good. So forgive me if this dont make sense.

One of the new regulars on this forum put up a good detailed video of the timing , etc of the killcam in the game. Too bad he disappeared.

But he said stuff like the killcam has a certain amount of time before you get killed when the killcam begins and ends , etc.

Now due to the fact the killcam does usually come up for at least half a second before most good players cancel it....

Does some of the regulars here think the "rewinding of the killcam" causes some of this game to lag ? Change that I mean actual Xbox game lag and nt things like latency etc.

I am assuming since BF3 shows the "present players killcam" that this causes little lag in the game compared to the 2.5 second the game has to rewind in COD.

• Re: New thought  - - - -  -Killcams and lag

I have battlefield 3 and play quite a bit but never see a killcam, only see the position of the guy who killed me in 3rd person.

deucedouglas

I don't think so. There've been killcams for a while now so I wouldn't say that it's much of an issue. I think the overall level of the average person's internet is lower than it may have been some years ago. I went back and played MW2 a while ago and had the same connection issues that I had in MW3 and that game ran nearly flawless when it was fully populated.

I think there is a wider range of connections now as well as less of a middle ground than there was before which creates such a disparity from game to game.

PerEverto13

Last night i decided to jump on core DOM, being a HC player and wanting to get used to the scoring system as well as flag layouts for some maps. I noticed imediately that there was soo much more lag in core VS HC. Im not talking about length of timw to kill either, i mean honest to goodness lag. People shooting across my screen, teleporting, unable to move at time. I went to a HC game to see if it was my connection needing to be reset, and it played like butter. Thinking it was just a bad host so jumped back into core DOM. I must have went through 7 or so rooms usually playing it all the way before finding another. 2 were so bad i couldnt do it so i quit those lobbies. In one instance i saw a guy teleport towards the little qhite covered and sectioned walk way by B flag, laying down using a sniper i turned to fire at him from the grass next to the open window room over looking DOM flag. I could see his GT. All at once he was gone. I figured damn lag he went right through that walkway before i could even raise scope and fire. Next thing i know he jumps out the window and gets a free headshot. Like i said i could see his GT it was the same guy.

Disgusted i quit for the night. It honestly made me just give up for a night. Thinking back on it now, it become so clear that it was the connections i ever had. It wasnt that way in HC? So why is it in core? This could well be whats happening.

P.S. Sorry to hear about that man. I hope you get to feeling well soon.

blb128

I call B.S on this one. I play core and I rarely see people teleporting. When I do its cause of a bad host or its one player with a terrible connection. I sometimes play with a guy that skips or teleports but its his terrible  connection.

PerEverto13

I dont know what you want me to tell you dude. Im not one for BSing people, and i can honestly say it what was happening on ky screen last night. Why or how i dont know. Though from perspective this theory could explain it. Is that me saying "aha! Thats what it was!" no it isnt. What it is me saying is i have expierenced interesting this in core that i have never expierenced in HC. Im sorry that upsets you so much guy...

starbuckfrack

Changed some of post to "Does some of the regulars here think the "rewinding of the killcam" causes some of this game to lag ? Change that I mean actual Xbox game lag and nt things like latency etc."

to keep out the haters

PerEverto13

Best made plans...haters gonna hate lol

FalconR6

I think I know what you mean here. Lag type 1 (Xbox): screen jitter, teleporting, ie visable lag. Lag type 2 (latency): the one which makes you feel like your behind the play or if lucky ahead.

Those who have read my posts in the past know that I converted to HC after 7 prestiges in Core (played Core almost exclusively in past Cods) - so I reckon I can give good feedback in regards to the differences in HC/Core. There is no doubt in my mind that HC has less lag, both types. But, sticking to your brief Starbuck Lag type 1 is caused by bad host or self inflicted (your own connection isn't passing data effectively). It's clearly exhasabated when extra data occurs - for instance when killstreaks are called in jittery screen occurs; it follows in my logic that Killcams have ability to induce lag - the game's thinking  . There is a lot less "thinking" going on in HC and thus it plays smoother.

Similarly to Killcams, Theatre has effects. From experience - in BO1 when I disabled Theatre less lag occurred, not much mind you, but enough for me to smh at BO2 not having the disable function.

Obviously when connectivity is high ( yours, host, and related to others) Lag type 1 disappears.

bkblazer

Even though I see what you call Lag1, that doesn't happen often and doesn't bother me at all. Lag 2 on the other hand, Is very obvious for me when I'm host and that is very often. For me, it doesn't matter if I'm in core or HC. Host disadvantage has me raging in both gametypes.

FalconR6

Trust me, I can sympathize when it comes to what I described as lag type 2   . But, Starbuck wanted to leave out latency in this thread. More than happy to discuss lag 2 in a different thread. Keeping threads more specific creates better discussions. I went off topic in my reply as it is 

may i wish you a speedy recovery with your stroke, i know they can have terrible consequences and are very difficult to spot especially minor ones.

PerEverto13

Best post of the thread so far...

starbuckfrack

It was minor but I cannot concentrate enough to actually do work sometimes.

12 hours after the stroke the doctors did an MRI and could not detect that I was having one. I told them I said I already had one 12 hours before.

But I have to get used to an all new lifestyle. Lucky my wife is behind me all the way.

acm2010

Wish you a quick recovery Sir. My grandfather is 80yrs old and just had a stroke last month. He got out of the hospital rehab center last friday. Which is why I do not play BO2 that much now a days.

Now back on topic. I do see some form of lag when the kill cam comes up. Now what FalconR6 says about Lag 2 I see way too often in core, but in HC it's mor like 3 out of 7 games from what I can remember. Haven't played BO2 in about 2 weeks.

You may be able to answer this one: Does the Cam recoder for theater cause any lag?

starbuckfrack

acm2010 wrote:

Wish you a quick recovery Sir. My grandfather is 80yrs old and just had a stroke last month. He got out of the hospital rehab center last friday. Which is why I do not play BO2 that much now a days.

Now back on topic. I do see some form of lag when the kill cam comes up. Now what FalconR6 says about Lag 2 I see way too often in core, but in HC it's mor like 3 out of 7 games from what I can remember. Haven't played BO2 in about 2 weeks.

You may be able to answer this one: Does the Cam recoder for theater cause any lag?

No Macc come up with that question about 3 years ago. He said theater recording doesnt cause lag.

gallp13

Buck,

I think you are onto something and have often pondered this matter. Good thread. Btw It made perfect sense to me. S'pose our brains are wired the same

Also, wish you a speedy recovery. One good thing, you get to post more, which means I get to read more of your stuff over a red. Both of which I enjoy immensely